|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From whom did Phocion learn of the military during his youth, according to Plutarch?
(a) Chabrias, the General.
(b) Philip, the Macedonian.
(c) Eumenes, the Spartan.
(d) Sertorius, the Roman.
2. What does Plutarch report to be the joke that Neoptoleumus, captain of Alexander's lifeguard, told of Eumenes?
(a) That other armies train with swords, but Ememes' army trains with parchment.
(b) That Alexander fought with soldiers, but Eumenes fought with words.
(c) That Eumemes' battles were always fiercer on paper than they were in the field.
(d) That he had followed Alexander with shield and spear, but Eumenes only with pen and paper.
3. What preceded Caesar's election by the Senate to Dictator, according to Plutarch?
(a) His defeat over Pompey in a civil war.
(b) Cassius choosing to join Caesar's army.
(c) Brutus' pledge of support to Caesar.
(d) A crowd stirring speech by Antony.
4. How did Agesilaus take the throne from his brother, Agis, according to Plutarch?
(a) Agesilaus hired conspirators to murder Agis.
(b) Agesilaus defeated Agis in a duel.
(c) Agesilaus poisoned Agis.
(d) Lysander, a popular general, applied a misinterpretation of a prophesy against the rumored illegitimate son of Agis.
5. How old was Alexander when Plutarch claims he took the Macedonian throne after Philip's death?
6. What victory of Phocion over the Macedonians did Plutarch report as being that which earned the admiration of Philip, King of Macedon?
(a) The battle of Persia.
(b) The battle for Euboea.
(c) The battle of Chaeronaea.
(d) The battle of Delphi.
7. According to Plutarch, what eventually led to Alexander and his mother, Olympia, separating from Philip to become his rivals?
(a) Philip's humiliating defeat against the Spartans.
(b) Philip's drunken display at the wedding of one of his nieces.
(c) Philip's squandering the family wealth on horses and soldiers.
(d) Philip's many marriages.
8. How was Pompey acquitted of embezzlement that Plutarch reported was accused against his father after he died?
(a) Pompey pledged his loyalty to Sylla.
(b) Pompey traced the thefts to a freed slave of his father's, named Alexander.
(c) Pompey set us his own slave as having stolen the funds.
(d) Pompey proved his father was in Spain governing the Roman province when the money had disappeared.
9. After his return from Spain, with whom does Plutarch claim Caesar took power over Rome in the Triumvirate?
(a) Antony and Octavius.
(b) Brutus and Cassius.
(c) Sylla and Nero.
(d) Crassus and Pompey.
10. What does Plutarch declare to be the condition of men in public life?
(a) "You see what power is--holding someone else's fear in your hand and showing it to them."
(b) "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
(c) "...(They) are content to make themselves the slaves and followers of all the people's humors and caprices."
(d) "There is danger from all men. The only maxim of a free government ought to be to trust no man living with power to endangerment of the public liberty.
11. What was a political hurdle that Plutarch claimed Pompey had to overcome?
(a) He was a rival to Caesar.
(b) He was a rival to Crassus.
(c) Pompey was not respected after he lost battles in Spain.
(d) His father, Strabo, was so reviled by the Romans that they desecrated his body after his death.
12. What battle against Macedon, according to Plutarch, that Phocion warned against taking that the Athenians lost under a different general?
(a) The battle of Delphi.
(b) The battle for Euboea.
(c) The battle at Chaeronea.
(d) The battle of Persia.
13. What did Plutarch claim was the final indication that Pompey had fallen out of Sylla's favor?
(a) Sylla attempted to have Pompey imprisoned.
(b) Sylla dispatched Pompey to Spain to quell rebellions.
(c) Sylla did not include Pompey in his will.
(d) Sylla defeated Pompey in battle as he was returning from conquests in Europe.
14. In what sort of family does Plutarch claim Sertorius was raised?
(a) A ruling class family.
(b) A poor laboring family.
(c) A military family.
(d) A noble family.
15. What did Plutarch report to be the result of Cato's management of the exchequer?
(a) Cato reduced taxes, but the senate was preoccupied with using the treasury for political favors.
(b) Cato served only briefly because of the corrupt expectations of the political system.
(c) Cato was inundated with dealing with corruption and faced down opposition.
(d) Cato filled it with treasure and made it appear the state might be rich without oppressing the people.
Short Answer Questions
1. What came of Rome after Crassus died, according to Plutarch?
2. Who was the Persian King that Plutarch reported Alexander defeated on his expedition to India?
3. Who does Plutarch report protected Cleomenes while he was in exile?
4. Plutarch compares Sertorius to Philip, Antigonus, and Hannibal for his aggression, strategy, and what one other commonality?
5. How did Plutarch compare Sertorius and Eumenes in their views of war?
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)