|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Dion, Marcus Brutus and The Comparison of Dion and Brutus.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Plutarch suggest that Dion was banished from Syracuse by the supporters of Dionysisus' son, Dionysisus II?
(a) They feared that he was plotting to take Dionysius II's throne.
(b) They feared that he would rise above them in power.
(c) They feared the influence he was having against the Dionysius II use of tyrrany.
(d) They feared he would have them killed.
2. What are the character qualities Plutarch attributes to Cato from infancy?
(a) He showed great sensitivity to women and plebes.
(b) He had an inflexible temper, resolute in purpose, and not easily provoked to anger.
(c) He had an influential rhetorical style that easily impressed audiences.
(d) He had an uncommon ability to retain knowledge.
3. Where does Plutarch claim that Demosthenes was when he committed suicide to avoid capture by the Macedonians?
(a) On his way to the public baths.
(b) A temple in Calauria.
(c) In the Athenian Assembly.
(d) In his home in Athens.
4. What did Plutarch claim that Caius had to overcome before he was elected to tribune?
(a) His fear that the animosity for his brother still existed.
(b) False charges that he had been defiant to his authorities as a quaestor, that he had excited insurrections among allies, and had been involved in conspiracies.
(c) The hold that landowners had over the senate.
(d) The unwillingness of the senate to release lands that were under its authority.
5. There were 12 Roman Caesar's. Which one is Plutarch chronicling?
(a) Octavious Caesar.
(b) Caesar Augustus.
(c) The first Caesar, Gaius Julius Caesar.
(d) Tiberius Caesar.
Short Answer Questions
1. What battle against Macedon, according to Plutarch, that Phocion warned against taking that the Athenians lost under a different general?
2. How does Plutarch explain public anger both Dion and Brutus received for their stands against Dionysius II and Caesar respectively?
3. After Dion drove Donysius II from Syracuse, what does Plutarch claim came of his attempt to form a government?
4. According to Plutarch, how did Caesar begin his rise to power over Rome?
5. What question, according to Plutarch, did Cato ask his guardian, Sarpedon, as he watched executions that were ordered by the Roman political leader?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)