|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Plutarch, what lead to the death of Aratus' father?
(a) He was killed after being exposed as leader of a conspiracy to overthrow a tyranny.
(b) He was chosen to as a magistrate over Sicyon as it tried to relieve itself from several tyrannies.
(c) He was killed by a jealous magistrate wanting to take his power.
(d) He died in battle for Sicyon.
2. How did Ochus come to succeed Artaxerxes, according to Plutarch?
(a) He bribed his father.
(b) He avoided war, but his brothers died in war.
(c) He murdered his brother Arsames and drove his other brother Ariaspes to suicide.
(d) He was the favorite of his mother.
3. Where does Plutarch claim that Demosthenes was when he committed suicide to avoid capture by the Macedonians?
(a) On his way to the public baths.
(b) A temple in Calauria.
(c) In his home in Athens.
(d) In the Athenian Assembly.
4. What did Plutarch report to be the differences between Rome and Sparta at the time "The Roman Brothers" and "The Spartans" had their influence?
(a) "The Roman Brothers" lived as Rome was transitioning from a Republic to an Empire, but "The Spartans" lived as Sparta was coming to the end of extended captivity to Macedon.
(b) "The Roman Brothers" lived at the time that Rome had risen to its greatest repute, but "The Spartans" lived when Sparta was sinking and debauched.
(c) "The Roman Brothers" became part of a movement to unite the provinces of Rome, but "The Spartans" were fighting to free Sparta from Macedonian domination.
(d) "The Roman Brothers" lived in a time of rebellion against Rome by its extended provinces, but "The Spartans" were part of a time of peace and industry.
5. Why did Plutarch claim that Tiberius was beaten to death on the Senate Floor?
(a) Because homeless soldiers got tired of waiting for his success and stormed the senate floor and cornered Tiberius.
(b) Because the senate was convinced that he was involved in the conspiracy against Caesar by Antony.
(c) Because landowners became frustrated by his persistence and decided to end it in the senate.
(d) Because Octavius made a speech that associated Tiberius' actions with those who had ambitions to become king.
6. Who did Brutus join in the successful assassination attempt against Caesar, according to Plutarch?
7. What Macedonian King did Plutarch claim regarded Aratus as a trusted adviser?
8. How was Cyrus' effort to overthrow Artaxerxes ended, according to Plutarch?
(a) He died in battle, supposedly by a spear thrown by Artaxerxes.
(b) Their mother demanded they stop.
(c) He saw his challenge was harmful to Persia and committed suicide.
(d) Cyrus was killed in a conspiracy led by Artaxerxes' son Darius.
9. What is the reason Plutarch gives for Aratus deciding to make alliance with Philip of Macedon?
(a) Cleomenes' victories over nearly all Achaean cities.
(b) To defend Greece from the Spartans.
(c) To prevent being attacked by Philip.
(d) To benefit from the empire Philip was building.
10. Who did wealthy land owners influence from the Senate to oppose Tiberius' efforts at land reform, according to Plutarch?
(a) Octavius Caesar, who was son of Caesar.
(b) Marcus Octavius, who was considered to be a friend of Tiberius.
(c) Marcus Brutus, who opposed Caesars attempts to spread the wealth from captured cities.
(d) Caius Mancinus, who was a consul of bad reputation.
11. Who did Plutarch identify as the Senator that Brutus opposed, but joined in a civil war against Caesar?
12. How does Plutarch report that Demosthenes and Cicero showed the differences in their personalities through their speeches?
(a) Demosthenes was somber and deliberte, but Cicero was trivial and lighthearted.
(b) Demosthenes was serious and eloquent, but Cicero loved to jest and make fun of his opponents.
(c) Demosthenes loved to just and make fun of his opponents, but Cicero was serious and eloquent.
(d) Demosthenes was trivial and lighthearted, but Cicero was somber and deliberate.
13. What did Plutarch report as the difference in the affects on the homelands of "The Roman Brothers" and "The Spartans"?
(a) The work of "The Roman Brothers" gave no addition to Rome's former greatness, but "The Spartans" helped Sparta exert power over all of Peloponnesus and restored the orderly rule of the sons of Hercules.
(b) "The Roman Brothers" stabilized the government prior to its greatest empirical march, but "The Spartans" left the government stagnated and ineffectual.
(c) The work of "The Roman Brothers" helped to expand the Roman Empire, but "The Spartans" led to an extended captivity to Macedon.
(d) "The Roman Brothers" were responsible for the split of the Roman Empire, but "The Spartans" extended Sparta into India.
14. What did Plutarch report Darius did to prevent his ascension to Artaxerxes' throne?
(a) He was discovered in a conspiracy to kill Artaxerxes and was executed.
(b) He made himself a eunuch.
(c) He married a Spartan woman.
(d) He fled for Rome.
15. Who led a conspiracy to overthrow the Roman Government that Plutarch reports Cicero exposed in the Senate?
Short Answer Questions
1. For what did Plutarch claim that Artaxerxes I of Persia was known?
2. Who did Plutarch identify as being responsible for opposing and turning back the legal and land reforms that were won by Caius as tribune?
3. What political difference does Plutarch recognize between "The Spartans"?
4. Based upon the intended audience of the profile on Aratus, what does Plutarch establish as his focus?
5. How did Plutarch explain the tyrrant, Nicocles, rose to power?
This section contains 1,042 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)