|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why has Garth done well in the company?
2. What subject did Professor von Neumann used to teach?
3. Why does the bartender at the Meadows refuse to serve Dr. Proteus?
4. Why won't Coach Roseberry let Halyard pass his test?
5. What is Coach Roseberry's first name?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Harold in jail?
2. Why won't the coach allow Halyard to pass his P.E. test?
3. What does Kroner say Paul will have to do to get the Pittsburgh job after the meeting with high company officials?
4. While he is on the train, what does Paul overhear about PFC Hacketts? Why has this happened to Hacketts?
5. Why has Fred Garth been successful in his career?
6. What is the basic message of the play at the Meadows?
7. How was the great oak tree killed, and why is the tree significant?
8. When Kroner visits Paul in jail, what does he say Paul can do in order to get a promotion?
9. What does the lie detector force Paul to admit?
10. Who does Paul meet on the train, and what do they talk about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Alfy and Luke Lubbock. What roles do they fill in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the purpose of the Shah and his American tour in the novel. What does the Shah, as an outsider, think about what he sees? How is his point of view different from Halyard's? Why does Halyard feel frustrated with the Shah?
Essay Topic 3
There are many stories in the book about people being replaced by the machines they helped create. Find three examples of this, and discuss why these examples are important to the story.
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)