|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the police come to Dr. Proteus's farm?
2. Why is the writer's novel rejected in Chapter 24?
3. Who does Dr. Proteus see at the police station?
4. Why won't Alfy join the Ghost Shirt Society?
5. Who does Dr. Proteus meet on the way home from the train station?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kroner say Paul will have to do to get the Pittsburgh job after the meeting with high company officials?
2. What does the lie detector force Paul to admit?
3. What are the members of the rebellion doing instead of taking over the specific targets?
4. Why is Harold in jail?
5. Who does Paul meet on the train, and what do they talk about?
6. What happens at the end of Paul's first meeting with the society?
7. Why has Fred Garth been successful in his career?
8. While he is on the train, what does Paul overhear about PFC Hacketts? Why has this happened to Hacketts?
9. When Kroner visits Paul in jail, what does he say Paul can do in order to get a promotion?
10. What is the Ghost Shirt Society's plan for rebellion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Finnerty and Lasher, particularly their attitudes about the rebellion. Consider Finnerty's motivation for joining the rebellion versus Lasher's. What are their backgrounds? How do each of them think that the rebellion will benefit society?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Anita and what purpose she serves in the novel. Focus on her relationship with Paul, her primary motivation, her background, etc.
Essay Topic 3
Lasher says at the end of the novel that he knew the rebellion would fail, but wanted to take a stand "for the record." What purpose does Lasher think the rebellion will serve? Do you agree?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)