|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Brock ask Susan to go?
2. Susan tells Mick about advertising ______________.
3. According to Brock, Darwin is more concerned with ____________ than anything else.
4. What does Brock ask Susan as she eats his omelet?
5. What does Susan tell Lazar her job is?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Susan use her gun on Mick at the end of the scene?
2. What does Alice ask Susan as Susan packs?
3. What does Susan share with Lazar about her life as it is now?
4. How does Act 1, Scene 7 begin?
5. What is the main source of tension in this scene?
6. Why is Susan's exaggerated mention of the Suez Canal incident so significant?
7. What is the symbolism of Lamar's reference to sound waves?
8. How does Mick agree to Susan's idea of getting pregnant?
9. How does the author end the scene so that the first scene of the play now makes sense?
10. How does the author use the symbol of the barrage balloon to show Susan's boredom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Brock. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the play's title, PLENTY? Cite two examples that support why the author chose the title he did. Can you suggest a better title based on your perspective of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of married women in the 1950s. Conversely, what is the role of unmarried women in the 1950s? What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? Do they have any freedoms that 21st century women do not have?
This section contains 1,006 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)