|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the invitation say will be served at Hadiyah's party?
2. Why does Lynley's boss threaten to take him off the case?
3. Who does the girl promise Havers she will ask to help her move the fridge?
4. What does Lynley ask Jimmy to do?
5. Who did Guy call the night Kenneth died?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Olivia's relationship with Chris and Miriam's relationship with Kenneth mirror one another?
2. How does Havers meet the young girl in chapter eleven?
3. What new information do the police find out about Chris and Olivia in Chapter 16?
4. What information does Mollinson give Lynley about the case in this section?
5. What new information does Lynley find out from Miriam in Chapter 18?
6. Why did Olivia decide to get back in contact with her mother?
7. How did Miriam help Ken into the Kent cricket team?
8. How does Nkata help Lynley and Havers at the beginning of chapter ten?
9. How the author describe Hadiya's father?
10. What problems is Lynley having with his boss in Chapter 21?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Away from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the following people and their potential motive for murdering Kenneth.
3. Hugh Patton.
How does Lynley cross them off his list and use the information they give him to find the real killer?
Essay Topic 3
In what way does the novel suggest that helping people can lead to the neglect of others? How could people like Miriam have achieved more of a balance in their relationships?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)