|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many pages into The Words to Say It does "the thing" happen?
2. How many lectures is Playing in the Dark based on?
3. What does Morrison claim is not representative of a black woman for her?
(d) All of the above.
4. What is "the Thing"?
(a) Morrison's distaste for Africanist literature.
(b) Louis Armstrong concert.
(c) Classic literature.
(d) Cardinal's illness.
5. In the attack on Algeria, what does Cardinal see?
(a) White slaughter of an Indian mother.
(b) Vengeful slaughter of an innocent.
(c) White slaughter of a white mother.
(d) White slaughter of a black mother.
6. What does Morrison say produces work?
7. According to Morrison, what do reading and writing require?
8. Until recently, what did Morrison assume about all readers of American fiction?
(a) They are white.
(b) They are women.
(c) They are raceless.
(d) They are men.
9. What notion must a writer be aware of when reading and writing?
10. Which word best describes Sapphira?
11. When was a criticism written deeming the term "darky" acceptable?
12. What is Morrison interested in determining about domination?
(a) Where domination comes from.
(b) How domination becomes possible.
(c) How domination spreads.
(d) Who encourages domination.
13. What does Morrison reflect on the consequences of in the preface?
(a) Classic literature.
(b) Contemporary novels.
(c) Jazz music.
(d) Modern music.
14. What two things does Morrison claim not to be extremely distinct for a writer?
(a) Visual art and performance art.
(b) Reading and writing.
(c) Reading and drawing.
(d) Speaking and writing.
15. What is the name of Sapphira's slave?
Short Answer Questions
1. What analogy does Morrison use to describe what studies of racism should focus on?
2. Where does Morrison claim to apply the knowledge in Playing in the Dark?
3. According to Morrison, what does Willa Cather not allow readers to ignore?
4. What is an example of the concept of black figuration?
5. What does Morrison debate the validity of?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)