|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what sort of family does Plutarch claim Sertorius was raised?
(a) A poor laboring family.
(b) A noble family.
(c) A military family.
(d) A ruling class family.
2. What was a political hurdle that Plutarch claimed Pompey had to overcome?
(a) His father, Strabo, was so reviled by the Romans that they desecrated his body after his death.
(b) He was a rival to Crassus.
(c) Pompey was not respected after he lost battles in Spain.
(d) He was a rival to Caesar.
3. After his return from Spain, with whom does Plutarch claim Caesar took power over Rome in the Triumvirate?
(a) Brutus and Cassius.
(b) Antony and Octavius.
(c) Crassus and Pompey.
(d) Sylla and Nero.
4. Who did Plutarch claim Agis had imprisoned and hanged?
5. According to Plutarch's report, how did Phocion become general more than 45 times?
(a) He was willing to fight for any kingdom that desired his services.
(b) He was elected to lead the armies by free election.
(c) He subverted the commands of many generals.
(d) He sold his services to many land owners who needed protection.
6. Who does Plutarch report commissioned Caesar to travel to Spain?
(a) Pompey, who knew he needed Caesar's help.
(b) Cato, who saw the value of expanding the empire.
(c) Crassus, who was the richest man in Rome.
(d) Cassius, who desired to remove Caesar's influence from the Senate.
7. What did Plutarch report to be the result of Cato's management of the exchequer?
(a) Cato filled it with treasure and made it appear the state might be rich without oppressing the people.
(b) Cato reduced taxes, but the senate was preoccupied with using the treasury for political favors.
(c) Cato was inundated with dealing with corruption and faced down opposition.
(d) Cato served only briefly because of the corrupt expectations of the political system.
8. Who does Plutarch report to be the master of Rome before Caesar came to power?
9. How did Plutarch claim Agis and Cleomenes incurred the hatred of the rich and powerful?
(a) By inciting the working class to take their property.
(b) By being desirous to restore the noble and just form of government.
(c) By taxing them to support homeless soldiers.
(d) By taking their laborers from them to fight in wars.
10. How did Plutarch describe Cleomenes' personality?
(a) Temperate and moderate in his pleasures, but impetuous and violent in his eagerness to pursue anything which he thought good and just.
(b) Temperate and moderate in leadership, but outgoing and social with friends.
(c) Ambivalent toward justice but fiery in his pursuit of battle.
(d) Violent and impetuous in personal relationships but focused and thoughtful in combat.
11. What did Plutarch report to be Agesilaus' physical deformity?
(a) He had only one eye.
(b) He had a lame hand.
(c) He had one leg shorter than the other.
(d) He was blind.
12. Who is the famous Roman General that Plutarch claims Sertorius outwitted during his exile in Spain?
13. What does Plutarch claim Aristotle provided that he considered, "...a perfect portable treasure of all military virtue and knowledge...."?
(a) Aristotle's maps of important sites in Persia.
(b) Aristotle's personally corrected copy of Homer's Illiads.
(c) Aristotle's writings regarding the proper training and preparation of soldiers.
(d) Aristotle's collection of military histories.
14. How did Plutarch characterize Phocion's speech?
(a) "Never had anyone said so much to so many with so few words."
(b) "Few had ever said as much with a paucity of verbage."
(c) "...That even from his infancy, in his speech, his countenance, and all his childish pastimes, he discovered and inflexible temper,..."
(d) "...full of instruction, abounding in happy maxims and wise thoughts, but admitted no embellishment to its austere and commanding brevity."
15. How did Plutarch compare Sertorius and Eumenes in their views of war?
(a) Both Eumenes and Sertorius loved war.
(b) Both Eumenes hated the death of war, but loved the thrill of strategy.
(c) Eumenes naturally loved war, but Sertorius esteemed peace and tranquility.
(d) Both Eumenes and Sertorius esteemed peace and tranquility.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the Persian King that Plutarch reported Alexander defeated on his expedition to India?
2. What question, according to Plutarch, did Cato ask his guardian, Sarpedon, as he watched executions that were ordered by the Roman political leader?
3. What does Plutarch report to be the joke that Neoptoleumus, captain of Alexander's lifeguard, told of Eumenes?
4. What is the first similarity that Plutarch recognized between Sertorius and Eumenes?
5. How was Pompey acquitted of embezzlement that Plutarch reported was accused against his father after he died?
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)