|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first similarity that Plutarch recognized between Sertorius and Eumenes?
(a) That they both came from laboring families but worked up to the Noble class.
(b) They were both banished to foreign lands, but came to be commanders of powerful forces.
(c) That they were both embraced by the political leaders of their countries.
(d) That they were both ferocious in battle.
2. Who was the Persian King that Plutarch reported Alexander defeated on his expedition to India?
3. In what sort of family does Plutarch claim Sertorius was raised?
(a) A poor laboring family.
(b) A military family.
(c) A ruling class family.
(d) A noble family.
4. What does Plutarch report to be the condition of Lacedaemonia when Agis and his partner began their reign?
(a) It was taken by avarice, a base spirit, luxury, effeminacy and had fallen from her former virtue and repute.
(b) It was beaten down by wars with citizens who had lost hope of recovery.
(c) Lacedaemonia had become little more than a crossroad for commerce to more industrious cities.
(d) Lacedaemonia had risen to become the most powerful of Spartan cities.
5. How far to the East did Plutarch claim Alexander spread his empire?
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Agesilaus take the throne from his brother, Agis, according to Plutarch?
2. What did Plutarch report to be the result of Cato's management of the exchequer?
3. What does Plutarch report of Cato during this civil war?
4. Who joined Agis to turn back the laws that placed inherited land under control of a few wealthy families, according to Plutarch?
5. After his return from Spain, with whom does Plutarch claim Caesar took power over Rome in the Triumvirate?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Plutarch detail Caesar's plan to become Consul of Rome by helping Pompey?
2. What does Plutarch claim Cleomenes did to prevent the political turmoil that overtook Agis?
3. How does Plutarch claim Athenians responded when they falsely accused Phocion of treason and killed him after a mock trial?
4. What did Plutarch identify as the myth regarding Alexander's lineage that Plutarch suggested his mother, Olympus, might have spread?
5. Why does Plutarch claim Caesar left Rome while he was a young man?
6. What kind of commander did Plutarch consider Sertorius to be, and where did he fight and defeat Pompey?
7. What skill did Plutarch claim Caesar used to start building political influence in the Senate?
8. On what occasion does Plutarch report Cato asked why his preceptor would not give him a sword to kill Sylla while he was being trained in Sylla's palace?
9. Plutarch reports that Phocion had a continuously frowning look, what is a summary of Phocions quote to Chare when he remarked on his countenance?
10. How does Plutarch explain Agis' objectives affected the politics of Sparta?
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)