|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Plutarch explain that Aratus finally end Nicocles' reign over Sicyon?
(a) He conducted a covert insurrection and drove Nicocles from his house.
(b) He used his rhetorical skills to inspire the population to establish its own government.
(c) He led a revolution in Sicyon to overthrow all the tyrants.
(d) He conducted a military confrontation against the army of Sicyon.
2. After the death of Tiberius, what did Plutarch report to be the first office to which his brother, Caius was elected?
3. How did Plutarch compare the deaths of "The Roman Brothers" to "The Spartans"?
(a) Plutarch's record of "The Spartans" death is the only one that is not violent, but he was impressed with how "The Roman Brothers" died in battle.
(b) Plutarch believes both died nobly pursuing what they felt was the best for their people.
(c) Plutarch believes that "The Spartans" died more courageously than did "The Roman Brothers"?
(d) Plutarch believes that "The Roman" brothers died nobly defending their principles, but "The Spartans" died from an unwise pursuit of war.
4. Why does Plutarch consider Demetrius' death more dishonorable than Antony's?
(a) Because Demetrius died after rebelling against his country.
(b) Because Demetrius died from alcoholism.
(c) Because Demetrius died fleeing from his own army.
(d) Because Demetrius died in captivity after a failed military adventure.
5. What does Plutarch consider to be the difference in the military achievements between Dion and Brutus?
(a) Dion favored closed confrontations, but Brutus preferred fighting in open fields.
(b) Dion was the better general, but Brutus faced a more worthy opponent.
(c) Brutus was a better general, but Dion faced more worthy opponents.
(d) Don was a better tactician, but Brutus was more courageous.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Ochus come to succeed Artaxerxes, according to Plutarch?
2. How did Plutarch explain the difference between Tiberius and Caius when they delivered speeches?
3. How does Plutarch explain public anger both Dion and Brutus received for their stands against Dionysius II and Caesar respectively?
4. How did Plutarch characterize the differences in the changes in government "The Roman Brothers" and "The Spartans" sought to achieve?
5. For what did Plutarch claim that Artaxerxes I of Persia was known?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Plutarch report that Artaxerxes had his son, Darius, executed?
2. How does Plutarch show the differences in the personalities between Demosthenes and Cicero through their rhetorical style?
3. According to Plutarch, why did Atarus leave Sicyon to grow up and get educated in Argos?
4. How did Plutarch show the differences in the motivations for speaking between Demosthenes and Cicero?
5. How does Plutarch compare the deaths of Demetrius and Antony?
6. What is a primary difference that can be inferred between the ancient Spartan civilization and the ancient Roman Empire from Plutarch's comparison between the Gracchi and the Spartans?
7. How did Plutarch report that Demetrius fell in and out of favor with Athenians?
8. What important position does Plutarch report Atarus took with Achaea, a league of Greek cities?
9. What does Plutarch report to be the condition of Rome as Tiberius began his political career in Rome?
10. What does Plutarch consider to be the difference in the deaths of the Gracci and the Spartans?
This section contains 1,075 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)