|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what sort of family does Plutarch claim Sertorius was raised?
(a) A military family.
(b) A poor laboring family.
(c) A ruling class family.
(d) A noble family.
2. What does Plutarch report to be Phocion's retort when Athens began to celebrate the death of Philip of Macedon?
(a) He supported the celebration and recognized the tactical genius of Philip.
(b) He opposed the celebration and pointed out that the army that had defeated Athens was only diminished by a single man.
(c) He was ambivalent to the celebration but realized his soldiers needed the celebration after fighting a long war.
(d) He had no knowledge of the celebration as he had secluded himself after the victory.
3. What came of Rome after Crassus died, according to Plutarch?
(a) It collapsed into a civil war between supporters of Caesar and Pompey.
(b) The Senate was split in its support for Caesar or Pompey.
(c) Caesar conspired to have Pompey assassinated.
(d) Pompey fled Rome out of fear of Caesar's desire to take total control.
4. Who invaded Spartan provinces while Cleomenes was making reforms in Spartan government, according to Plutarch?
(a) Persian King Darius.
(b) Macedonian King Philip.
(c) Roman General Pompey.
(d) Greek General Aratas.
5. Why does Plutarch claim Philip believed that Alexander was a demi-god?
(a) Because Philip once saw a serpent sleeping with his wife and he was advised by a pagan priest that the serpent was Ammon (Zeus, Jupiter) who had taken that form.
(b) Because Alexander showed unnatural skill and intelligence from an early age.
(c) Because there were three omens that prophets interpreted that Alexander's birth was exalted.
(d) Because Philip had a dream about serpents sleeping with Olympia that were signs of Jupiter's presence.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who were they, and what were the nationalities of Alexander's parents, according to Plutarch?
2. What did Plutarch report to be Phocion's view of war whenever he was brought into debates with other Greek leaders?
3. To whose death did Plutarch compare the death of Phocion?
4. What did Plutarch report to be the difference between how the island allies of Athens treated other arriving Athenian admirals compared to their reception of Phocion?
5. According to Plutarch, when did Phocion rise to power in Athens?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were qualities of Alexander that Plutarch praised?
2. How does Plutarch describe Alexander impressing his father by taming a horse?
3. Where does Plutarch report Caesar traveled to for conquests after he was elected as part of the Triumvirate with Pompey and Crassus?
4. What did Plutarch determine to be the difference in how Agesilaus and Pompey came to power?
5. What did Plutarch identify as the difference between Eumenes and Sertorius in their approach to war?
6. What did Plutarch identify as the myth regarding Alexander's lineage that Plutarch suggested his mother, Olympus, might have spread?
7. What does Plutarch report came of the Athens military when the Athenian Assembly went against Phocion's recommendations not to enter a war with Philip of Macedon?
8. What kind of commander did Plutarch consider Sertorius to be, and where did he fight and defeat Pompey?
9. What does Plutarch note about the difference between Phocion's public disagreements in the Athenian assembly and how he spoke in general conversation?
10. How did Plutarch explain Lysander's misinterpretation of the prophesy regarding the successor to Agis?
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)