|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What role did Antony eventually take in Rome, according to Plutarch, after Caesar's assassination?
(a) He took power with Lepidius and Octavian in a triumvirate similar to the one formed by Caesar, Pompey, and Crassus.
(b) He became the lead diplomat to Egypt.
(c) He became one of Rome's most powerful generals.
(d) He became the consul of the senate.
2. Why did Plutarch claim that Tiberius was beaten to death on the Senate Floor?
(a) Because Octavius made a speech that associated Tiberius' actions with those who had ambitions to become king.
(b) Because the senate was convinced that he was involved in the conspiracy against Caesar by Antony.
(c) Because homeless soldiers got tired of waiting for his success and stormed the senate floor and cornered Tiberius.
(d) Because landowners became frustrated by his persistence and decided to end it in the senate.
3. What does Plutarch identify as the difference in the characters between "The Roman Brothers" and "The Spartans"?
(a) "The Roman Brothers" sought to serve the Romans, but "The Spartans" sought to inspire revolution against Sparta's kings.
(b) "The Roman Brothers" had a desire to strengthen the systems of the Senate, but "The Spartans" sought to place all power in a single king.
(c) "The Roman Brothers" aspired to despotic power, but "The Spartans had a desire for glory and honors.
(d) "The Roman Brothers" had a desire for glory and honors, but "The Spartans" loved contests and aspired to despotic power.
4. According to Plutarch, for what was Cicero's rhetoric noted?
(a) Planned and methodical logic.
(b) Somber and serious focus.
(c) Fiery emotion and revolutionary appeal.
(d) Sharp wit, constant joking, and sarcastic remarks.
5. Which one of the four being compared does Plutarch report had no great action worthy of a commander?
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Plutarch claim Artaxerxes avoided a war with the Spartans?
2. How does Plutarch explain public anger both Dion and Brutus received for their stands against Dionysius II and Caesar respectively?
3. How did Plutarch explain the difference between Tiberius and Caius when they delivered speeches?
4. What does Plutarch consider to be the difference between the reasons that Demosthenes and Cicero fled from the authorities?
5. Who did Plutarch report to be the first Roman official to try to take up the issue that confronted Tiberius after his election as tribune?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Plutarch show the differences in the motivations for speaking between Demosthenes and Cicero?
2. What important position does Plutarch report Atarus took with Achaea, a league of Greek cities?
3. How does Plutarch show the differences in the personalities between Demosthenes and Cicero through their rhetorical style?
4. Why does Plutarch report that Artaxerxes had his son, Darius, executed?
5. 1.What does Plutarch recognize as the major difference between the governing styles between the Gracchi and the Spartans?
6. What does Plutarch claim Atarus did to free Sicyon from the tyrant Nicocles?
7. What steps did Plutarch describe that gave Tiberius the ability to pass his land reform laws?
8. What did Plutarch identify as the marks of Cicero's oratory style?
9. How did Artaxerxes become King of Persia, according to Plutarch?
10. What does Plutarch claim was the result of Opimius undoing the land reforms that Caius enacted?
This section contains 1,001 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)