|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How was Pompey acquitted of embezzlement that Plutarch reported was accused against his father after he died?
(a) Pompey traced the thefts to a freed slave of his father's, named Alexander.
(b) Pompey proved his father was in Spain governing the Roman province when the money had disappeared.
(c) Pompey set us his own slave as having stolen the funds.
(d) Pompey pledged his loyalty to Sylla.
2. In what sort of family does Plutarch claim Eumenes was raised?
(a) A poor laboring family.
(b) A noble family.
(c) A military family
(d) A ruling class family.
3. Who did Phocion advise Alexander to make war against rather than the Athenians, according to Plutarch?
(a) The Indians.
(b) The Spartans.
(c) The Persians.
(d) The Romans.
4. Where does Plutarch report Alexander died?
5. What came of Rome after Crassus died, according to Plutarch?
(a) It collapsed into a civil war between supporters of Caesar and Pompey.
(b) Pompey fled Rome out of fear of Caesar's desire to take total control.
(c) Caesar conspired to have Pompey assassinated.
(d) The Senate was split in its support for Caesar or Pompey.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the most notable sign that Plutarch suggests that proves Caesar had begun to win popular support to challenge Sylla?
2. According to Plutarch, how did Caesar begin his rise to power over Rome?
3. According to Plutarch, when did Phocion rise to power in Athens?
4. Why did Plutarch consider Agesilaus a better general than Pompey?
5. With whom does Plutarch report Agis ruled over the Lacedaemonians?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Plutarch identify as the myth regarding Alexander's lineage that Plutarch suggested his mother, Olympus, might have spread?
2. How does Plutarch explain Agis' objectives affected the politics of Sparta?
3. How did Plutarch detail Caesar's plan to become Consul of Rome by helping Pompey?
4. What did Plutarch identify as the difference between Eumenes and Sertorius in their approach to war?
5. How did Plutarch report the death of Cato?
6. Why did Ptolemy's son, according to Plutarch, place Cleomenes under house arrest while he was in exile in Egypt?
7. How did Plutarch claim Eumenes caught the attention of Philip?
8. How does Plutarch describe Alexander impressing his father by taming a horse?
9. What were qualities of Alexander that Plutarch praised?
10. How does Plutarch claim Athenians responded when they falsely accused Phocion of treason and killed him after a mock trial?
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)