|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Plutarch claim Agis and Cleomenes incurred the hatred of the rich and powerful?
(a) By taking their laborers from them to fight in wars.
(b) By inciting the working class to take their property.
(c) By taxing them to support homeless soldiers.
(d) By being desirous to restore the noble and just form of government.
2. Who does Plutarch report ruled Rome in a Triumvirate while Cato served in the Senate?
(a) Sertorius, Brutus, and Cassius.
(b) Tiberius, Cicero, and Caius.
(c) Brutus, Octavius, and Antony.
(d) Caesar, Pompey, and Crassus.
3. What does Plutarch report of Cato during this civil war?
(a) He joined Caesar to benefit his career in the senate.
(b) He fled with Pompey and stopped in Utica while Pompey proceeded to Greece.
(c) He remained neutral only to be taken prison by Caesar after the war ended.
(d) He remained in the Senate to help keep peace in Rome.
4. Why did Plutarch consider Agesilaus a better general than Pompey?
(a) Agesilaus proved his virtue by confronting his enemies at their most powerful, but Pompey tried to challenge less worthy opponents.
(b) Because Agesilaus built a record of forcing his enemies into battle when they were at their weakest, but Pompey allowed his army to be beaten by Caesar's forces while they were weakened by hunger.
(c) Agesilaus knew how to win battles on land or at sea, but Pompey only knew how to fight on the land.
(d) Agesilaus had soldiers who fought for his glory, but Pompey's soldiers fought for wealth.
5. How did Alexander show favor to Eumenes, according to Plutarch?
(a) By arranging Eumenes' marriage to the sister of his wife.
(b) By making Eumenes his spear carrier.
(c) By allowing Eumenes to train the royal horses.
(d) By employing Eumenes in the palace.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Plutarch, when did Phocion rise to power in Athens?
2. How did Plutarch report that Cato prevented the Roman Senate from naming Caesar the Consul of Rome?
3. What did Plutarch report to be the difference between how the island allies of Athens treated other arriving Athenian admirals compared to their reception of Phocion?
4. What are the character qualities Plutarch attributes to Cato from infancy?
5. What five qualities does Plutarch claim that Sertorius possessed in greater qualities than the other generals to whom Plutarch compared him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Plutarch note about the difference between Phocion's public disagreements in the Athenian assembly and how he spoke in general conversation?
2. What kind of commander did Plutarch consider Sertorius to be, and where did he fight and defeat Pompey?
3. What did Plutarch identify as the difference between Eumenes and Sertorius in their approach to war?
4. Why does Plutarch claim Caesar left Rome while he was a young man?
5. What did Plutarch determine to be the difference in how Agesilaus and Pompey came to power?
6. How did Plutarch claim Eumenes caught the attention of Philip?
7. What were qualities of Alexander that Plutarch praised?
8. What are the similarities that Plutarch found between Sertorius and Eumenes?
9. Where does Plutarch report Caesar traveled to for conquests after he was elected as part of the Triumvirate with Pompey and Crassus?
10. What does Plutarch report came of the Athens military when the Athenian Assembly went against Phocion's recommendations not to enter a war with Philip of Macedon?
This section contains 985 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)