|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't John want to tell Beth of his discoveries about the Gordons' finances when she calls in Chapter 6?
(a) He doesn't trust her.
(b) He's worried there is a phone tap.
(c) He can't remember all of the details because he is so tired.
(d) He wants to study the information on his own before he shares it.
2. What did the early settlers of the sixteen and seventeen hundreds use Plum Island for?
(a) As a military stronghold.
(b) As a place to grow plums.
(c) For mining precious minerals.
(d) Pasture for their animals.
3. What is the name of the fingerprinting specialist working the Gordon crime scene?
(a) Lucy Harris.
(b) David Cardon.
(c) Sally Hines.
(d) Richard Munns.
4. Who does Ted Nash quote when the clock strikes twelve in Chapter 4?
(d) Mark Twain.
5. Why did John decide to become a detective?
(a) He was offered detective training by his cousin, an officer, who encouraged him to become one.
(b) He loved detective novels as a child.
(c) It bothers him that there are things he doesn't know.
(d) He was recruited in college after he scored highly on a test.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Paul Stevens earn his degree?
2. What is the name of the ferry that John takes to Plum Island?
3. According to Mr. Foster, how many people would be killed by a coffee can full of anthrax being vaporized into the air in Manhattan?
4. What type of things do they study on Plum Island, according to Ted Nash?
5. According to Dr. Zollner, what animal quarantine complex is like the Ellis Island for the animal kingdom?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe John's appearance as he sits on the porch at the opening of the novel.
2. What did the Gordons tell Margaret Wiley they planned to do with the land they purchased from her?
3. Why doesn't John answer the questions from George Foster about his relationship with the Gordons in Chapter 4?
4. When John sees the pig dying of African swine fever in Chapter 12, what does it remind him of?
5. Who is Kenneth Gibbs and what does he look like?
6. What hobby had the Gordons taken up on Plum Island that involved Paul Stevens?
7. Why does Max want to bring John on as a consultant in the Gordon case?
8. What quality of Max's does John admire after he hears him on the seven o'clock news in Chapter 7?
9. What advice does John give to Sally Hines about the crime scene?
10. Why does John decide to meet Detective Penrose to talk with the man from the Department of Agriculture?
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)