|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Kroner used to be good friends with?
2. How does Finnerty get into Dr. Proteus's office at the beginning of Chapter 9?
3. At the Meadows, what does Katherine say that Bud will probably have to do?
4. What problem do the Reeks and Wrecks find with Dr. Proteus's car?
5. What does Dr. Proteus wonder at the end of Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Anita's greatest concern when she asks Paul about his night at the bar? What does this reveal about Anita?
2. What does the Shah think of the social/political structure of Ilium, despite Halyard's attempts to convince him otherwise?
3. What is Dr. Proteus's position in the company?
4. Why does Haycox mock Paul and Dr. Pond?
5. Why is Bud Calhoun out of a job?
6. What does Anita want Paul to do to Shepherd, and why doesn't he do it?
7. What happens to Checker Charley during its match with Paul?
8. How does Finnerty usually look and dress, and why is this surprising?
9. What is Dr. Proteus's father famous for doing?
10. Why does Dr. Proteus bring the cat to Ilium Works, and what happens to it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What factors lead to the mechanization of Paul's society? Why is it so easy for people to become dependent on machines?
Essay Topic 2
Why is Paul dissatisfied with his life at the beginning of the novel? What choices does he make to try to change his situation?
Essay Topic 3
What role do the Reeks and Wrecks and the Army fulfill in society? Do you think that this could actually happen?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)