|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Plutarch report to be the difference between how the island allies of Athens treated other arriving Athenian admirals compared to their reception of Phocion?
(a) Islands were opened very freely to other admirals, but they feared Phocion's plundering ways.
(b) Other admirals were greeted with private boats and barges with streamers and garlands, but Phocion was treated as an enemy suspect.
(c) Other admirals were treated as an enemy suspect, but Phocion was greeted with private boats and barges with streamers and garlands.
(d) Other admirals were treated with ambivalence, but they regarded Phocion with tremendous fear.
2. In what sort of family does Plutarch claim Eumenes was raised?
(a) A military family
(b) A ruling class family.
(c) A poor laboring family.
(d) A noble family.
3. How did Plutarch report Caesar lost his position as Dictator?
(a) He was assassinated by a conspiracy led by Cassius and Marcus Brutus.
(b) He was challenged to war by Ptolemy, which Caesar lost.
(c) An insurrection by soldiers stationed in Germany.
(d) The Roman Senate voted to exile Caesar for his many wars.
4. Why does Plutarch suggest that Cleomenes eliminated the office of ephors from Spartan Government?
(a) Because the ephors were a barrier to his desire to battle the Greeks.
(b) Because the ephors were inciting the public to overthrow him.
(c) Because he discovered he was king in name only and that the ephors had all the power.
(d) Because he discovered the ephors were stealing from the public coffers.
5. There were 12 Roman Caesar's. Which one is Plutarch chronicling?
(a) The first Caesar, Gaius Julius Caesar.
(b) Tiberius Caesar.
(c) Caesar Augustus.
(d) Octavious Caesar.
Short Answer Questions
1. From whom did Phocion learn of the military during his youth, according to Plutarch?
2. What was Caesar's first step, according to Plutarch, when he was informed of Sylla's power being in decline?
3. What did Plutarch claim was the final indication that Pompey had fallen out of Sylla's favor?
4. How did Plutarch compare Agesilaus and Pompey in their treatment of the men who supported their rise to power?
5. How did Plutarch characterize Phocion's speech?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the similarities that Plutarch found between Sertorius and Eumenes?
2. What kind of commander did Plutarch consider Sertorius to be, and where did he fight and defeat Pompey?
3. Plutarch reports that Phocion had a continuously frowning look, what is a summary of Phocions quote to Chare when he remarked on his countenance?
4. What were qualities of Alexander that Plutarch praised?
5. Why did Ptolemy's son, according to Plutarch, place Cleomenes under house arrest while he was in exile in Egypt?
6. Why did Plutarch consider Agesilaus a better general than Pompey?
7. What did Plutarch identify as the difference between Eumenes and Sertorius in their approach to war?
8. How does Plutarch report that Caesar was assassinated?
9. What does Plutarch claim Cleomenes did to prevent the political turmoil that overtook Agis?
10. How does Plutarch claim Athenians responded when they falsely accused Phocion of treason and killed him after a mock trial?
This section contains 967 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)