|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With whom does Plutarch report Agis ruled over the Lacedaemonians?
(a) Cleomenes, husband to Agiatis.
(b) Leonidas, son of Cleonymus.
(c) Lysander, a Spartan General.
(d) Agesilaus, his half brother.
2. What is a major difference between Sertorius and Eumenes that Plutarch recognized?
(a) That Sertorious had the support of the government, but Eumenes was in rebellion against the government.
(b) That Sertorius was a learned captain, but Eumenes gained all of his knowledge from battle.
(c) Sertorius' soldiers yielded to him freely, whereas Eumenes won a contested office by proving his superiority.
(d) Sertorius was well read, but Eumenes was illiterate.
3. What does Plutarch report of Cato during this civil war?
(a) He remained neutral only to be taken prison by Caesar after the war ended.
(b) He joined Caesar to benefit his career in the senate.
(c) He remained in the Senate to help keep peace in Rome.
(d) He fled with Pompey and stopped in Utica while Pompey proceeded to Greece.
4. Who did Plutarch report to be the father of Agis and Agesilaus?
(a) Zeuxidamus, King of the Lacedaemonians.
(b) Archidamus, king of the Lacedaemonians.
(d) Duris the historian.
5. Who did Phocion advise Alexander to make war against rather than the Athenians, according to Plutarch?
(a) The Romans.
(b) The Indians.
(c) The Persians.
(d) The Spartans.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was Pompey acquitted of embezzlement that Plutarch reported was accused against his father after he died?
2. Why does Plutarch claim Philip believed that Alexander was a demi-god?
3. What did Plutarch claim was the final indication that Pompey had fallen out of Sylla's favor?
4. According to Plutarch's report, how did Phocion become general more than 45 times?
5. How did Plutarch compare Agesilaus and Pompey in their treatment of the men who supported their rise to power?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the primary objective of Agis as King of the Spartans according to Plutarch?
2. How did Plutarch detail Caesar's plan to become Consul of Rome by helping Pompey?
3. Why does Plutarch claim Caesar left Rome while he was a young man?
4. What did Plutarch identify as the myth regarding Alexander's lineage that Plutarch suggested his mother, Olympus, might have spread?
5. How does Plutarch report that Caesar was assassinated?
6. What does Plutarch note about the difference between Phocion's public disagreements in the Athenian assembly and how he spoke in general conversation?
7. Why did Plutarch consider Agesilaus a better general than Pompey?
8. How did Plutarch claim Eumenes caught the attention of Philip?
9. What does Plutarch claim Cleomenes did to prevent the political turmoil that overtook Agis?
10. How does Plutarch claim Athenians responded when they falsely accused Phocion of treason and killed him after a mock trial?
This section contains 962 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)