|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did Phocion advise Alexander to make war against rather than the Athenians, according to Plutarch?
(a) The Romans.
(b) The Spartans.
(c) The Persians.
(d) The Indians.
2. To whose death did Plutarch compare the death of Phocion?
(a) To Caesar's.
(c) To Sertorius'.
(d) To Cato's.
3. What did Plutarch report of Phocion's temperament?
(a) "He that remonstrates with them (public bodies) on their errors is presumed to be insulting over their misfortunes...."
(b) "...That public bodies are most insulting and contumelious to a good man,...."
(c) "For assuredly there is difference enough among virtues of the same denomination as between the bravery of Alcibiades and that of Eapmindondas,..."
(d) "...that scarcely was he ever seen by any Athenian either laughing, or in tears."
4. What did Plutarch report to be the difference between how the island allies of Athens treated other arriving Athenian admirals compared to their reception of Phocion?
(a) Islands were opened very freely to other admirals, but they feared Phocion's plundering ways.
(b) Other admirals were treated as an enemy suspect, but Phocion was greeted with private boats and barges with streamers and garlands.
(c) Other admirals were treated with ambivalence, but they regarded Phocion with tremendous fear.
(d) Other admirals were greeted with private boats and barges with streamers and garlands, but Phocion was treated as an enemy suspect.
5. How did Plutarch claim Agis and Cleomenes incurred the hatred of the rich and powerful?
(a) By inciting the working class to take their property.
(b) By taxing them to support homeless soldiers.
(c) By taking their laborers from them to fight in wars.
(d) By being desirous to restore the noble and just form of government.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who were they, and what were the nationalities of Alexander's parents, according to Plutarch?
2. With whom does Plutarch report Agis ruled over the Lacedaemonians?
3. From whom did Phocion learn of the military during his youth, according to Plutarch?
4. What was the most notable sign that Plutarch suggests that proves Caesar had begun to win popular support to challenge Sylla?
5. What did Plutarch report to be Agesilaus' physical deformity?
Short Essay Questions
1. What skill did Plutarch claim Caesar used to start building political influence in the Senate?
2. What did Plutarch identify as the myth regarding Alexander's lineage that Plutarch suggested his mother, Olympus, might have spread?
3. How did Plutarch explain Lysander's misinterpretation of the prophesy regarding the successor to Agis?
4. Plutarch reports that Phocion had a continuously frowning look, what is a summary of Phocions quote to Chare when he remarked on his countenance?
5. What does Plutarch identify as the cause of Alexander turning against his father, Philip?
6. How does Plutarch claim Athenians responded when they falsely accused Phocion of treason and killed him after a mock trial?
7. What does Plutarch claim Cleomenes did to prevent the political turmoil that overtook Agis?
8. What does Plutarch note about the difference between Phocion's public disagreements in the Athenian assembly and how he spoke in general conversation?
9. Why did Plutarch consider Agesilaus a better general than Pompey?
10. According to Plutarch, why did Cato fall into disfavor with Caesar?
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)