|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why has Shepherd been spreading rumors about Dr. Proteus?
(a) He and Dr. Proteus have always been enemies.
(b) He is jealous of Dr. Proteus's success.
(c) Dr. Proteus betrayed him.
(d) Shepherd wanted to marry Anita.
2. Who is Dr. Halyard?
(a) A translator.
(b) A construction worker.
(c) A powerful religious leader.
(d) A tour guide.
3. In Chapter 13, how much money does Dr. Proteus estimate that he has?
4. What attitude does Lasher have toward the system in Chapter 9?
(a) He thinks the citizens should hold a protest.
(b) He thinks it has its flaws, but it is the best it can be.
(c) He hates it, but feels nothing can be done.
(d) He feels there will be a revolt against the machines.
5. Why does Finnerty not fit in at Ilium?
(a) He seems to get promoted faster than other people.
(b) He shows up late all the time.
(c) He has a rebellious attitude.
(d) He will not go to lunch with them.
6. Why does the checkers machine catch fire?
(a) It is overwhelmed by Dr. Proteus's skill.
(b) It has a faulty battery.
(c) Dr. Proteus rigs it.
(d) One of its wires was loose.
7. Who is Dr. Katherine Finch?
(a) An engineer at Ilium.
(b) Dr. Proteus's secretary.
(c) Dr. Calhoun's assistant.
(d) Dr. Proteus's wife.
8. What does Kroner invite Dr. Proteus and Anita to do in Chapter 10?
(a) Come over for dinner.
(b) Play a round of golf.
(c) Go to the bar.
(d) Join his lodge.
9. What kind of governmental system does the Shah think Ilium is based on at first?
10. How does Finnerty get into Dr. Proteus's office at the beginning of Chapter 9?
(a) He picks the lock.
(b) He still has the keys.
(c) He asks Katherine to let him in.
(d) He breaks down the door.
11. What problem do the Reeks and Wrecks find with Dr. Proteus's car?
(a) A broken fuel pump.
(b) A bad gasket.
(c) A cut brake line.
(d) A faulty cooling fan.
12. How does Anita try to convince Dr. Proteus not to quit his job?
(a) By making him feel guilty.
(b) By giving him money.
(c) By seducing him.
(d) By arguing with him.
13. What is EPICAC?
(a) The computer that controls the economy.
(b) A government investigation group.
(c) The surveillance system at the plant.
(d) The robot that delivers the mail.
14. What kind of display does the Shah see at the beginning of Chapter 7?
(a) A parade.
(b) A commemorative speech.
(c) A fashion show.
(d) A play.
15. What did Shepherd find in Dr. Proteus's desk?
(a) A letter about Shepherd.
(c) An empty whiskey bottle.
(d) Suspicious literature.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the Hagstroms spend most of their time?
2. What is the name of the machine that plays checkers that Berringer uses to challenge Dr. Proteus?
3. What does Kroner say at the end of Chapter 12 that Dr. Proteus has to do in order to get the job in Pittsburgh?
4. Who is the previous owner of the farm that Dr. Proteus wants to buy?
5. Why does Finnerty quit his job?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)