|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Preface.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Morrison teach?
(a) Racial Studies.
(b) English composition.
(c) American Literature.
(d) Women's studies.
2. What is American literature described as being in Playing in the Dark?
(a) A bookshelf.
(b) A closet.
(c) A melting pot.
(d) A treasure trove.
3. What persuaded Morrison to read The Words to Say It?
(a) A synopsis.
(b) The author.
(c) The title.
(d) The cover.
4. Until recently, what did Morrison assume about all readers of American fiction?
(a) They are raceless.
(b) They are white.
(c) They are men.
(d) They are women.
5. According to Cardinal, what does America plan to slaughter?
(c) United Kingdom.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many lectures is Playing in the Dark based on?
2. What is Morrison skeptical about?
3. Why does Morrison claim to struggle with language that evokes hidden signals?
4. Which of the dichotomies is shown in the example of a slave woman being kind to her mistress's children but her own mother is not good to her?
5. What book discusses certain kinds of readings that seem inextricable from certain experiences of writing and knowledge?
This section contains 247 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)