|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mick say that Susan enjoyed about having sex with him?
2. Who does Susan choose to father her child?
3. In what year does Act 1, Scene 2 take place?
4. What does Alice comment on regarding Brock?
5. Whose sudden appearance makes Susan mad?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author show that the imminent relationship between Susan and Brock ends up being more significant for Susan than just the thrill she is looking for all the time?
2. How does Lazar make his entrance in the play?
3. Why is Susan's exaggerated mention of the Suez Canal incident so significant?
4. How does the author use the embalming symbolism to relate it to Susan?
5. Under what circumstances do Susan and Lazar meet?
6. What does Susan share with Lazar about her life as it is now?
7. Why does Susan use her gun on Mick at the end of the scene?
8. How does the author contrast Alice and Susan?
9. How do the priest's comments about the brevity of life really describe Susan?
10. What is the foreshadowing in the appearance of the Frenchman?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hare uses more than one instance of irony in the play. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the play and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Alice. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the symbolism of the gun that Susan cherishes all throughout the play. What does it signify? What role does it play in the drama? Why did the author choose this item?
This section contains 1,617 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)