|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the most notable sign that Plutarch suggests that proves Caesar had begun to win popular support to challenge Sylla?
(a) When he praised an enemy of Sylla's, named Marius, during the eulogy of Marius' wife.
(b) When he took possession of a field owned by Sylla.
(c) When he challenged Sylla's hold on power directly in the Senate.
(d) When he allied himself with Sylla's enemies in the Senate.
2. How was Pompey acquitted of embezzlement that Plutarch reported was accused against his father after he died?
(a) Pompey proved his father was in Spain governing the Roman province when the money had disappeared.
(b) Pompey traced the thefts to a freed slave of his father's, named Alexander.
(c) Pompey pledged his loyalty to Sylla.
(d) Pompey set us his own slave as having stolen the funds.
3. What does Plutarch report to be the joke that Neoptoleumus, captain of Alexander's lifeguard, told of Eumenes?
(a) That he had followed Alexander with shield and spear, but Eumenes only with pen and paper.
(b) That Alexander fought with soldiers, but Eumenes fought with words.
(c) That Eumemes' battles were always fiercer on paper than they were in the field.
(d) That other armies train with swords, but Ememes' army trains with parchment.
4. What preceded Caesar's election by the Senate to Dictator, according to Plutarch?
(a) Brutus' pledge of support to Caesar.
(b) Cassius choosing to join Caesar's army.
(c) His defeat over Pompey in a civil war.
(d) A crowd stirring speech by Antony.
5. How did the separation of Alexander from Philip affect his reign over Philip's empire, according to Plutarch?
(a) Alexander purged his government of all officials that were named by his father.
(b) Alexander chose to spread Greek culture through his captured lands rather than Macedonian culture.
(c) Alexander moved the capital of Macedon to Athens.
(d) Alexander rejected all of Philip's military tactics and found new generals.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Plutarch claim the birth order of Agis and Agesilaus affected their lives?
2. What did Plutarch report to be Agesilaus' physical deformity?
3. From whom did Phocion learn of the military during his youth, according to Plutarch?
4. Who does Plutarch report to be the master of Rome before Caesar came to power?
5. What five qualities does Plutarch claim that Sertorius possessed in greater qualities than the other generals to whom Plutarch compared him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Plutarch report the death of Cato?
2. Plutarch reports that Phocion had a continuously frowning look, what is a summary of Phocions quote to Chare when he remarked on his countenance?
3. Why does Plutarch claim Caesar left Rome while he was a young man?
4. What were qualities of Alexander that Plutarch praised?
5. What does Plutarch report came of the Athens military when the Athenian Assembly went against Phocion's recommendations not to enter a war with Philip of Macedon?
6. How did Plutarch explain Lysander's misinterpretation of the prophesy regarding the successor to Agis?
7. What does Plutarch note about the difference between Phocion's public disagreements in the Athenian assembly and how he spoke in general conversation?
8. How does Plutarch describe Alexander impressing his father by taming a horse?
9. What does Plutarch claim Cleomenes did to prevent the political turmoil that overtook Agis?
10. How did Plutarch detail Caesar's plan to become Consul of Rome by helping Pompey?
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)