|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Plutarch claim that Caius had to overcome before he was elected to tribune?
(a) The hold that landowners had over the senate.
(b) His fear that the animosity for his brother still existed.
(c) False charges that he had been defiant to his authorities as a quaestor, that he had excited insurrections among allies, and had been involved in conspiracies.
(d) The unwillingness of the senate to release lands that were under its authority.
2. How does Plutarch compare the motivations of rebelling between Dion and Brutus?
(a) Dion rebelled against tyranny, but Brutus sought to restore the Roman Republic.
(b) Many thought Dion sought power for himself, but Brutus wanted only to serve Rome.
(c) Dion rebelled for the benefit of Syracusans, but Brutus wanted power.
(d) Many supported Dion's revolution, but Brutus was opposed by the general public.
3. According to Plutarch, what was Artaxerxes' name before he became king?
4. What affect does Plutarch claim Aratus' education and his father's death have on Aratus?
(a) He became vengeful and rebellious.
(b) He became suspicious and scheming.
(c) He chose to throw himself into his studies and ignore the problems of Sicyon.
(d) He cultivated a burning hatred of tyranny.
5. What Macedonian King did Plutarch claim regarded Aratus as a trusted adviser?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Plutarch identify as the Senator that Brutus opposed, but joined in a civil war against Caesar?
2. How did Ochus come to succeed Artaxerxes, according to Plutarch?
3. What does Plutarch consider to be the difference between the reasons that Demosthenes and Cicero fled from the authorities?
4. What did Plutarch identify as the primary difference between "The Roman Brothers" and "The Spartans"?
5. Why did Plutarch claim Artaxerxes' mother favored Cyrus as king when Darius died?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Plutarch claim Atarus did to free Sicyon from the tyrant Nicocles?
2. How does Plutarch claim Artaxerxes averted war with the Spartans?
3. How did Plutarch show the differences in the motivations for speaking between Demosthenes and Cicero?
4. How did Plutarch report that Demetrius fell in and out of favor with Athenians?
5. How did Antony inspire a revolt against the assassins of Caesar, according to Plutarch?
6. How did Artaxerxes become King of Persia, according to Plutarch?
7. What difference does Plutarch recognize in the raising of the Gracchi Brothers (Tiberius and Caius) and The Spartans (Agis and Cleomenes)?
8. What is a primary difference that can be inferred between the ancient Spartan civilization and the ancient Roman Empire from Plutarch's comparison between the Gracchi and the Spartans?
9. According to Plutarch, how did Tiberius' death affect Caius' entry into Roman politics?
10. What did Plutarch identify as the marks of Cicero's oratory style?
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)