|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1: Black Matters.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Morrison wonder most about Cardinal?
(a) When she knew she was in trouble.
(b) When she felt she had to panic.
(c) Why she went to a Louis Armstrong concert.
(d) Why she wrote a book.
2. What does Morrison claim that critics do not say about Sapphira and the Slave Girl?
(a) Why it is a failure.
(b) Why it is successful.
(c) Why it was written.
(d) Why people read it.
3. What does Morrison reflect on the consequences of in the preface?
(a) Modern music.
(b) Jazz music.
(c) Contemporary novels.
(d) Classic literature.
4. According to Morrison, what does Willa Cather not allow readers to ignore?
(c) Time period.
5. Possessed, where does Cardinal run?
(a) Into a theater.
(b) Into the park.
(c) Into a concert hall.
(d) Into the street.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is American literature described as being in Playing in the Dark?
2. According to Morrison, what demands are put on black people?
3. What did Cardinal tell her doctor not to keep in his office?
4. Who was criticized by a scholar who deemed the term "darky" acceptable?
5. According to Morrison, what do readers and writers struggle to interpret?
This section contains 234 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)