|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Alexander show favor to Eumenes, according to Plutarch?
(a) By arranging Eumenes' marriage to the sister of his wife.
(b) By making Eumenes his spear carrier.
(c) By allowing Eumenes to train the royal horses.
(d) By employing Eumenes in the palace.
2. With whom does Plutarch report Agis ruled over the Lacedaemonians?
(a) Agesilaus, his half brother.
(b) Lysander, a Spartan General.
(c) Cleomenes, husband to Agiatis.
(d) Leonidas, son of Cleonymus.
3. What event led Philip to commission Aristotle to teach Alexander, according to Plutarch?
(a) Alexander broke a horse, Bucephalus, in front of his father and his attendants.
(b) Alexander showed greater intelligence when confronting foes in wrestling matches.
(c) Alexander began offering innovative strategies for battle to Philip's captains.
(d) Alexander began surpassing the courses taught him in the royal palace.
4. What does Plutarch claim caused Caesar and Pompey to become rivals for power?
(a) Pompey's alliance with Crassus.
(b) Crassus' death.
(c) The rivalry between Pompey's father and Caesar's family.
(d) Pompey's defeat to Sertorius in Spain.
5. How did the master of Rome prior to Caesar's reign make himself an enemy to Caesar, according to Plutarch?
(a) Sylla wanted Caesar to put his wife away because her father, Cinna, was the ruler of Rome priort to Sylla.
(b) Cassius conspired with Brutus to remove Caesar from contention for power.
(c) Crassus allied himself with Pompey in the Roman Senate to force Caesar into a triumvirate.
(d) Cato warned the Senate of the ambitions of Caesar.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Plutarch suggest that Cleomenes eliminated the office of ephors from Spartan Government?
2. According to Plutarch's report, how did Phocion become general more than 45 times?
3. Who did Phocion advise Alexander to make war against rather than the Athenians, according to Plutarch?
4. According to Plutarch, what eventually led to Alexander and his mother, Olympia, separating from Philip to become his rivals?
5. What did Plutarch report to be Phocion's view of war whenever he was brought into debates with other Greek leaders?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Ptolemy's son, according to Plutarch, place Cleomenes under house arrest while he was in exile in Egypt?
2. What was the primary objective of Agis as King of the Spartans according to Plutarch?
3. Why did Plutarch consider Agesilaus a better general than Pompey?
4. How does Plutarch describe Alexander impressing his father by taming a horse?
5. According to Plutarch, why did Cato fall into disfavor with Caesar?
6. How did Plutarch report the death of Cato?
7. How did Plutarch claim Eumenes caught the attention of Philip?
8. What does Plutarch report came of the Athens military when the Athenian Assembly went against Phocion's recommendations not to enter a war with Philip of Macedon?
9. What are the similarities that Plutarch found between Sertorius and Eumenes?
10. What does Plutarch identify as the cause of Alexander turning against his father, Philip?
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)