Final Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did Plutarch report to be the first Roman official to try to take up the issue that confronted Tiberius after his election as tribune?
(c) Caius Laelius.
2. Who does Plutarch identify as predecessor to Galba as emperor of Rome?
3. What honor does Plutarch report this earned for Demetrius and Antigonus from the Athenians?
(a) They were named among the Athenian dieties.
(b) They were given powerful positions in the Athenian Assembly.
(c) They were given a palace.
(d) They were awarded with vineyards and gold.
4. Who led a conspiracy to overthrow the Roman Government that Plutarch reports Cicero exposed in the Senate?
5. Why did Plutarch claim that Tiberius was beaten to death on the Senate Floor?
(a) Because homeless soldiers got tired of waiting for his success and stormed the senate floor and cornered Tiberius.
(b) Because landowners became frustrated by his persistence and decided to end it in the senate.
(c) Because Octavius made a speech that associated Tiberius' actions with those who had ambitions to become king.
(d) Because the senate was convinced that he was involved in the conspiracy against Caesar by Antony.
6. Who does Plutarch report was to be successor to Artaxerxes throne?
(a) His scheming son, Ochus.
(b) His oldest son Darius.
(c) His second son, Arsames.
(d) His favorite son, Ariaspes.
7. According to Plutarch, what was the difference in political support between "The Roman Brothers" and "The Spartans"?
(a) "The Roman Brothers" were opposed by influential men of their day, but "The Spartans" were supported by history and the authority of one of the most important political leaders of Sparta.
(b) "The Roman Brothers" had their support from military men, but "The Spartans" were supported by the general public.
(c) "The Roman Brothers" kept opposition in check with strong support from the plebes, but "The Spartans" won political challenges through forceful personalities.
(d) "The Roman Brothers" had strong support from leaders in the senate, but "The Spartans" got their support from military men.
8. What does Plutarch claim that Brutus' decision to betray Caesar prove?
(a) That he harbored resentment for his abandoning his mother after their affair.
(b) That he wanted the opportunity to rule Rome.
(c) That he was driven by principle and not emotion.
(d) That he was ungrateful for the grace that Caesar extended to him after the civil war with Pompey.
9. According to Plutarch, for what was Cicero's rhetoric noted?
(a) Planned and methodical logic.
(b) Sharp wit, constant joking, and sarcastic remarks.
(c) Fiery emotion and revolutionary appeal.
(d) Somber and serious focus.
10. What does Plutarch claim Demosthenes did with his suicide?
(a) Caused great sorrow to the Greeks who marveled in his wisdom.
(b) Satisfied his political opponents in the Athenian Assembly.
(c) Laughed to scorn the cruelty of Antipater.
(d) Cheated Antipater of the opportunity to publicly humiliate him.
11. What does Plutarch record that Antony did in response to Brutus' and Cassius' assassination of Caesar?
(a) Started an immediate pursuit to execute them for their crimes.
(b) Used the vacancy created by Caesar's death to attempt to fill a power vacuum.
(c) Joined their alliance so he could become part of the Roman power structure.
(d) Recommend them as governors for Roman provinces.
12. Who did Plutarch identify as being responsible for opposing and turning back the legal and land reforms that were won by Caius as tribune?
(a) Caius Laelius.
13. Why does Plutarch suggest Nicocles was wary of Aratus?
(a) His character was highly regarded by exiles from Nicocles tyranny.
(b) Because he had a reputation of being vengeful and rebellious.
(c) Because he had a score to settle with the tyrants of Sicyon.
(d) Because he was known to be a scheming politician.
14. Who does Plutarch claim led a successful conspiracy to murder Dion?
(a) His half brother Ochus.
(b) His brother Thearides.
(c) His friend, Callippus.
15. How did Plutarch explain the difference between Tiberius and Caius when they delivered speeches?
(a) Tiberius was confrontational; Caius was diplomatic.
(b) Tiberius was verbose and theatrical; Caius was slow and methodical.
(c) Tiberius was gentle and composed, and Caius was earnest and vehement.
(d) Tiberius was rehearsed and serious; Caius was sarcastic and whimisical.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the four being compared does Plutarch accuse of committing the crime of deposing a fellow elected official?
2. How does Plutarch explain the differences in the public acceptance with Demetrius' collection of wives and mistresses and Antony's affair with Cleopatra?
3. How does Plutarch report that Demosthenes and Cicero showed the differences in their personalities through their speeches?
4. How did Plutarch characterize the differences in the changes in government "The Roman Brothers" and "The Spartans" sought to achieve?
5. What does Plutarch report led to Antony's suicide at the threat of being defeated by Octavian?
This section contains 1,005 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)