|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the village girls come to meet Christy, the one item they do not bring him is?
2. What is Christy worried about after Old Mahon leaves?
3. Which of the following would not be offered in trade for a favor by the characters in the play?
4. Pegeen punishes Christy for being friendly to the girls by:
5. The people of Pegeen's village can be characterized as:
Essay Topic 1
There are several plans for weddings and wakes in Synge's play. Write an essay in which you a) discuss the significance of any plan for a wedding or a wake to the events of the play; b) discuss the significance of any wedding or wake to the theme of the play; or c) discuss the significance of the contrasting motifs to the theme of the play.
Essay Topic 2
Fathers play a prominent role in The Playboy of the Western World. In an essay:
1) Describe Pegeen's father as either successful or unsuccessful in raising and caring for his daughter.
2) Describe Old Mahon as either successful or unsuccessful in raising and caring for his son.
3) Identify the role Synge has created for fathers in his play.
Use examples from the text to support your essay.
Essay Topic 3
Discussions of courage appear throughout Synge's play. Write an essay in which you:
1) Describe any single character as courageous and use examples to support your ideas
2) Describe any single action as courageous and use examples to support your ideas.
3) Describe the lack of courage displayed by the majority of characters throughout the play, and use examples to support your ideas.
This section contains 1,613 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)