|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many children does Susan have?
2. What is the setting for Act 1, Scene 6?
3. What does Susan offer Alice?
4. Where does Lazar recall seeing Susan before?
5. Where does Brock ask Susan to go?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Brock's reaction when he finally loses patience with Susan.
2. Why is this scene so significant for Susan?
3. Under what circumstances do Susan and Lazar meet?
4. Name at least two examples of foreshadowing in this scene?
5. What is the scope of Susan and Mick's relationship?
6. What is the foreshadowing in the appearance of the Frenchman?
7. Why does Susan use her gun on Mick at the end of the scene?
8. Why does Lazar not give Susan his real name before he leaves her?
9. What comments does Alice make regarding England and Brock when she enters the room?
10. Why is Susan's exaggerated mention of the Suez Canal incident so significant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the symbolism of the gun that Susan cherishes all throughout the play. What does it signify? What role does it play in the drama? Why did the author choose this item?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of married women in the 1950s. Conversely, what is the role of unmarried women in the 1950s? What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? Do they have any freedoms that 21st century women do not have?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Lazar and Brock. What are their roles within the story? What is the trust factor with women? What are the reasons Susan cares for both of these men who are so dramatically different?
This section contains 1,040 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)