|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Alice bring with her into the room?
2. What does Alice comment on regarding Brock?
3. What was especially annoying for Susan while having sex in Mick's bedroom?
4. What does Alice offer Susan?
5. In what month does Act 1, Scene 3 take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. Susan is with Lazar with whom she experienced the pinnacle of excitement in her life yet she is now eager to leave him too.
2. What is the scope of the conversation between Brock and Darwin regarding Susan's mental health?
3. What type of advice does Susan give Alice?
4. Who is Alice and how did she and Susan meet?
5. What is the setting for Act 2, Scene 12?
6. Why is Susan's exaggerated mention of the Suez Canal incident so significant?
7. What does Alice ask Susan as Susan packs?
8. Explain how the author ends the play on a hopeful note for Susan.
9. How does Act 1, Scene 3 begin?
10. What is Susan's thinking about having a child without any emotional ties?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1PLENTY is set in the 1940s and 1940s during a time of World War II and its accompanying social, political and cultural recovery. What impact did these factors have on the author? What impact did these factors have on his work, especially the play, PLENTY? Explain.
Essay Topic 2Create a brief character study of Susan. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
Essay Topic 3Explain the role of married women in the 1950s. Conversely, what is the role of unmarried women in the 1950s? What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? Do they have any freedoms that 21st century women do not have?
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)