|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Plutarch claim was the final indication that Pompey had fallen out of Sylla's favor?
(a) Sylla did not include Pompey in his will.
(b) Sylla dispatched Pompey to Spain to quell rebellions.
(c) Sylla attempted to have Pompey imprisoned.
(d) Sylla defeated Pompey in battle as he was returning from conquests in Europe.
2. Who invaded Spartan provinces while Cleomenes was making reforms in Spartan government, according to Plutarch?
(a) Roman General Pompey.
(b) Greek General Aratas.
(c) Persian King Darius.
(d) Macedonian King Philip.
3. Who does Plutarch report took in Cato and his siblings after they were orphaned, and for what was this person known?
(a) Servilia who eventually became the wife of Brutus.
(b) Livius Drusus, an uncle on Cato's mother's side, raised the orphaned siblings, he was known for his role in the government and as being a very eloquent speaker.
(c) Pompaedius Silo who became a captain in Caesar's army.
(d) Sylla who was the most violent despot of Rome.
4. Who does Plutarch report to be the master of Rome before Caesar came to power?
5. Plutarch compares Sertorius to Philip, Antigonus, and Hannibal for his aggression, strategy, and what one other commonality?
(a) They each came from common families.
(b) They each lost a hand in battle.
(c) They each had a short leg.
(d) They each had one eye.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Plutarch report that Cato prevented the Roman Senate from naming Caesar the Consul of Rome?
2. What did Plutarch report to be the result of Cato's management of the exchequer?
3. What was the most notable sign that Plutarch suggests that proves Caesar had begun to win popular support to challenge Sylla?
4. What did Plutarch report of Phocion's temperament?
5. In what hearing before the Senate did Cato first confront Caesar, according to Plutarch?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Plutarch report Caesar traveled to for conquests after he was elected as part of the Triumvirate with Pompey and Crassus?
2. What did Plutarch identify as the myth regarding Alexander's lineage that Plutarch suggested his mother, Olympus, might have spread?
3. What does Plutarch note about the difference between Phocion's public disagreements in the Athenian assembly and how he spoke in general conversation?
4. How does Plutarch describe Alexander impressing his father by taming a horse?
5. What did Plutarch identify as the difference between Eumenes and Sertorius in their approach to war?
6. What were qualities of Alexander that Plutarch praised?
7. How does Plutarch claim Athenians responded when they falsely accused Phocion of treason and killed him after a mock trial?
8. Plutarch reports that Phocion had a continuously frowning look, what is a summary of Phocions quote to Chare when he remarked on his countenance?
9. Why did Plutarch consider Agesilaus a better general than Pompey?
10. How does Plutarch explain Agis' objectives affected the politics of Sparta?
This section contains 974 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)