|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Plutarch claim Agis and Cleomenes incurred the hatred of the rich and powerful?
(a) By inciting the working class to take their property.
(b) By taxing them to support homeless soldiers.
(c) By being desirous to restore the noble and just form of government.
(d) By taking their laborers from them to fight in wars.
2. What does Plutarch claim Aristotle provided that he considered, "...a perfect portable treasure of all military virtue and knowledge...."?
(a) Aristotle's personally corrected copy of Homer's Illiads.
(b) Aristotle's writings regarding the proper training and preparation of soldiers.
(c) Aristotle's maps of important sites in Persia.
(d) Aristotle's collection of military histories.
3. What does Plutarch claim Caesar said when he heard of Cato's suicide?
(a) "My greatest enemy has been vanquished and now I can rule supreme."
(b) "You're a greater man than I, Cato."
(c) "I come not to bury Cato, but to praise him."
(d) "Cato, I grudge your death, as you have grudged me the preservation of your life."
4. In what sort of family does Plutarch claim Sertorius was raised?
(a) A military family.
(b) A poor laboring family.
(c) A noble family.
(d) A ruling class family.
5. Why does Plutarch use the name, "Cato the Younger"?
(a) Because he also wrote of the grandfather, who's name was also Cato.
(b) Because he was one of two Catos serving in the Roman Senate.
(c) Because he had a half brother also named Cato.
(d) Because he was the youngest leader in Rome.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Plutarch claim caused Caesar and Pompey to become rivals for power?
2. How did Alexander show favor to Eumenes, according to Plutarch?
3. What is the first similarity that Plutarch recognized between Sertorius and Eumenes?
4. How did Plutarch compare Agesilaus and Pompey in their treatment of the men who supported their rise to power?
5. What was a political hurdle that Plutarch claimed Pompey had to overcome?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Plutarch claim that Demosthenes become the best orator of his time?
2. Why does Plutarch suggest that Galba named Piso his successor as Emperor of Rome early in his reign?
3. What did Plutarch identify as the difference between Eumenes and Sertorius in their approach to war?
4. What were qualities of Alexander that Plutarch praised?
5. How did Plutarch report that Demetrius fell in and out of favor with Athenians?
6. Why does Plutarch claim that Dion was banished from the court of young Dionysius?
7. What did Plutarch determine to be the difference in how Agesilaus and Pompey came to power?
8. What did Plutarch consider to be the difference between the several wives that Demetrius took as opposed to Antony taking up with Cleopatra?
9. How did Plutarch show the differences in the motivations for speaking between Demosthenes and Cicero?
10. How did Plutarch explain Lysander's misinterpretation of the prophesy regarding the successor to Agis?
This section contains 978 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)