|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lasher say is his profession?
2. Why does Hagstrom's wife cry after the Shah leaves?
3. What lie does Dr. Proteus tell to the Reeks and Wrecks?
4. Why is Hacketts suspended?
5. Why won't Dr. Proteus's car start?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Shah think of the social/political structure of Ilium, despite Halyard's attempts to convince him otherwise?
2. Describe Hackett's attitude towards the Army.
3. Why does Haycox mock Paul and Dr. Pond?
4. What does Paul want to do for his and Anita's anniversary , and what does Anita want to do instead?
5. Why does Paul's car stall out, and who fixes it?
6. How does Anita react when Dr. Proteus tells her about his experience in Homestead?
7. Why does Dr. Proteus bring the cat to Ilium Works, and what happens to it?
8. What happens to Checker Charley during its match with Paul?
9. What does Dr. Proteus notice about the Reeks and Wrecks on the bridge?
10. What is Dr. Proteus's position in the company?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of women in the futuristic society of the novel. Describe the professions of each of the female characters in the novel, and why their opportunities are different from those of their male counterparts.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Alfy and Luke Lubbock. What roles do they fill in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Why is Paul dissatisfied with his life at the beginning of the novel? What choices does he make to try to change his situation?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)