|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Act II opens with Christy performing what activity?
2. What do the girls from the village want from Christy?
3. Pegeen's village is located:
4. Why was Pegeen angry with Christy for speaking with the girls and the Widow Quin?
5. When Pegeen rushes out to tend to her sheep crisis, what does Shawn offer to Christy to leave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the contrasting motifs of impulse and caution in the play. Then write an essay in which you a) Identify three examples of impulse or caution that directly affect the course of events in the play; b) Compare and contrast an impulsive character and a cautious character; or c) Directly relate the motifs of impulse and caution to the theme of the play using examples of characters' behavior to support your point.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the differences between appearance and reality in the play. Write an essay in which you discuss:
1) The difference between Christy's appearance and his reality.
2) The difference between any characters' statements and their behaviors.
3) The significance of appearance and reality to the events of the play.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the significance of storytelling to the events and theme of Synge's play. Write an essay in which you discuss the significance of a) Christy's story about his father; b) Shawn's story about his journey to Pegeen's place in Act 1; or c) Old Mahon's story about his son.
This section contains 313 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)