|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the magazine Jean is reading in this section?
2. Where does Coffman say the superintendent has gone?
3. What kind of car does Barbara own?
4. What kind of animals was Gabrielle caring for?
5. What does Martin say Gabrielle's hair shines like?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of relationship did Hugh have with his wife Gabriella?
2. What does Olivia remember about her mother's relationship with Kenneth?
3. How did Mrs. Whitelaw rekindle her relationship with Kenneth after the death of her her husband?
4. Why does Olivia say that on the outside her mother had an admirable social conscience?
5. What does Jean say to Derrick on the phone?
6. What does Jean remember about the last time she spoke with Kenneth?
7. Who does Mrs Whitelaw think could have accessed the cottage?
8. What is Haver's opinion of Detective Ardley?
9. What was Kenneth's involvement with Gabriella Patton?
10. What does Miriam know about the night of Kenneth's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Away from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the structure of the book.
1. How does the author use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
2. Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 3
What was Jean's relationship with Kenneth? Why did Kenneth find it so difficult to leave her? How would their relationship developed if he had lived?
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)