|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Lazar recall seeing Susan before?
2. What is Brock's job in Act 1, Scene 3?
3. What does Susan call young men?
4. What is Alice doing at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 6?
5. What is the setting for Act 1, Scene 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Susan's exaggerated mention of the Suez Canal incident so significant?
2. What is the purpose of the meeting with Susan, Darwin and Brock?
3. How does Lazar make his entrance in the play?
4. How does the author end the scene so that the first scene of the play now makes sense?
5. How does Act 1, Scene 5 begin?
6. What is the setting for Act 2, Scene 10?
7. What is the setting for Act 2, Scene 11 and which two characters open the scene?
8. What is the main source of tension in this scene?
9. Who is Charleson and what is Susan's purpose for meeting with him?
10. How does Mick agree to Susan's idea of getting pregnant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
PLENTY is set in the 1940s and 1940s during a time of World War II and its accompanying social, political and cultural recovery. What impact did these factors have on the author? What impact did these factors have on his work, especially the play, PLENTY? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Susan, Alice and Brock. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, socialization, etc.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
This section contains 1,634 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)