|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Susan offer Alice?
2. What is Alice doing at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 6?
3. Susan tells Mick about advertising ______________.
4. What is the setting for Act 1, Scene 4?
5. Why does Susan want to get pregnant?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Brock's reaction when he finally loses patience with Susan.
2. What is the symbolism of the blood on Susan's hand?
3. What does Susan's gun symbolize in this scene?
4. What is the setting for Act 2, Scene 12?
5. Why does Lazar not give Susan his real name before he leaves her?
6. Under what circumstances do Susan and Lazar meet?
7. What is the scope of the conversation between Brock and Darwin regarding Susan's mental health?
8. Explain how this scene shows how much Susan needs excitement in her life and what she will do to get it.
9. What is the setting for Act 2, Scene 11 and which two characters open the scene?
10. What is the significance of the word "plenty" as Susan mentions the party food?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the symbolism of the gun that Susan cherishes all throughout the play. What does it signify? What role does it play in the drama? Why did the author choose this item?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of married women in the 1950s. Conversely, what is the role of unmarried women in the 1950s? What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? Do they have any freedoms that 21st century women do not have?
Essay Topic 3
PLENTY is set in the 1940s and 1940s during a time of World War II and its accompanying social, political and cultural recovery. What impact did these factors have on the author? What impact did these factors have on his work, especially the play, PLENTY? Explain.
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)