|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following characters could be described as the most impulsive?
2. The term "whisht" in the character's dialect means:
3. Where is Christy in actuality while the Widow Quin is taking to Old Mahon?
4. Where does the Widow Quin tell Old Mahon that Christy is?
5. Christy's demeanor as he tells his story can be described as which of the following?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the motifs of sanity and insanity in Synge's play. Then write an essay in which you explore a) The general sanity of the villagers; b) Synge's statement about sanity and insanity through the events of the play; or c) The insanity of any one character or situation in the play. Be sure to use examples from the text to support your arguement.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the female roles apparent in Synge's play. Write an essay in which you:
1) List the available roles for females in Synge's play and identify the author's attitude toward each.
2) Describe the roles of the female characters in Synge's play and describe the significance of each to the events of the play.
3) Describe Synge's purpose in developing the female roles present in the play, and the significance of these roles to the themes of the play.
Essay Topic 3
Discussions of courage appear throughout Synge's play. Write an essay in which you:
1) Describe any single character as courageous and use examples to support your ideas
2) Describe any single action as courageous and use examples to support your ideas.
3) Describe the lack of courage displayed by the majority of characters throughout the play, and use examples to support your ideas.
This section contains 330 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)