|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Morrison wish studies of racism would focus on?
2. For Morrison, when a writer is challenged and activities are more difficult, what else do they become?
3. Which word best describes Sapphira?
4. Possessed, where does Cardinal run?
5. Who wrote The Words to Say It?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Morrison's intentions in studying Africanism?
2. Which authors does Morrison describe as using black references in their work?
3. What does Morrison believe studies of racism focus on?
4. According to Morrison, what does a black woman represent to literature but not to herself?
5. What does Morrison hope that studies of racism will begin to examine?
6. What implication stems from the fact that imagination produces work?
7. What does Morrison say about Africanism worldwide?
8. What does Toni Morrison think about Marie Cardinal's book?
9. What can happen if we learn about the way Africanism functions in the literary imagination?
10. What are the prevalent themes in Sapphira and the Slave Girl?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why did Morrison decide to read The Words to Say It? What effect did the book have on Morrison? What questions does Morrison have for Marie Cardinal and why are these significant?
Essay Topic 2
The duties of a persona include exorcism, reification, and mirroring. Identify and describe one example of each term in terms of Africanism presence in literature.
Essay Topic 3
Why is it significant to note that Africanist literature has a presence all over the world and not just in the United States? What are the consequences of this fact? Why is it important for Morrison to note that her goal is not to force a Eurocentric world into becoming an Afrocentric one?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)