Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Plutarch report of Cato during this civil war?
(a) He remained in the Senate to help keep peace in Rome.
(b) He joined Caesar to benefit his career in the senate.
(c) He fled with Pompey and stopped in Utica while Pompey proceeded to Greece.
(d) He remained neutral only to be taken prison by Caesar after the war ended.
2. Who did Plutarch claim Agis had imprisoned and hanged?
3. In what sort of activity did Eumenes get the attention of Philip of Macedon, according to Plutarch?
(a) Youth matches in Cardia.
(b) Working as a servant in Philip's palace.
(c) Breaking horses at a stable.
(d) Delivering speeches in his school.
4. What was the most notable sign that Plutarch suggests that proves Caesar had begun to win popular support to challenge Sylla?
(a) When he allied himself with Sylla's enemies in the Senate.
(b) When he praised an enemy of Sylla's, named Marius, during the eulogy of Marius' wife.
(c) When he challenged Sylla's hold on power directly in the Senate.
(d) When he took possession of a field owned by Sylla.
5. There were 12 Roman Caesar's. Which one is Plutarch chronicling?
(a) Caesar Augustus.
(b) Octavious Caesar.
(c) Tiberius Caesar.
(d) The first Caesar, Gaius Julius Caesar.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Plutarch claim Agis and Cleomenes incurred the hatred of the rich and powerful?
2. Who is the famous Roman General that Plutarch claims Sertorius outwitted during his exile in Spain?
3. What event led Philip to commission Aristotle to teach Alexander, according to Plutarch?
4. After his return from Spain, with whom does Plutarch claim Caesar took power over Rome in the Triumvirate?
5. Who was the Persian King that Plutarch reported Alexander defeated on his expedition to India?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Plutarch compare the military achievements of Brutus and Dion?
2. What kind of commander did Plutarch consider Sertorius to be, and where did he fight and defeat Pompey?
3. How did Plutarch show the differences in the motivations for speaking between Demosthenes and Cicero?
4. What were qualities of Alexander that Plutarch praised?
5. What is a primary difference that can be inferred between the ancient Spartan civilization and the ancient Roman Empire from Plutarch's comparison between the Gracchi and the Spartans?
6. Why does Plutarch suggest Caesar showed favor to Brutus despite Brutus siding with Pompey during the civil war with Caesar?
7. Why does Plutarch report that Artaxerxes had his son, Darius, executed?
8. Why does Plutarch claim that Philip had Atarus poisoned?
9. How does Plutarch claim Artaxerxes averted war with the Spartans?
10. What skill did Plutarch claim Caesar used to start building political influence in the Senate?
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)