|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Plutarch suggest Nicocles was wary of Aratus?
(a) Because he had a reputation of being vengeful and rebellious.
(b) Because he had a score to settle with the tyrants of Sicyon.
(c) His character was highly regarded by exiles from Nicocles tyranny.
(d) Because he was known to be a scheming politician.
2. What honor does Plutarch report this earned for Demetrius and Antigonus from the Athenians?
(a) They were given powerful positions in the Athenian Assembly.
(b) They were given a palace.
(c) They were named among the Athenian dieties.
(d) They were awarded with vineyards and gold.
3. How does Plutarch compare the motivations of rebelling between Dion and Brutus?
(a) Dion rebelled for the benefit of Syracusans, but Brutus wanted power.
(b) Many thought Dion sought power for himself, but Brutus wanted only to serve Rome.
(c) Dion rebelled against tyranny, but Brutus sought to restore the Roman Republic.
(d) Many supported Dion's revolution, but Brutus was opposed by the general public.
4. Why does Plutarch consider Demetrius' death more dishonorable than Antony's?
(a) Because Demetrius died fleeing from his own army.
(b) Because Demetrius died from alcoholism.
(c) Because Demetrius died after rebelling against his country.
(d) Because Demetrius died in captivity after a failed military adventure.
5. Why does Plutarch claim that Cicero's leading the execution of conspirators to overthrow Rome was controversial?
(a) Because executions of failed conspirators was rare.
(b) Because the conspiracy involved Rome's most important generals.
(c) Because they were done without a trial.
(d) Because Romans abhorred violence.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which one of the four being compared does Plutarch report had no great action worthy of a commander?
2. How was Cyrus' effort to overthrow Artaxerxes ended, according to Plutarch?
3. Who does Plutarch identify as the father of Aratus?
4. How does Plutarch explain that Aratus finally end Nicocles' reign over Sicyon?
5. How did Plutarch claim Artaxerxes avoided a war with the Spartans?
Short Essay Questions
1. What difference does Plutarch recognize in the raising of the Gracchi Brothers (Tiberius and Caius) and The Spartans (Agis and Cleomenes)?
2. What does Plutarch claim Atarus did to free Sicyon from the tyrant Nicocles?
3. How does Plutarch show the differences in the personalities between Demosthenes and Cicero through their rhetorical style?
4. How did Antony inspire a revolt against the assassins of Caesar, according to Plutarch?
5. What does Plutarch consider to be the difference in the deaths of the Gracci and the Spartans?
6. How did Artaxerxes become King of Persia, according to Plutarch?
7. According to Plutarch, how did Tiberius' death affect Caius' entry into Roman politics?
8. Why does Plutarch suggest Caesar showed favor to Brutus despite Brutus siding with Pompey during the civil war with Caesar?
9. What does Plutarch claim was the result of Opimius undoing the land reforms that Caius enacted?
10. How did Plutarch report that Demetrius fell in and out of favor with Athenians?
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)