|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Dom, John's partner, leaves him a message in Chapter 24. Who does Dom say would like to talk with John?
(a) The CIA.
(b) His ex-wife.
(c) The mayor of New York.
(d) The anti-terrorist divison of the FBI.
2. Why isn't Beth able to interview Donna Alba?
(a) She has lost her voice.
(b) She has been killed.
(c) She is on vacation.
(d) She refuses to cooperate.
3. On what date does John tell Emma his divorce becomes final?
(a) He isn't sure.
(b) It became final the previous Christmas.
(c) October 1.
(d) November 18.
4. When John leaves the hole in Chapter 37, what does he find?
(a) He is on the edge of a cliff.
(b) The hole is surrounded by a four-foot barbed wire fence.
(c) Steven is pointing a gun at him.
(d) The local police are outside waiting for him.
5. What is wrong with the Murphy's key to the Gordon house?
(a) It is missing.
(b) It no longer fits the locks, since they were changed.
(c) Nothing is wrong with their key.
(d) It has broken in half.
6. How does John feel when he realizes he won't make his mandatory meeting due to the weather?
(a) He is annoyed.
(b) He is very happy.
(c) He is disappointed.
(d) He doesn't care.
7. What was Emma's first thought about the cause of the Gordons' murders?
(a) She thought it related to a burglary.
(b) She thought it was a jealous former lover of Tom.
(c) She thought it was committed by Tobin.
(d) She thought it had to do with their jobs.
8. What social event does John go to at the beginning of Chapter 28?
(a) Tobin's party for the historical society.
(b) He has dinner with Margaret Wiley.
(c) On a lunch date with Emma.
(d) On a date with Beth.
9. What does Beth plan to say to Tobin when she calls him in Chapter 30?
(a) She plans to set up a time for an interview.
(b) She plans to ask him questions about the winery.
(c) She plans to thank him for the party.
(d) She plans to tell him he is a suspect.
10. What does John do to avoid getting shot by Stevens in Chapter 37?
(a) He throws sand in Stevens' eyes.
(b) He jumps back in the hole with Tobin.
(c) He distracts Stevens with conversation and runs away.
(d) He charges Stevens.
11. Where does John eat lunch in Chapter 27?
(a) With Beth at the police station.
(b) With Emma at her florist shop.
(c) On the Gordons' bluff.
(d) At his house.
12. After the storm passes, what do Beth and John do with Tobin's boats?
(a) They sink the beach boat and take the larger one.
(b) They abandon the boats at sea.
(c) They sink both of the boats.
(d) They blow up the boats.
13. In Chapter 36, what reason does Tobin give for murdering the Gordons?
(a) He just decided he didn't want to share the treasure.
(b) They had decided to give the treasure to the government.
(c) They had blackmailed him.
(d) They had attempted to cheat him out of the treasure.
14. How did the Murphys know how much the Gordons paid in rent?
(a) They know the owner of the house.
(b) Tom had told Edgar what they paid.
(c) They had received their bill by mistake once in the mail.
(d) They were their landlords.
15. How does Emma get a ride back into town in Chapter 24?
(a) She calls a friend to pick her up.
(b) Beth gives her a ride.
(c) John gives her a ride.
(d) She walks.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does John estimate it takes Emma to get dressed in Chapter 19?
2. When John breaks in the door to Tobin's tower on the vineyard, how does Beth respond?
3. What does Margaret Wiley's face remind John of?
4. When John tells Emma about the number he found in the Gordons' book, where does she recognize the number from?
5. Whose appearance in his kitchen surprises him the following day?
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)