|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Kenneth tell Jean he couldn't spend more time at home?
2. How does Gabriella say Mrs. Whitlaw would have felt about her breakup with Kenneth?
3. Who jumps on Jimmy as soon as he is escorted from his house by the police?
4. Why does Gariella say she took Ken's car the night of his death?
5. What does Olivia say Chris should find work as?
Short Essay Questions
1. What new information does Lynley find out from Miriam in Chapter 18?
2. How the author describe Hadiya's father?
3. Why is it easy to believe that Jimmy could have killed his own father?
4. Why did Olivia decide to get back in contact with her mother?
5. How does Nkata help Lynley and Havers at the beginning of chapter ten?
6. In what way could it be said that Kenneth's pride was responsible for his death?
7. How does Lynley act during his dinner with Havers?
8. How does Jimmy react when Lynley finally gets to him?
9. What new information do the police find out about Chris and Olivia in Chapter 16?
10. How did Olivia's relationship with Chris and Miriam's relationship with Kenneth mirror one another?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the structure of the book.
1. How does the author use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
2. Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 2
In what way does the novel suggest that helping people can lead to the neglect of others? How could people like Miriam have achieved more of a balance in their relationships?
Essay Topic 3
Pick a character from the book and discuss his or her goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)