|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Alexander.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Plutarch report Alexander died?
2. How old was Alexander when Plutarch claims he took the Macedonian throne after Philip's death?
3. What is a major difference between Sertorius and Eumenes that Plutarch recognized?
(a) That Sertorius was a learned captain, but Eumenes gained all of his knowledge from battle.
(b) Sertorius was well read, but Eumenes was illiterate.
(c) Sertorius' soldiers yielded to him freely, whereas Eumenes won a contested office by proving his superiority.
(d) That Sertorious had the support of the government, but Eumenes was in rebellion against the government.
4. How did Plutarch compare Agesilaus and Pompey in their treatment of the men who supported their rise to power?
(a) Agesilaus placed Lysander in an important province to honor his help whereas Pompey began making political connections so he could escape the influence of Sylla.
(b) Pompey remained loyal to Sylla even through the years Sylla had withdrawn his favor, but Agesilaus cast off Lysander with reproach after he rose to power on Lysander's misinterpretation of prophesy.
(c) Both Agesilaus and Pompey remained loyal to those who helped their careers.
(d) Both Agesilaus and Pompey betrayed those who helped them through their careers.
5. Who did Plutarch report to be the father of Agis and Agesilaus?
(a) Zeuxidamus, King of the Lacedaemonians.
(b) Duris the historian.
(c) Archidamus, king of the Lacedaemonians.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Plutarch claim Philip believed that Alexander was a demi-god?
2. How did Plutarch compare Sertorius and Eumenes in their views of war?
3. How far to the East did Plutarch claim Alexander spread his empire?
4. Plutarch compares Sertorius to Philip, Antigonus, and Hannibal for his aggression, strategy, and what one other commonality?
5. How was Pompey acquitted of embezzlement that Plutarch reported was accused against his father after he died?
This section contains 467 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)