|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Plutarch report to be Agesilaus' physical deformity?
(a) He had one leg shorter than the other.
(b) He was blind.
(c) He had a lame hand.
(d) He had only one eye.
2. According to Plutarch, who authored laws in Lacedaemonia that caused land that was once subject to inheritance within families to be taken into a few wealthy hands?
3. What question, according to Plutarch, did Cato ask his guardian, Sarpedon, as he watched executions that were ordered by the Roman political leader?
(a) "What law brings this type of justice?"
(b) "Is this the only justice for these criminals?"
(c) "What leader would cause this horror?"
(d) "Why does nobody kill this man?"
4. What is the first similarity that Plutarch recognized between Sertorius and Eumenes?
(a) They were both banished to foreign lands, but came to be commanders of powerful forces.
(b) That they were both embraced by the political leaders of their countries.
(c) That they both came from laboring families but worked up to the Noble class.
(d) That they were both ferocious in battle.
5. What did Plutarch report of Phocion's temperament?
(a) "...that scarcely was he ever seen by any Athenian either laughing, or in tears."
(b) "...That public bodies are most insulting and contumelious to a good man,...."
(c) "For assuredly there is difference enough among virtues of the same denomination as between the bravery of Alcibiades and that of Eapmindondas,..."
(d) "He that remonstrates with them (public bodies) on their errors is presumed to be insulting over their misfortunes...."
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Plutarch's report, how did Phocion become general more than 45 times?
2. What disaster does Plutarch report occurred on the day that Alexander was born that later added to the legend that he was a demi-god?
3. With whom did Pompey ally himself to overcome the reputation of his father, and who did Plutarch report they oppose in a civil conflict for power over Rome?
4. Who does Plutarch report took in Cato and his siblings after they were orphaned, and for what was this person known?
5. What did Plutarch report to be Phocion's view of war whenever he was brought into debates with other Greek leaders?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Plutarch describe Alexander impressing his father by taming a horse?
2. According to Plutarch, why did Cato fall into disfavor with Caesar?
3. What does Plutarch claim Cleomenes did to prevent the political turmoil that overtook Agis?
4. What does Plutarch report came of the Athens military when the Athenian Assembly went against Phocion's recommendations not to enter a war with Philip of Macedon?
5. What does Plutarch note about the difference between Phocion's public disagreements in the Athenian assembly and how he spoke in general conversation?
6. Where does Plutarch report Caesar traveled to for conquests after he was elected as part of the Triumvirate with Pompey and Crassus?
7. What were qualities of Alexander that Plutarch praised?
8. How long does Plutarch claim that Cato the Younger possessed an inflexible temperament?
9. How did Plutarch explain Lysander's misinterpretation of the prophesy regarding the successor to Agis?
10. What did Plutarch identify as the difference between Eumenes and Sertorius in their approach to war?
This section contains 1,015 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)