|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Morrison argue for extending?
(a) The study of racism.
(b) The study of African literature.
(c) The study of American literature.
(d) The study of racial interactions.
2. When was a criticism written deeming the term "darky" acceptable?
3. Which of the dichotomies is shown in the example of a slave woman being kind to her mistress's children but her own mother is not good to her?
(a) Angry and resentful.
(b) Sinful but enticing.
(c) Benevolent and wicked.
(d) Pure and restrained.
4. Which type of artist does Morrison describe as being the most anarchic?
5. What does Morrison propose to investigate?
(a) Racial exclusivity.
(b) Racial hierarchy.
(c) Racial superiority.
(d) Racial bias.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the opposite of restrained in the dichotomy present in Morrison's book?
2. How many years back did the presence of African-Americans in the US begin?
3. According to Morrison, what do readers and writers struggle to interpret?
4. Who is Sapphira jealous of?
5. According to Morrison, what demands are put on black people?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the book Playing in the Dark based on?
2. After reading the preface, what can the reader expect Morrison to discuss?
3. Which authors does Morrison describe as using black references in their work?
4. What type of language does Morrison struggle with?
5. Until recently, what did Morrison assume about all readers of American fiction?
6. What are Morrison's intentions in studying Africanism?
7. According to Morrison, what does a black woman represent to literature but not to herself?
8. What is the Byatt quote from Possession about?
9. Who does Morrison blame for literary whiteness and blackness?
10. How does Morrison describe references to the novel Sapphira and the Slave Girl?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)