|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long had Susan and Mick been trying to conceive a child?
2. Why did Mick want to see Susan?
3. What does Susan hint that Brock can bring back for her from Morocco?
4. What is Alice doing at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 6?
5. What was Tony's job during the war?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the situation in which the author gets the meaning for the book's title, PLENTY?
2. Why is Susan's exaggerated mention of the Suez Canal incident so significant?
3. What does Susan share with Lazar about her life as it is now?
4. How does Act 2, Scene 8 begin?
5. Who is Mick and how does he enter the scene?
6. How does Act 1, Scene 3 begin?
7. What does Susan say about Brock's condition?
8. What does the radio interview foreshadow in the story?
9. Who is Alice and how did she and Susan meet?
10. How does the author contrast Alice and Susan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the play's title, PLENTY? Cite two examples that support why the author chose the title he did. Can you suggest a better title based on your perspective of the story?
Essay Topic 2
PLENTY is set in the 1940s and 1940s during a time of World War II and its accompanying social, political and cultural recovery. What impact did these factors have on the author? What impact did these factors have on his work, especially the play, PLENTY? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
PLENTY is a classic story of the search for fulfillment. What does that classification entail? Why does this play fit into this category? Explain.
This section contains 1,015 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)