|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was a political hurdle that Plutarch claimed Pompey had to overcome?
(a) He was a rival to Caesar.
(b) He was a rival to Crassus.
(c) Pompey was not respected after he lost battles in Spain.
(d) His father, Strabo, was so reviled by the Romans that they desecrated his body after his death.
2. Who did Phocion advise Alexander to make war against rather than the Athenians, according to Plutarch?
(a) The Romans.
(b) The Spartans.
(c) The Indians.
(d) The Persians.
3. How did Plutarch compare Agesilaus and Pompey in their treatment of the men who supported their rise to power?
(a) Both Agesilaus and Pompey remained loyal to those who helped their careers.
(b) Both Agesilaus and Pompey betrayed those who helped them through their careers.
(c) Pompey remained loyal to Sylla even through the years Sylla had withdrawn his favor, but Agesilaus cast off Lysander with reproach after he rose to power on Lysander's misinterpretation of prophesy.
(d) Agesilaus placed Lysander in an important province to honor his help whereas Pompey began making political connections so he could escape the influence of Sylla.
4. What did Plutarch report of Phocion's temperament?
(a) "...that scarcely was he ever seen by any Athenian either laughing, or in tears."
(b) "For assuredly there is difference enough among virtues of the same denomination as between the bravery of Alcibiades and that of Eapmindondas,..."
(c) "...That public bodies are most insulting and contumelious to a good man,...."
(d) "He that remonstrates with them (public bodies) on their errors is presumed to be insulting over their misfortunes...."
5. What disaster does Plutarch report occurred on the day that Alexander was born that later added to the legend that he was a demi-god?
(a) Lightning hit the area of the palace where Alexander's mother was giving birth.
(b) The Temple of Diana burned down and a story was spread that it did so because Diana was attending the birth of Alexander.
(c) A Macedonian fleet survived a horrible storm at sea on the day Alexander was born.
(d) An earthquake shook the royal palace while Alexander was being born.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Plutarch claim caused Caesar and Pompey to become rivals for power?
2. What does Plutarch claim Aristotle provided that he considered, "...a perfect portable treasure of all military virtue and knowledge...."?
3. How does Plutarch compare the climb to power between Agesilaus and Pompey?
4. What subject does Plutarch report Sertorius mastered as a youth?
5. Who joined Agis to turn back the laws that placed inherited land under control of a few wealthy families, according to Plutarch?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Plutarch consider to be the difference between the several wives that Demetrius took as opposed to Antony taking up with Cleopatra?
2. How did Otho finally become Emperor of Rome, according to Plutarch?
3. How does Plutarch claim Athenians responded when they falsely accused Phocion of treason and killed him after a mock trial?
4. Why did Plutarch consider Agesilaus a better general than Pompey?
5. Why does Plutarch suggest that Galba named Piso his successor as Emperor of Rome early in his reign?
6. What does Plutarch identify as the cause of Alexander turning against his father, Philip?
7. What was the primary objective of Agis as King of the Spartans according to Plutarch?
8. What does Plutarch report to be the condition of Rome as Tiberius began his political career in Rome?
9. Why did Ptolemy's son, according to Plutarch, place Cleomenes under house arrest while he was in exile in Egypt?
10. How does Plutarch claim that Demosthenes become the best orator of his time?
This section contains 986 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)