|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Morrison believe we need to learn about to discover the nature and cause of literary whiteness?
(a) Why we read American fiction.
(b) How Africanism functions.
(c) Why we rely on Africanism in literature.
(d) Who invented Africanism.
2. What does Morrison start a file to document?
(a) Instances of Africanist literature that do not acknowledge racial superiority.
(b) Instances of black people igniting moments of discovery in literature.
(c) Instances of white people causing disturbances in Africanist literature.
(d) Instances of black people being impressed by white people.
3. Where did Cardinal grow up?
(d) United States.
4. What persuaded Morrison to read The Words to Say It?
(a) The cover.
(b) A synopsis.
(c) The title.
(d) The author.
5. In what role does Morrison describe herself as assuming nothing happens?
(b) Black woman.
6. What is Morrison interested in determining about domination?
(a) Who encourages domination.
(b) How domination spreads.
(c) Where domination comes from.
(d) How domination becomes possible.
7. What does Morrison reflect on the consequences of in the preface?
(a) Modern music.
(b) Jazz music.
(c) Classic literature.
(d) Contemporary novels.
8. Which of the dichotomies is shown in the example of a slave woman being kind to her mistress's children but her own mother is not good to her?
(a) Pure and restrained.
(b) Angry and resentful.
(c) Sinful but enticing.
(d) Benevolent and wicked.
9. What does Morrison's work require her to consider?
(a) How gender neutral she can be.
(b) How much further she can extend her study of American literature.
(c) How free she can be.
(d) How racialized she can be.
10. What is the name of Sapphira's slave?
11. Where were the lectures that Playing in the Dark is based on given?
(d) University of Washington.
12. Who is the author of the quote from Preludes IV?
(a) T.S. Eliot.
(b) Virginia Woolf.
(c) John Steinbeck.
(d) William Shakespeare.
13. Who does the main female character in Sapphira and the Slave Girl demand power over?
(b) Her slaves.
14. What is American literature described as being in Playing in the Dark?
(a) A bookshelf.
(b) A melting pot.
(c) A closet.
(d) A treasure trove.
15. Who is the author of What Maisie Knew?
(a) Toni Morrison.
(b) Willa Cather.
(c) Henry James.
(d) Gertrude Stein.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Morrison wonder most about Cardinal?
2. Who is the author of Possession?
3. Who does Morrison attribute as being the most sensitive type of artist?
4. How does Morrison feel about the scholar who deemed the term "darky" acceptable?
5. According to Morrison, what demands are put on black people?
This section contains 452 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)