|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Olivia say she sees her unborn baby as?
2. What country is Bhimani from?
3. Who does Miriam say she has already talked to?
4. In which country does Ritchie say he had been playing a circuit?
5. At which cricket ground did Kenneth make his first appearance for England?
Short Essay Questions
1. What details do the police have about Kenneth's private life?
2. What do Jimmy and his sibling do at Island Gardens Station?
3. What was Kenneth's involvement with Gabriella Patton?
4. What kind of relationship did Hugh have with his wife Gabriella?
5. How did Olivia meet Richie?
6. Why was Olivia angry with Chris the first time she went out with him on a rescue?
7. What does Jean remember about the last time she spoke with Kenneth?
8. What does Jean say to Derrick on the phone?
9. Why does Olivia say that on the outside her mother had an admirable social conscience?
10. What new information does Lynley find out about Olivia in this section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick a character from the book and discuss his or her goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 2
What was Jean's relationship with Kenneth? Why did Kenneth find it so difficult to leave her? How would their relationship developed if he had lived?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the structure of the book.
1. How does the author use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
2. Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)