|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the opposite of restrained in the dichotomy present in Morrison's book?
2. Where does Morrison's vulnerability lie?
(a) Caring for racial superiority.
(b) She is a woman.
(c) She is biased.
(d) Romanticizing blackness.
3. Possessed, where does Cardinal run?
(a) Into the street.
(b) Into a concert hall.
(c) Into the park.
(d) Into a theater.
4. According to Morrison, what do reading and writing require?
5. Morrison says that what item reveals itself differently to each writer?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the author of the quote from Preludes IV?
2. According to Morrison, what demands are put on black people?
3. Who is the author of Sapphira and the Slave Girl?
4. What does Morrison consider the consequences of?
5. Who does Sapphira plot to rape her slave?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Morrison hope that studies of racism will begin to examine?
2. What can happen if we learn about the way Africanism functions in the literary imagination?
3. What are the prevalent themes in Sapphira and the Slave Girl?
4. How does Morrison describe references to the novel Sapphira and the Slave Girl?
5. According to Morrison, what does a black woman represent to literature but not to herself?
6. Describe the file that Morrison begins to keep.
7. Which authors does Morrison describe as using black references in their work?
8. Until recently, what did Morrison assume about all readers of American fiction?
9. Describe Morrison's statement that the subject of the dream is the dreamer.
10. After reading the preface, what can the reader expect Morrison to discuss?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)