|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Dion, Marcus Brutus and The Comparison of Dion and Brutus.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did Plutarch report to be the first Roman official to try to take up the issue that confronted Tiberius after his election as tribune?
(d) Caius Laelius.
2. How did Tiberius finally push his land reform law through the Senate, according to Plutarch?
(a) He used his rhetorical skills to influence the senate to support his land reform law.
(b) He influenced the praetorian guard to enforce the law in spite of it not passing the senate.
(c) He incited the homeless soldiers to storm the senate and forse it to support the law.
(d) He imposed an edict preventing all magistrates from performing their functions until the law was passed.
3. What did Plutarch claim that Caius had to overcome before he was elected to tribune?
(a) His fear that the animosity for his brother still existed.
(b) False charges that he had been defiant to his authorities as a quaestor, that he had excited insurrections among allies, and had been involved in conspiracies.
(c) The hold that landowners had over the senate.
(d) The unwillingness of the senate to release lands that were under its authority.
4. According to Plutarch, why was the issue still alive for Tiberius in spite of previous efforts to address the issue?
(a) Cicero's sarcastic rhetorical style alienated more senators than it won over.
(b) Caius Laelius folded under political pressure from men of authority.
(c) Crassus' well known animosity for Caesar put his causes on the losing side in the senate.
(d) Scipio could not overcome the political influence of senators who had sold their votes to wealthy landowners.
5. What did Plutarch claim to be the main issue facing Tiberius after he was elected tribune of the people?
(a) Internal improvements to help Rome transport goods in and out of the cities of the empire.
(b) Land reform to restore property taken by the wealthy class while common landowners were fighting wars.
(c) Reforming the laws to even justice between the wealthy and the poor.
(d) Raising revenues through taxes to support Rome's many wars and Empire.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Plutarch claim that Tiberius was beaten to death on the Senate Floor?
2. What does Plutarch consider to be the difference in the military achievements between Dion and Brutus?
3. According to Plutarch, how did Caesar begin his rise to power over Rome?
4. What does Plutarch claim caused Caesar and Pompey to become rivals for power?
5. What was Caesar's first step, according to Plutarch, when he was informed of Sylla's power being in decline?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)