|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Christy in actuality while the Widow Quin is taking to Old Mahon?
2. Why does Shawn say Christy and Pegeen don't suit each other?
3. The term "whisht" in the character's dialect means:
4. Christy leaves Pegeen's house to go:
5. What happens each time Christy tells his story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the differences between appearance and reality in the play. Write an essay in which you discuss:
1) The difference between Christy's appearance and his reality.
2) The difference between any characters' statements and their behaviors.
3) The significance of appearance and reality to the events of the play.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the motifs of sanity and insanity in Synge's play. Then write an essay in which you explore a) The general sanity of the villagers; b) Synge's statement about sanity and insanity through the events of the play; or c) The insanity of any one character or situation in the play. Be sure to use examples from the text to support your arguement.
Essay Topic 3
Discussions of courage appear throughout Synge's play. Write an essay in which you:
1) Describe any single character as courageous and use examples to support your ideas
2) Describe any single action as courageous and use examples to support your ideas.
3) Describe the lack of courage displayed by the majority of characters throughout the play, and use examples to support your ideas.
This section contains 1,597 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)