|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Chris and Olivia rescue a group of cats from?
2. Who does the tabloid speculate that Kenneth is having an affair with?
3. Why does Lynley's father say one should never trust the sea?
4. What is Jean's daughter knitting for her father?
5. Where does Lynley find Helen asleep?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lynley act during his dinner with Havers?
2. Why is it easy to believe that Jimmy could have killed his own father?
3. What new leads does Lynley find in Chapter 14?
4. How did Olivia show her anger at Chris after the cat operation?
5. What information does Gariella give Lynley about the case?
6. How did Olivia's relationship with Chris and Miriam's relationship with Kenneth mirror one another?
7. What problems is Lynley having with his boss in Chapter 21?
8. What does Nkata uncover about Chris's alibi?
9. In what way could it be said that Kenneth's pride was responsible for his death?
10. Why is it difficult for Lynley to believe that Jimmy is the murderer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are Inspector Lynley's detective methods/ How do these methods differ from other detectives in popular fiction? What are the strengths and weaknesses of his approach?
Essay Topic 2
In what does Olivia's relationship with Chris parallel her mother's relationship with Kenneth? What does this parallel say about the relationship between mother and daughter?
Essay Topic 3
Away from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
This section contains 938 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)