Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What character is sleeping as the play begins?
2. What does Mick do when Susan shoots the gun?
3. Who does Susan ask Brock to call?
4. In what city does Act 1, Scene 3 take place?
5. What does Alice offer Susan?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how the author uses the concept of plenty as Susan both rejects it and searches for it.
2. What is Susan's thinking about having a child without any emotional ties?
3. Name at least two examples of foreshadowing in this scene?
4. What is the symbolism of Lamar's reference to sound waves?
5. What does Susan tell Brock about her relationship with Tony?
6. How does Lazar make his entrance in the play?
7. Why is this scene so significant for Susan?
8. What does Susan share with Lazar about her life as it is now?
9. What comments does Alice make regarding England and Brock when she enters the room?
10. Why is it ironic that Susan makes derogatory comments about Darwin's outspokenness?
Essay Topic 1
PLENTY is set in the 1940s and 1940s during a time of World War II and its accompanying social, political and cultural recovery. What impact did these factors have on the author? What impact did these factors have on his work, especially the play, PLENTY? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the overall setting for the play. Why does Hare use the various settings he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
The longing for excitement and fulfillment takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)