|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Plutarch, for what was Cicero's rhetoric noted?
(a) Planned and methodical logic.
(b) Sharp wit, constant joking, and sarcastic remarks.
(c) Somber and serious focus.
(d) Fiery emotion and revolutionary appeal.
2. How did Plutarch compare the deaths of "The Roman Brothers" to "The Spartans"?
(a) Plutarch believes both died nobly pursuing what they felt was the best for their people.
(b) Plutarch believes that "The Spartans" died more courageously than did "The Roman Brothers"?
(c) Plutarch believes that "The Roman" brothers died nobly defending their principles, but "The Spartans" died from an unwise pursuit of war.
(d) Plutarch's record of "The Spartans" death is the only one that is not violent, but he was impressed with how "The Roman Brothers" died in battle.
3. What did Plutarch claim to be the main issue facing Tiberius after he was elected tribune of the people?
(a) Internal improvements to help Rome transport goods in and out of the cities of the empire.
(b) Land reform to restore property taken by the wealthy class while common landowners were fighting wars.
(c) Raising revenues through taxes to support Rome's many wars and Empire.
(d) Reforming the laws to even justice between the wealthy and the poor.
4. In the comparison of Tiberius and Caius Gracchus (henceforth identified here as "The Roman Brothers") with Agis and Cleomenes ("The Spartans"), how does Plutarch refer to Tiberius and Caius as a unit?
(a) Tiberius and Caius.
(b) The Gracchi.
(c) The Romans.
(d) Sons of Gracchus.
5. According to Plutarch, what lead to the death of Aratus' father?
(a) He was chosen to as a magistrate over Sicyon as it tried to relieve itself from several tyrannies.
(b) He was killed by a jealous magistrate wanting to take his power.
(c) He was killed after being exposed as leader of a conspiracy to overthrow a tyranny.
(d) He died in battle for Sicyon.
Short Answer Questions
1. What affect does Plutarch claim Aratus' education and his father's death have on Aratus?
2. What does Plutarch report that Antony did after his first reaction the Assassination of Caesar?
3. Who did wealthy land owners influence from the Senate to oppose Tiberius' efforts at land reform, according to Plutarch?
4. How did Plutarch claim Artaxerxes avoided a war with the Spartans?
5. For what does Plutarch claim Marcus Brutus is known?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Antony inspire a revolt against the assassins of Caesar, according to Plutarch?
2. Why does Plutarch claim that Philip had Atarus poisoned?
3. Why does Plutarch report that Artaxerxes had his son, Darius, executed?
4. What important position does Plutarch report Atarus took with Achaea, a league of Greek cities?
5. What does Plutarch claim was the result of Opimius undoing the land reforms that Caius enacted?
6. What steps did Plutarch describe that gave Tiberius the ability to pass his land reform laws?
7. How did Plutarch compare the military achievements of Brutus and Dion?
8. Why does Plutarch suggest Caesar showed favor to Brutus despite Brutus siding with Pompey during the civil war with Caesar?
9. What does Plutarch consider to be the difference in the deaths of the Gracci and the Spartans?
10. What difference does Plutarch recognize in the raising of the Gracchi Brothers (Tiberius and Caius) and The Spartans (Agis and Cleomenes)?
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)