|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't John keep a notebook?
(a) He's too impatient to jot things down.
(b) He always loses them.
(c) He is worried it might get stolen.
(d) He can't read his own handwriting sometimes.
2. In Chapter 36, what reason does Tobin give for murdering the Gordons?
(a) They had attempted to cheat him out of the treasure.
(b) They had blackmailed him.
(c) They had decided to give the treasure to the government.
(d) He just decided he didn't want to share the treasure.
3. How did Captain Kidd die?
(a) He drowned at sea.
(b) He was executed by the French.
(c) He was murdered by his wife.
(d) No one knows how he died.
4. What does John do to avoid getting shot by Stevens in Chapter 37?
(a) He throws sand in Stevens' eyes.
(b) He charges Stevens.
(c) He distracts Stevens with conversation and runs away.
(d) He jumps back in the hole with Tobin.
5. Where does John go to research the buried treasure in Chapter 21?
(a) He searches the internet from an internet cafe.
(b) He goes to the police station.
(c) The historical society.
(d) The library.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Edgar decide to go talk to the Gordons on the night of their murder?
2. Why does Beth suspect Stevens?
3. How many messages does John have on his answering machine, in Chapter 15?
4. As Beth and John get closer to Plum Island in Chapter 34, what do they see that alerts them that someone is watching them?
5. What lie does John tell Mrs. Wiley about Beth in Chapter 17?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Beth discuss with Dom in Chapter 30?
2. What bad news does Beth bring to John on Monday morning?
3. Describe Fredric Tobin's winery that John visits in Chapter 16.
4. When Beth and John do a quick inventory of wounds in Chapter 35, what wounds have they both sustained?
5. When John attempts to kiss Beth in Chapter 15, how does she respond?
6. What injuries does John inflict upon Tobin in Chapter 36?
7. How does John trick Stevens into coming back to his house in Connecticut?
8. What does Emma claim that Tobin told her about the Gordons?
9. What information does the letter from the Gordons contain in Chapter 37?
10. Why is Tobin's housekeeper so frightened when Beth and John arrive?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)