|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Caesar.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Plutarch claim the birth order of Agis and Agesilaus affected their lives?
(a) Agis, the older, was trained in military matters, but Agesilaus was trained in agricultural arts.
(b) Agis, the older, was educated to be king, and Agesilaus was given a common education.
(c) Agis, the older, was the favorite of the father, but Agesilaus was the favorite of their mother.
(d) Agis, the older, was given the inheritance of the king, but Agesilaus was given the authority over a province.
2. Who did Plutarch report to be the father of Agis and Agesilaus?
(a) Zeuxidamus, King of the Lacedaemonians.
(b) Archidamus, king of the Lacedaemonians.
(d) Duris the historian.
3. What five qualities does Plutarch claim that Sertorius possessed in greater qualities than the other generals to whom Plutarch compared him?
(a) Ferocity, integrity, honesty, nobility, and courage.
(b) Nobility, mercy honesty, faithfulness, and humility.
(c) Bravery, wisdom, frugality, humility, and foresightedness.
(d) Contentment, faithfulness, mercy, prudence and judgment.
4. How was Pompey acquitted of embezzlement that Plutarch reported was accused against his father after he died?
(a) Pompey set us his own slave as having stolen the funds.
(b) Pompey proved his father was in Spain governing the Roman province when the money had disappeared.
(c) Pompey pledged his loyalty to Sylla.
(d) Pompey traced the thefts to a freed slave of his father's, named Alexander.
5. How did Plutarch compare Sertorius and Eumenes in their views of war?
(a) Both Eumenes and Sertorius esteemed peace and tranquility.
(b) Eumenes naturally loved war, but Sertorius esteemed peace and tranquility.
(c) Both Eumenes hated the death of war, but loved the thrill of strategy.
(d) Both Eumenes and Sertorius loved war.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Caesar's first step, according to Plutarch, when he was informed of Sylla's power being in decline?
2. There were 12 Roman Caesar's. Which one is Plutarch chronicling?
3. Plutarch compares Sertorius to Philip, Antigonus, and Hannibal for his aggression, strategy, and what one other commonality?
4. What is a major difference between Sertorius and Eumenes that Plutarch recognized?
5. How did the separation of Alexander from Philip affect his reign over Philip's empire, according to Plutarch?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)