|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of car did Ken drive?
2. What is the name of the magazine Jean is reading in this section?
3. What does Helen say she ate while out shopping?
4. What does the author say walking into Miriam's house is like walking into?
5. Complete the following rhyme; "step on a crack and break..."
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Mrs. Whitelaw rekindle her relationship with Kenneth after the death of her her husband?
2. What details do the police have about Kenneth's private life?
3. How does Olivia upset her parents when she runs into them on the street?
4. Who does Mrs Whitelaw think could have accessed the cottage?
5. What does Miriam know about the night of Kenneth's death?
6. How do the girls at the cafe decide who fetches a repair man?
7. How did Olivia meet Chris?
8. Why was Olivia angry with Chris the first time she went out with him on a rescue?
9. What was Kenneth's involvement with Gabriella Patton?
10. Why does Olivia say that on the outside her mother had an admirable social conscience?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What has happened in Olivia's recent past? How has she managed to get over the problems from her past? How important has Chris been in helping her get over her problems? How has Olivia's past shaped her into the person she is in the story?
Essay Topic 2
How does the author describe Celedine Cottage? What kind of tone does her descriptions create? What is significant about about a murder happening here? How would the meaning of the story change if the murder happened elsewhere?
Essay Topic 3
What was Miriam's relationship with Kenneth Fleming? Why was she so interested in helping him? How did her relationship with Kenneth effect her relationship with her daughter Olivia?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)