|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Catherine's husband?
2. What does a character in Hemingway's work refer to having sex with black women as?
(a) Mother hens.
(b) Angry lions.
(c) House cats.
(d) Nurse sharks.
3. Morrison says that Hemingway's work is more artless and unselfconscious than which writer?
4. Which work features Harry Morgan?
(a) To Have Faith in the Faithless.
(b) To Have and Have Not.
(c) To Feel the World Below.
(d) To Feel Comfortable.
5. In Hemingway's work, a person from which country kills Harry?
(a) South Africa.
6. What does Morrison describe as being the second feature of a non-American?
(a) Financial status.
(b) Social status.
7. In the novel featuring Catherine, what is the social taboo of blackness associated with?
8. How does the character discussing sex in Hemingway's novel think of black women?
(a) Equal to white women.
(b) More like men.
(c) Better than white women.
(d) Less than human.
9. Where does William Dunbar appear after claiming land?
(a) Los Angeles.
(c) New York City.
10. According to Morrison, what highlights freedom?
(b) The Constitution.
(c) Freedom of the press.
11. What does the American group that offers itself up as a surrogate represent a meditation on?
(a) Human freedom.
(d) Racial tension.
12. In The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym, how many days are described?
13. Africanism acquiring a metaphysical necessity is not the same as losing its _______?
(b) Literary blackness.
(c) Metaphorical necessity.
(d) Ideological utility.
14. What is the second meditation that Morrison suggests an American group offers itself up as a surrogate for?
15. What does Morrison describe as the third feature of a non-American?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote Voyagers of the West?
2. In the book featuring Henry Morgan, what is stressed?
3. What is the third duty of a persona?
4. According to Dunbar, from what do his slaves want freedom from?
5. What country is William Dunbar from?
This section contains 335 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)