|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Dr. Proteus meet on the way home from the train station?
2. Why does the bartender at the Meadows refuse to serve Dr. Proteus?
3. What did the Ghost Shirt Society put in Dr. Proteus's drink?
4. What cities (besides Ilium) fall to the rebellion at the end of Chapter 33?
5. What has the novelist refused to do in Chapter 24?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was the great oak tree killed, and why is the tree significant?
2. Why does Paul have to visit the police station in Chapter 27?
3. What is the basic message of the play at the Meadows?
4. Why does Halyard lose his degrees?
5. Why is Harold in jail?
6. What is the basic message of the daytime TV that Paul watches?
7. What happens at the end of Paul's first meeting with the society?
8. Where does the Ghost Shirt Society get its name?
9. What does the coach plan to do in order to ensure that his team keeps winning?
10. What does the lie detector force Paul to admit?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author gives many clues that Anita is having an affair with Shepherd. Find some of these clues. Why do you think Paul does not realize what was going on?
Essay Topic 2
Research Kurt Vonnegut's military experience. How do you think these experiences influenced Player Piano?
Essay Topic 3
What role do the Reeks and Wrecks and the Army fulfill in society? Do you think that this could actually happen?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)