|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Plutarch characterize the differences in the changes in government "The Roman Brothers" and "The Spartans" sought to achieve?
(a) "The Roman Brothers" sought to place all power in a king, but "The Spartans" sought democracy.
(b) "The Roman Brothers" worked to restore the principles of the Republic, whereas "The Spartans" attempted to rid Sparta of its Greek democratic influence.
(c) "The Roman Brothers" aimed at settling cities, mending highways, and recovering public lands whereas "The Spartans" sought to restore their city to its ancient state.
(d) "The Roman Brothers" sought to restore Rome to its ancient Republic, whereas "The Spartans" sought internal improvements.
2. After the death of Tiberius, what did Plutarch report to be the first office to which his brother, Caius was elected?
3. How did Tiberius finally push his land reform law through the Senate, according to Plutarch?
(a) He influenced the praetorian guard to enforce the law in spite of it not passing the senate.
(b) He used his rhetorical skills to influence the senate to support his land reform law.
(c) He incited the homeless soldiers to storm the senate and forse it to support the law.
(d) He imposed an edict preventing all magistrates from performing their functions until the law was passed.
4. According to Plutarch, what was Artaxerxes' name before he became king?
5. Who did Plutarch identify as the Senator that Brutus opposed, but joined in a civil war against Caesar?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Plutarch explain that Aratus finally end Nicocles' reign over Sicyon?
2. Why did Antigonus' son, Philip, kill Aratus, according to Plutarch?
3. According to Plutarch, what was the difference in political support between "The Roman Brothers" and "The Spartans"?
4. How was the Artaxerxes from Plutarch's "Lives" related to the first Artaxerxes to rule over Persia?
5. What does Plutarch consider to be the difference between the reasons that Demosthenes and Cicero fled from the authorities?
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)