|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Plutarch consider to be the difference between the reasons that Demosthenes and Cicero fled from the authorities?
(a) Demosthenes flight for speaking truth to power was more noble that Cicero's flight out of fear because he had insulted a powerful general.
(b) The bribery accusation from which Demosthenes fled was less honorable than Cicero's flight for opposing Caesar's son's rule.
(c) The call to war that brought Athenians to despise Demosthenes was more admirable than Cicero's flight because he made enemies of powerful leaders.
(d) Demosthenes fled because his rhetoric made him the enemies of the powerful, but Cicero left for the humiliation of insulting his superiors.
2. How did Plutarch characterize the differences in the changes in government "The Roman Brothers" and "The Spartans" sought to achieve?
(a) "The Roman Brothers" aimed at settling cities, mending highways, and recovering public lands whereas "The Spartans" sought to restore their city to its ancient state.
(b) "The Roman Brothers" sought to place all power in a king, but "The Spartans" sought democracy.
(c) "The Roman Brothers" sought to restore Rome to its ancient Republic, whereas "The Spartans" sought internal improvements.
(d) "The Roman Brothers" worked to restore the principles of the Republic, whereas "The Spartans" attempted to rid Sparta of its Greek democratic influence.
3. How did Plutarch explain the tyrrant, Nicocles, rose to power?
(a) He assassinated Paseas.
(b) He invaded Sicyon and destroyed the leaders there.
(c) He took power from the other two members of a triumvirate.
(d) He inherited the position from his father.
4. Who did Plutarch identify as being responsible for opposing and turning back the legal and land reforms that were won by Caius as tribune?
(b) Caius Laelius.
5. Who does Plutarch claim led a successful conspiracy to murder Dion?
(a) His brother Thearides.
(b) His half brother Ochus.
(c) His friend, Callippus.
6. What Macedonian King did Plutarch claim regarded Aratus as a trusted adviser?
7. Plutarch's tone in the profile of Aratus changes from his other reports. Why is this?
(a) Plutarch was commissioned by Aratus' decendants to write the history.
(b) Plutarch is a decendant of Aratus.
(c) Plutarch declares Aratus to be his most favored figure.
(d) It was written directly to a descendant of Aratus named Polycrates.
8. What does Plutarch identify as the difference in the characters between "The Roman Brothers" and "The Spartans"?
(a) "The Roman Brothers" had a desire to strengthen the systems of the Senate, but "The Spartans" sought to place all power in a single king.
(b) "The Roman Brothers" aspired to despotic power, but "The Spartans had a desire for glory and honors.
(c) "The Roman Brothers" had a desire for glory and honors, but "The Spartans" loved contests and aspired to despotic power.
(d) "The Roman Brothers" sought to serve the Romans, but "The Spartans" sought to inspire revolution against Sparta's kings.
9. Why does Plutarch consider Demetrius' death more dishonorable than Antony's?
(a) Because Demetrius died from alcoholism.
(b) Because Demetrius died in captivity after a failed military adventure.
(c) Because Demetrius died after rebelling against his country.
(d) Because Demetrius died fleeing from his own army.
10. How did Tiberius finally push his land reform law through the Senate, according to Plutarch?
(a) He imposed an edict preventing all magistrates from performing their functions until the law was passed.
(b) He incited the homeless soldiers to storm the senate and forse it to support the law.
(c) He influenced the praetorian guard to enforce the law in spite of it not passing the senate.
(d) He used his rhetorical skills to influence the senate to support his land reform law.
11. Where does Plutarch claim that Demosthenes was when he committed suicide to avoid capture by the Macedonians?
(a) On his way to the public baths.
(b) In his home in Athens.
(c) In the Athenian Assembly.
(d) A temple in Calauria.
12. Who did Demetrius kill to take the throne of Macedon, according to Plutarch?
(a) Alexander, son of Philip.
(b) Alexander, son of Cassander.
13. With whom does Plutarch report that Cicero joined in a conspiracy with against the son of Caesar?
(a) Pompey and Crassus.
(b) Brutus and Cassius.
(c) Antony and Lepidus.
(d) Cataline and Darius.
14. What did Plutarch claim to be the main issue facing Tiberius after he was elected tribune of the people?
(a) Reforming the laws to even justice between the wealthy and the poor.
(b) Raising revenues through taxes to support Rome's many wars and Empire.
(c) Internal improvements to help Rome transport goods in and out of the cities of the empire.
(d) Land reform to restore property taken by the wealthy class while common landowners were fighting wars.
15. Who did Brutus join in the successful assassination attempt against Caesar, according to Plutarch?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Plutarch claim that Brutus' decision to betray Caesar prove?
2. What is the difference Plutarch cites between the leaders that Dion and Brutus overthrew?
3. How did Ochus come to succeed Artaxerxes, according to Plutarch?
4. Which one of the four being compared does Plutarch report had no great action worthy of a commander?
5. What is the reason Plutarch gives for Aratus deciding to make alliance with Philip of Macedon?
This section contains 1,002 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)