|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What tyrannical Syracusan King does Plutarch report Dion served as he became wealthy?
(b) Dionysius II.
(d) Dionysius I.
2. Who did Plutarch identify as the Senator that Brutus opposed, but joined in a civil war against Caesar?
3. Why did Plutarch report Cyrus attempted to overthrow Artaxerxes?
(a) Cyrus listened to factious men that voiced the opinion that the times and size of the Persian Empire required a leader with Cyrus' talents.
(b) Because Cyrus knew he would have his mother's support.
(c) Because the people of Persia could not support anymore wars.
(d) Because Artaxerxes' son, Darius, convinced him he would share power with him.
4. According to Plutarch, what was the purpose of the Greek alliances that Aratus helped to form?
(a) Mutual defense of the allied cities.
(b) To establish a political base for his plans for power.
(c) Creating a great empire to challenge the Romans.
(d) To provide an empire for his ancestor's wealth.
5. What is the first difference that Plutarch found between Demetrius and Antony?
(a) Demetrius lived a restrained life, but Antony was a victim of his vices.
(b) Demetrius' father proved his power as a great battle general, but Antony's father was not a warrior.
(c) Demetrius was a willing mercenary, but Antony fought only for the glory of Rome.
(d) Demetrius was born into a humble family, but Antony was born into wealth.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the difference Plutarch cites between the leaders that Dion and Brutus overthrew?
2. How did Ochus come to succeed Artaxerxes, according to Plutarch?
3. What does Plutarch report that Antony did after his first reaction the Assassination of Caesar?
4. How did Plutarch explain the difference between Tiberius and Caius when they delivered speeches?
5. With whom does Plutarch report that Cicero joined in a conspiracy with against the son of Caesar?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Plutarch show the differences in the motivations for speaking between Demosthenes and Cicero?
2. Why does Plutarch suggest Caesar showed favor to Brutus despite Brutus siding with Pompey during the civil war with Caesar?
3. Why does Plutarch report that Artaxerxes had his son, Darius, executed?
4. Why does Plutarch claim that Dion was banished from the court of young Dionysius?
5. 1.What does Plutarch recognize as the major difference between the governing styles between the Gracchi and the Spartans?
6. What did Plutarch consider to be the difference between the several wives that Demetrius took as opposed to Antony taking up with Cleopatra?
7. How did Ochus put himself in line to inherit Artaxerxes throne according to Plutarch?
8. How did Plutarch report that Demetrius fell in and out of favor with Athenians?
9. What does Plutarch report to be the condition of Rome as Tiberius began his political career in Rome?
10. What does Plutarch consider to be the difference in the deaths of the Gracci and the Spartans?
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)