|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Dr. Proteus live on the farm with?
2. What plan does Katherine report on at the Ghost Shirt meeting?
3. Who does Dr. Proteus sit next to on the train?
4. What does Kroner ask Dr. Proteus to do in Chapter 20?
5. Why won't Coach Roseberry let Halyard pass his test?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Kroner visits Paul in jail, what does he say Paul can do in order to get a promotion?
2. What is the basic message of the play at the Meadows?
3. What is the Ghost Shirt Society's plan for rebellion?
4. What does the coach plan to do in order to ensure that his team keeps winning?
5. What does the lie detector force Paul to admit?
6. What happens at the end of Paul's first meeting with the society?
7. Why has Fred Garth been successful in his career?
8. Why does Lasher think that Paul will be an effective leader?
9. Why is Harold in jail?
10. Why is the writer's novel rejected for publication?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the purpose of the Shah and his American tour in the novel. What does the Shah, as an outsider, think about what he sees? How is his point of view different from Halyard's? Why does Halyard feel frustrated with the Shah?
Essay Topic 2
There are many stories in the book about people being replaced by the machines they helped create. Find three examples of this, and discuss why these examples are important to the story.
Essay Topic 3
What do you think is the overall message of the novel? Use examples from the novel to prove your point.
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)