|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whose death did Plutarch compare the death of Phocion?
(b) To Cato's.
(c) To Caesar's.
(d) To Sertorius'.
2. Why does Plutarch claim Philip believed that Alexander was a demi-god?
(a) Because Philip had a dream about serpents sleeping with Olympia that were signs of Jupiter's presence.
(b) Because Philip once saw a serpent sleeping with his wife and he was advised by a pagan priest that the serpent was Ammon (Zeus, Jupiter) who had taken that form.
(c) Because Alexander showed unnatural skill and intelligence from an early age.
(d) Because there were three omens that prophets interpreted that Alexander's birth was exalted.
3. From whom did Phocion learn of the military during his youth, according to Plutarch?
(a) Sertorius, the Roman.
(b) Chabrias, the General.
(c) Eumenes, the Spartan.
(d) Philip, the Macedonian.
4. With whom did Pompey ally himself to overcome the reputation of his father, and who did Plutarch report they oppose in a civil conflict for power over Rome?
(a) Pompey allied himself with Caesar in an attempt to overthrow Sylla.
(b) Pompey allied himself with Metellus to overthrow Sertorius' rebellions in Spain.
(c) Pompey allied himself with Crassus to overthrow Caesar.
(d) Pompey allied himself with a very popular general named Sylla and they united their armies to oppose the tyrant, Carbo.
5. Who does Plutarch report to be the master of Rome before Caesar came to power?
Short Answer Questions
1. What five qualities does Plutarch claim that Sertorius possessed in greater qualities than the other generals to whom Plutarch compared him?
2. What did Plutarch claim was the final indication that Pompey had fallen out of Sylla's favor?
3. After his return from Spain, with whom does Plutarch claim Caesar took power over Rome in the Triumvirate?
4. How did Alexander show favor to Eumenes, according to Plutarch?
5. What came of Rome after Crassus died, according to Plutarch?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Plutarch claim Cleomenes did to prevent the political turmoil that overtook Agis?
2. What was the primary objective of Agis as King of the Spartans according to Plutarch?
3. What are the similarities that Plutarch found between Sertorius and Eumenes?
4. How does Plutarch report that Caesar was assassinated?
5. Why does Plutarch claim Caesar left Rome while he was a young man?
6. How does Plutarch explain Agis' objectives affected the politics of Sparta?
7. What does Plutarch note about the difference between Phocion's public disagreements in the Athenian assembly and how he spoke in general conversation?
8. Where does Plutarch report Caesar traveled to for conquests after he was elected as part of the Triumvirate with Pompey and Crassus?
9. How did Plutarch claim Eumenes caught the attention of Philip?
10. What did Plutarch identify as the myth regarding Alexander's lineage that Plutarch suggested his mother, Olympus, might have spread?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)