|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Agis and Cleomenes.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the separation of Alexander from Philip affect his reign over Philip's empire, according to Plutarch?
(a) Alexander rejected all of Philip's military tactics and found new generals.
(b) Alexander moved the capital of Macedon to Athens.
(c) Alexander chose to spread Greek culture through his captured lands rather than Macedonian culture.
(d) Alexander purged his government of all officials that were named by his father.
2. What does Plutarch claim Caesar said when he heard of Cato's suicide?
(a) "I come not to bury Cato, but to praise him."
(b) "Cato, I grudge your death, as you have grudged me the preservation of your life."
(c) "You're a greater man than I, Cato."
(d) "My greatest enemy has been vanquished and now I can rule supreme."
3. Who does Plutarch report ruled Rome in a Triumvirate while Cato served in the Senate?
(a) Brutus, Octavius, and Antony.
(b) Sertorius, Brutus, and Cassius.
(c) Caesar, Pompey, and Crassus.
(d) Tiberius, Cicero, and Caius.
4. What did Plutarch report to be Phocion's view of war whenever he was brought into debates with other Greek leaders?
(a) He believe a man could have no greater virtue than the desire to face bloody combat.
(b) He thrilled in the adventure of defeating an enemy.
(c) His advice was always for peace and quietness.
(d) He always advocated drawing the enemy out into the open.
5. Where does Plutarch report Alexander died?
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Plutarch describe Cleomenes' personality?
2. What does Plutarch claim Caesar chose to do while Sylla's power reached its peak?
3. What is the first similarity that Plutarch recognized between Sertorius and Eumenes?
4. What victory of Phocion over the Macedonians did Plutarch report as being that which earned the admiration of Philip, King of Macedon?
5. What did Plutarch report to be the difference between how the island allies of Athens treated other arriving Athenian admirals compared to their reception of Phocion?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)