|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Plutarch report took in Cato and his siblings after they were orphaned, and for what was this person known?
(a) Servilia who eventually became the wife of Brutus.
(b) Livius Drusus, an uncle on Cato's mother's side, raised the orphaned siblings, he was known for his role in the government and as being a very eloquent speaker.
(c) Pompaedius Silo who became a captain in Caesar's army.
(d) Sylla who was the most violent despot of Rome.
2. To whose death did Plutarch compare the death of Phocion?
(a) To Cato's.
(b) To Sertorius'.
(d) To Caesar's.
3. Who did Plutarch claim Agis had imprisoned and hanged?
4. Why does Plutarch claim Philip believed that Alexander was a demi-god?
(a) Because there were three omens that prophets interpreted that Alexander's birth was exalted.
(b) Because Alexander showed unnatural skill and intelligence from an early age.
(c) Because Philip once saw a serpent sleeping with his wife and he was advised by a pagan priest that the serpent was Ammon (Zeus, Jupiter) who had taken that form.
(d) Because Philip had a dream about serpents sleeping with Olympia that were signs of Jupiter's presence.
5. What did Plutarch report to be the result of Cato's management of the exchequer?
(a) Cato reduced taxes, but the senate was preoccupied with using the treasury for political favors.
(b) Cato filled it with treasure and made it appear the state might be rich without oppressing the people.
(c) Cato was inundated with dealing with corruption and faced down opposition.
(d) Cato served only briefly because of the corrupt expectations of the political system.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Plutarch report to be the condition of Lacedaemonia when Agis and his partner began their reign?
2. What came of Rome after Crassus died, according to Plutarch?
3. How did Plutarch compare Sertorius and Eumenes in their views of war?
4. In what sort of family does Plutarch claim Sertorius was raised?
5. From whom did Phocion learn of the military during his youth, according to Plutarch?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Plutarch identify as the cause of Alexander turning against his father, Philip?
2. Why did Plutarch consider Agesilaus a better general than Pompey?
3. Why did Ptolemy's son, according to Plutarch, place Cleomenes under house arrest while he was in exile in Egypt?
4. How does Plutarch report that Caesar was assassinated?
5. What does Plutarch report came of the Athens military when the Athenian Assembly went against Phocion's recommendations not to enter a war with Philip of Macedon?
6. How did Plutarch explain Lysander's misinterpretation of the prophesy regarding the successor to Agis?
7. Where does Plutarch report Caesar traveled to for conquests after he was elected as part of the Triumvirate with Pompey and Crassus?
8. How did Plutarch claim Eumenes caught the attention of Philip?
9. How does Plutarch explain Agis' objectives affected the politics of Sparta?
10. What does Plutarch claim Cleomenes did to prevent the political turmoil that overtook Agis?
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)