|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Plutarch, what was Artaxerxes' name before he became king?
2. With whom does Plutarch report that Cicero joined in a conspiracy with against the son of Caesar?
(a) Pompey and Crassus.
(b) Antony and Lepidus.
(c) Cataline and Darius.
(d) Brutus and Cassius.
3. Why does Plutarch suggest that Dion was banished from Syracuse by the supporters of Dionysisus' son, Dionysisus II?
(a) They feared that he was plotting to take Dionysius II's throne.
(b) They feared that he would rise above them in power.
(c) They feared he would have them killed.
(d) They feared the influence he was having against the Dionysius II use of tyrrany.
4. In the comparison of Tiberius and Caius Gracchus (henceforth identified here as "The Roman Brothers") with Agis and Cleomenes ("The Spartans"), how does Plutarch refer to Tiberius and Caius as a unit?
(a) Tiberius and Caius.
(b) Sons of Gracchus.
(c) The Gracchi.
(d) The Romans.
5. Which one of the four being compared does Plutarch report had no great action worthy of a commander?
6. Who does Plutarch report was to be successor to Artaxerxes throne?
(a) His favorite son, Ariaspes.
(b) His second son, Arsames.
(c) His oldest son Darius.
(d) His scheming son, Ochus.
7. For what does Plutarch claim Marcus Brutus is known?
(a) For being the, "Noblest Roman of them all."
(b) Acting as one of the assassins of Caesar.
(c) For being the illegitimate son of Caesar.
(d) For his role in the civil war with Pompey.
8. Who did Plutarch identify as being responsible for opposing and turning back the legal and land reforms that were won by Caius as tribune?
(c) Caius Laelius.
9. Plutarch's tone in the profile of Aratus changes from his other reports. Why is this?
(a) Plutarch declares Aratus to be his most favored figure.
(b) It was written directly to a descendant of Aratus named Polycrates.
(c) Plutarch is a decendant of Aratus.
(d) Plutarch was commissioned by Aratus' decendants to write the history.
10. According to Plutarch, why was the issue still alive for Tiberius in spite of previous efforts to address the issue?
(a) Cicero's sarcastic rhetorical style alienated more senators than it won over.
(b) Crassus' well known animosity for Caesar put his causes on the losing side in the senate.
(c) Caius Laelius folded under political pressure from men of authority.
(d) Scipio could not overcome the political influence of senators who had sold their votes to wealthy landowners.
11. How does Plutarch explain public anger both Dion and Brutus received for their stands against Dionysius II and Caesar respectively?
(a) The public was angry at Dion for opposing an effective leader, but it was angry at Brutus for not having a trial on Caesar's crimes.
(b) The public was angry at Dion for leaving Syracuse after he overthrew Dionysius II, but it was angry at Brutus for not staying in Rome.
(c) The public was angry at Dion for trying to take Dionysius II's throne, but it was angry at Brutus for turning away from the vacant throne.
(d) The public was angry at Dion for having allowed Dionysius II to escape, but the public was angry with Brutus for killing a popular leader.
12. Why did Plutarch report Cyrus attempted to overthrow Artaxerxes?
(a) Because the people of Persia could not support anymore wars.
(b) Cyrus listened to factious men that voiced the opinion that the times and size of the Persian Empire required a leader with Cyrus' talents.
(c) Because Artaxerxes' son, Darius, convinced him he would share power with him.
(d) Because Cyrus knew he would have his mother's support.
13. What does Plutarch report that Antony did after his first reaction the Assassination of Caesar?
(a) Began a civil war to punish Brutus and Cassius.
(b) He delivered a speech that turned the Roman population against Brutus and Cassius.
(c) Joined Octavius and Lepidus in a triumvirate.
(d) Organized a tribunal to judge the members of the conspiracy.
14. How did Tiberius finally push his land reform law through the Senate, according to Plutarch?
(a) He imposed an edict preventing all magistrates from performing their functions until the law was passed.
(b) He used his rhetorical skills to influence the senate to support his land reform law.
(c) He influenced the praetorian guard to enforce the law in spite of it not passing the senate.
(d) He incited the homeless soldiers to storm the senate and forse it to support the law.
15. Why did Antigonus' son, Philip, kill Aratus, according to Plutarch?
(a) He had an affair with Aratus' wife while Aratus was fighting for him in battle.
(b) He saw Aratus as a threat to his power.
(c) He wanted to rule over Aratus' Greek alliance.
(d) He became resentful of Aratus.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Plutarch, who prevented Cyrus from assassinating Artaxerxes at his inaugural ceremonies as king?
2. What does Plutarch claim Demosthenes did with his suicide?
3. Who did Plutarch identify as the Senator that Brutus opposed, but joined in a civil war against Caesar?
4. Why did Plutarch claim Artaxerxes' mother favored Cyrus as king when Darius died?
5. What role did Antony eventually take in Rome, according to Plutarch, after Caesar's assassination?
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)