|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what does Plutarch claim Marcus Brutus is known?
(a) For his role in the civil war with Pompey.
(b) For being the illegitimate son of Caesar.
(c) For being the, "Noblest Roman of them all."
(d) Acting as one of the assassins of Caesar.
2. What did Plutarch report as the difference in the affects on the homelands of "The Roman Brothers" and "The Spartans"?
(a) The work of "The Roman Brothers" helped to expand the Roman Empire, but "The Spartans" led to an extended captivity to Macedon.
(b) "The Roman Brothers" were responsible for the split of the Roman Empire, but "The Spartans" extended Sparta into India.
(c) The work of "The Roman Brothers" gave no addition to Rome's former greatness, but "The Spartans" helped Sparta exert power over all of Peloponnesus and restored the orderly rule of the sons of Hercules.
(d) "The Roman Brothers" stabilized the government prior to its greatest empirical march, but "The Spartans" left the government stagnated and ineffectual.
3. How does Plutarch explain the differences in the public acceptance with Demetrius' collection of wives and mistresses and Antony's affair with Cleopatra?
(a) The Spartans commonly practiced polygamy whereas monogamy was the standard in Rome.
(b) Demetrius only married Spartan women, but Antony pursued women of many nationalities.
(c) Demetrius married many women to leave many sons, Antony only pursued women to enhance his political status.
(d) Demetrius pursued both wealthy and common women, but Antony only pursued wealthy women.
4. How does Plutarch claim that Demosthenes became the best orator of his time?
(a) He was trained in rhetorical arts by Aristotle.
(b) By practicing long hours to develop a dramatic, persuasive style.
(c) He was an avid reader and often quoted from the ancient masters.
(d) He had a natural flare that came naturally.
5. Which of the four being compared does Plutarch accuse of committing the crime of deposing a fellow elected official?
6. According to Plutarch, for what was Cicero's rhetoric noted?
(a) Somber and serious focus.
(b) Planned and methodical logic.
(c) Sharp wit, constant joking, and sarcastic remarks.
(d) Fiery emotion and revolutionary appeal.
7. Who did Brutus join in the successful assassination attempt against Caesar, according to Plutarch?
8. Who does Plutarch claim led a successful conspiracy to murder Dion?
(a) His friend, Callippus.
(b) His half brother Ochus.
(c) His brother Thearides.
9. Plutarch's tone in the profile of Aratus changes from his other reports. Why is this?
(a) Plutarch is a decendant of Aratus.
(b) Plutarch declares Aratus to be his most favored figure.
(c) It was written directly to a descendant of Aratus named Polycrates.
(d) Plutarch was commissioned by Aratus' decendants to write the history.
10. How does Plutarch explain that Aratus finally end Nicocles' reign over Sicyon?
(a) He conducted a military confrontation against the army of Sicyon.
(b) He used his rhetorical skills to inspire the population to establish its own government.
(c) He led a revolution in Sicyon to overthrow all the tyrants.
(d) He conducted a covert insurrection and drove Nicocles from his house.
11. For what does Plutarch claim Artaxerxes II was known?
(a) He was known as the Mindful.
(b) He was known for constructing ana alliance of Greeks and Macedonians.
(c) He was known for having one leg shorter than the other.
(d) He was known for his biting sarcastic rhetorical style.
12. What did Plutarch claim that Caius had to overcome before he was elected to tribune?
(a) False charges that he had been defiant to his authorities as a quaestor, that he had excited insurrections among allies, and had been involved in conspiracies.
(b) The unwillingness of the senate to release lands that were under its authority.
(c) His fear that the animosity for his brother still existed.
(d) The hold that landowners had over the senate.
13. How did Plutarch claim Artaxerxes avoided a war with the Spartans?
(a) He joined with Alexander who then routed the Spartans.
(b) He bribed the Greeks to declare war with the Spartans.
(c) He offered the Spartans half his kingdom.
(d) He navigated his troops around the Spartans until they became exhausted and depleted.
14. What does Plutarch claim that Brutus' decision to betray Caesar prove?
(a) That he harbored resentment for his abandoning his mother after their affair.
(b) That he was ungrateful for the grace that Caesar extended to him after the civil war with Pompey.
(c) That he wanted the opportunity to rule Rome.
(d) That he was driven by principle and not emotion.
15. Why did Plutarch claim Artaxerxes' mother favored Cyrus as king when Darius died?
(a) Because she had given birth to Cyrus after Darius had become king.
(b) Because Cyrus was peaceful and Artaxerxes was a warrior.
(c) Because Artaxerxes travelled on campaigns with his father, while Cyrus stayed and managed the home for his mother.
(d) Because Artaxerxes' mother became pregnant with him while Cyrus was married to another woman.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the reason Plutarch gives for Aratus deciding to make alliance with Philip of Macedon?
2. How did Plutarch explain the tyrrant, Nicocles, rose to power?
3. After the death of Tiberius, what did Plutarch report to be the first office to which his brother, Caius was elected?
4. Where did Demosthenes encourage Greeks to resist the rule of Philip and Alexander, according to Plutarch?
5. Who did Plutarch report to be the first Roman official to try to take up the issue that confronted Tiberius after his election as tribune?
This section contains 951 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)