|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Plutarch claim that Demosthenes became the best orator of his time?
(a) By practicing long hours to develop a dramatic, persuasive style.
(b) He was trained in rhetorical arts by Aristotle.
(c) He had a natural flare that came naturally.
(d) He was an avid reader and often quoted from the ancient masters.
2. Who led a conspiracy to overthrow the Roman Government that Plutarch reports Cicero exposed in the Senate?
3. Who does Plutarch report was to be successor to Artaxerxes throne?
(a) His scheming son, Ochus.
(b) His oldest son Darius.
(c) His favorite son, Ariaspes.
(d) His second son, Arsames.
4. What does Plutarch consider to be the difference between the reasons that Demosthenes and Cicero fled from the authorities?
(a) The bribery accusation from which Demosthenes fled was less honorable than Cicero's flight for opposing Caesar's son's rule.
(b) The call to war that brought Athenians to despise Demosthenes was more admirable than Cicero's flight because he made enemies of powerful leaders.
(c) Demosthenes flight for speaking truth to power was more noble that Cicero's flight out of fear because he had insulted a powerful general.
(d) Demosthenes fled because his rhetoric made him the enemies of the powerful, but Cicero left for the humiliation of insulting his superiors.
5. How did Plutarch explain the tyrrant, Nicocles, rose to power?
(a) He assassinated Paseas.
(b) He took power from the other two members of a triumvirate.
(c) He invaded Sicyon and destroyed the leaders there.
(d) He inherited the position from his father.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Plutarch identify as being responsible for opposing and turning back the legal and land reforms that were won by Caius as tribune?
2. Who does Plutarch identify as predecessor to Galba as emperor of Rome?
3. Who did wealthy land owners influence from the Senate to oppose Tiberius' efforts at land reform, according to Plutarch?
4. What did Plutarch claim to be the differences in motivation between Demosthenes and Cicero?
5. According to Plutarch, what was Artaxerxes' name before he became king?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Plutarch suggest Caesar showed favor to Brutus despite Brutus siding with Pompey during the civil war with Caesar?
2. What does Plutarch claim was the result of Opimius undoing the land reforms that Caius enacted?
3. What did Plutarch identify as the marks of Cicero's oratory style?
4. What does Plutarch consider to be the difference in the deaths of the Gracci and the Spartans?
5. How did Plutarch report that Demetrius fell in and out of favor with Athenians?
6. What steps did Plutarch describe that gave Tiberius the ability to pass his land reform laws?
7. How does Plutarch show the differences in the personalities between Demosthenes and Cicero through their rhetorical style?
8. Why does Plutarch claim that Philip had Atarus poisoned?
9. How does Plutarch claim Artaxerxes averted war with the Spartans?
10. Why does Plutarch claim that Dion was banished from the court of young Dionysius?
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)