|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Mick want to see Susan?
2. Who is the female character in the play as it begins?
3. Who is the young man who joins Susan?
4. What does Susan hint that Brock can bring back for her from Morocco?
5. What is the name of this play?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the setting for Act 1, Scene 4?
2. Explain how this scene finally explains the source of Susan's vast emptiness?
3. What does Alice ask Susan as Susan packs?
4. Explain the significance of Mick's reference to a "mackerel" sky.
5. What is the setting for Act 2, Scene 10?
6. What is the double meaning of Lazar's statement that he recognizes Susan from somewhere?
7. What is Susan's thinking about having a child without any emotional ties?
8. What is the main source of tension in this scene?
9. How does Act 1, Scene 3 begin?
10. What comments does Alice make regarding England and Brock when she enters the room?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Alice. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Lazar and Brock. What are their roles within the story? What is the trust factor with women? What are the reasons Susan cares for both of these men who are so dramatically different?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of married women in the 1950s. Conversely, what is the role of unmarried women in the 1950s? What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? Do they have any freedoms that 21st century women do not have?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)