|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Comparison of Tiberius and Caius Gracchus with Agis and Cleomenes.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With whom did Pompey ally himself to overcome the reputation of his father, and who did Plutarch report they oppose in a civil conflict for power over Rome?
(a) Pompey allied himself with Caesar in an attempt to overthrow Sylla.
(b) Pompey allied himself with Crassus to overthrow Caesar.
(c) Pompey allied himself with Metellus to overthrow Sertorius' rebellions in Spain.
(d) Pompey allied himself with a very popular general named Sylla and they united their armies to oppose the tyrant, Carbo.
2. What does Plutarch report to be the condition of Lacedaemonia when Agis and his partner began their reign?
(a) Lacedaemonia had risen to become the most powerful of Spartan cities.
(b) Lacedaemonia had become little more than a crossroad for commerce to more industrious cities.
(c) It was taken by avarice, a base spirit, luxury, effeminacy and had fallen from her former virtue and repute.
(d) It was beaten down by wars with citizens who had lost hope of recovery.
3. Who invaded Spartan provinces while Cleomenes was making reforms in Spartan government, according to Plutarch?
(a) Persian King Darius.
(b) Greek General Aratas.
(c) Macedonian King Philip.
(d) Roman General Pompey.
4. According to Plutarch, how did Cleomenes become King of the Spartans?
(a) He became King after the death of Leonidas.
(b) He became King after Lysander used a false prophesy to discredit Leotychides.
(c) He became King after defeating Agesilaus in battle.
(d) He became king from family succssion from Agis.
5. From whom did Phocion learn of the military during his youth, according to Plutarch?
(a) Philip, the Macedonian.
(b) Sertorius, the Roman.
(c) Eumenes, the Spartan.
(d) Chabrias, the General.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Plutarch claim Agis had imprisoned and hanged?
2. To whose death did Plutarch compare the death of Phocion?
3. What did Plutarch report to be the differences between Rome and Sparta at the time "The Roman Brothers" and "The Spartans" had their influence?
4. What was Caesar's first step, according to Plutarch, when he was informed of Sylla's power being in decline?
5. How does Plutarch compare the climb to power between Agesilaus and Pompey?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)