|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year does Act 1, Scene 5 take place?
2. What does Susan call young men?
3. Who does Susan choose to father her child?
4. What is Alice doing at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 6?
5. What was Tony's job during the war?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Alice and how did she and Susan meet?
2. What is the setting for Act 1, Scene 1 and who are the first two characters to appear?
3. What is the setting for Act 1, Scene 4?
4. What is the scope of the conversation between Brock and Darwin regarding Susan's mental health?
5. Explain how the author ends the play on a hopeful note for Susan.
6. How does the author contrast Alice and Susan?
7. How does the author use the symbol of the barrage balloon to show Susan's boredom?
8. What type of advice does Susan give Alice?
9. How does the author use the radio announcer as a contrast to Susan?
10. What does Susan's gun symbolize in this scene?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of good vs. evil. Identify at least two characters who embody both good and evil and then cite an example to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Mick. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 3
The longing for excitement and fulfillment takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)