|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the British Prime Minister that Darwin feels is to blame for the British problems?
2. Who does Charleson call when Susan threatens suicide?
3. Who arrives late for the dinner party?
4. What does the Frenchman say about the English?
5. What does Darwin tell Brock almost guarantees a promotion in the diplomatic service?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the taboo of homosexuality in the 1940s and 1950s. Compare and contrast homosexuality during the 1940s and 1950s to homosexuality today. What major changes have occurred, both positive and negative?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of married women in the 1950s. Conversely, what is the role of unmarried women in the 1950s? What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? Do they have any freedoms that 21st century women do not have?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Susan. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
This section contains 220 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)