|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What group does Dunbar write about the suppression of?
2. In one of Hemingway's works, what does the character named Catherine aspire to be for her husband?
(a) African girl.
(b) Little girl.
(c) Good lover.
3. What group of America's population offers itself up as a surrogate, in Morrison's point of view?
4. In the novel, what does Catherine want to be?
5. In Harry Morgan's crew, what is the name of the black man?
6. What does a character in Hemingway's work refer to having sex with black women as?
(a) Angry lions.
(b) House cats.
(c) Mother hens.
(d) Nurse sharks.
7. Which of the following is the first duty of a persona?
8. In what year does William Dunbar write about suppression?
9. The serviceability of the Africanist presence is more pronounced when Hemingway describes the relationships between which groups?
(a) Artists and non-artists.
(b) The faith and the faithless.
(c) Males and females.
(d) Blacks and whites.
10. What do some suggest is a way to evade history?
11. In Hemingway's work, a person from which country kills Harry?
(d) South Africa.
12. What rises up when the character dies in The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym?
(b) Gray fog.
(c) White shadows.
(d) Black smoke.
13. When Catherine colors her hair, how does her husband respond?
(a) He is excited.
(b) He is ambivalent.
(c) He does not notice.
(d) He is angry.
14. Which of the following does Morrison claim literature concerns?
(a) Imagination interacting with the world.
(b) Creativity interacting with the world.
(c) Faith interacting with the world.
(d) Indulgence interacting with the world.
15. What is Dunbar able to justify?
(a) Killing a man.
(b) Giving his slaves lashes.
(c) Starving his slaves.
(d) Leaving Europe.
Short Answer Questions
1. In reference to the opening passage, how does Morrison claim race is used?
2. What type of settlers does Voyagers of the West investigate?
3. What does the American group that offers itself up as a surrogate represent a meditation on?
4. What does Morrison describe as being the first feature of a non-American?
5. Who wrote a book about Faulkner?
This section contains 366 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)