|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes to find John in Chapter 3?
2. In the past, what had Gordon confided to John was his greatest fear?
3. Why doesn't John want to tell Beth of his discoveries about the Gordons' finances when she calls in Chapter 6?
4. What documents does John take from the office to study in the living room, in Chapter 5?
5. Who gives John a ride home from the crime scene in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Elizabeth tries to ask John about what he knows about the case in Chapter 5, what does he ask her about instead?
2. Describe the appearance of Donna Alba.
3. What problem does John Corey see with doing nothing and boredom?
4. How does Dr. Chen explain her job to John?
5. Why does John think that the person Detective Penrose is going to meet in Chapter 3 is really from the FBI or CIA rather than the Department of Agriculture?
6. What rule does John have for himself about getting involved in a case?
7. Who is Kenneth Gibbs and what does he look like?
8. Describe the appearance of Dr. Zollner.
9. Describe Uncle Harry's house as it is described in Chapter 1.
10. Why doesn't John answer the questions from George Foster about his relationship with the Gordons in Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the importance of setting within Plum Island. Make sure to discuss at least three different settings and how the descriptions of those settings are integral in the development of the themes and characters.
Essay Topic 2
In Plum Island, John Corey serves as an archetypal hero character. Using specific examples from the text, identify how DeMille connotes the Hero archetype. Is it an effective connotation? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the point of view utilized by DeMille in Plum Island. As this was a deliberate choice, discuss why DeMille may have selected the view he did and how the view employed was effective in the development of important themes. Make sure and specific textual examples to support your assertions.
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)