Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Christy say his father did just before Christy struck him?
2. The people of Pegeen's village can be characterized as:
3. Christy tells the Widow Quin:
4. The character who is most unbending about his or her religious beliefs is:
5. Pegeen's village is located:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the motifs of sanity and insanity in Synge's play. Then write an essay in which you explore a) The general sanity of the villagers; b) Synge's statement about sanity and insanity through the events of the play; or c) The insanity of any one character or situation in the play. Be sure to use examples from the text to support your arguement.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the motif of unknown and unseen dangers in The Playboy of The Western World. Write an essay in which you:
1) Examine the characters' various reactions to unknown and unseen dangers.
2) Examine the possible effects of the motif on the events of the play.
3) Consider the significance of the motif on the theme of the play.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the various symbols used in the play. Write an essay in which you:
1) Identify any symbol and its meaning in the play; then connect the development of the symbol to the theme of the play.
2) Identify any character as symbolic of Synge's statements regarding Ireland in the preface to the play.
3) Identify any belief the characters espouse as symbolic, and connect the belief to the them of the play.
This section contains 302 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)