|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Plutarch, what lead to the death of Aratus' father?
(a) He was killed by a jealous magistrate wanting to take his power.
(b) He was chosen to as a magistrate over Sicyon as it tried to relieve itself from several tyrannies.
(c) He died in battle for Sicyon.
(d) He was killed after being exposed as leader of a conspiracy to overthrow a tyranny.
2. Where did Demosthenes encourage Greeks to resist the rule of Philip and Alexander, according to Plutarch?
(a) Through a Greek defensive alliance called Achaea.
(b) In the Athenian Assembly.
(c) On the streets of Athens.
(d) At the battle of Chaeronea.
3. Who does Plutarch identify as the father of Aratus?
4. How does Plutarch explain public anger both Dion and Brutus received for their stands against Dionysius II and Caesar respectively?
(a) The public was angry at Dion for opposing an effective leader, but it was angry at Brutus for not having a trial on Caesar's crimes.
(b) The public was angry at Dion for having allowed Dionysius II to escape, but the public was angry with Brutus for killing a popular leader.
(c) The public was angry at Dion for leaving Syracuse after he overthrew Dionysius II, but it was angry at Brutus for not staying in Rome.
(d) The public was angry at Dion for trying to take Dionysius II's throne, but it was angry at Brutus for turning away from the vacant throne.
5. With whom does Plutarch report that Cicero joined in a conspiracy with against the son of Caesar?
(a) Antony and Lepidus.
(b) Pompey and Crassus.
(c) Cataline and Darius.
(d) Brutus and Cassius.
6. For what did Plutarch claim that Artaxerxes I of Persia was known?
(a) For being a brutal tyrant.
(b) For a gentle and noble spirit and his right hand being longer than his left hand.
(c) For overcoming Babylon at the height of its empire.
(d) For being generous and patient.
7. Who did Plutarch identify as the Senator that Brutus opposed, but joined in a civil war against Caesar?
8. In the comparison of Tiberius and Caius Gracchus (henceforth identified here as "The Roman Brothers") with Agis and Cleomenes ("The Spartans"), how does Plutarch refer to Tiberius and Caius as a unit?
(a) Tiberius and Caius.
(b) The Romans.
(c) The Gracchi.
(d) Sons of Gracchus.
9. According to Plutarch, for what was Cicero's rhetoric noted?
(a) Somber and serious focus.
(b) Fiery emotion and revolutionary appeal.
(c) Sharp wit, constant joking, and sarcastic remarks.
(d) Planned and methodical logic.
10. What role did Antony eventually take in Rome, according to Plutarch, after Caesar's assassination?
(a) He took power with Lepidius and Octavian in a triumvirate similar to the one formed by Caesar, Pompey, and Crassus.
(b) He became one of Rome's most powerful generals.
(c) He became the lead diplomat to Egypt.
(d) He became the consul of the senate.
11. Who does Plutarch claim to be the three Macedonian Kings under whom Demosthenes lived?
(a) Alexander, Antipater, Philip III.
(b) Philip, Alexander, and Antipater.
(c) Antipater, Philip III, Cassander.
(d) Amyntas IV, Philip, Alexander.
12. How was the Artaxerxes from Plutarch's "Lives" related to the first Artaxerxes to rule over Persia?
(a) He was the grandson to Artaxerxes through his mother, Parysatis.
(b) They were the same person.
(c) He was a distant nephew whose family conspired to come into the line of the throne.
(d) He was a general who just happened to have the same name.
13. What tyrannical Syracusan King does Plutarch report Dion served as he became wealthy?
(a) Dionysius I.
(c) Dionysius II.
14. How did Plutarch claim Artaxerxes avoided a war with the Spartans?
(a) He offered the Spartans half his kingdom.
(b) He joined with Alexander who then routed the Spartans.
(c) He navigated his troops around the Spartans until they became exhausted and depleted.
(d) He bribed the Greeks to declare war with the Spartans.
15. What Macedonian King did Plutarch claim regarded Aratus as a trusted adviser?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Plutarch claim that Demosthenes was when he committed suicide to avoid capture by the Macedonians?
2. What political difference does Plutarch recognize between "The Spartans"?
3. Plutarch's tone in the profile of Aratus changes from his other reports. Why is this?
4. Which one of the four being compared does Plutarch report had no great action worthy of a commander?
5. How did Ochus come to succeed Artaxerxes, according to Plutarch?
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)