|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does John eat for breakfast in Chapter 16?
(a) Butter and carrots.
(b) Donuts and coffee.
(c) He doesn't eat breakfast.
(d) Lettuce and mustard.
2. Why does Beth advise John to leave immediately for Manhattan?
(a) She doesn't want him to lose his job in New York.
(b) She thinks he needs to see a doctor about his injuries.
(c) Due to the hurricane, travel may be difficult.
(d) She is worried that Tobin is looking for him.
3. When John breaks in the door to Tobin's tower on the vineyard, how does Beth respond?
(a) She agrees to help him and keeps a lookout for Tobin.
(b) She pulls her gun on him and demands that he stop.
(c) She walks away and doesn't indicate her opinion.
(d) She asks him not to go any further.
4. How did Captain Kidd die?
(a) No one knows how he died.
(b) He was executed by the French.
(c) He drowned at sea.
(d) He was murdered by his wife.
5. Where does John eat lunch in Chapter 27?
(a) At his house.
(b) On the Gordons' bluff.
(c) With Emma at her florist shop.
(d) With Beth at the police station.
6. What item of clothing are both John and Beth missing when they arrive at the island in Chapter 34?
(c) He is missing his shirt and she is missing her shorts.
7. How long does John estimate it takes Emma to get dressed in Chapter 19?
(a) Twenty minutes.
(b) Four seconds.
(c) Five minutes.
(d) An hour.
8. Why does Beth suspect Stevens?
(a) He looks like a killer.
(b) She received an anonymous tip.
(c) She found some of his prints at the Gordons' house.
(d) His interviews are inconsistent.
9. Where did John first meet the Gordons?
(a) At the Olde Towne Taverne.
(b) At a mutual friend's house.
(c) On the ferry.
(d) A bar at Claudio's Restaurant.
10. Why isn't Beth able to interview Donna Alba?
(a) She has been killed.
(b) She is on vacation.
(c) She has lost her voice.
(d) She refuses to cooperate.
11. When John returns to New York, what item does he find waiting for him at his house?
(a) A love letter from Emma.
(b) A small part of the treasure sent by the Gordons to him.
(c) A newspaper with a full story about his involvement.
(d) A letter from the Gordons.
12. Where does John drive to first, in Chapter 19?
(a) The Gordons' lot.
(b) The Plum Island Ferry.
(c) The Gordon home.
(d) Another local winery.
13. What wine does Tobin recommend to John in Chapter 16?
(a) The house red wine.
(b) A new white wine.
(c) A '95 Merlot.
(d) A '92 Chambray.
14. When Tobin fires his rifle in Chapter 34, what does he hit?
(a) John's right arm.
(b) The windshield of the boat.
(c) Beth's hat.
(d) He misses them completely.
15. When John leaves the hole in Chapter 37, what does he find?
(a) The hole is surrounded by a four-foot barbed wire fence.
(b) He is on the edge of a cliff.
(c) The local police are outside waiting for him.
(d) Steven is pointing a gun at him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Edgar decide to go talk to the Gordons on the night of their murder?
2. What do they discover on the Gordons' land they purchased from Margaret Wiley?
3. Which two local friends of the Gordons owned .45 guns?
4. What is the name of Tobin's current girlfriend?
5. What lie does John tell Mrs. Wiley about Beth?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)