|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2: Romancing the Shadow.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the opposite of restrained in the dichotomy present in Morrison's book?
2. What is the first role that the Africanist character serves as?
(a) Intentional racist target.
(b) Benevolent figure.
(c) A way to evoke emotion.
3. What is Dunbar able to justify?
(a) Killing a man.
(b) Leaving Europe.
(c) Starving his slaves.
(d) Giving his slaves lashes.
4. According to Morrison, what demands are put on black people?
(a) Anger and acceptance.
(b) Purity and restraint.
(c) Persistence and drive.
(d) Hope and loss.
5. Which of the following does Morrison say studies of racism focus on?
Short Answer Questions
1. What has the image of the bound and suppressed darkness become objectified as?
2. According to Morrison, what do reading and writing require?
3. Who gave the lectures that Morrison bases Playing in the Dark on?
4. How many lectures is Playing in the Dark based on?
5. What does Morrison describe as being the second feature of a non-American?
This section contains 177 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)