|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the master of Rome prior to Caesar's reign make himself an enemy to Caesar, according to Plutarch?
(a) Cato warned the Senate of the ambitions of Caesar.
(b) Cassius conspired with Brutus to remove Caesar from contention for power.
(c) Sylla wanted Caesar to put his wife away because her father, Cinna, was the ruler of Rome priort to Sylla.
(d) Crassus allied himself with Pompey in the Roman Senate to force Caesar into a triumvirate.
2. What battle against Macedon, according to Plutarch, that Phocion warned against taking that the Athenians lost under a different general?
(a) The battle of Delphi.
(b) The battle at Chaeronea.
(c) The battle of Persia.
(d) The battle for Euboea.
3. What subject does Plutarch report Sertorius mastered as a youth?
4. How old does Plutarch claim Alexander to have been when Philip left him in charge of Macedon while he went on an expedition against Byzantine?
5. Who is the famous Roman General that Plutarch claims Sertorius outwitted during his exile in Spain?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Plutarch report to be Phocion's retort when Athens began to celebrate the death of Philip of Macedon?
2. What question, according to Plutarch, did Cato ask his guardian, Sarpedon, as he watched executions that were ordered by the Roman political leader?
3. How does Plutarch claim the birth order of Agis and Agesilaus affected their lives?
4. What is the first similarity that Plutarch recognized between Sertorius and Eumenes?
5. What was the most notable sign that Plutarch suggests that proves Caesar had begun to win popular support to challenge Sylla?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Plutarch, why did Cato fall into disfavor with Caesar?
2. How did Plutarch detail Caesar's plan to become Consul of Rome by helping Pompey?
3. How does Plutarch report that Caesar was assassinated?
4. What difference does Plutarch recognize in the raising of the Gracchi Brothers (Tiberius and Caius) and The Spartans (Agis and Cleomenes)?
5. How did Otho finally become Emperor of Rome, according to Plutarch?
6. What did Plutarch identify as the myth regarding Alexander's lineage that Plutarch suggested his mother, Olympus, might have spread?
7. What distinction does Plutarch claim that Galba had among the Emperors of Rome?
8. What is a primary difference that can be inferred between the ancient Spartan civilization and the ancient Roman Empire from Plutarch's comparison between the Gracchi and the Spartans?
9. Why does Plutarch claim that Philip had Atarus poisoned?
10. Plutarch reports that Phocion had a continuously frowning look, what is a summary of Phocions quote to Chare when he remarked on his countenance?
This section contains 937 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)