|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What victory of Phocion over the Macedonians did Plutarch report as being that which earned the admiration of Philip, King of Macedon?
(a) The battle for Euboea.
(b) The battle of Chaeronaea.
(c) The battle of Persia.
(d) The battle of Delphi.
2. Who did Plutarch report to be the father of Agis and Agesilaus?
(a) Archidamus, king of the Lacedaemonians.
(b) Duris the historian.
(c) Zeuxidamus, King of the Lacedaemonians.
3. How did Plutarch report that Cato prevented the Roman Senate from naming Caesar the Consul of Rome?
(a) He used his authority to prevent senators from entering the senate.
(b) He used his authority to adjust the calendar of the senate.
(c) He kept the motion to make Caesar consul in the committee.
(d) He spent the entire day speaking and prevented the Senate from acting on the motion.
4. Who joined Agis to turn back the laws that placed inherited land under control of a few wealthy families, according to Plutarch?
(a) Leonidas, son of Cleonymus.
(b) Lysander, the son of Libys and Madroclidas, the son of Ecphanes.
(c) Cleomenes, husband to Agiatis.
(d) Agesilaus, his half brother.
5. What Roman political leader does Plutarch claim was a friend to Cato's family?
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Plutarch claim Agis and Cleomenes incurred the hatred of the rich and powerful?
2. How did Plutarch compare Sertorius and Eumenes in their views of war?
3. To whose death did Plutarch compare the death of Phocion?
4. What does Plutarch claim Caesar chose to do while Sylla's power reached its peak?
5. What did Plutarch report of Phocion's temperament?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the similarities that Plutarch found between Sertorius and Eumenes?
2. How did Plutarch explain Lysander's misinterpretation of the prophesy regarding the successor to Agis?
3. How did Plutarch claim Eumenes caught the attention of Philip?
4. What does Plutarch note about the difference between Phocion's public disagreements in the Athenian assembly and how he spoke in general conversation?
5. What does Plutarch report came of the Athens military when the Athenian Assembly went against Phocion's recommendations not to enter a war with Philip of Macedon?
6. How did Plutarch detail Caesar's plan to become Consul of Rome by helping Pompey?
7. On what occasion does Plutarch report Cato asked why his preceptor would not give him a sword to kill Sylla while he was being trained in Sylla's palace?
8. What does Plutarch claim Cleomenes did to prevent the political turmoil that overtook Agis?
9. How long does Plutarch claim that Cato the Younger possessed an inflexible temperament?
10. Why did Ptolemy's son, according to Plutarch, place Cleomenes under house arrest while he was in exile in Egypt?
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)