|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Dion, Marcus Brutus and The Comparison of Dion and Brutus.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Caesar's first step, according to Plutarch, when he was informed of Sylla's power being in decline?
(a) He joined with Crassus and Pompey to form a triumvirate to overpower Sylla.
(b) He began rallying support in the senate to have Sylla removed from power.
(c) He returned to his home realizing that Sylla no longer had the support to eliminate his enemies.
(d) He attended the school of a famous rhetorician named Apollonius.
2. How did the master of Rome prior to Caesar's reign make himself an enemy to Caesar, according to Plutarch?
(a) Cassius conspired with Brutus to remove Caesar from contention for power.
(b) Crassus allied himself with Pompey in the Roman Senate to force Caesar into a triumvirate.
(c) Cato warned the Senate of the ambitions of Caesar.
(d) Sylla wanted Caesar to put his wife away because her father, Cinna, was the ruler of Rome priort to Sylla.
3. Who does Plutarch report commissioned Caesar to travel to Spain?
(a) Cato, who saw the value of expanding the empire.
(b) Pompey, who knew he needed Caesar's help.
(c) Crassus, who was the richest man in Rome.
(d) Cassius, who desired to remove Caesar's influence from the Senate.
4. Who does Plutarch report to be the master of Rome before Caesar came to power?
5. What was the most notable sign that Plutarch suggests that proves Caesar had begun to win popular support to challenge Sylla?
(a) When he took possession of a field owned by Sylla.
(b) When he allied himself with Sylla's enemies in the Senate.
(c) When he challenged Sylla's hold on power directly in the Senate.
(d) When he praised an enemy of Sylla's, named Marius, during the eulogy of Marius' wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Brutus join in the successful assassination attempt against Caesar, according to Plutarch?
2. There were 12 Roman Caesar's. Which one is Plutarch chronicling?
3. What preceded Caesar's election by the Senate to Dictator, according to Plutarch?
4. How did Plutarch report Caesar lost his position as Dictator?
5. What did Plutarch claim came of Caius after his death?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)