|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What five qualities does Plutarch claim that Sertorius possessed in greater qualities than the other generals to whom Plutarch compared him?
(a) Ferocity, integrity, honesty, nobility, and courage.
(b) Bravery, wisdom, frugality, humility, and foresightedness.
(c) Contentment, faithfulness, mercy, prudence and judgment.
(d) Nobility, mercy honesty, faithfulness, and humility.
2. With whom did Pompey make war that Plutarch reported eventually led to his death in Egypt?
(a) Pompey led a civil war against Crassus to consolidate the power of the Triumvirate.
(b) Pompey led a civil war against Caesar in an attempt to take Caesar's power.
(c) Pompey led a civil war against Antony after the assassination of Caesar.
(d) Pompey led a civil war against Sertorius to exert Roman control over Western Europe.
3. Plutarch compares Sertorius to Philip, Antigonus, and Hannibal for his aggression, strategy, and what one other commonality?
(a) They each had one eye.
(b) They each lost a hand in battle.
(c) They each had a short leg.
(d) They each came from common families.
4. What does Plutarch report to be the joke that Neoptoleumus, captain of Alexander's lifeguard, told of Eumenes?
(a) That Alexander fought with soldiers, but Eumenes fought with words.
(b) That he had followed Alexander with shield and spear, but Eumenes only with pen and paper.
(c) That other armies train with swords, but Ememes' army trains with parchment.
(d) That Eumemes' battles were always fiercer on paper than they were in the field.
5. Who did Plutarch report to be the father of Agis and Agesilaus?
(a) Zeuxidamus, King of the Lacedaemonians.
(c) Archidamus, king of the Lacedaemonians.
(d) Duris the historian.
6. Who invaded Spartan provinces while Cleomenes was making reforms in Spartan government, according to Plutarch?
(a) Greek General Aratas.
(b) Roman General Pompey.
(c) Persian King Darius.
(d) Macedonian King Philip.
7. What is the first similarity that Plutarch recognized between Sertorius and Eumenes?
(a) They were both banished to foreign lands, but came to be commanders of powerful forces.
(b) That they both came from laboring families but worked up to the Noble class.
(c) That they were both ferocious in battle.
(d) That they were both embraced by the political leaders of their countries.
8. How did Plutarch report that Cato prevented the Roman Senate from naming Caesar the Consul of Rome?
(a) He used his authority to prevent senators from entering the senate.
(b) He kept the motion to make Caesar consul in the committee.
(c) He spent the entire day speaking and prevented the Senate from acting on the motion.
(d) He used his authority to adjust the calendar of the senate.
9. Who does Plutarch report protected Cleomenes while he was in exile?
(a) Phocion of Greece.
(b) Aratus of Sycion.
(c) King Ptolemy of Egypt.
(d) Artaxerxes of Persia.
10. What did Plutarch report of Phocion's temperament?
(a) "...that scarcely was he ever seen by any Athenian either laughing, or in tears."
(b) "He that remonstrates with them (public bodies) on their errors is presumed to be insulting over their misfortunes...."
(c) "...That public bodies are most insulting and contumelious to a good man,...."
(d) "For assuredly there is difference enough among virtues of the same denomination as between the bravery of Alcibiades and that of Eapmindondas,..."
11. What Roman political leader does Plutarch claim was a friend to Cato's family?
12. What did Plutarch report to be Phocion's view of war whenever he was brought into debates with other Greek leaders?
(a) He always advocated drawing the enemy out into the open.
(b) His advice was always for peace and quietness.
(c) He believe a man could have no greater virtue than the desire to face bloody combat.
(d) He thrilled in the adventure of defeating an enemy.
13. In what sort of family does Plutarch claim Sertorius was raised?
(a) A military family.
(b) A ruling class family.
(c) A poor laboring family.
(d) A noble family.
14. What disaster does Plutarch report occurred on the day that Alexander was born that later added to the legend that he was a demi-god?
(a) An earthquake shook the royal palace while Alexander was being born.
(b) Lightning hit the area of the palace where Alexander's mother was giving birth.
(c) A Macedonian fleet survived a horrible storm at sea on the day Alexander was born.
(d) The Temple of Diana burned down and a story was spread that it did so because Diana was attending the birth of Alexander.
15. Who did Phocion advise Alexander to make war against rather than the Athenians, according to Plutarch?
(a) The Romans.
(b) The Indians.
(c) The Persians.
(d) The Spartans.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the master of Rome prior to Caesar's reign make himself an enemy to Caesar, according to Plutarch?
2. What battle against Macedon, according to Plutarch, that Phocion warned against taking that the Athenians lost under a different general?
3. With whom does Plutarch report Agis ruled over the Lacedaemonians?
4. Who does Plutarch report took in Cato and his siblings after they were orphaned, and for what was this person known?
5. What was Caesar's first step, according to Plutarch, when he was informed of Sylla's power being in decline?
This section contains 997 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)