|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Plutarch claim came of Caius after his death?
(a) His head was cut off and presented to Opimius as a gift.
(b) Romans felt regret for what had happened and erected a statue in his honor.
(c) His body was displayed by his enemies as a warning to his supporters.
(d) His body was found by his family and burned.
2. Who did Plutarch identify as the Senator that Brutus opposed, but joined in a civil war against Caesar?
3. According to Plutarch, for what was Cicero's rhetoric noted?
(a) Planned and methodical logic.
(b) Sharp wit, constant joking, and sarcastic remarks.
(c) Fiery emotion and revolutionary appeal.
(d) Somber and serious focus.
4. What did Plutarch report Darius did to prevent his ascension to Artaxerxes' throne?
(a) He fled for Rome.
(b) He married a Spartan woman.
(c) He made himself a eunuch.
(d) He was discovered in a conspiracy to kill Artaxerxes and was executed.
5. How does Plutarch explain the differences in the public acceptance with Demetrius' collection of wives and mistresses and Antony's affair with Cleopatra?
(a) Demetrius only married Spartan women, but Antony pursued women of many nationalities.
(b) Demetrius married many women to leave many sons, Antony only pursued women to enhance his political status.
(c) Demetrius pursued both wealthy and common women, but Antony only pursued wealthy women.
(d) The Spartans commonly practiced polygamy whereas monogamy was the standard in Rome.
6. Why does Plutarch consider Demetrius' death more dishonorable than Antony's?
(a) Because Demetrius died after rebelling against his country.
(b) Because Demetrius died fleeing from his own army.
(c) Because Demetrius died in captivity after a failed military adventure.
(d) Because Demetrius died from alcoholism.
7. Who was the Macedonian King from which Plutarch reported Demetrius and his father, Antigonus, freed Athens?
8. How does Plutarch explain public anger both Dion and Brutus received for their stands against Dionysius II and Caesar respectively?
(a) The public was angry at Dion for having allowed Dionysius II to escape, but the public was angry with Brutus for killing a popular leader.
(b) The public was angry at Dion for opposing an effective leader, but it was angry at Brutus for not having a trial on Caesar's crimes.
(c) The public was angry at Dion for leaving Syracuse after he overthrew Dionysius II, but it was angry at Brutus for not staying in Rome.
(d) The public was angry at Dion for trying to take Dionysius II's throne, but it was angry at Brutus for turning away from the vacant throne.
9. What quote from Plato does Plutarch use to begin a criticism in his profiles of Demetrius and Antony?
(a) "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times."
(b) "Great natures produce great vices as well as virtues."
(c) "Whence it was that, men say, Simonides called Sparta "the tamer of men," because by early strictness of education, they became wise."
(d) It is not great wonder if in long process of time, while fortune takes her course hither and thither, numerous coincidences should spontaneously occur."
10. Who does Plutarch identify as predecessor to Galba as emperor of Rome?
11. How did Plutarch characterize the differences in the changes in government "The Roman Brothers" and "The Spartans" sought to achieve?
(a) "The Roman Brothers" sought to place all power in a king, but "The Spartans" sought democracy.
(b) "The Roman Brothers" sought to restore Rome to its ancient Republic, whereas "The Spartans" sought internal improvements.
(c) "The Roman Brothers" worked to restore the principles of the Republic, whereas "The Spartans" attempted to rid Sparta of its Greek democratic influence.
(d) "The Roman Brothers" aimed at settling cities, mending highways, and recovering public lands whereas "The Spartans" sought to restore their city to its ancient state.
12. What tyrannical Syracusan King does Plutarch report Dion served as he became wealthy?
(a) Dionysius II.
(b) Dionysius I.
13. Why does Plutarch claim that Cicero's leading the execution of conspirators to overthrow Rome was controversial?
(a) Because executions of failed conspirators was rare.
(b) Because the conspiracy involved Rome's most important generals.
(c) Because Romans abhorred violence.
(d) Because they were done without a trial.
14. What does Plutarch consider to be the difference in the military achievements between Dion and Brutus?
(a) Brutus was a better general, but Dion faced more worthy opponents.
(b) Dion favored closed confrontations, but Brutus preferred fighting in open fields.
(c) Dion was the better general, but Brutus faced a more worthy opponent.
(d) Don was a better tactician, but Brutus was more courageous.
15. Why did Antigonus' son, Philip, kill Aratus, according to Plutarch?
(a) He became resentful of Aratus.
(b) He wanted to rule over Aratus' Greek alliance.
(c) He saw Aratus as a threat to his power.
(d) He had an affair with Aratus' wife while Aratus was fighting for him in battle.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Plutarch report to be the differences between Rome and Sparta at the time "The Roman Brothers" and "The Spartans" had their influence?
2. According to Plutarch, what was Artaxerxes' name before he became king?
3. What does Plutarch record that Antony did in response to Brutus' and Cassius' assassination of Caesar?
4. Who does Plutarch claim led a successful conspiracy to murder Dion?
5. What affect does Plutarch claim Aratus' education and his father's death have on Aratus?
This section contains 1,049 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)