|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Plutarch, who prevented Cyrus from assassinating Artaxerxes at his inaugural ceremonies as king?
(d) Cyrus and Artaxerxes mother.
2. What does Plutarch report that Antony did after his first reaction the Assassination of Caesar?
(a) He delivered a speech that turned the Roman population against Brutus and Cassius.
(b) Joined Octavius and Lepidus in a triumvirate.
(c) Organized a tribunal to judge the members of the conspiracy.
(d) Began a civil war to punish Brutus and Cassius.
3. After Dion drove Donysius II from Syracuse, what does Plutarch claim came of his attempt to form a government?
(a) He could not get leaders of factions to agree.
(b) He was chased from the city by supporters of Dionysius II.
(c) He proved to be unable to implement his plans.
(d) A popular faction opposed his plans.
4. Where did Demosthenes encourage Greeks to resist the rule of Philip and Alexander, according to Plutarch?
(a) Through a Greek defensive alliance called Achaea.
(b) In the Athenian Assembly.
(c) At the battle of Chaeronea.
(d) On the streets of Athens.
5. Why did Plutarch report Cyrus attempted to overthrow Artaxerxes?
(a) Cyrus listened to factious men that voiced the opinion that the times and size of the Persian Empire required a leader with Cyrus' talents.
(b) Because Artaxerxes' son, Darius, convinced him he would share power with him.
(c) Because the people of Persia could not support anymore wars.
(d) Because Cyrus knew he would have his mother's support.
Short Answer Questions
1. What tyrannical Syracusan King does Plutarch report Dion served as he became wealthy?
2. With whom does Plutarch report that Cicero joined in a conspiracy with against the son of Caesar?
3. What did Plutarch claim came of Caius after his death?
4. According to Plutarch, why was the issue still alive for Tiberius in spite of previous efforts to address the issue?
5. What does Plutarch claim Demosthenes did with his suicide?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Plutarch consider to be the difference in the deaths of the Gracci and the Spartans?
2. What steps did Plutarch describe that gave Tiberius the ability to pass his land reform laws?
3. How did Plutarch describe the defeat of Brutus after the death of Caesar?
4. What difference does Plutarch recognize in the raising of the Gracchi Brothers (Tiberius and Caius) and The Spartans (Agis and Cleomenes)?
5. How did Plutarch show the differences in the motivations for speaking between Demosthenes and Cicero?
6. Why does Plutarch claim that Philip had Atarus poisoned?
7. What is a primary difference that can be inferred between the ancient Spartan civilization and the ancient Roman Empire from Plutarch's comparison between the Gracchi and the Spartans?
8. According to Plutarch, how did Tiberius' death affect Caius' entry into Roman politics?
9. What did Plutarch consider to be the difference between the several wives that Demetrius took as opposed to Antony taking up with Cleopatra?
10. How does Plutarch compare the deaths of Demetrius and Antony?
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)