|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Aratus.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the master of Rome prior to Caesar's reign make himself an enemy to Caesar, according to Plutarch?
(a) Cato warned the Senate of the ambitions of Caesar.
(b) Cassius conspired with Brutus to remove Caesar from contention for power.
(c) Crassus allied himself with Pompey in the Roman Senate to force Caesar into a triumvirate.
(d) Sylla wanted Caesar to put his wife away because her father, Cinna, was the ruler of Rome priort to Sylla.
2. Who does Plutarch report commissioned Caesar to travel to Spain?
(a) Pompey, who knew he needed Caesar's help.
(b) Cato, who saw the value of expanding the empire.
(c) Cassius, who desired to remove Caesar's influence from the Senate.
(d) Crassus, who was the richest man in Rome.
3. Which one of the four being compared does Plutarch report had no great action worthy of a commander?
4. In what sort of activity did Eumenes get the attention of Philip of Macedon, according to Plutarch?
(a) Delivering speeches in his school.
(b) Working as a servant in Philip's palace.
(c) Youth matches in Cardia.
(d) Breaking horses at a stable.
5. How did Tiberius finally push his land reform law through the Senate, according to Plutarch?
(a) He incited the homeless soldiers to storm the senate and forse it to support the law.
(b) He used his rhetorical skills to influence the senate to support his land reform law.
(c) He imposed an edict preventing all magistrates from performing their functions until the law was passed.
(d) He influenced the praetorian guard to enforce the law in spite of it not passing the senate.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Plutarch claim was the final indication that Pompey had fallen out of Sylla's favor?
2. What was the most notable sign that Plutarch suggests that proves Caesar had begun to win popular support to challenge Sylla?
3. How did Plutarch characterize the differences in the changes in government "The Roman Brothers" and "The Spartans" sought to achieve?
4. What did Plutarch report to be Agesilaus' physical deformity?
5. Why did Plutarch claim that Tiberius was beaten to death on the Senate Floor?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)