|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Plutarch claim Artaxerxes' mother favored Cyrus as king when Darius died?
(a) Because she had given birth to Cyrus after Darius had become king.
(b) Because Artaxerxes' mother became pregnant with him while Cyrus was married to another woman.
(c) Because Artaxerxes travelled on campaigns with his father, while Cyrus stayed and managed the home for his mother.
(d) Because Cyrus was peaceful and Artaxerxes was a warrior.
2. Plutarch's tone in the profile of Aratus changes from his other reports. Why is this?
(a) Plutarch is a decendant of Aratus.
(b) Plutarch was commissioned by Aratus' decendants to write the history.
(c) It was written directly to a descendant of Aratus named Polycrates.
(d) Plutarch declares Aratus to be his most favored figure.
3. What role did Antony eventually take in Rome, according to Plutarch, after Caesar's assassination?
(a) He became the lead diplomat to Egypt.
(b) He became one of Rome's most powerful generals.
(c) He became the consul of the senate.
(d) He took power with Lepidius and Octavian in a triumvirate similar to the one formed by Caesar, Pompey, and Crassus.
4. How did Plutarch explain the difference between Tiberius and Caius when they delivered speeches?
(a) Tiberius was verbose and theatrical; Caius was slow and methodical.
(b) Tiberius was gentle and composed, and Caius was earnest and vehement.
(c) Tiberius was rehearsed and serious; Caius was sarcastic and whimisical.
(d) Tiberius was confrontational; Caius was diplomatic.
5. Who does Plutarch identify as the father of Aratus?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Plutarch consider to be the difference between the reasons that Demosthenes and Cicero fled from the authorities?
2. What did Plutarch report Darius did to prevent his ascension to Artaxerxes' throne?
3. How did Tiberius finally push his land reform law through the Senate, according to Plutarch?
4. How did Ochus come to succeed Artaxerxes, according to Plutarch?
5. Where does Plutarch claim that Demosthenes was when he committed suicide to avoid capture by the Macedonians?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Plutarch claim that Philip had Atarus poisoned?
2. How did Antony inspire a revolt against the assassins of Caesar, according to Plutarch?
3. What did Plutarch identify as the marks of Cicero's oratory style?
4. What steps did Plutarch describe that gave Tiberius the ability to pass his land reform laws?
5. 1.What does Plutarch recognize as the major difference between the governing styles between the Gracchi and the Spartans?
6. How does Plutarch claim that Demosthenes become the best orator of his time?
7. How does Plutarch claim Artaxerxes averted war with the Spartans?
8. How does Plutarch compare the deaths of Demetrius and Antony?
9. What important position does Plutarch report Atarus took with Achaea, a league of Greek cities?
10. How did Plutarch report that Demetrius fell in and out of favor with Athenians?
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)