|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Dunbar able to justify?
(a) Starving his slaves.
(b) Killing a man.
(c) Leaving Europe.
(d) Giving his slaves lashes.
2. According to Morrison, whose work is free of agenda and sensitivity?
3. In one of Hemingway's works, what does the character named Catherine aspire to be for her husband?
(a) Little girl.
(b) African girl.
(c) Good lover.
4. In the Henry Morgan book, where does a shooting occur?
(a) In a school.
(b) In a park.
(c) Outside a hospital.
(d) Outside a cafe.
5. In American literature, what does Morrison believe artists transfer internal conflicts to?
(a) Blank darkness.
(b) Literary strengths.
(c) Literary blackness.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color does Catherine dye her hair?
2. Who wrote the quote from Penelogical Studies: Southern Exposure?
3. What has the image of the bound and suppressed darkness become objectified as?
4. In Hemingway's work, what do black nurse-men often alter?
5. In the book featuring Henry Morgan, what is stressed?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Morrison, what does Poe's work show?
2. How does early America distinguish itself by pressing toward a future of freedom?
3. Describe Catherine's desires in The Garden of Eden. What does this point out?
4. What is Morrison's deliberation entirely about?
5. How does Huckleberry Finn critique class and race?
6. Describe one major theme Morrison lists being consistent with American literature.
7. What does William Carlos Williams's Adam describe?
8. How does Hemingway make the serviceability of the Africanist presence more pronounced?
9. The common claim that white America has considered many things without reference to the black population includes what concepts?
10. Describe the unmanageable slips throughout Poe's work.
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)