|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 13, how much money does Dr. Proteus estimate that he has?
2. Why is Hacketts suspended?
(a) He leaves his shoes untied.
(b) His fly is open.
(c) He disobeys an order from his commanding officer.
(d) He shoots his weapon unprovoked.
3. Why does the checkers machine catch fire?
(a) Dr. Proteus rigs it.
(b) It is overwhelmed by Dr. Proteus's skill.
(c) One of its wires was loose.
(d) It has a faulty battery.
4. In Chapter 6, how does Anita try to convince Dr. Proteus to take the job in Pittsburgh?
(a) She says his father would want him to have the job.
(b) She tries to flatter him.
(c) She agrees to sleep with him only if he goes for the job.
(d) She says she will leave him if he does not try to get the job.
5. What is the name of the machine that plays checkers that Berringer uses to challenge Dr. Proteus?
(a) The Ilium Challenger.
(b) Checker Charley.
(c) Checkers 3000.
(d) The Checker Champion.
6. Who is Dr. Halyard?
(a) A powerful religious leader.
(b) A tour guide.
(c) A construction worker.
(d) A translator.
7. How does PFC Hacketts feel about the Army?
(a) He loves his position.
(b) He despises it.
(c) He likes it, but hates his living conditions.
(d) He wishes he could stay longer.
8. Who is Khashdrahr Miasma?
(a) A tour guide.
(b) A powerful religious leader.
(c) A translator.
(d) A construction worker.
9. Why doesn't Anita like Finnerty?
(a) They used to date, and it ended badly.
(b) They used to be friends, but had an argument.
(c) She thinks he is dirty and has a bad attitude.
(d) He does not have much money.
10. How does Dr. Proteus react to Lasher's initial story about his son?
(a) He begins to sob and apologize.
(b) He demands an apology.
(c) He gets extremely angry.
(d) He throws his drink at Lasher.
11. Who is Rudy Hertz?
(a) The machinist whose work causes mass unemployment.
(b) A worker in the Reeks and Wrecks.
(c) A musician at the bar in Homestead.
(d) An engineer at Ilium Works.
12. How does Dr. Proteus think that Anita will feel about moving to a farm?
(a) He thinks she will be angry he spent so much money.
(b) He thinks she will never go with him.
(c) He thinks he can slowly convince her to go.
(d) He thinks she will love the idea.
13. Why does Dr. Proteus bring the cat to Ilium?
(a) To serve as a test subject.
(b) It follows him there.
(c) He is lonely and needed a companion.
(d) To catch mice.
14. Who are Kroner and Baer?
(a) Friends of Anita's.
(b) Regulars at the local bar.
(c) Engineers who work below Dr. Proteus at Ilium Works.
(d) Important officials at Ilium Works.
15. Why does Finnerty not fit in at Ilium?
(a) He seems to get promoted faster than other people.
(b) He will not go to lunch with them.
(c) He shows up late all the time.
(d) He has a rebellious attitude.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the engineers and other wealthy citizens of Ilium live?
2. What does Shepherd insist that the company do?
3. How does Anita convince Dr. Proteus to marry her?
4. How does Anita try to convince Dr. Proteus not to quit his job?
5. Why is the President in Ilium in Chapter 11?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)