|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Olivia say she feels in spades towards her mother?
2. What university does Olivia attend?
3. What kind of take-out does Chris buy?
4. What subject does Olivia's mother teach?
5. Who does Miriam say she has already talked to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Olivia remember about her mother's relationship with Kenneth?
2. Why is the case surrounding Kenneth Fleming so volatile?
3. What is Haver's opinion of Detective Ardley?
4. What do Jimmy and his sibling do at Island Gardens Station?
5. What problems does Jean have with her son Jimmy at the beginning of this section?
6. What new information does Lynley find out about Olivia in this section?
7. How do the girls at the cafe decide who fetches a repair man?
8. Who does Mrs Whitelaw think could have accessed the cottage?
9. What does Flo say in her phone message to Havers?
10. What does Jean say to Derrick on the phone?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what way does the novel suggest that helping people can lead to the neglect of others? How could people like Miriam have achieved more of a balance in their relationships?
Essay Topic 2
What does the novel suggest happens to people that are neglected by either friends or family? What are the difference between characters in the story who have been helped by others and characters in the story who have been neglected?
Essay Topic 3
Away from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)