|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What topic does Susan question Darwin about regarding her husband?
2. Brock has made arrangements to __________________.
3. How does Lazar try to comfort Susan?
4. What is Alice's job?
5. What is Susan using for her advertising?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Susan say about Brock's condition?
2. Why is Susan's exaggerated mention of the Suez Canal incident so significant?
3. What is the setting for Act 1, Scene 4?
4. Name at least two examples of foreshadowing in this scene?
5. What is the main source of tension in this scene?
6. Describe the radio program that begins Act 2, Scene 9.
7. How does the author contrast Alice and Susan?
8. What is the double meaning of Lazar's statement that he recognizes Susan from somewhere?
9. What does Susan's gun symbolize in this scene?
10. How does the author show that the imminent relationship between Susan and Brock ends up being more significant for Susan than just the thrill she is looking for all the time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Alice. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Lazar and Brock. What are their roles within the story? What is the trust factor with women? What are the reasons Susan cares for both of these men who are so dramatically different?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
This section contains 985 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)