|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Morrison's work require her to consider?
2. What does Morrison argue for extending?
3. Who gave the lectures that Morrison bases Playing in the Dark on?
4. What does Morrison describe Sapphira and the Slave Girl as being an example of?
5. Who is Sapphira jealous of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What can happen if we learn about the way Africanism functions in the literary imagination?
2. What does it mean when Morrison says that her vulnerability lies in romanticizing blackness?
3. Describe the character Sapphira and her motives.
4. Describe the dichotomies Morrison presents as being necessary for black people to fulfill.
5. What is the book Playing in the Dark based on?
6. What does Toni Morrison think about Marie Cardinal's book?
7. How does Morrison describe the world that we live in today, and what effect does it have on her as a writer?
8. What does Morrison say Sapphira and the Slave Girl is an example of?
9. What risk does Morrison accept in discussing studies of racism?
10. What type of language does Morrison struggle with?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Morrison points out the distinguishing features of non-Americans are slave status, social status, and color. Give three examples of these features in action throughout history.
Essay Topic 2
According to Morrison, what do most studies of racism focus on? What does Morrison wish they would examine? Why? Do you agree with her? Identify and give examples of the terms racial hierarchy, racial exclusion, racial vulnerability, and racial availability.
Essay Topic 3
How does Hemingway portray race in his work? How is Hemingway distant from African-Americans in his work? What does this tell the reader? How does Hemingway show the difference between males and females? How does he relate this to race?
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)