|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2: Romancing the Shadow.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is "the Thing"?
(a) Cardinal's illness.
(b) Classic literature.
(c) Louis Armstrong concert.
(d) Morrison's distaste for Africanist literature.
2. What type of writer is Poe?
3. Who was criticized by a scholar who deemed the term "darky" acceptable?
(a) John Steinbeck.
(b) Sylvia Plath.
(c) Edgar Allen Poe.
(d) Toni Morrison.
4. What has the image of the bound and suppressed darkness become objectified as?
(a) Benevolent person.
(b) Africanist persona.
(c) Black persona.
(d) White persona.
5. Who was Cardinal warned against having relationships with?
(a) White people.
(b) Jewish people.
(c) Arab people.
(d) Black people.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Morrison skeptical about?
2. What does the American group that offers itself up as a surrogate represent a meditation on?
3. Who does the main female character in Sapphira and the Slave Girl demand power over?
4. What does Morrison say produces work?
5. How does Morrison describe early America as distinguishing itself?
This section contains 213 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)