|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Christy tells the Widow Quin:
2. In what way does Christy demonstrate courage in Act II?
3. Which character comes up with the idea of entering Christy into the races and games?
4. The character who is most unbending about his or her religious beliefs is:
5. What does the mirror at the beginning of the scene symbolize?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the characters who act with caution and those who act upon impulse in the play. Write an essay in which you consider:
1) What effect do acts of caution and impulse have on the events of the play?
2) Which characters seem happier in the play: those who act with caution, or those who act upon impulse.
3) Which characters are portrayed as cautious and which are portrayed as impulsive. Why might the author portray them this way?
Be sure to use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
There are several plans for weddings and wakes in Synge's play. Write an essay in which you a) discuss the significance of any plan for a wedding or a wake to the events of the play; b) discuss the significance of any wedding or wake to the theme of the play; or c) discuss the significance of the contrasting motifs to the theme of the play.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the title, "The Playboy of the Western World." Write an essay in which you:
1) Identify the titular character and use examples to describe how the title applies to this character.
2) Explain the meaning of the title and describe its significance to the theme of the play.
3) Evaluate the effectiveness of the title and offer an alternate title that better fits the events of the play.
Use examples from the text to support your ideas.
This section contains 1,604 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)