|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Cato the Younger.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. There were 12 Roman Caesar's. Which one is Plutarch chronicling?
(a) The first Caesar, Gaius Julius Caesar.
(b) Caesar Augustus.
(c) Tiberius Caesar.
(d) Octavious Caesar.
2. How was Pompey acquitted of embezzlement that Plutarch reported was accused against his father after he died?
(a) Pompey set us his own slave as having stolen the funds.
(b) Pompey traced the thefts to a freed slave of his father's, named Alexander.
(c) Pompey pledged his loyalty to Sylla.
(d) Pompey proved his father was in Spain governing the Roman province when the money had disappeared.
3. What is the first similarity that Plutarch recognized between Sertorius and Eumenes?
(a) That they both came from laboring families but worked up to the Noble class.
(b) That they were both embraced by the political leaders of their countries.
(c) That they were both ferocious in battle.
(d) They were both banished to foreign lands, but came to be commanders of powerful forces.
4. What subject does Plutarch report Sertorius mastered as a youth?
5. What did Plutarch report to be the difference between how the island allies of Athens treated other arriving Athenian admirals compared to their reception of Phocion?
(a) Other admirals were treated as an enemy suspect, but Phocion was greeted with private boats and barges with streamers and garlands.
(b) Other admirals were greeted with private boats and barges with streamers and garlands, but Phocion was treated as an enemy suspect.
(c) Islands were opened very freely to other admirals, but they feared Phocion's plundering ways.
(d) Other admirals were treated with ambivalence, but they regarded Phocion with tremendous fear.
Short Answer Questions
1. What disaster does Plutarch report occurred on the day that Alexander was born that later added to the legend that he was a demi-god?
2. How does Plutarch claim the birth order of Agis and Agesilaus affected their lives?
3. Who were they, and what were the nationalities of Alexander's parents, according to Plutarch?
4. How did Plutarch compare Sertorius and Eumenes in their views of war?
5. What did Plutarch report of Phocion's temperament?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)