|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Plutarch claim led a successful conspiracy to murder Dion?
(a) His friend, Callippus.
(b) His half brother Ochus.
(d) His brother Thearides.
2. Who led a conspiracy to overthrow the Roman Government that Plutarch reports Cicero exposed in the Senate?
3. What affect does Plutarch claim Aratus' education and his father's death have on Aratus?
(a) He became vengeful and rebellious.
(b) He cultivated a burning hatred of tyranny.
(c) He chose to throw himself into his studies and ignore the problems of Sicyon.
(d) He became suspicious and scheming.
4. What did Plutarch claim to be the differences in motivation between Demosthenes and Cicero?
(a) Demosthenes was motivated by personal gain, but Cicero refused to take any gifts.
(b) Demosthenes sought glory and honor, but Cicero was motivated by personal gain.
(c) Demosthenes was motivated by inspiring Greeks to their past glory, but Cicero was driven by the desire for glory.
(d) Demosthenes was humble and generous, but Cicero was impulsive and greedy.
5. According to Plutarch, what was the difference in political support between "The Roman Brothers" and "The Spartans"?
(a) "The Roman Brothers" kept opposition in check with strong support from the plebes, but "The Spartans" won political challenges through forceful personalities.
(b) "The Roman Brothers" had strong support from leaders in the senate, but "The Spartans" got their support from military men.
(c) "The Roman Brothers" were opposed by influential men of their day, but "The Spartans" were supported by history and the authority of one of the most important political leaders of Sparta.
(d) "The Roman Brothers" had their support from military men, but "The Spartans" were supported by the general public.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Plutarch report to be the differences between Rome and Sparta at the time "The Roman Brothers" and "The Spartans" had their influence?
2. According to Plutarch, who prevented Cyrus from assassinating Artaxerxes at his inaugural ceremonies as king?
3. Why did Antigonus' son, Philip, kill Aratus, according to Plutarch?
4. Why does Plutarch suggest that Dion was banished from Syracuse by the supporters of Dionysisus' son, Dionysisus II?
5. Who did Brutus join in the successful assassination attempt against Caesar, according to Plutarch?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Plutarch claim that Philip had Atarus poisoned?
2. Why does Plutarch claim that Dion was banished from the court of young Dionysius?
3. What is a primary difference that can be inferred between the ancient Spartan civilization and the ancient Roman Empire from Plutarch's comparison between the Gracchi and the Spartans?
4. How did Plutarch show the differences in the motivations for speaking between Demosthenes and Cicero?
5. How does Plutarch claim that Demosthenes become the best orator of his time?
6. What does Plutarch consider to be the difference in the deaths of the Gracci and the Spartans?
7. According to Plutarch, why did Atarus leave Sicyon to grow up and get educated in Argos?
8. What did Plutarch consider to be the difference between the several wives that Demetrius took as opposed to Antony taking up with Cleopatra?
9. How does Plutarch claim Artaxerxes averted war with the Spartans?
10. What does Plutarch claim Atarus did to free Sicyon from the tyrant Nicocles?
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)