|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Catherine colors her hair, how does her husband respond?
(a) He is ambivalent.
(b) He does not notice.
(c) He is excited.
(d) He is angry.
2. What color does Catherine dye her hair?
3. What are the two characters who discuss sex in Hemingway's work?
(a) Morgan and Henrietta.
(b) Harry and Marie.
(c) Harold and Manny.
(d) Hanna and Marshall.
4. According to Dunbar, from what do his slaves want freedom from?
(a) His plantation.
(b) The country.
(c) The state.
5. According to Morrison, what is Hemingway's work distant from?
(d) Blue collar workers.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Harry Morgan's crew, what is the name of the black man?
2. In Voyagers of the West, what are the settlers becoming?
3. In the book featuring Henry Morgan, what is stressed?
4. Who does Morrison consider to be the most important early American writer in regard to the concept of Africanism in literature?
5. In Hemingway's work, what are black men most similar to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Morrison suggest that Dunbar's finer sensibilities have been dulled?
2. How does William Dunbar justify giving his slaves lashes?
3. What characteristics does Morrison describe as being the distinguishing features of non-Americans?
4. How does Morrison describe the Africanist persona?
5. Why does Morrison deem Poe the most important early American writer?
6. According to Morrison, who responds best to culture and why?
7. What does William Carlos Williams's Adam describe?
8. Describe the unmanageable slips throughout Poe's work.
9. The common claim that white America has considered many things without reference to the black population includes what concepts?
10. What is the significance of nurses in Hemingway's work?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)