|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Shawn's plan for Christy?
2. What does the Widow Quin suggest that Old Mahon do?
3. The villagers seem very religious, yet they treat Christy with:
4. Pegeen's village is located:
5. What is the mood in Act II?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the significance of storytelling to the events and theme of Synge's play. Write an essay in which you discuss the significance of a) Christy's story about his father; b) Shawn's story about his journey to Pegeen's place in Act 1; or c) Old Mahon's story about his son.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the various symbols used in the play. Write an essay in which you:
1) Identify any symbol and its meaning in the play; then connect the development of the symbol to the theme of the play.
2) Identify any character as symbolic of Synge's statements regarding Ireland in the preface to the play.
3) Identify any belief the characters espouse as symbolic, and connect the belief to the them of the play.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the motifs of sanity and insanity in Synge's play. Then write an essay in which you explore a) The general sanity of the villagers; b) Synge's statement about sanity and insanity through the events of the play; or c) The insanity of any one character or situation in the play. Be sure to use examples from the text to support your arguement.
This section contains 316 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)