|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Hemingway's work, what do black nurse-men often alter?
(a) The narrator's romantic relationships.
(b) The narrator's hatred for black people.
(c) The narrator's faith.
(d) The narrator's self-image.
2. What rises up when the character dies in The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym?
(a) White shadows.
(c) Black smoke.
(d) Gray fog.
3. Who wrote Voyagers of the West?
4. According to Morrison, what do writers seem to think whiteness is?
5. What are the two characters who discuss sex in Hemingway's work?
(a) Morgan and Henrietta.
(b) Harold and Manny.
(c) Hanna and Marshall.
(d) Harry and Marie.
6. Why does Morrison state that slavery enriches the country's possibilities?
(a) Polarity of virtue.
(b) Polarity of skin color.
(c) Polarity of personality.
(d) Polarity of talent.
7. Where does William Dunbar claim land?
8. In Hemingway's work, the women with which characteristics are the most desirable?
9. Who wrote the quote from Penelogical Studies: Southern Exposure?
(a) Henry James.
(b) Edgar Allan Poe.
(c) Tori Morrison.
(d) Robert Penn Warren.
10. What do some suggest is a way to evade history?
11. According to Morrison, what represents a commentary on the transformations of racial difference?
(a) African literature.
(c) American literature.
(d) European literature.
12. What type of possibilities does Morrison think slavery enriches in America?
13. What does America's flight from one thing to another identify as an escape from?
(c) Racial pressures.
14. The presence of blacks is inherent and inextricable from the definition of which word?
15. How does Morrison describe early America as distinguishing itself?
(a) Pushing toward a future of freedom.
(b) Pushing toward freedom from racial prejudice.
(c) Pushing toward freedom from Africanism.
(d) Pushing toward better quality literature.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Hemingway's work, a person from which country kills Harry?
2. What is the white image related to the erasure of, according to Morrison?
3. In what year does William Dunbar write about suppression?
4. In Harry Morgan's crew, what is the name of the black man?
5. What color does Catherine dye her hair?
This section contains 351 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)