|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Dion, Marcus Brutus and The Comparison of Dion and Brutus.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Plutarch report to be the master of Rome before Caesar came to power?
2. Plutarch's tone in the profile of Aratus changes from his other reports. Why is this?
(a) Plutarch declares Aratus to be his most favored figure.
(b) It was written directly to a descendant of Aratus named Polycrates.
(c) Plutarch was commissioned by Aratus' decendants to write the history.
(d) Plutarch is a decendant of Aratus.
3. How does Plutarch explain public anger both Dion and Brutus received for their stands against Dionysius II and Caesar respectively?
(a) The public was angry at Dion for leaving Syracuse after he overthrew Dionysius II, but it was angry at Brutus for not staying in Rome.
(b) The public was angry at Dion for trying to take Dionysius II's throne, but it was angry at Brutus for turning away from the vacant throne.
(c) The public was angry at Dion for having allowed Dionysius II to escape, but the public was angry with Brutus for killing a popular leader.
(d) The public was angry at Dion for opposing an effective leader, but it was angry at Brutus for not having a trial on Caesar's crimes.
4. For what does Plutarch claim Marcus Brutus is known?
(a) For his role in the civil war with Pompey.
(b) For being the, "Noblest Roman of them all."
(c) For being the illegitimate son of Caesar.
(d) Acting as one of the assassins of Caesar.
5. What does Plutarch claim Caesar chose to do while Sylla's power reached its peak?
(a) He left Rome in exile.
(b) He gathered forces to challenge Sylla with a civil war.
(c) He contended with Caesar's power in the Senate.
(d) He joined a conspiracy with Brutus and Cassius to assassinate Sylla.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the difference Plutarch cites between the leaders that Dion and Brutus overthrew?
2. After Dion drove Donysius II from Syracuse, what does Plutarch claim came of his attempt to form a government?
3. What did Plutarch claim to be the main issue facing Tiberius after he was elected tribune of the people?
4. Who did wealthy land owners influence from the Senate to oppose Tiberius' efforts at land reform, according to Plutarch?
5. Why did Plutarch claim that Tiberius was beaten to death on the Senate Floor?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)