|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the Macedonian King from which Plutarch reported Demetrius and his father, Antigonus, freed Athens?
2. Which of the four being compared does Plutarch accuse of committing the crime of deposing a fellow elected official?
3. How did Plutarch characterize the differences in the changes in government "The Roman Brothers" and "The Spartans" sought to achieve?
(a) "The Roman Brothers" worked to restore the principles of the Republic, whereas "The Spartans" attempted to rid Sparta of its Greek democratic influence.
(b) "The Roman Brothers" aimed at settling cities, mending highways, and recovering public lands whereas "The Spartans" sought to restore their city to its ancient state.
(c) "The Roman Brothers" sought to restore Rome to its ancient Republic, whereas "The Spartans" sought internal improvements.
(d) "The Roman Brothers" sought to place all power in a king, but "The Spartans" sought democracy.
4. How does Plutarch report that Demosthenes and Cicero showed the differences in their personalities through their speeches?
(a) Demosthenes loved to just and make fun of his opponents, but Cicero was serious and eloquent.
(b) Demosthenes was somber and deliberte, but Cicero was trivial and lighthearted.
(c) Demosthenes was serious and eloquent, but Cicero loved to jest and make fun of his opponents.
(d) Demosthenes was trivial and lighthearted, but Cicero was somber and deliberate.
5. What does Plutarch claim Demosthenes did with his suicide?
(a) Laughed to scorn the cruelty of Antipater.
(b) Cheated Antipater of the opportunity to publicly humiliate him.
(c) Caused great sorrow to the Greeks who marveled in his wisdom.
(d) Satisfied his political opponents in the Athenian Assembly.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Plutarch explain public anger both Dion and Brutus received for their stands against Dionysius II and Caesar respectively?
2. Who does Plutarch report was to be successor to Artaxerxes throne?
3. How does Plutarch explain that Aratus finally end Nicocles' reign over Sicyon?
4. What did Plutarch claim came of Caius after his death?
5. Why does Plutarch suggest that Dion was banished from Syracuse by the supporters of Dionysisus' son, Dionysisus II?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Plutarch claim that Philip had Atarus poisoned?
2. How did Plutarch compare the military achievements of Brutus and Dion?
3. According to Plutarch, how did Tiberius' death affect Caius' entry into Roman politics?
4. Why does Plutarch suggest Caesar showed favor to Brutus despite Brutus siding with Pompey during the civil war with Caesar?
5. What does Plutarch claim was the result of Opimius undoing the land reforms that Caius enacted?
6. What did Plutarch identify as the marks of Cicero's oratory style?
7. What difference does Plutarch recognize in the raising of the Gracchi Brothers (Tiberius and Caius) and The Spartans (Agis and Cleomenes)?
8. How did Plutarch show the differences in the motivations for speaking between Demosthenes and Cicero?
9. According to Plutarch, why did Atarus leave Sicyon to grow up and get educated in Argos?
10. How does Plutarch claim Artaxerxes averted war with the Spartans?
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)