|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Anita think looks like Dr. Proteus's father?
(b) Dr. Proteus.
2. Who is Mr. Haycox?
(a) A farmhand.
(b) The real estate agent.
(c) The former owner's son.
(d) The caretaker of the farm.
3. What does Rudy unintentionally do that embarrasses Dr. Proteus?
(a) Invites Dr. Proteus to his house for dinner.
(b) Plays a song on the player piano in his honor.
(c) Buys him a drink.
(d) Recites a poem about him.
4. What kind of people join the Army and the public works department?
(a) Engineers and other scientists.
(b) People who are highly educated.
(c) Only the children of the most influential families.
(d) People who can't do the job better than a machine.
5. Who is Luke Lubbock?
(a) A member of many lodges.
(b) The son of a powerful politician.
(c) The bartender at the bar in Homestead.
(d) Katherine's husband.
6. What does Shepherd insist that the company do?
(a) Give him a raise.
(b) Fire Dr. Proteus.
(c) Transfer him.
(d) Promote him over Dr. Proteus.
7. Who is Shepherd?
(a) Dr. Proteus's cousin.
(b) Dr. Proteus's friend who works in Washington.
(c) Dr. Proteus's friend who works below him in the Works.
(d) Dr. Proteus's friend from college.
8. Why does Dr. Proteus drive into Homestead?
(a) To buy whiskey.
(b) To get his car fixed.
(c) To buy jewelry for his wife.
(d) To find workers for the factory.
9. How does Anita react when Dr. Proteus tells her about his experience in Homestead?
(a) She tells him he is overreacting.
(b) She tells him never to go there again.
(c) She becomes very upset.
(d) She says he should have stood up for himself.
10. Why has Shepherd been spreading rumors about Dr. Proteus?
(a) He is jealous of Dr. Proteus's success.
(b) He and Dr. Proteus have always been enemies.
(c) Shepherd wanted to marry Anita.
(d) Dr. Proteus betrayed him.
11. What is true about the Reeks and Wrecks?
(a) They are part of a very prestigious organization.
(b) They are extremely well-paid.
(c) They are being forced into slavery.
(d) There are more of them than there are jobs for them to do.
12. Who said this quote? "Does that make you happy, that this has been going on for thirteen years?"
(d) Dr. Proteus.
13. At the Meadows, what does Katherine say that Bud will probably have to do?
(a) Become a janitor.
(b) Work at the bar.
(c) Join the Reeks and Wrecks.
(d) Join the Army.
14. What team is Shepherd captain of at the Meadows?
(a) The Blue Team.
(b) The Yellow Team.
(c) The Green Team.
(d) The Red Team.
15. What is Hagstrom's IQ?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Bud get fired?
2. Who is Rudy Hertz?
3. Who does the Shah request a visit with at the beginning of Chapter 17?
4. What does Dr. Proteus promise to do for the man in Homestead whose son failed his exams?
5. At the end of Chapter 10, what lie does Dr. Proteus tell Anita at first about his night at the bar?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)