|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the President in Ilium in Chapter 11?
(a) To receive a report on any rebels in the area.
(b) To dedicate the newest section of EPICAC.
(c) To make a campaign speech.
(d) To meet with the local government and police.
2. What is the name of the machine that plays checkers that Berringer uses to challenge Dr. Proteus?
(a) Checkers 3000.
(b) Checker Charley.
(c) The Ilium Challenger.
(d) The Checker Champion.
3. What does Dr. Proteus promise to do for the man in Homestead whose son failed his exams?
(a) Put in a good word at the company.
(b) Give him money.
(c) Get his son a job.
(d) Buy him a car.
4. Why does Finnerty not fit in at Ilium?
(a) He has a rebellious attitude.
(b) He seems to get promoted faster than other people.
(c) He shows up late all the time.
(d) He will not go to lunch with them.
5. Why does the checkers machine catch fire?
(a) One of its wires was loose.
(b) It has a faulty battery.
(c) Dr. Proteus rigs it.
(d) It is overwhelmed by Dr. Proteus's skill.
Short Answer Questions
1. What lie does Dr. Proteus tell to the Reeks and Wrecks?
2. Why does Anita pretend to like Finnerty?
3. How does Finnerty become so successful at Ilium?
4. Who does Anita compare Dr. Proteus to near the end of Chapter 16?
5. Who does Anita think looks like Dr. Proteus's father?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the purpose of the dinner that Dr. Proteus goes to in Chapter 1, and what does he have to do there?
2. What does Paul want to do most at the end of Chapter 10?
3. Why does Dr. Proteus bring the cat to Ilium Works, and what happens to it?
4. Why is Anita horrified at the idea of the living on the farm?
5. What are Lasher's beliefs about the state of society, and what does he think will happen to it?
6. What does the Shah think of the social/political structure of Ilium, despite Halyard's attempts to convince him otherwise?
7. How does Anita react when Dr. Proteus tells her about his experience in Homestead?
8. Why does Finnerty quit his job?
9. Describe Hackett's attitude towards the Army.
10. What is EPICAC, and what does the Shah say about it?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)