|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year does Act 1, Scene 2 take place?
2. Where does Brock ask Susan to go?
3. What character is sleeping as the play begins?
4. What is the setting for Act 1, Scene 6?
5. What was Tony's job during the war?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author show that the imminent relationship between Susan and Brock ends up being more significant for Susan than just the thrill she is looking for all the time?
2. How does Act 1, Scene 5 begin?
3. What does Susan tell Brock about her relationship with Tony?
4. Under what circumstances do Susan and Lazar meet?
5. Why is it possible that Susan has come to see Charleson not for Brock's benefit but to add some excitement to her life?
6. How does Lazar make his entrance in the play?
7. How does the author end the scene so that the first scene of the play now makes sense?
8. What is the setting for Act 1, Scene 1 and who are the first two characters to appear?
9. Describe Brock's reaction when he finally loses patience with Susan.
10. What does Susan's gun symbolize in this scene?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the symbolism of the gun that Susan cherishes all throughout the play. What does it signify? What role does it play in the drama? Why did the author choose this item?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Lazar and Brock. What are their roles within the story? What is the trust factor with women? What are the reasons Susan cares for both of these men who are so dramatically different?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Alice. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)