|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Plutarch report to be the differences between Rome and Sparta at the time "The Roman Brothers" and "The Spartans" had their influence?
(a) "The Roman Brothers" became part of a movement to unite the provinces of Rome, but "The Spartans" were fighting to free Sparta from Macedonian domination.
(b) "The Roman Brothers" lived in a time of rebellion against Rome by its extended provinces, but "The Spartans" were part of a time of peace and industry.
(c) "The Roman Brothers" lived at the time that Rome had risen to its greatest repute, but "The Spartans" lived when Sparta was sinking and debauched.
(d) "The Roman Brothers" lived as Rome was transitioning from a Republic to an Empire, but "The Spartans" lived as Sparta was coming to the end of extended captivity to Macedon.
2. What does Plutarch claim that Brutus' decision to betray Caesar prove?
(a) That he was driven by principle and not emotion.
(b) That he wanted the opportunity to rule Rome.
(c) That he was ungrateful for the grace that Caesar extended to him after the civil war with Pompey.
(d) That he harbored resentment for his abandoning his mother after their affair.
3. Which of the four being compared does Plutarch accuse of committing the crime of deposing a fellow elected official?
4. How does Plutarch compare the motivations of rebelling between Dion and Brutus?
(a) Many supported Dion's revolution, but Brutus was opposed by the general public.
(b) Dion rebelled against tyranny, but Brutus sought to restore the Roman Republic.
(c) Many thought Dion sought power for himself, but Brutus wanted only to serve Rome.
(d) Dion rebelled for the benefit of Syracusans, but Brutus wanted power.
5. How did Ochus come to succeed Artaxerxes, according to Plutarch?
(a) He bribed his father.
(b) He murdered his brother Arsames and drove his other brother Ariaspes to suicide.
(c) He was the favorite of his mother.
(d) He avoided war, but his brothers died in war.
6. For what did Plutarch claim that Artaxerxes I of Persia was known?
(a) For overcoming Babylon at the height of its empire.
(b) For being generous and patient.
(c) For a gentle and noble spirit and his right hand being longer than his left hand.
(d) For being a brutal tyrant.
7. According to Plutarch, what lead to the death of Aratus' father?
(a) He was killed by a jealous magistrate wanting to take his power.
(b) He was chosen to as a magistrate over Sicyon as it tried to relieve itself from several tyrannies.
(c) He died in battle for Sicyon.
(d) He was killed after being exposed as leader of a conspiracy to overthrow a tyranny.
8. Which one of the four being compared does Plutarch report had no great action worthy of a commander?
9. According to Plutarch, what was the difference in political support between "The Roman Brothers" and "The Spartans"?
(a) "The Roman Brothers" had their support from military men, but "The Spartans" were supported by the general public.
(b) "The Roman Brothers" kept opposition in check with strong support from the plebes, but "The Spartans" won political challenges through forceful personalities.
(c) "The Roman Brothers" had strong support from leaders in the senate, but "The Spartans" got their support from military men.
(d) "The Roman Brothers" were opposed by influential men of their day, but "The Spartans" were supported by history and the authority of one of the most important political leaders of Sparta.
10. What does Plutarch report that Antony did after his first reaction the Assassination of Caesar?
(a) Organized a tribunal to judge the members of the conspiracy.
(b) He delivered a speech that turned the Roman population against Brutus and Cassius.
(c) Joined Octavius and Lepidus in a triumvirate.
(d) Began a civil war to punish Brutus and Cassius.
11. Who led a conspiracy to overthrow the Roman Government that Plutarch reports Cicero exposed in the Senate?
12. After the death of Tiberius, what did Plutarch report to be the first office to which his brother, Caius was elected?
13. How did Plutarch compare the deaths of "The Roman Brothers" to "The Spartans"?
(a) Plutarch believes both died nobly pursuing what they felt was the best for their people.
(b) Plutarch believes that "The Spartans" died more courageously than did "The Roman Brothers"?
(c) Plutarch believes that "The Roman" brothers died nobly defending their principles, but "The Spartans" died from an unwise pursuit of war.
(d) Plutarch's record of "The Spartans" death is the only one that is not violent, but he was impressed with how "The Roman Brothers" died in battle.
14. Why does Plutarch suggest Nicocles was wary of Aratus?
(a) Because he had a score to settle with the tyrants of Sicyon.
(b) His character was highly regarded by exiles from Nicocles tyranny.
(c) Because he was known to be a scheming politician.
(d) Because he had a reputation of being vengeful and rebellious.
15. What did Plutarch claim to be the differences in motivation between Demosthenes and Cicero?
(a) Demosthenes was motivated by inspiring Greeks to their past glory, but Cicero was driven by the desire for glory.
(b) Demosthenes was motivated by personal gain, but Cicero refused to take any gifts.
(c) Demosthenes sought glory and honor, but Cicero was motivated by personal gain.
(d) Demosthenes was humble and generous, but Cicero was impulsive and greedy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Plutarch claim came of Caius after his death?
2. Who did wealthy land owners influence from the Senate to oppose Tiberius' efforts at land reform, according to Plutarch?
3. Who did Plutarch identify as being responsible for opposing and turning back the legal and land reforms that were won by Caius as tribune?
4. What role did Antony eventually take in Rome, according to Plutarch, after Caesar's assassination?
5. What is the reason Plutarch gives for Aratus deciding to make alliance with Philip of Macedon?
This section contains 1,107 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)