|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Dr. Proteus bring the cat to Ilium?
2. What does Dr. Proteus discover is missing from his car?
3. How does everyone cover up Anita and Shepherd's fight?
4. What is EPICAC?
5. What team is Shepherd captain of at the Meadows?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who takes Paul's gun and why?
2. Who is the Shah of Bratpuhr, and why is he in Ilium?
3. What does Anita want Paul to do to Shepherd, and why doesn't he do it?
4. What is Dr. Proteus's position in the company?
5. What does Alfy do to make money?
6. What does Paul want to do most at the end of Chapter 10?
7. Why does Haycox mock Paul and Dr. Pond?
8. What is unique about the farm that Paul plans to visit in Chapter 14?
9. How does Anita react when Dr. Proteus tells her about his experience in Homestead?
10. Why does Paul's car stall out, and who fixes it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Anita and what purpose she serves in the novel. Focus on her relationship with Paul, her primary motivation, her background, etc.
Essay Topic 2
The author gives many clues that Anita is having an affair with Shepherd. Find some of these clues. Why do you think Paul does not realize what was going on?
Essay Topic 3
Why is Paul dissatisfied with his life at the beginning of the novel? What choices does he make to try to change his situation?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)