|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Ochus come to succeed Artaxerxes, according to Plutarch?
(a) He murdered his brother Arsames and drove his other brother Ariaspes to suicide.
(b) He bribed his father.
(c) He avoided war, but his brothers died in war.
(d) He was the favorite of his mother.
2. How does Plutarch report that Demosthenes and Cicero showed the differences in their personalities through their speeches?
(a) Demosthenes was trivial and lighthearted, but Cicero was somber and deliberate.
(b) Demosthenes was somber and deliberte, but Cicero was trivial and lighthearted.
(c) Demosthenes was serious and eloquent, but Cicero loved to jest and make fun of his opponents.
(d) Demosthenes loved to just and make fun of his opponents, but Cicero was serious and eloquent.
3. Why did Plutarch claim that Tiberius was beaten to death on the Senate Floor?
(a) Because the senate was convinced that he was involved in the conspiracy against Caesar by Antony.
(b) Because homeless soldiers got tired of waiting for his success and stormed the senate floor and cornered Tiberius.
(c) Because landowners became frustrated by his persistence and decided to end it in the senate.
(d) Because Octavius made a speech that associated Tiberius' actions with those who had ambitions to become king.
4. What is the reason Plutarch gives for Aratus deciding to make alliance with Philip of Macedon?
(a) To prevent being attacked by Philip.
(b) To defend Greece from the Spartans.
(c) Cleomenes' victories over nearly all Achaean cities.
(d) To benefit from the empire Philip was building.
5. What tyrannical Syracusan King does Plutarch report Dion served as he became wealthy?
(a) Dionysius II.
(d) Dionysius I.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Plutarch explain that Aratus finally end Nicocles' reign over Sicyon?
2. What does Plutarch consider to be the difference in the military achievements between Dion and Brutus?
3. What did Plutarch claim to be the differences in motivation between Demosthenes and Cicero?
4. Why does Plutarch claim that Cicero's leading the execution of conspirators to overthrow Rome was controversial?
5. According to Plutarch, why was the issue still alive for Tiberius in spite of previous efforts to address the issue?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Plutarch consider to be the difference in the deaths of the Gracci and the Spartans?
2. According to Plutarch, how did Tiberius' death affect Caius' entry into Roman politics?
3. What does Plutarch claim Atarus did to free Sicyon from the tyrant Nicocles?
4. Why does Plutarch claim that Philip had Atarus poisoned?
5. What did Plutarch consider to be the difference between the several wives that Demetrius took as opposed to Antony taking up with Cleopatra?
6. How did Plutarch report that Demetrius fell in and out of favor with Athenians?
7. How did Plutarch show the differences in the motivations for speaking between Demosthenes and Cicero?
8. How did Artaxerxes become King of Persia, according to Plutarch?
9. Why does Plutarch claim that Dion was banished from the court of young Dionysius?
10. How did Ochus put himself in line to inherit Artaxerxes throne according to Plutarch?
This section contains 980 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)