|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Dunbar able to justify?
(a) Giving his slaves lashes.
(b) Killing a man.
(c) Leaving Europe.
(d) Starving his slaves.
2. In Voyagers of the West, what are the settlers becoming?
3. Which of the following is the first duty of a persona?
4. In Hemingway's work, what do black nurse-men often alter?
(a) The narrator's hatred for black people.
(b) The narrator's self-image.
(c) The narrator's faith.
(d) The narrator's romantic relationships.
5. What is the first role that the Africanist character serves as?
(a) Benevolent figure.
(b) A way to evoke emotion.
(d) Intentional racist target.
6. Which group does Morrison say responds to culture the most?
7. In Hemingway's work, who represents an outlaw of sexuality?
(a) White men.
(b) White women.
(c) Black men.
(d) Black women.
8. Who is the author of The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym?
(a) Henry James.
(b) Edgar Allan Poe.
(c) Willa Cather.
(d) George Bernard Shaw.
9. What does a character in Hemingway's work refer to having sex with black women as?
(a) Angry lions.
(b) Nurse sharks.
(c) Mother hens.
(d) House cats.
10. A common claim is that white America has considered morality and other virtues without reference to which group?
(a) Poor population.
(b) Artist population.
(c) Foreign population.
(d) Black population.
11. What are Dunbar's finer sensibilities dulled by?
(a) Literary whiteness.
(b) European life.
(c) Frontier life.
12. In what year does William Dunbar write about suppression?
13. What group does Dunbar write about the suppression of?
14. What type of writer is Poe?
15. In Harry Morgan's crew, what is the name of the black man?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the book Morrison opens with in Chapter 3?
2. In reference to the opening passage, how does Morrison claim race is used?
3. What is the race of the character in The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym?
4. How does Morrison describe the act of ignoring race?
5. What is the second meditation that Morrison suggests an American group offers itself up as a surrogate for?
This section contains 344 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)