|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Plutarch use the name, "Cato the Younger"?
(a) Because he also wrote of the grandfather, who's name was also Cato.
(b) Because he had a half brother also named Cato.
(c) Because he was the youngest leader in Rome.
(d) Because he was one of two Catos serving in the Roman Senate.
2. Who does Plutarch report to be the master of Rome before Caesar came to power?
3. How old was Alexander when Plutarch claims he took the Macedonian throne after Philip's death?
4. What does Plutarch claim Aristotle provided that he considered, "...a perfect portable treasure of all military virtue and knowledge...."?
(a) Aristotle's writings regarding the proper training and preparation of soldiers.
(b) Aristotle's collection of military histories.
(c) Aristotle's maps of important sites in Persia.
(d) Aristotle's personally corrected copy of Homer's Illiads.
5. According to Plutarch's report, how did Phocion become general more than 45 times?
(a) He was elected to lead the armies by free election.
(b) He sold his services to many land owners who needed protection.
(c) He subverted the commands of many generals.
(d) He was willing to fight for any kingdom that desired his services.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Plutarch report ruled Rome in a Triumvirate while Cato served in the Senate?
2. According to Plutarch, how did Cleomenes become King of the Spartans?
3. How does Plutarch compare the climb to power between Agesilaus and Pompey?
4. How did Plutarch compare Sertorius and Eumenes in their views of war?
5. How did Agesilaus take the throne from his brother, Agis, according to Plutarch?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Plutarch explain Lysander's misinterpretation of the prophesy regarding the successor to Agis?
2. What were qualities of Alexander that Plutarch praised?
3. Why did Ptolemy's son, according to Plutarch, place Cleomenes under house arrest while he was in exile in Egypt?
4. How did Plutarch report the death of Cato?
5. What kind of commander did Plutarch consider Sertorius to be, and where did he fight and defeat Pompey?
6. Why did Plutarch consider Agesilaus a better general than Pompey?
7. How long does Plutarch claim that Cato the Younger possessed an inflexible temperament?
8. What did Plutarch identify as the myth regarding Alexander's lineage that Plutarch suggested his mother, Olympus, might have spread?
9. What skill did Plutarch claim Caesar used to start building political influence in the Senate?
10. According to Plutarch, why did Cato fall into disfavor with Caesar?
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)