|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first similarity that Plutarch recognized between Sertorius and Eumenes?
(a) That they were both ferocious in battle.
(b) They were both banished to foreign lands, but came to be commanders of powerful forces.
(c) That they both came from laboring families but worked up to the Noble class.
(d) That they were both embraced by the political leaders of their countries.
2. What subject does Plutarch report Sertorius mastered as a youth?
3. What does Plutarch report to be the joke that Neoptoleumus, captain of Alexander's lifeguard, told of Eumenes?
(a) That Alexander fought with soldiers, but Eumenes fought with words.
(b) That other armies train with swords, but Ememes' army trains with parchment.
(c) That Eumemes' battles were always fiercer on paper than they were in the field.
(d) That he had followed Alexander with shield and spear, but Eumenes only with pen and paper.
4. What battle against Macedon, according to Plutarch, that Phocion warned against taking that the Athenians lost under a different general?
(a) The battle of Persia.
(b) The battle of Delphi.
(c) The battle for Euboea.
(d) The battle at Chaeronea.
5. Why did Plutarch consider Agesilaus a better general than Pompey?
(a) Agesilaus had soldiers who fought for his glory, but Pompey's soldiers fought for wealth.
(b) Because Agesilaus built a record of forcing his enemies into battle when they were at their weakest, but Pompey allowed his army to be beaten by Caesar's forces while they were weakened by hunger.
(c) Agesilaus knew how to win battles on land or at sea, but Pompey only knew how to fight on the land.
(d) Agesilaus proved his virtue by confronting his enemies at their most powerful, but Pompey tried to challenge less worthy opponents.
Short Answer Questions
1. How far to the East did Plutarch claim Alexander spread his empire?
2. Who does Plutarch report took in Cato and his siblings after they were orphaned, and for what was this person known?
3. In what hearing before the Senate did Cato first confront Caesar, according to Plutarch?
4. Why does Plutarch use the name, "Cato the Younger"?
5. What does Plutarch claim Aristotle provided that he considered, "...a perfect portable treasure of all military virtue and knowledge...."?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Plutarch suggest Caesar showed favor to Brutus despite Brutus siding with Pompey during the civil war with Caesar?
2. How does Plutarch claim Athenians responded when they falsely accused Phocion of treason and killed him after a mock trial?
3. According to Plutarch, why did Atarus leave Sicyon to grow up and get educated in Argos?
4. Where does Plutarch report Caesar traveled to for conquests after he was elected as part of the Triumvirate with Pompey and Crassus?
5. What did Plutarch identify as the marks of Cicero's oratory style?
6. How did Plutarch report the death of Cato?
7. How does Plutarch describe Alexander impressing his father by taming a horse?
8. How long does Plutarch claim that Cato the Younger possessed an inflexible temperament?
9. How did Artaxerxes become King of Persia, according to Plutarch?
10. How did Plutarch describe the defeat of Brutus after the death of Caesar?
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)