|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Dr. Zollner's secretary?
2. According to Dr. Chen, what virus were the Gordons researching?
3. How did Max meet the Gordons?
4. Who does John give the Gordons' navigation book to?
5. Why is Mr. Foster somewhat upset at Max in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why were Tom and Judy Gordon sometimes mistaken for celebrities?
2. What hobby had the Gordons taken up on Plum Island that involved Paul Stevens?
3. What is interesting to John and Beth about the type of weapons Stevens and his security forces carry on Plum Island?
4. Describe the appearance of Dr. Zollner.
5. What quality of Max's does John admire after he hears him on the seven o'clock news in Chapter 7?
6. Describe the appearance of Ted Nash when John is introduced to him in Chapter 4.
7. What problem does John Corey see with doing nothing and boredom?
8. What did the Gordons tell Margaret Wiley they planned to do with the land they purchased from her?
9. Describe the Olde Towne Taverne.
10. What advice does John give to Sally Hines about the crime scene?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several romantic couples depicted in Plum Island including: Tom and Judy Gordon, John and Emma, John and Beth, Tobin and Emma, etc. Selecting at least two different couples, compare and contrast these relationships. Point out similarities and differences and what those details infer about the characters in those relationships.
Essay Topic 2
One of the literary tools employed by DeMille in Plum Island is the use of paradox and irony. Give examples of where DeMille has employed verbal or situational irony and discuss in detail how this use of irony has furthered the plot, developed characters, or strengthened a theme.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the dramatic structure of Plum Island. Use textual evidence to designate the expository, rising action, the climax, falling action and the denouement.
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)