|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Plutarch characterize Phocion's speech?
(a) "...That even from his infancy, in his speech, his countenance, and all his childish pastimes, he discovered and inflexible temper,..."
(b) "Few had ever said as much with a paucity of verbage."
(c) "Never had anyone said so much to so many with so few words."
(d) "...full of instruction, abounding in happy maxims and wise thoughts, but admitted no embellishment to its austere and commanding brevity."
2. How old was Alexander when Plutarch claims he took the Macedonian throne after Philip's death?
3. According to Plutarch, when did Phocion rise to power in Athens?
(a) As Greece was recovering from war with the Macedonians.
(b) As the ship of state in Athens was sinking.
(c) After the death of Eumenes.
(d) After Alexander had decided to invade Persia.
4. Where does Plutarch report Alexander died?
5. How does Plutarch claim the birth order of Agis and Agesilaus affected their lives?
(a) Agis, the older, was the favorite of the father, but Agesilaus was the favorite of their mother.
(b) Agis, the older, was trained in military matters, but Agesilaus was trained in agricultural arts.
(c) Agis, the older, was given the inheritance of the king, but Agesilaus was given the authority over a province.
(d) Agis, the older, was educated to be king, and Agesilaus was given a common education.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Plutarch claim Caesar chose to do while Sylla's power reached its peak?
2. How does Plutarch compare the climb to power between Agesilaus and Pompey?
3. What battle against Macedon, according to Plutarch, that Phocion warned against taking that the Athenians lost under a different general?
4. With whom did Pompey make war that Plutarch reported eventually led to his death in Egypt?
5. From whom did Phocion learn of the military during his youth, according to Plutarch?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Plutarch claim Cleomenes did to prevent the political turmoil that overtook Agis?
2. What did Plutarch identify as the myth regarding Alexander's lineage that Plutarch suggested his mother, Olympus, might have spread?
3. Where does Plutarch report Caesar traveled to for conquests after he was elected as part of the Triumvirate with Pompey and Crassus?
4. Why does Plutarch claim Caesar left Rome while he was a young man?
5. On what occasion does Plutarch report Cato asked why his preceptor would not give him a sword to kill Sylla while he was being trained in Sylla's palace?
6. What are the similarities that Plutarch found between Sertorius and Eumenes?
7. According to Plutarch, why did Cato fall into disfavor with Caesar?
8. How did Plutarch detail Caesar's plan to become Consul of Rome by helping Pompey?
9. How did Plutarch report the death of Cato?
10. What were qualities of Alexander that Plutarch praised?
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)