|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Plutarch explain public anger both Dion and Brutus received for their stands against Dionysius II and Caesar respectively?
(a) The public was angry at Dion for leaving Syracuse after he overthrew Dionysius II, but it was angry at Brutus for not staying in Rome.
(b) The public was angry at Dion for trying to take Dionysius II's throne, but it was angry at Brutus for turning away from the vacant throne.
(c) The public was angry at Dion for having allowed Dionysius II to escape, but the public was angry with Brutus for killing a popular leader.
(d) The public was angry at Dion for opposing an effective leader, but it was angry at Brutus for not having a trial on Caesar's crimes.
2. How did Ochus come to succeed Artaxerxes, according to Plutarch?
(a) He murdered his brother Arsames and drove his other brother Ariaspes to suicide.
(b) He was the favorite of his mother.
(c) He avoided war, but his brothers died in war.
(d) He bribed his father.
3. According to Plutarch, for what was Cicero's rhetoric noted?
(a) Planned and methodical logic.
(b) Sharp wit, constant joking, and sarcastic remarks.
(c) Fiery emotion and revolutionary appeal.
(d) Somber and serious focus.
4. Who was the Macedonian King from which Plutarch reported Demetrius and his father, Antigonus, freed Athens?
5. How did Plutarch explain the difference between Tiberius and Caius when they delivered speeches?
(a) Tiberius was verbose and theatrical; Caius was slow and methodical.
(b) Tiberius was confrontational; Caius was diplomatic.
(c) Tiberius was rehearsed and serious; Caius was sarcastic and whimisical.
(d) Tiberius was gentle and composed, and Caius was earnest and vehement.
6. How did Plutarch characterize the differences in the changes in government "The Roman Brothers" and "The Spartans" sought to achieve?
(a) "The Roman Brothers" sought to place all power in a king, but "The Spartans" sought democracy.
(b) "The Roman Brothers" aimed at settling cities, mending highways, and recovering public lands whereas "The Spartans" sought to restore their city to its ancient state.
(c) "The Roman Brothers" worked to restore the principles of the Republic, whereas "The Spartans" attempted to rid Sparta of its Greek democratic influence.
(d) "The Roman Brothers" sought to restore Rome to its ancient Republic, whereas "The Spartans" sought internal improvements.
7. In the comparison of Tiberius and Caius Gracchus (henceforth identified here as "The Roman Brothers") with Agis and Cleomenes ("The Spartans"), how does Plutarch refer to Tiberius and Caius as a unit?
(a) Tiberius and Caius.
(b) The Romans.
(c) The Gracchi.
(d) Sons of Gracchus.
8. Who does Plutarch report to be the father of Tiberius and Caius Gracchus?
(a) Caius Gracchus I.
(c) Tiberius Gracchus I.
(d) Julius Caesar.
9. According to Plutarch, what was the purpose of the Greek alliances that Aratus helped to form?
(a) To establish a political base for his plans for power.
(b) To provide an empire for his ancestor's wealth.
(c) Creating a great empire to challenge the Romans.
(d) Mutual defense of the allied cities.
10. What did Plutarch claim to be the differences in motivation between Demosthenes and Cicero?
(a) Demosthenes was humble and generous, but Cicero was impulsive and greedy.
(b) Demosthenes was motivated by personal gain, but Cicero refused to take any gifts.
(c) Demosthenes was motivated by inspiring Greeks to their past glory, but Cicero was driven by the desire for glory.
(d) Demosthenes sought glory and honor, but Cicero was motivated by personal gain.
11. What did Plutarch report Darius did to prevent his ascension to Artaxerxes' throne?
(a) He married a Spartan woman.
(b) He was discovered in a conspiracy to kill Artaxerxes and was executed.
(c) He fled for Rome.
(d) He made himself a eunuch.
12. What is the first difference that Plutarch found between Demetrius and Antony?
(a) Demetrius lived a restrained life, but Antony was a victim of his vices.
(b) Demetrius was born into a humble family, but Antony was born into wealth.
(c) Demetrius was a willing mercenary, but Antony fought only for the glory of Rome.
(d) Demetrius' father proved his power as a great battle general, but Antony's father was not a warrior.
13. Why did Plutarch claim Artaxerxes' mother favored Cyrus as king when Darius died?
(a) Because Cyrus was peaceful and Artaxerxes was a warrior.
(b) Because Artaxerxes' mother became pregnant with him while Cyrus was married to another woman.
(c) Because she had given birth to Cyrus after Darius had become king.
(d) Because Artaxerxes travelled on campaigns with his father, while Cyrus stayed and managed the home for his mother.
14. How did Plutarch explain the tyrrant, Nicocles, rose to power?
(a) He invaded Sicyon and destroyed the leaders there.
(b) He assassinated Paseas.
(c) He took power from the other two members of a triumvirate.
(d) He inherited the position from his father.
15. What does Plutarch claim that Brutus' decision to betray Caesar prove?
(a) That he wanted the opportunity to rule Rome.
(b) That he was ungrateful for the grace that Caesar extended to him after the civil war with Pompey.
(c) That he harbored resentment for his abandoning his mother after their affair.
(d) That he was driven by principle and not emotion.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the reason Plutarch gives for Aratus deciding to make alliance with Philip of Macedon?
2. After Dion drove Donysius II from Syracuse, what does Plutarch claim came of his attempt to form a government?
3. Who did Demetrius kill to take the throne of Macedon, according to Plutarch?
4. How was the Artaxerxes from Plutarch's "Lives" related to the first Artaxerxes to rule over Persia?
5. How did Plutarch compare the deaths of "The Roman Brothers" to "The Spartans"?
This section contains 1,084 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)