|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Plutarch, what was the difference in political support between "The Roman Brothers" and "The Spartans"?
(a) "The Roman Brothers" had strong support from leaders in the senate, but "The Spartans" got their support from military men.
(b) "The Roman Brothers" were opposed by influential men of their day, but "The Spartans" were supported by history and the authority of one of the most important political leaders of Sparta.
(c) "The Roman Brothers" had their support from military men, but "The Spartans" were supported by the general public.
(d) "The Roman Brothers" kept opposition in check with strong support from the plebes, but "The Spartans" won political challenges through forceful personalities.
2. Who does Plutarch claim led a successful conspiracy to murder Dion?
(a) His friend, Callippus.
(b) His half brother Ochus.
(c) His brother Thearides.
3. Who did Demetrius kill to take the throne of Macedon, according to Plutarch?
(a) Alexander, son of Philip.
(d) Alexander, son of Cassander.
4. What is the first difference that Plutarch found between Demetrius and Antony?
(a) Demetrius lived a restrained life, but Antony was a victim of his vices.
(b) Demetrius was a willing mercenary, but Antony fought only for the glory of Rome.
(c) Demetrius was born into a humble family, but Antony was born into wealth.
(d) Demetrius' father proved his power as a great battle general, but Antony's father was not a warrior.
5. How does Plutarch explain the differences in the public acceptance with Demetrius' collection of wives and mistresses and Antony's affair with Cleopatra?
(a) Demetrius pursued both wealthy and common women, but Antony only pursued wealthy women.
(b) Demetrius only married Spartan women, but Antony pursued women of many nationalities.
(c) Demetrius married many women to leave many sons, Antony only pursued women to enhance his political status.
(d) The Spartans commonly practiced polygamy whereas monogamy was the standard in Rome.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Plutarch identify as the primary difference between "The Roman Brothers" and "The Spartans"?
2. What tyrannical Syracusan King does Plutarch report Dion served as he became wealthy?
3. What Macedonian King did Plutarch claim regarded Aratus as a trusted adviser?
4. With whom does Plutarch report that Cicero joined in a conspiracy with against the son of Caesar?
5. Why does Plutarch consider Demetrius' death more dishonorable than Antony's?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Plutarch claim that Demosthenes become the best orator of his time?
2. What did Plutarch identify as the marks of Cicero's oratory style?
3. Why does Plutarch report that Artaxerxes had his son, Darius, executed?
4. How did Plutarch compare the military achievements of Brutus and Dion?
5. How did Antony inspire a revolt against the assassins of Caesar, according to Plutarch?
6. How does Plutarch show the differences in the personalities between Demosthenes and Cicero through their rhetorical style?
7. What did Plutarch consider to be the difference between the several wives that Demetrius took as opposed to Antony taking up with Cleopatra?
8. Why does Plutarch claim that Philip had Atarus poisoned?
9. According to Plutarch, how did Tiberius' death affect Caius' entry into Roman politics?
10. Why does Plutarch claim that Dion was banished from the court of young Dionysius?
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)