|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Christy say his father did just before Christy struck him?
2. The people of Pegeen's village can be characterized as:
3. Christy tells the Widow Quin:
4. The character who is most unbending about his or her religious beliefs is:
5. Pegeen's village is located:
Essay Topic 1
Examples of characters winning and losing occur in different ways in Synge's play. Consider the motifs of winning and losing, and write an essay:
1) Qualifying any character as either "winner" or "loser" through the events of the play.
2) Exploring the significance of the village games as determinants for winners and losers.
3) Discuss three ways characters might "win" or "lose" over the course of the play.
Essay Topic 2
Synge's use of humor extends to every character in the play. Write an essay considering:
1) The effect of Synge's humor on the more serious events of the play.
2) Any humorous event or line of dialogue that directly affects the outcome of events in the play.
3) The influence of humor on the development of theme in the play.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the female roles apparent in Synge's play. Write an essay in which you:
1) List the available roles for females in Synge's play and identify the author's attitude toward each.
2) Describe the roles of the female characters in Synge's play and describe the significance of each to the events of the play.
3) Describe Synge's purpose in developing the female roles present in the play, and the significance of these roles to the themes of the play.
This section contains 1,572 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)