|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Plutarch claim to be the three Macedonian Kings under whom Demosthenes lived?
(a) Antipater, Philip III, Cassander.
(b) Alexander, Antipater, Philip III.
(c) Philip, Alexander, and Antipater.
(d) Amyntas IV, Philip, Alexander.
2. After the death of Tiberius, what did Plutarch report to be the first office to which his brother, Caius was elected?
3. Who was the Macedonian King from which Plutarch reported Demetrius and his father, Antigonus, freed Athens?
4. What does Plutarch claim that Brutus' decision to betray Caesar prove?
(a) That he harbored resentment for his abandoning his mother after their affair.
(b) That he wanted the opportunity to rule Rome.
(c) That he was driven by principle and not emotion.
(d) That he was ungrateful for the grace that Caesar extended to him after the civil war with Pompey.
5. What is the reason Plutarch gives for Aratus deciding to make alliance with Philip of Macedon?
(a) Cleomenes' victories over nearly all Achaean cities.
(b) To benefit from the empire Philip was building.
(c) To prevent being attacked by Philip.
(d) To defend Greece from the Spartans.
6. Who did Brutus join in the successful assassination attempt against Caesar, according to Plutarch?
7. What quote from Plato does Plutarch use to begin a criticism in his profiles of Demetrius and Antony?
(a) "Whence it was that, men say, Simonides called Sparta "the tamer of men," because by early strictness of education, they became wise."
(b) It is not great wonder if in long process of time, while fortune takes her course hither and thither, numerous coincidences should spontaneously occur."
(c) "Great natures produce great vices as well as virtues."
(d) "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times."
8. Who does Plutarch identify as the father of Aratus?
9. According to Plutarch, what was the purpose of the Greek alliances that Aratus helped to form?
(a) Creating a great empire to challenge the Romans.
(b) Mutual defense of the allied cities.
(c) To establish a political base for his plans for power.
(d) To provide an empire for his ancestor's wealth.
10. How does Plutarch explain the differences in the public acceptance with Demetrius' collection of wives and mistresses and Antony's affair with Cleopatra?
(a) Demetrius only married Spartan women, but Antony pursued women of many nationalities.
(b) Demetrius pursued both wealthy and common women, but Antony only pursued wealthy women.
(c) The Spartans commonly practiced polygamy whereas monogamy was the standard in Rome.
(d) Demetrius married many women to leave many sons, Antony only pursued women to enhance his political status.
11. How did Plutarch explain the difference between Tiberius and Caius when they delivered speeches?
(a) Tiberius was rehearsed and serious; Caius was sarcastic and whimisical.
(b) Tiberius was confrontational; Caius was diplomatic.
(c) Tiberius was verbose and theatrical; Caius was slow and methodical.
(d) Tiberius was gentle and composed, and Caius was earnest and vehement.
12. For what did Plutarch claim that Artaxerxes I of Persia was known?
(a) For overcoming Babylon at the height of its empire.
(b) For being a brutal tyrant.
(c) For a gentle and noble spirit and his right hand being longer than his left hand.
(d) For being generous and patient.
13. How did Ochus come to succeed Artaxerxes, according to Plutarch?
(a) He murdered his brother Arsames and drove his other brother Ariaspes to suicide.
(b) He avoided war, but his brothers died in war.
(c) He was the favorite of his mother.
(d) He bribed his father.
14. Why did Plutarch claim that Tiberius was beaten to death on the Senate Floor?
(a) Because Octavius made a speech that associated Tiberius' actions with those who had ambitions to become king.
(b) Because landowners became frustrated by his persistence and decided to end it in the senate.
(c) Because the senate was convinced that he was involved in the conspiracy against Caesar by Antony.
(d) Because homeless soldiers got tired of waiting for his success and stormed the senate floor and cornered Tiberius.
15. Who does Plutarch report was to be successor to Artaxerxes throne?
(a) His favorite son, Ariaspes.
(b) His oldest son Darius.
(c) His second son, Arsames.
(d) His scheming son, Ochus.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Plutarch, why was the issue still alive for Tiberius in spite of previous efforts to address the issue?
2. What does Plutarch consider to be the difference between the reasons that Demosthenes and Cicero fled from the authorities?
3. Why did Plutarch claim Artaxerxes' mother favored Cyrus as king when Darius died?
4. Which of the four being compared does Plutarch accuse of committing the crime of deposing a fellow elected official?
5. What is the difference Plutarch cites between the leaders that Dion and Brutus overthrew?
This section contains 1,007 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)