|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is "The Playboy of the Western World?"
2. Why does Shawn say Christy and Pegeen don't suit each other?
3. Christy leaves Pegeen's house to go:
4. The motivation for sending the girls to meet Christy is:
5. During the girls' discussion of the boots, Sara Tansey:
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Characters voice and exhibit both rational and irrational fears throughout the play. Considering these fears, write an essay in which you:
1) Identify any common fear among the villagers and qualify it as rational or irrational.
2) Identify any character as the most fearful in the play, supporting your ideas with examples from the text.
3) Identify any fear as the most significant motivating factor in the play, supporting your ideas with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Synge's use of humor extends to every character in the play. Write an essay considering:
1) The effect of Synge's humor on the more serious events of the play.
2) Any humorous event or line of dialogue that directly affects the outcome of events in the play.
3) The influence of humor on the development of theme in the play.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the significance of characters' physical appearance in the play. Write an essay in which you a) Discuss the change in Christy's appearance and its significance to his characterization; b) Discuss the difference between Shaun and Christy's appearance as they are described by the author, and consider the significance of this to Pegeen's actions; or 3) Consider the significance of Pegeen's appearance, as it is described by the author, to the events of the play and the actions of the male characters.
This section contains 1,624 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)