|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Susan say that she and Tony both missed?
2. Susan tells Mick about advertising ______________.
3. Who is the author of this play?
4. What industry is Susan thinking of getting into?
5. How does Lazar try to comfort Susan?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the setting for Act 2, Scene 10?
2. What is the foreshadowing in the appearance of the Frenchman?
3. How does Mick agree to Susan's idea of getting pregnant?
4. How does the author contrast Alice and Susan?
5. Why does Lazar not give Susan his real name before he leaves her?
6. How does the author use the symbol of the barrage balloon to show Susan's boredom?
7. What is the symbolism of Lamar's reference to sound waves?
8. Describe Brock's reaction when he finally loses patience with Susan.
9. How does the author use the radio announcer as a contrast to Susan?
10. How does Act 1, Scene 3 begin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The longing for excitement and fulfillment takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Alice. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
Essay Topic 3
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Susan, Alice and Brock. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, socialization, etc.
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)