Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What subject does Plutarch report Sertorius mastered as a youth?
2. Who does Plutarch report protected Cleomenes while he was in exile?
(a) Phocion of Greece.
(b) King Ptolemy of Egypt.
(c) Artaxerxes of Persia.
(d) Aratus of Sycion.
3. Who does Plutarch report to be the master of Rome before Caesar came to power?
4. What does Plutarch claim Aristotle provided that he considered, "...a perfect portable treasure of all military virtue and knowledge...."?
(a) Aristotle's personally corrected copy of Homer's Illiads.
(b) Aristotle's collection of military histories.
(c) Aristotle's writings regarding the proper training and preparation of soldiers.
(d) Aristotle's maps of important sites in Persia.
5. How did Alexander show favor to Eumenes, according to Plutarch?
(a) By arranging Eumenes' marriage to the sister of his wife.
(b) By employing Eumenes in the palace.
(c) By allowing Eumenes to train the royal horses.
(d) By making Eumenes his spear carrier.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Plutarch, how did Cleomenes become King of the Spartans?
2. What was a political hurdle that Plutarch claimed Pompey had to overcome?
3. What did Plutarch report to be the difference between how the island allies of Athens treated other arriving Athenian admirals compared to their reception of Phocion?
4. What event led Philip to commission Aristotle to teach Alexander, according to Plutarch?
5. Who was the Persian King that Plutarch reported Alexander defeated on his expedition to India?
Short Essay Questions
1. What difference does Plutarch recognize in the raising of the Gracchi Brothers (Tiberius and Caius) and The Spartans (Agis and Cleomenes)?
2. How did Plutarch detail Caesar's plan to become Consul of Rome by helping Pompey?
3. How did Plutarch report that Demetrius fell in and out of favor with Athenians?
4. How long does Plutarch claim that Cato the Younger possessed an inflexible temperament?
5. What were qualities of Alexander that Plutarch praised?
6. What important position does Plutarch report Atarus took with Achaea, a league of Greek cities?
7. How did Plutarch claim Eumenes caught the attention of Philip?
8. According to Plutarch, why did Cato fall into disfavor with Caesar?
9. What does Plutarch report to be the condition of Rome as Tiberius began his political career in Rome?
10. What was the primary objective of Agis as King of the Spartans according to Plutarch?
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)