|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Plutarch explain that Aratus finally end Nicocles' reign over Sicyon?
(a) He conducted a military confrontation against the army of Sicyon.
(b) He led a revolution in Sicyon to overthrow all the tyrants.
(c) He used his rhetorical skills to inspire the population to establish its own government.
(d) He conducted a covert insurrection and drove Nicocles from his house.
2. Why does Plutarch claim that Cicero's leading the execution of conspirators to overthrow Rome was controversial?
(a) Because they were done without a trial.
(b) Because executions of failed conspirators was rare.
(c) Because the conspiracy involved Rome's most important generals.
(d) Because Romans abhorred violence.
3. Why does Plutarch consider Demetrius' death more dishonorable than Antony's?
(a) Because Demetrius died in captivity after a failed military adventure.
(b) Because Demetrius died after rebelling against his country.
(c) Because Demetrius died fleeing from his own army.
(d) Because Demetrius died from alcoholism.
4. For what did Plutarch claim that Artaxerxes I of Persia was known?
(a) For being a brutal tyrant.
(b) For overcoming Babylon at the height of its empire.
(c) For a gentle and noble spirit and his right hand being longer than his left hand.
(d) For being generous and patient.
5. After the death of Tiberius, what did Plutarch report to be the first office to which his brother, Caius was elected?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Plutarch, what was the difference in political support between "The Roman Brothers" and "The Spartans"?
2. Who was the Macedonian King from which Plutarch reported Demetrius and his father, Antigonus, freed Athens?
3. Plutarch's tone in the profile of Aratus changes from his other reports. Why is this?
4. Who did Plutarch identify as the Senator that Brutus opposed, but joined in a civil war against Caesar?
5. How was Cyrus' effort to overthrow Artaxerxes ended, according to Plutarch?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Plutarch consider to be the difference in the deaths of the Gracci and the Spartans?
2. What did Plutarch consider to be the difference between the several wives that Demetrius took as opposed to Antony taking up with Cleopatra?
3. What is a primary difference that can be inferred between the ancient Spartan civilization and the ancient Roman Empire from Plutarch's comparison between the Gracchi and the Spartans?
4. 1.What does Plutarch recognize as the major difference between the governing styles between the Gracchi and the Spartans?
5. How does Plutarch compare the deaths of Demetrius and Antony?
6. Why does Plutarch claim that Philip had Atarus poisoned?
7. What does Plutarch report to be the condition of Rome as Tiberius began his political career in Rome?
8. How did Plutarch show the differences in the motivations for speaking between Demosthenes and Cicero?
9. What does Plutarch claim Atarus did to free Sicyon from the tyrant Nicocles?
10. Why does Plutarch suggest Caesar showed favor to Brutus despite Brutus siding with Pompey during the civil war with Caesar?
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)