|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much is the offer that Buck takes from Coach Roseberry?
2. What did the Ghost Shirt Society put in Dr. Proteus's drink?
(a) Truth serum.
(b) Cold medicine.
(d) Sleeping pills.
3. What does Kroner ask Dr. Proteus to do in Chapter 20?
(a) Go on a business trip.
(b) Lose the competition on purpose.
(c) Host a dinner party.
(d) Become an informant.
4. How is the oak tree killed?
(a) Someone poisons the ground beneath it.
(b) Someone burns it down.
(c) Someone removes a circle of the bark.
(d) Someone chops it down.
5. What has the novelist refused to do in Chapter 24?
(a) Work in public relations.
(b) Write for a newspaper.
(c) Move to another city.
(d) Join the Army.
Short Answer Questions
1. What cities (besides Ilium) fall to the rebellion at the end of Chapter 33?
2. Why is Halyard depressed in Chapter 33?
3. Who does Paul see at the bar?
4. What happens while Dr. Proteus is testifying?
5. To where is PFC Hacketts being shipped?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Paul see run out of the woods after the Meadows, and why is this important?
2. How was the great oak tree killed, and why is the tree significant?
3. Who does Paul meet on the train, and what do they talk about?
4. Why won't the coach allow Halyard to pass his P.E. test?
5. What does Kroner say Paul will have to do to get the Pittsburgh job after the meeting with high company officials?
6. What does the great oak symbolize, and what event is held there?
7. Why is the writer's novel rejected for publication?
8. When Kroner visits Paul in jail, what does he say Paul can do in order to get a promotion?
9. Why does Halyard lose his degrees?
10. Why has Fred Garth been successful in his career?
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)