|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Plutarch report to be the result of Cato's management of the exchequer?
(a) Cato filled it with treasure and made it appear the state might be rich without oppressing the people.
(b) Cato served only briefly because of the corrupt expectations of the political system.
(c) Cato reduced taxes, but the senate was preoccupied with using the treasury for political favors.
(d) Cato was inundated with dealing with corruption and faced down opposition.
2. Who did Plutarch claim Agis had imprisoned and hanged?
3. What preceded Caesar's election by the Senate to Dictator, according to Plutarch?
(a) Brutus' pledge of support to Caesar.
(b) His defeat over Pompey in a civil war.
(c) A crowd stirring speech by Antony.
(d) Cassius choosing to join Caesar's army.
4. What came of Rome after Crassus died, according to Plutarch?
(a) Caesar conspired to have Pompey assassinated.
(b) Pompey fled Rome out of fear of Caesar's desire to take total control.
(c) It collapsed into a civil war between supporters of Caesar and Pompey.
(d) The Senate was split in its support for Caesar or Pompey.
5. Why does Plutarch claim Philip believed that Alexander was a demi-god?
(a) Because Philip once saw a serpent sleeping with his wife and he was advised by a pagan priest that the serpent was Ammon (Zeus, Jupiter) who had taken that form.
(b) Because there were three omens that prophets interpreted that Alexander's birth was exalted.
(c) Because Alexander showed unnatural skill and intelligence from an early age.
(d) Because Philip had a dream about serpents sleeping with Olympia that were signs of Jupiter's presence.
Short Answer Questions
1. What Roman political leader does Plutarch claim was a friend to Cato's family?
2. What does Plutarch claim Caesar chose to do while Sylla's power reached its peak?
3. In what sort of family does Plutarch claim Eumenes was raised?
4. After his return from Spain, with whom does Plutarch claim Caesar took power over Rome in the Triumvirate?
5. What did Plutarch report to be the difference between how the island allies of Athens treated other arriving Athenian admirals compared to their reception of Phocion?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Plutarch describe Alexander impressing his father by taming a horse?
2. How did Plutarch detail Caesar's plan to become Consul of Rome by helping Pompey?
3. How did Plutarch explain Lysander's misinterpretation of the prophesy regarding the successor to Agis?
4. What does Plutarch note about the difference between Phocion's public disagreements in the Athenian assembly and how he spoke in general conversation?
5. What was the primary objective of Agis as King of the Spartans according to Plutarch?
6. What did Plutarch identify as the difference between Eumenes and Sertorius in their approach to war?
7. Where does Plutarch report Caesar traveled to for conquests after he was elected as part of the Triumvirate with Pompey and Crassus?
8. Why did Ptolemy's son, according to Plutarch, place Cleomenes under house arrest while he was in exile in Egypt?
9. Why did Plutarch consider Agesilaus a better general than Pompey?
10. How did Plutarch claim Eumenes caught the attention of Philip?
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)