|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Plutarch report to be the differences between Rome and Sparta at the time "The Roman Brothers" and "The Spartans" had their influence?
(a) "The Roman Brothers" lived at the time that Rome had risen to its greatest repute, but "The Spartans" lived when Sparta was sinking and debauched.
(b) "The Roman Brothers" lived as Rome was transitioning from a Republic to an Empire, but "The Spartans" lived as Sparta was coming to the end of extended captivity to Macedon.
(c) "The Roman Brothers" became part of a movement to unite the provinces of Rome, but "The Spartans" were fighting to free Sparta from Macedonian domination.
(d) "The Roman Brothers" lived in a time of rebellion against Rome by its extended provinces, but "The Spartans" were part of a time of peace and industry.
2. How did Plutarch explain the difference between Tiberius and Caius when they delivered speeches?
(a) Tiberius was verbose and theatrical; Caius was slow and methodical.
(b) Tiberius was confrontational; Caius was diplomatic.
(c) Tiberius was rehearsed and serious; Caius was sarcastic and whimisical.
(d) Tiberius was gentle and composed, and Caius was earnest and vehement.
3. Where did Demosthenes encourage Greeks to resist the rule of Philip and Alexander, according to Plutarch?
(a) On the streets of Athens.
(b) At the battle of Chaeronea.
(c) Through a Greek defensive alliance called Achaea.
(d) In the Athenian Assembly.
4. Who did Demetrius kill to take the throne of Macedon, according to Plutarch?
(a) Alexander, son of Cassander.
(b) Alexander, son of Philip.
5. How did Plutarch explain the tyrrant, Nicocles, rose to power?
(a) He assassinated Paseas.
(b) He invaded Sicyon and destroyed the leaders there.
(c) He inherited the position from his father.
(d) He took power from the other two members of a triumvirate.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Plutarch claim came of Caius after his death?
2. Where does Plutarch claim that Demosthenes was when he committed suicide to avoid capture by the Macedonians?
3. Why did Plutarch report Cyrus attempted to overthrow Artaxerxes?
4. Who led a conspiracy to overthrow the Roman Government that Plutarch reports Cicero exposed in the Senate?
5. Why does Plutarch suggest that Dion was banished from Syracuse by the supporters of Dionysisus' son, Dionysisus II?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Plutarch describe the defeat of Brutus after the death of Caesar?
2. 1.What does Plutarch recognize as the major difference between the governing styles between the Gracchi and the Spartans?
3. What did Plutarch consider to be the difference between the several wives that Demetrius took as opposed to Antony taking up with Cleopatra?
4. How does Plutarch claim Artaxerxes averted war with the Spartans?
5. According to Plutarch, why did Atarus leave Sicyon to grow up and get educated in Argos?
6. What is a primary difference that can be inferred between the ancient Spartan civilization and the ancient Roman Empire from Plutarch's comparison between the Gracchi and the Spartans?
7. What did Plutarch identify as the marks of Cicero's oratory style?
8. How does Plutarch claim that Demosthenes become the best orator of his time?
9. What does Plutarch consider to be the difference in the deaths of the Gracci and the Spartans?
10. What does Plutarch claim was the result of Opimius undoing the land reforms that Caius enacted?
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)