|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Alice what does Brock say there will be in the future?
2. How long had Susan and Mick been trying to conceive a child?
3. What is Darwin doing at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 3?
4. What character is sleeping as the play begins?
5. What is being broadcast on the radio as the scene begins?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Alice and how did she and Susan meet?
2. What is Susan's thinking about having a child without any emotional ties?
3. How does Act 1, Scene 7 begin?
4. What does Susan's gun symbolize in this scene?
5. What is the main source of tension in this scene?
6. What is the double meaning of Lazar's statement that he recognizes Susan from somewhere?
7. Susan is with Lazar with whom she experienced the pinnacle of excitement in her life yet she is now eager to leave him too.
8. Explain how the author ends the play on a hopeful note for Susan.
9. Why does Susan use her gun on Mick at the end of the scene?
10. Why is it ironic that Susan makes derogatory comments about Darwin's outspokenness?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Susan. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the overall setting for the play. Why does Hare use the various settings he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
The longing for excitement and fulfillment takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)