|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what country does the play begin?
2. What is they product that Susan advertises?
3. What industry is Susan thinking of getting into?
4. How many children does Susan have?
5. What is the product in Susan's advertising project?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Mick and how does he enter the scene?
2. Explain how this scene further establishes the frustrations Susan continues to feel about her life.
3. What is the purpose of the meeting with Susan, Darwin and Brock?
4. How does Act 1, Scene 6 begin?
5. Why does Lazar not give Susan his real name before he leaves her?
6. Why does Susan use her gun on Mick at the end of the scene?
7. How does the author use the embalming symbolism to relate it to Susan?
8. Why is it possible that Susan has come to see Charleson not for Brock's benefit but to add some excitement to her life?
9. How does the author use the radio announcer as a contrast to Susan?
10. What is the setting for Act 1, Scene 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In more than one instance in the play, a "mackerel sky" is cited. Explain what a mackerel sky is. Then cite the examples of how it is used in the play. What is the significance of a mackerel sky to the characters?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the play's title, PLENTY? Cite two examples that support why the author chose the title he did. Can you suggest a better title based on your perspective of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Alice. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)