|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which work features Harry Morgan?
(a) To Have Faith in the Faithless.
(b) To Have and Have Not.
(c) To Feel Comfortable.
(d) To Feel the World Below.
2. Who is the author of The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym?
(a) Willa Cather.
(b) George Bernard Shaw.
(c) Edgar Allan Poe.
(d) Henry James.
3. In what year does William Dunbar write about suppression?
4. What is the race of the character in The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym?
5. How does Morrison describe the act of ignoring race?
(a) Literary whiteness.
6. What position does Morrison take completely?
(a) She is against literary whiteness and blackness.
(b) She does not take a position.
(c) She is for literary whiteness and blackness.
(d) She dislikes American literature.
7. In reference to the opening passage, how does Morrison claim race is used?
8. What does a character in Hemingway's work refer to having sex with black women as?
(a) Angry lions.
(b) House cats.
(c) Mother hens.
(d) Nurse sharks.
9. What rises up when the character dies in The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym?
(a) Black smoke.
(b) White shadows.
(d) Gray fog.
10. Why does Morrison state that slavery enriches the country's possibilities?
(a) Polarity of skin color.
(b) Polarity of personality.
(c) Polarity of virtue.
(d) Polarity of talent.
11. What is the name of the author Morrison opens up with in Chapter 3?
12. In Hemingway's works, what do black nurse-men often articulate?
(a) Narrator's exact emotions.
(b) Narrator's doom.
(c) Narrator's quality.
(d) Narrator's love affairs.
13. According to Morrison, what represents a commentary on the transformations of racial difference?
(a) American literature.
(b) European literature.
(d) African literature.
14. What type of possibilities does Morrison think slavery enriches in America?
15. What is the white image related to the erasure of, according to Morrison?
(a) Africanism in literature.
(b) Black figure.
(c) Literary whiteness.
Short Answer Questions
1. Morrison's project is an effort to avert the critical gaze from the racial object to the racial ______?
2. What does Morrison describe as the third feature of a non-American?
3. How does Morrison describe early America as distinguishing itself?
4. Who wrote a book about Faulkner?
5. What type of settlers does Voyagers of the West investigate?
This section contains 384 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)