|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Dom, John's partner, leaves him a message in Chapter 24. Who does Dom say would like to talk with John?
(a) His ex-wife.
(b) The mayor of New York.
(c) The anti-terrorist divison of the FBI.
(d) The CIA.
2. What show was Agnes watching the night Tom and Judy were murdered?
(a) The Montel Williams Show.
(b) Days of our lives.
(d) Little House on the Prairie.
3. According to John in Chapter 30, when does he think Tobin decided to kill the Gordons?
(a) From the onset of their plan.
(b) John has no theory on this.
(c) He didn't decide to kill them until the day he did.
(d) After they had moved the treasure.
4. When John returns home in Chapter 28, how many messages does he have?
5. What do they discover on the Gordons' land they purchased from Margaret Wiley?
(a) The aluminum cooler.
(b) A small shack.
(c) A manmade cave.
(d) A time capsule with papers in it.
6. What does John eat for breakfast in Chapter 16?
(a) He doesn't eat breakfast.
(b) Donuts and coffee.
(c) Lettuce and mustard.
(d) Butter and carrots.
7. What happens to Tobin at the end of the novel?
(a) He has escaped and no one knows his whereabouts.
(b) He is in prison awaiting his trial.
(c) He has been executed for his murder of the Gordons.
(d) He dies from complications from his fight with John.
8. How did the Murphys know how much the Gordons paid in rent?
(a) Tom had told Edgar what they paid.
(b) They had received their bill by mistake once in the mail.
(c) They know the owner of the house.
(d) They were their landlords.
9. According to Beth, how fast does the wind have to be for a storm to be classified as a hurricane?
(a) Sixty knots.
(b) Forty knots.
(c) Twenty-two knots.
(d) One hundred knots.
10. Why doesn't John keep a notebook?
(a) He's too impatient to jot things down.
(b) He always loses them.
(c) He can't read his own handwriting sometimes.
(d) He is worried it might get stolen.
11. What food does John find at the fire station in Chapter 35?
(a) Chocolate bars.
12. How long does it take for Beth and John to get from the vineyard to Tobin's house at Founders Landing?
(a) 1 hour.
(b) 2 hours.
(c) 20 minutes.
(d) 45 minutes.
13. When they land upon Plum Island in Chapter 34, how many rounds of ammunition does John have?
(a) He is empty.
14. After the storm passes, what do Beth and John do with Tobin's boats?
(a) They sink the beach boat and take the larger one.
(b) They sink both of the boats.
(c) They blow up the boats.
(d) They abandon the boats at sea.
15. When John tells Emma about the number he found in the Gordons' book, where does she recognize the number from?
(a) A letter from Captain Kidd to his wife.
(b) As a navigational code from Fredric's boat.
(c) As a combination to the historical society vault.
(d) A brochure she saw about Plum Island.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 36, what reason does Tobin give for murdering the Gordons?
2. What does John show to the Murphys to identify Tobin as a man that frequently visited the Gordons?
3. After John knocks Stevens out a second time in Chapter 27, what does he do to him?
4. When Tobin tries to ram their boat, what does Beth do?
5. When John finds the abandoned ambulance in Chapter 35, what does he do?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)