|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the valet say insists on seeing Lynley right away?
2. What is Jean's daughter knitting for her father?
3. Where has Hadiyah's mother gone on holiday?
4. What does Olivia see her mother has planted in her window box?
5. How did Harold Rashadam help Ken?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Olivia show her anger at Chris after the cat operation?
2. How does Jimmy react when Lynley finally gets to him?
3. What new leads does Lynley find in Chapter 14?
4. How did Miriam help Ken into the Kent cricket team?
5. Why did Olivia decide to get back in contact with her mother?
6. What new information does Lynley find out from Miriam in Chapter 18?
7. What does Nkata uncover about Chris's alibi?
8. How did Olivia's relationship with Chris and Miriam's relationship with Kenneth mirror one another?
9. How did Olivia find out she had ALS?
10. How does Nkata help Lynley and Havers at the beginning of chapter ten?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Lynley's character across the whole series.
1. How does the author develop Lynley's character across the whole series?
2. What new elements does Playing for the Ashes add to Lynley's character?
Essay Topic 2
Why is Olivia's past so important to the story? In what way does it soften how the reader feels about the murderer?
Essay Topic 3
How does the author describe Celedine Cottage? What kind of tone does her descriptions create? What is significant about about a murder happening here? How would the meaning of the story change if the murder happened elsewhere?
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)