|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How was Pompey acquitted of embezzlement that Plutarch reported was accused against his father after he died?
(a) Pompey traced the thefts to a freed slave of his father's, named Alexander.
(b) Pompey set us his own slave as having stolen the funds.
(c) Pompey pledged his loyalty to Sylla.
(d) Pompey proved his father was in Spain governing the Roman province when the money had disappeared.
2. What does Plutarch claim Caesar said when he heard of Cato's suicide?
(a) "Cato, I grudge your death, as you have grudged me the preservation of your life."
(b) "My greatest enemy has been vanquished and now I can rule supreme."
(c) "I come not to bury Cato, but to praise him."
(d) "You're a greater man than I, Cato."
3. What Roman political leader does Plutarch claim was a friend to Cato's family?
4. What does Plutarch report to be the joke that Neoptoleumus, captain of Alexander's lifeguard, told of Eumenes?
(a) That Eumemes' battles were always fiercer on paper than they were in the field.
(b) That other armies train with swords, but Ememes' army trains with parchment.
(c) That he had followed Alexander with shield and spear, but Eumenes only with pen and paper.
(d) That Alexander fought with soldiers, but Eumenes fought with words.
5. What five qualities does Plutarch claim that Sertorius possessed in greater qualities than the other generals to whom Plutarch compared him?
(a) Ferocity, integrity, honesty, nobility, and courage.
(b) Contentment, faithfulness, mercy, prudence and judgment.
(c) Nobility, mercy honesty, faithfulness, and humility.
(d) Bravery, wisdom, frugality, humility, and foresightedness.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the character qualities Plutarch attributes to Cato from infancy?
2. What does Plutarch claim Caesar chose to do while Sylla's power reached its peak?
3. According to Plutarch, when did Phocion rise to power in Athens?
4. Why does Plutarch suggest that Cleomenes eliminated the office of ephors from Spartan Government?
5. Who does Plutarch report commissioned Caesar to travel to Spain?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Plutarch consider Agesilaus a better general than Pompey?
2. Plutarch reports that Phocion had a continuously frowning look, what is a summary of Phocions quote to Chare when he remarked on his countenance?
3. Where does Plutarch report Caesar traveled to for conquests after he was elected as part of the Triumvirate with Pompey and Crassus?
4. On what occasion does Plutarch report Cato asked why his preceptor would not give him a sword to kill Sylla while he was being trained in Sylla's palace?
5. What does Plutarch identify as the cause of Alexander turning against his father, Philip?
6. How does Plutarch describe Alexander impressing his father by taming a horse?
7. According to Plutarch, why did Cato fall into disfavor with Caesar?
8. How did Plutarch claim Eumenes caught the attention of Philip?
9. What were qualities of Alexander that Plutarch praised?
10. What are the similarities that Plutarch found between Sertorius and Eumenes?
This section contains 938 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)