|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Demosthenes, Cicero and The Comparison of Demosthenes and Cicero.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Plutarch, who authored laws in Lacedaemonia that caused land that was once subject to inheritance within families to be taken into a few wealthy hands?
2. Who invaded Spartan provinces while Cleomenes was making reforms in Spartan government, according to Plutarch?
(a) Macedonian King Philip.
(b) Greek General Aratas.
(c) Roman General Pompey.
(d) Persian King Darius.
3. What did Plutarch report to be Agesilaus' physical deformity?
(a) He had only one eye.
(b) He was blind.
(c) He had one leg shorter than the other.
(d) He had a lame hand.
4. How did Plutarch report Caesar lost his position as Dictator?
(a) The Roman Senate voted to exile Caesar for his many wars.
(b) He was assassinated by a conspiracy led by Cassius and Marcus Brutus.
(c) An insurrection by soldiers stationed in Germany.
(d) He was challenged to war by Ptolemy, which Caesar lost.
5. How did Plutarch characterize the differences in the changes in government "The Roman Brothers" and "The Spartans" sought to achieve?
(a) "The Roman Brothers" sought to place all power in a king, but "The Spartans" sought democracy.
(b) "The Roman Brothers" worked to restore the principles of the Republic, whereas "The Spartans" attempted to rid Sparta of its Greek democratic influence.
(c) "The Roman Brothers" aimed at settling cities, mending highways, and recovering public lands whereas "The Spartans" sought to restore their city to its ancient state.
(d) "The Roman Brothers" sought to restore Rome to its ancient Republic, whereas "The Spartans" sought internal improvements.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Plutarch claim that Caius had to overcome before he was elected to tribune?
2. What did Plutarch report to be Phocion's view of war whenever he was brought into debates with other Greek leaders?
3. What subject does Plutarch report Sertorius mastered as a youth?
4. Why did Plutarch consider Agesilaus a better general than Pompey?
5. What does Plutarch report to be Phocion's retort when Athens began to celebrate the death of Philip of Macedon?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)