|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was a political hurdle that Plutarch claimed Pompey had to overcome?
(a) He was a rival to Caesar.
(b) His father, Strabo, was so reviled by the Romans that they desecrated his body after his death.
(c) He was a rival to Crassus.
(d) Pompey was not respected after he lost battles in Spain.
2. How far to the East did Plutarch claim Alexander spread his empire?
3. How did Plutarch characterize Phocion's speech?
(a) "Few had ever said as much with a paucity of verbage."
(b) "Never had anyone said so much to so many with so few words."
(c) "...That even from his infancy, in his speech, his countenance, and all his childish pastimes, he discovered and inflexible temper,..."
(d) "...full of instruction, abounding in happy maxims and wise thoughts, but admitted no embellishment to its austere and commanding brevity."
4. What does Plutarch report to be the joke that Neoptoleumus, captain of Alexander's lifeguard, told of Eumenes?
(a) That other armies train with swords, but Ememes' army trains with parchment.
(b) That Alexander fought with soldiers, but Eumenes fought with words.
(c) That Eumemes' battles were always fiercer on paper than they were in the field.
(d) That he had followed Alexander with shield and spear, but Eumenes only with pen and paper.
5. Who did Phocion advise Alexander to make war against rather than the Athenians, according to Plutarch?
(a) The Indians.
(b) The Spartans.
(c) The Persians.
(d) The Romans.
Short Answer Questions
1. What preceded Caesar's election by the Senate to Dictator, according to Plutarch?
2. In what sort of family does Plutarch claim Eumenes was raised?
3. In what sort of family does Plutarch claim Sertorius was raised?
4. After his return from Spain, with whom does Plutarch claim Caesar took power over Rome in the Triumvirate?
5. What are the character qualities Plutarch attributes to Cato from infancy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Plutarch identify as the difference between Eumenes and Sertorius in their approach to war?
2. What did Plutarch identify as the myth regarding Alexander's lineage that Plutarch suggested his mother, Olympus, might have spread?
3. Why did Plutarch consider Agesilaus a better general than Pompey?
4. How does Plutarch report that Caesar was assassinated?
5. What does Plutarch note about the difference between Phocion's public disagreements in the Athenian assembly and how he spoke in general conversation?
6. Plutarch reports that Phocion had a continuously frowning look, what is a summary of Phocions quote to Chare when he remarked on his countenance?
7. How long does Plutarch claim that Cato the Younger possessed an inflexible temperament?
8. What was the primary objective of Agis as King of the Spartans according to Plutarch?
9. How does Plutarch claim Athenians responded when they falsely accused Phocion of treason and killed him after a mock trial?
10. How did Plutarch report the death of Cato?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)