|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Plutarch report Alexander died?
2. What does Plutarch claim Aristotle provided that he considered, "...a perfect portable treasure of all military virtue and knowledge...."?
(a) Aristotle's maps of important sites in Persia.
(b) Aristotle's personally corrected copy of Homer's Illiads.
(c) Aristotle's writings regarding the proper training and preparation of soldiers.
(d) Aristotle's collection of military histories.
3. Who was the Persian King that Plutarch reported Alexander defeated on his expedition to India?
4. Who did Plutarch report to be the father of Agis and Agesilaus?
(a) Zeuxidamus, King of the Lacedaemonians.
(b) Archidamus, king of the Lacedaemonians.
(c) Duris the historian.
5. How did Agesilaus take the throne from his brother, Agis, according to Plutarch?
(a) Agesilaus defeated Agis in a duel.
(b) Agesilaus hired conspirators to murder Agis.
(c) Agesilaus poisoned Agis.
(d) Lysander, a popular general, applied a misinterpretation of a prophesy against the rumored illegitimate son of Agis.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Plutarch, how did Caesar begin his rise to power over Rome?
2. Who does Plutarch report commissioned Caesar to travel to Spain?
3. What did Plutarch report to be Agesilaus' physical deformity?
4. Who does Plutarch report protected Cleomenes while he was in exile?
5. What does Plutarch claim caused Caesar and Pompey to become rivals for power?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Plutarch note about the difference between Phocion's public disagreements in the Athenian assembly and how he spoke in general conversation?
2. What were qualities of Alexander that Plutarch praised?
3. What did Plutarch determine to be the difference in how Agesilaus and Pompey came to power?
4. How did Plutarch report the death of Cato?
5. What did Plutarch identify as the myth regarding Alexander's lineage that Plutarch suggested his mother, Olympus, might have spread?
6. Why did Plutarch consider Agesilaus a better general than Pompey?
7. How does Plutarch claim Athenians responded when they falsely accused Phocion of treason and killed him after a mock trial?
8. How did Plutarch claim Eumenes caught the attention of Philip?
9. According to Plutarch, why did Cato fall into disfavor with Caesar?
10. Plutarch reports that Phocion had a continuously frowning look, what is a summary of Phocions quote to Chare when he remarked on his countenance?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)