|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Morrison wonder most about Cardinal?
(a) When she felt she had to panic.
(b) Why she went to a Louis Armstrong concert.
(c) When she knew she was in trouble.
(d) Why she wrote a book.
2. Which of the following words does Morrison use to describe writers?
3. What does Morrison propose to investigate?
(a) Racial bias.
(b) Racial hierarchy.
(c) Racial exclusivity.
(d) Racial superiority.
4. What does Morrison claim is not representative of a black woman for her?
(a) All of the above.
5. Which type of artist does Morrison describe as being the most anarchic?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the dichotomies is shown in the example of a slave woman being kind to her mistress's children but her own mother is not good to her?
2. What does Morrison reflect on the consequences of in the preface?
3. Who is the second author Morrison mentions as including black references in his or her work?
4. In the attack on Algeria, what does Cardinal see?
5. What does Morrison not mention the world as being?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Morrison believe studies of racism focus on?
2. What does Morrison say about Africanism worldwide?
3. Describe the file that Morrison begins to keep.
4. What is the most significant question that stems from Morrison reading Cardinal's book?
5. What are the prevalent themes in Sapphira and the Slave Girl?
6. To Morrison, why are reading and writing not extremely distinct for a writer?
7. How does Morrison describe references to the novel Sapphira and the Slave Girl?
8. What type of language does Morrison struggle with?
9. How does Morrison describe the world that we live in today, and what effect does it have on her as a writer?
10. Who does Morrison blame for literary whiteness and blackness?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)