|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what way does Christy demonstrate courage in Act II?
2. A literary term for Pegeen's warning to Christy about what will happen if he keeps telling his story is?
3. What is Shawn's plan for Christy?
4. Where is Christy in actuality while the Widow Quin is taking to Old Mahon?
5. What does the Widow Quin suggest that Old Mahon do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the title, "The Playboy of the Western World." Write an essay in which you:
1) Identify the titular character and use examples to describe how the title applies to this character.
2) Explain the meaning of the title and describe its significance to the theme of the play.
3) Evaluate the effectiveness of the title and offer an alternate title that better fits the events of the play.
Use examples from the text to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the significance of characters' physical appearance in the play. Write an essay in which you a) Discuss the change in Christy's appearance and its significance to his characterization; b) Discuss the difference between Shaun and Christy's appearance as they are described by the author, and consider the significance of this to Pegeen's actions; or 3) Consider the significance of Pegeen's appearance, as it is described by the author, to the events of the play and the actions of the male characters.
Essay Topic 3
Discussions of courage appear throughout Synge's play. Write an essay in which you:
1) Describe any single character as courageous and use examples to support your ideas
2) Describe any single action as courageous and use examples to support your ideas.
3) Describe the lack of courage displayed by the majority of characters throughout the play, and use examples to support your ideas.
This section contains 378 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)