|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1: Black Matters.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was a criticism written deeming the term "darky" acceptable?
2. What does Morrison consider the consequences of?
(a) Exemplary black and white characters.
(b) Literary feminism.
(c) Literary whiteness and blackness.
(d) Racial profiling in literature.
3. Which of the dichotomies is shown in the example of a slave woman being kind to her mistress's children but her own mother is not good to her?
(a) Pure and restrained.
(b) Benevolent and wicked.
(c) Angry and resentful.
(d) Sinful but enticing.
4. What does Morrison wish studies of racism would focus on?
(a) Impact of racism on those who perpetuate it.
(b) Impact of racism on readers and writers.
(c) Impact of racism on children.
(d) Impact of racism on society's foundation.
5. Which of the following is true about Africanism around the world?
(a) The US is not unique in its construction of Africanism.
(b) Europe is the only first-world region that does not acknowledge Africanism.
(c) African literature is the only type of literature that has not constructed Africanism.
(d) American literature is the only type of literature that features Africanism.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following words refers to denotative and connotative blackness that the African people have come to signify?
2. What does Cardinal's first therapy realization concern?
3. What did Cardinal tell her doctor not to keep in his office?
4. Who does Morrison attribute as being the most sensitive type of artist?
5. What does Morrison's work require her to consider?
This section contains 292 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)