|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What role did Antony eventually take in Rome, according to Plutarch, after Caesar's assassination?
(a) He became one of Rome's most powerful generals.
(b) He became the lead diplomat to Egypt.
(c) He took power with Lepidius and Octavian in a triumvirate similar to the one formed by Caesar, Pompey, and Crassus.
(d) He became the consul of the senate.
2. Where does Plutarch claim that Demosthenes was when he committed suicide to avoid capture by the Macedonians?
(a) In the Athenian Assembly.
(b) A temple in Calauria.
(c) In his home in Athens.
(d) On his way to the public baths.
3. Where did Demosthenes encourage Greeks to resist the rule of Philip and Alexander, according to Plutarch?
(a) Through a Greek defensive alliance called Achaea.
(b) In the Athenian Assembly.
(c) On the streets of Athens.
(d) At the battle of Chaeronea.
4. How does Plutarch claim that Demosthenes became the best orator of his time?
(a) He had a natural flare that came naturally.
(b) By practicing long hours to develop a dramatic, persuasive style.
(c) He was an avid reader and often quoted from the ancient masters.
(d) He was trained in rhetorical arts by Aristotle.
5. What is the reason Plutarch gives for Aratus deciding to make alliance with Philip of Macedon?
(a) To prevent being attacked by Philip.
(b) To defend Greece from the Spartans.
(c) To benefit from the empire Philip was building.
(d) Cleomenes' victories over nearly all Achaean cities.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Plutarch, what was the difference in political support between "The Roman Brothers" and "The Spartans"?
2. How did Plutarch characterize the differences in the changes in government "The Roman Brothers" and "The Spartans" sought to achieve?
3. What did Plutarch claim came of Caius after his death?
4. What does Plutarch report that Antony did after his first reaction the Assassination of Caesar?
5. Who did Plutarch identify as being responsible for opposing and turning back the legal and land reforms that were won by Caius as tribune?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Plutarch, why did Atarus leave Sicyon to grow up and get educated in Argos?
2. What does Plutarch report to be the condition of Rome as Tiberius began his political career in Rome?
3. How does Plutarch compare the deaths of Demetrius and Antony?
4. How did Artaxerxes become King of Persia, according to Plutarch?
5. What does Plutarch claim Atarus did to free Sicyon from the tyrant Nicocles?
6. Why does Plutarch report that Artaxerxes had his son, Darius, executed?
7. How does Plutarch claim that Demosthenes become the best orator of his time?
8. What difference does Plutarch recognize in the raising of the Gracchi Brothers (Tiberius and Caius) and The Spartans (Agis and Cleomenes)?
9. How did Antony inspire a revolt against the assassins of Caesar, according to Plutarch?
10. What does Plutarch consider to be the difference in the deaths of the Gracci and the Spartans?
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)