|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Plutarch explain public anger both Dion and Brutus received for their stands against Dionysius II and Caesar respectively?
(a) The public was angry at Dion for opposing an effective leader, but it was angry at Brutus for not having a trial on Caesar's crimes.
(b) The public was angry at Dion for trying to take Dionysius II's throne, but it was angry at Brutus for turning away from the vacant throne.
(c) The public was angry at Dion for leaving Syracuse after he overthrew Dionysius II, but it was angry at Brutus for not staying in Rome.
(d) The public was angry at Dion for having allowed Dionysius II to escape, but the public was angry with Brutus for killing a popular leader.
2. What honor does Plutarch report this earned for Demetrius and Antigonus from the Athenians?
(a) They were awarded with vineyards and gold.
(b) They were named among the Athenian dieties.
(c) They were given a palace.
(d) They were given powerful positions in the Athenian Assembly.
3. Plutarch's tone in the profile of Aratus changes from his other reports. Why is this?
(a) Plutarch is a decendant of Aratus.
(b) Plutarch declares Aratus to be his most favored figure.
(c) It was written directly to a descendant of Aratus named Polycrates.
(d) Plutarch was commissioned by Aratus' decendants to write the history.
4. According to Plutarch, what was the difference in political support between "The Roman Brothers" and "The Spartans"?
(a) "The Roman Brothers" had strong support from leaders in the senate, but "The Spartans" got their support from military men.
(b) "The Roman Brothers" had their support from military men, but "The Spartans" were supported by the general public.
(c) "The Roman Brothers" were opposed by influential men of their day, but "The Spartans" were supported by history and the authority of one of the most important political leaders of Sparta.
(d) "The Roman Brothers" kept opposition in check with strong support from the plebes, but "The Spartans" won political challenges through forceful personalities.
5. How did Ochus come to succeed Artaxerxes, according to Plutarch?
(a) He was the favorite of his mother.
(b) He murdered his brother Arsames and drove his other brother Ariaspes to suicide.
(c) He bribed his father.
(d) He avoided war, but his brothers died in war.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what does Plutarch claim Marcus Brutus is known?
2. According to Plutarch, what lead to the death of Aratus' father?
3. How does Plutarch explain that Aratus finally end Nicocles' reign over Sicyon?
4. What political difference does Plutarch recognize between "The Spartans"?
5. Why does Plutarch consider Demetrius' death more dishonorable than Antony's?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Artaxerxes become King of Persia, according to Plutarch?
2. 1.What does Plutarch recognize as the major difference between the governing styles between the Gracchi and the Spartans?
3. How did Plutarch report that Demetrius fell in and out of favor with Athenians?
4. What did Plutarch consider to be the difference between the several wives that Demetrius took as opposed to Antony taking up with Cleopatra?
5. What important position does Plutarch report Atarus took with Achaea, a league of Greek cities?
6. What does Plutarch claim was the result of Opimius undoing the land reforms that Caius enacted?
7. What does Plutarch claim Atarus did to free Sicyon from the tyrant Nicocles?
8. According to Plutarch, how did Tiberius' death affect Caius' entry into Roman politics?
9. Why does Plutarch report that Artaxerxes had his son, Darius, executed?
10. What did Plutarch identify as the marks of Cicero's oratory style?
This section contains 1,013 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)