|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Plutarch, when did Phocion rise to power in Athens?
(a) After the death of Eumenes.
(b) As the ship of state in Athens was sinking.
(c) After Alexander had decided to invade Persia.
(d) As Greece was recovering from war with the Macedonians.
2. How did Agesilaus take the throne from his brother, Agis, according to Plutarch?
(a) Agesilaus poisoned Agis.
(b) Lysander, a popular general, applied a misinterpretation of a prophesy against the rumored illegitimate son of Agis.
(c) Agesilaus defeated Agis in a duel.
(d) Agesilaus hired conspirators to murder Agis.
3. What does Plutarch claim caused Caesar and Pompey to become rivals for power?
(a) The rivalry between Pompey's father and Caesar's family.
(b) Pompey's alliance with Crassus.
(c) Pompey's defeat to Sertorius in Spain.
(d) Crassus' death.
4. Who was the Persian King that Plutarch reported Alexander defeated on his expedition to India?
5. What did Plutarch report to be the result of Cato's management of the exchequer?
(a) Cato filled it with treasure and made it appear the state might be rich without oppressing the people.
(b) Cato reduced taxes, but the senate was preoccupied with using the treasury for political favors.
(c) Cato was inundated with dealing with corruption and faced down opposition.
(d) Cato served only briefly because of the corrupt expectations of the political system.
6. Who joined Agis to turn back the laws that placed inherited land under control of a few wealthy families, according to Plutarch?
(a) Leonidas, son of Cleonymus.
(b) Agesilaus, his half brother.
(c) Cleomenes, husband to Agiatis.
(d) Lysander, the son of Libys and Madroclidas, the son of Ecphanes.
7. What victory of Phocion over the Macedonians did Plutarch report as being that which earned the admiration of Philip, King of Macedon?
(a) The battle of Chaeronaea.
(b) The battle of Persia.
(c) The battle of Delphi.
(d) The battle for Euboea.
8. With whom did Pompey make war that Plutarch reported eventually led to his death in Egypt?
(a) Pompey led a civil war against Crassus to consolidate the power of the Triumvirate.
(b) Pompey led a civil war against Antony after the assassination of Caesar.
(c) Pompey led a civil war against Caesar in an attempt to take Caesar's power.
(d) Pompey led a civil war against Sertorius to exert Roman control over Western Europe.
9. How old does Plutarch claim Alexander to have been when Philip left him in charge of Macedon while he went on an expedition against Byzantine?
10. Who does Plutarch report to be the master of Rome before Caesar came to power?
11. With whom did Pompey ally himself to overcome the reputation of his father, and who did Plutarch report they oppose in a civil conflict for power over Rome?
(a) Pompey allied himself with a very popular general named Sylla and they united their armies to oppose the tyrant, Carbo.
(b) Pompey allied himself with Caesar in an attempt to overthrow Sylla.
(c) Pompey allied himself with Metellus to overthrow Sertorius' rebellions in Spain.
(d) Pompey allied himself with Crassus to overthrow Caesar.
12. How did Plutarch claim Agis and Cleomenes incurred the hatred of the rich and powerful?
(a) By being desirous to restore the noble and just form of government.
(b) By inciting the working class to take their property.
(c) By taxing them to support homeless soldiers.
(d) By taking their laborers from them to fight in wars.
13. Who did Phocion advise Alexander to make war against rather than the Athenians, according to Plutarch?
(a) The Romans.
(b) The Spartans.
(c) The Indians.
(d) The Persians.
14. How did Alexander show favor to Eumenes, according to Plutarch?
(a) By arranging Eumenes' marriage to the sister of his wife.
(b) By allowing Eumenes to train the royal horses.
(c) By employing Eumenes in the palace.
(d) By making Eumenes his spear carrier.
15. According to Plutarch, who authored laws in Lacedaemonia that caused land that was once subject to inheritance within families to be taken into a few wealthy hands?
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Plutarch characterize Phocion's speech?
2. Why does Plutarch suggest that Cleomenes eliminated the office of ephors from Spartan Government?
3. What does Plutarch report of Cato during this civil war?
4. From whom did Phocion learn of the military during his youth, according to Plutarch?
5. How did Plutarch compare Sertorius and Eumenes in their views of war?
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)