|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the employees watch at the Meadows?
2. What did the Ghost Shirt Society put in Dr. Proteus's drink?
3. Who does Dr. Proteus live on the farm with?
4. What does the lie detector force Dr. Proteus to admit?
5. Why is the writer' s wife prostituting herself?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the great oak symbolize, and what event is held there?
2. While he is on the train, what does Paul overhear about PFC Hacketts? Why has this happened to Hacketts?
3. What does Kroner say Paul will have to do to get the Pittsburgh job after the meeting with high company officials?
4. Why won't the coach allow Halyard to pass his P.E. test?
5. What does the lie detector force Paul to admit?
6. When Kroner visits Paul in jail, what does he say Paul can do in order to get a promotion?
7. Why does Paul have to visit the police station in Chapter 27?
8. How was the great oak tree killed, and why is the tree significant?
9. Why does Halyard lose his degrees?
10. What is the Ghost Shirt Society's plan for rebellion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Research Kurt Vonnegut's military experience. How do you think these experiences influenced Player Piano?
Essay Topic 2
The author gives many clues that Anita is having an affair with Shepherd. Find some of these clues. Why do you think Paul does not realize what was going on?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Finnerty and Lasher, particularly their attitudes about the rebellion. Consider Finnerty's motivation for joining the rebellion versus Lasher's. What are their backgrounds? How do each of them think that the rebellion will benefit society?
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)