|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Christy see out the window just as he is about to join the races?
2. What does Old Mahon insist the Widow Quin examine?
3. Christy tells the girls and the Widow Quin that his father wanted him to:
4. Why was Pegeen angry with Christy for speaking with the girls and the Widow Quin?
5. When Pegeen warns Christy not to tell everybody of his crime or he might have to leave, he surprises her by:
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Act 3, Philly and Jimmy have an extended discussion about skulls. Write an essay in which you consider a) The symbolic meaning of skulls in Act 3; b) The characterization of Philly and Jimmy through their discussion of skulls; or c) The significance of the exposition revealed in Philly and Jimmy's conversation to the theme of the play.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the significance of characters' physical appearance in the play. Write an essay in which you a) Discuss the change in Christy's appearance and its significance to his characterization; b) Discuss the difference between Shaun and Christy's appearance as they are described by the author, and consider the significance of this to Pegeen's actions; or 3) Consider the significance of Pegeen's appearance, as it is described by the author, to the events of the play and the actions of the male characters.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the various symbols used in the play. Write an essay in which you:
1) Identify any symbol and its meaning in the play; then connect the development of the symbol to the theme of the play.
2) Identify any character as symbolic of Synge's statements regarding Ireland in the preface to the play.
3) Identify any belief the characters espouse as symbolic, and connect the belief to the them of the play.
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)