|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Plutarch explain the tyrrant, Nicocles, rose to power?
(a) He invaded Sicyon and destroyed the leaders there.
(b) He assassinated Paseas.
(c) He inherited the position from his father.
(d) He took power from the other two members of a triumvirate.
2. For what does Plutarch claim Artaxerxes II was known?
(a) He was known for constructing ana alliance of Greeks and Macedonians.
(b) He was known as the Mindful.
(c) He was known for his biting sarcastic rhetorical style.
(d) He was known for having one leg shorter than the other.
3. Which of the four being compared does Plutarch accuse of committing the crime of deposing a fellow elected official?
4. How does Plutarch explain that Aratus finally end Nicocles' reign over Sicyon?
(a) He conducted a military confrontation against the army of Sicyon.
(b) He used his rhetorical skills to inspire the population to establish its own government.
(c) He conducted a covert insurrection and drove Nicocles from his house.
(d) He led a revolution in Sicyon to overthrow all the tyrants.
5. Why does Plutarch suggest Nicocles was wary of Aratus?
(a) Because he had a reputation of being vengeful and rebellious.
(b) Because he was known to be a scheming politician.
(c) Because he had a score to settle with the tyrants of Sicyon.
(d) His character was highly regarded by exiles from Nicocles tyranny.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what does Plutarch claim Marcus Brutus is known?
2. Who was the Macedonian King from which Plutarch reported Demetrius and his father, Antigonus, freed Athens?
3. What did Plutarch report as the difference in the affects on the homelands of "The Roman Brothers" and "The Spartans"?
4. How does Plutarch claim that Demosthenes became the best orator of his time?
5. How does Plutarch explain public anger both Dion and Brutus received for their stands against Dionysius II and Caesar respectively?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Plutarch compare the deaths of Demetrius and Antony?
2. What steps did Plutarch describe that gave Tiberius the ability to pass his land reform laws?
3. Why does Plutarch report that Artaxerxes had his son, Darius, executed?
4. What did Plutarch consider to be the difference between the several wives that Demetrius took as opposed to Antony taking up with Cleopatra?
5. What does Plutarch report to be the condition of Rome as Tiberius began his political career in Rome?
6. According to Plutarch, how did Tiberius' death affect Caius' entry into Roman politics?
7. How did Plutarch describe the defeat of Brutus after the death of Caesar?
8. Why does Plutarch claim that Dion was banished from the court of young Dionysius?
9. How did Antony inspire a revolt against the assassins of Caesar, according to Plutarch?
10. What did Plutarch identify as the marks of Cicero's oratory style?
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)