|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Plutarch claim that Caius had to overcome before he was elected to tribune?
(a) False charges that he had been defiant to his authorities as a quaestor, that he had excited insurrections among allies, and had been involved in conspiracies.
(b) His fear that the animosity for his brother still existed.
(c) The unwillingness of the senate to release lands that were under its authority.
(d) The hold that landowners had over the senate.
2. Based upon the intended audience of the profile on Aratus, what does Plutarch establish as his focus?
(a) The desire of other public figures to conduct themselves like Aratus.
(b) The influence that ancestral examples can have on developing the character of children.
(c) The gratitude of the decendants of Aratus.
(d) His personal similarity to the nobility of Aratus.
3. What political difference does Plutarch recognize between "The Spartans"?
(a) Agis showed a lack of determination, but Cleomenes inspired revolution with boldness and violence.
(b) Agis was an uncontrolled revolutionary, but Cleomenes sought peaceful negotiations as a means of change.
(c) Agis depended on sarcastic rhetorical skills, but Cleomenes rhetorical style was theatrical and well rehearsed.
(d) Agis was fiery and relentless, but Cleomenes was methodical and careful.
4. After Dion drove Donysius II from Syracuse, what does Plutarch claim came of his attempt to form a government?
(a) A popular faction opposed his plans.
(b) He proved to be unable to implement his plans.
(c) He could not get leaders of factions to agree.
(d) He was chased from the city by supporters of Dionysius II.
5. According to Plutarch, why was the issue still alive for Tiberius in spite of previous efforts to address the issue?
(a) Crassus' well known animosity for Caesar put his causes on the losing side in the senate.
(b) Caius Laelius folded under political pressure from men of authority.
(c) Scipio could not overcome the political influence of senators who had sold their votes to wealthy landowners.
(d) Cicero's sarcastic rhetorical style alienated more senators than it won over.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what does Plutarch claim Artaxerxes II was known?
2. How did Plutarch explain the tyrrant, Nicocles, rose to power?
3. How did Plutarch compare the deaths of "The Roman Brothers" to "The Spartans"?
4. How did Plutarch characterize the differences in the changes in government "The Roman Brothers" and "The Spartans" sought to achieve?
5. What quote from Plato does Plutarch use to begin a criticism in his profiles of Demetrius and Antony?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Plutarch report that Artaxerxes had his son, Darius, executed?
2. What does Plutarch claim was the result of Opimius undoing the land reforms that Caius enacted?
3. How did Plutarch describe the defeat of Brutus after the death of Caesar?
4. According to Plutarch, why did Atarus leave Sicyon to grow up and get educated in Argos?
5. How does Plutarch show the differences in the personalities between Demosthenes and Cicero through their rhetorical style?
6. Why does Plutarch claim that Philip had Atarus poisoned?
7. How did Plutarch report that Demetrius fell in and out of favor with Athenians?
8. How does Plutarch claim that Demosthenes become the best orator of his time?
9. What did Plutarch consider to be the difference between the several wives that Demetrius took as opposed to Antony taking up with Cleopatra?
10. What important position does Plutarch report Atarus took with Achaea, a league of Greek cities?
This section contains 1,095 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)