|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mick say that Susan enjoyed about having sex with him?
2. What is being broadcast on the radio as the scene begins?
3. Who appears in the scene and tries to disentangle from a parachute?
4. What is Alice doing at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 6?
5. Mick is making a street deal for __________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author end the scene so that the first scene of the play now makes sense?
2. How does Lazar make his entrance in the play?
3. How does the author use the symbol of the barrage balloon to show Susan's boredom?
4. Who is Charleson and what is Susan's purpose for meeting with him?
5. What is the setting for Act 1, Scene 1 and who are the first two characters to appear?
6. How do the priest's comments about the brevity of life really describe Susan?
7. What is the symbolism of Lamar's reference to sound waves?
8. Under what circumstances do Susan and Lazar meet?
9. What type of advice does Susan give Alice?
10. What is the setting for Act 1, Scene 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the overall setting for the play. Why does Hare use the various settings he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the taboo of homosexuality in the 1940s and 1950s. Compare and contrast homosexuality during the 1940s and 1950s to homosexuality today. What major changes have occurred, both positive and negative?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the symbolism of the gun that Susan cherishes all throughout the play. What does it signify? What role does it play in the drama? Why did the author choose this item?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)