|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What group of America's population offers itself up as a surrogate, in Morrison's point of view?
2. Africanism acquiring a metaphysical necessity is not the same as losing its _______?
(a) Metaphorical necessity.
(c) Ideological utility.
(d) Literary blackness.
3. In Harry Morgan's crew, what is the name of the black man?
4. Morrison's project is an effort to avert the critical gaze from the racial object to the racial ______?
5. Where does William Dunbar claim land?
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the two characters who discuss sex in Hemingway's work?
2. What rises up when the character dies in The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym?
3. In which novel does Morrison discuss a character named Catherine?
4. What country is William Dunbar from?
5. In the Henry Morgan book, where does a shooting occur?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hemingway make the serviceability of the Africanist presence more pronounced?
2. Describe Catherine's desires in The Garden of Eden. What does this point out?
3. Why is the act of ignoring race in literature a racist act?
4. Why do Africanist characters serve as surrogates and enablers?
5. How does early America distinguish itself by pressing toward a future of freedom?
6. How does William Dunbar justify giving his slaves lashes?
7. According to Morrison, when is mankind bereft?
8. From Morrison's point of view, how do writers see whiteness?
9. What role do black men play in Hemingway's works?
10. What characteristics does Morrison describe as being the distinguishing features of non-Americans?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)