|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Plutarch claim that Cicero's leading the execution of conspirators to overthrow Rome was controversial?
(a) Because Romans abhorred violence.
(b) Because the conspiracy involved Rome's most important generals.
(c) Because they were done without a trial.
(d) Because executions of failed conspirators was rare.
2. According to Plutarch, what lead to the death of Aratus' father?
(a) He was killed after being exposed as leader of a conspiracy to overthrow a tyranny.
(b) He was chosen to as a magistrate over Sicyon as it tried to relieve itself from several tyrannies.
(c) He died in battle for Sicyon.
(d) He was killed by a jealous magistrate wanting to take his power.
3. What does Plutarch record that Antony did in response to Brutus' and Cassius' assassination of Caesar?
(a) Recommend them as governors for Roman provinces.
(b) Used the vacancy created by Caesar's death to attempt to fill a power vacuum.
(c) Started an immediate pursuit to execute them for their crimes.
(d) Joined their alliance so he could become part of the Roman power structure.
4. Who does Plutarch identify as predecessor to Galba as emperor of Rome?
5. What affect does Plutarch claim Aratus' education and his father's death have on Aratus?
(a) He became vengeful and rebellious.
(b) He cultivated a burning hatred of tyranny.
(c) He chose to throw himself into his studies and ignore the problems of Sicyon.
(d) He became suspicious and scheming.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Plutarch explain the difference between Tiberius and Caius when they delivered speeches?
2. For what does Plutarch claim Marcus Brutus is known?
3. What does Plutarch claim Demosthenes did with his suicide?
4. Where did Demosthenes encourage Greeks to resist the rule of Philip and Alexander, according to Plutarch?
5. What does Plutarch report that Antony did after his first reaction the Assassination of Caesar?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Antony inspire a revolt against the assassins of Caesar, according to Plutarch?
2. How did Plutarch describe the defeat of Brutus after the death of Caesar?
3. What steps did Plutarch describe that gave Tiberius the ability to pass his land reform laws?
4. Why does Plutarch report that Artaxerxes had his son, Darius, executed?
5. How does Plutarch claim Artaxerxes averted war with the Spartans?
6. What does Plutarch consider to be the difference in the deaths of the Gracci and the Spartans?
7. According to Plutarch, how did Tiberius' death affect Caius' entry into Roman politics?
8. What is a primary difference that can be inferred between the ancient Spartan civilization and the ancient Roman Empire from Plutarch's comparison between the Gracchi and the Spartans?
9. According to Plutarch, why did Atarus leave Sicyon to grow up and get educated in Argos?
10. What did Plutarch consider to be the difference between the several wives that Demetrius took as opposed to Antony taking up with Cleopatra?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)