|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Harry say this to Tom?
(a) Tom does not understand Anna.
(b) Tom deserves some hope in his life.
(c) Tom is unkind.
(d) Tom is too conventional for her.
2. When does the play begin?
(a) At five o'clock in the evening.
(b) At nine o'clock in the evening.
(c) At nine o'clock in the morning.
(d) At five o'clock in the morning.
3. Why is Harry at Anna's flat?
(a) He has come for some sympathy over the end of a love affair.
(b) He has come to visit her.
(c) He has come to see if she is alright.
(d) He has come to make sure she has filled her prescriptions.
4. What does Mary do when the doorbell rings again?
(a) She leaves the room.
(b) She ignores it.
(c) She tells Harry to answer it.
(d) She tells Tom to answer it.
5. What does this person implore Anna to do?
(a) Explain why they are no longer friends.
(b) Explain why she no longer wants to be his wife.
(c) Explain why she no longer wants to marry him.
(d) Explain why they are no longer neighbors.
6. Where does this play take place?
(a) The New York City home of Janet Jackson.
(b) The country home of Lucinda Jackson.
(c) The suburban home of Camilla Jackson.
(d) The London home of Mary Jackson.
7. Why else is Anna distraught?
(a) She realizes that no one really cares for her.
(b) She realizes that Janet will hurt Dave.
(c) She realizes that any long-term commitment from Dave is not possible either.
(d) She realizes she has two men in love with her.
8. What does Janet announce?
(a) She is going to become pregnant with Dave's child.
(b) She is breaking up with Dave.
(c) She is five months pregnant.
(d) She does not love Dave.
9. Who is Harry Paine?
(a) Anna's neighbor.
(b) Anna's boyfriend.
(c) A friend of Anna's.
(d) Anna's doctor.
10. What does Anna think Dave will do?
(a) Get married and cheat on his wife.
(b) Understand her.
(c) Find a woman he loves.
(d) Move away from London.
11. What does Anna tell Tom regarding his last comment about her future?
(a) She prefers to be single.
(b) She prefers an authentic relationship with herself to one where she compromises in order to be married.
(c) She would prefer to be married but cannot find a decent man.
(d) She prefers her friendship with Mary to anyone else.
12. What does this play have to do with women?
(a) It is about the friendships that women have with one another.
(b) It is about the fight for equality for all women.
(c) It is about the love women feel for men.
(d) It is about the expectations and challenges faced by women who choose less conventional roles than those inherent in marriage.
13. How is Tom correct in his comment to Harry?
(a) Harry should go see his wife.
(b) Harry is in love with Anna.
(c) Harry is a fool.
(d) Harry has a very conventional job and lifestyle.
14. What is the connection between Anna and this person?
(a) They were engaged until very recently.
(b) They are good friends.
(c) They were married until very recently.
(d) They are neighbors.
15. What does Anna's cool demeanor do to Dave?
(a) It annoys him.
(b) It does not bother him.
(c) It slightly irritates him.
(d) It infuriates him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Mary Jackson arrive?
2. When does the story take place?
3. What happens after Dave finally wears down Anna's resistance?
4. Why is Anna repelled?
5. What does Anna predict about Dave?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)