|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which work features Harry Morgan?
2. According to Morrison, whose work is free of agenda and sensitivity?
3. What is the name of the author Morrison opens up with in Chapter 3?
4. In the Henry Morgan book, who is portrayed as being the most violent?
5. Why does Morrison state that slavery enriches the country's possibilities?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Morrison deem Poe the most important early American writer?
2. What role do black men play in Hemingway's works?
3. According to Morrison, what does American literature represent a commentary of?
4. What is Morrison's deliberation entirely about?
5. How does Morrison describe the Africanist persona?
6. Describe one major theme Morrison lists being consistent with American literature.
7. The common claim that white America has considered many things without reference to the black population includes what concepts?
8. What is the significance of nurses in Hemingway's work?
9. Why is the act of ignoring race in literature a racist act?
10. Why do Africanist characters serve as surrogates and enablers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the purpose of Morrison writing this book? What message did Morrison want to convey? What type of action did Morrison call for?
Essay Topic 2
How does Bernard Bailyn's Voyagers of the West investigate the way European settlers become Americans? What does the character William Dunbar show and represent? What does Morrison think of this work and the character?
Essay Topic 3
Morrison describes the world as being genderized, sexualized, and racialized. Explain the effect these characteristics of the world have on Morrison as a writer as well as on people in general. Give three specific examples of how the world is genderized, sexualized, and racialized, one for each characteristic. Explain the consequences of living in a world with these qualities.
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)