|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Christy in actuality while the Widow Quin is taking to Old Mahon?
2. Pegeen punishes Christy for being friendly to the girls by:
3. Which of the following characters could be described as the most impulsive?
4. Which character in the story seems to have the most self-doubt?
5. A literary term for Pegeen's warning to Christy about what will happen if he keeps telling his story is?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several plans for weddings and wakes in Synge's play. Write an essay in which you a) discuss the significance of any plan for a wedding or a wake to the events of the play; b) discuss the significance of any wedding or wake to the theme of the play; or c) discuss the significance of the contrasting motifs to the theme of the play.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the various symbols used in the play. Write an essay in which you:
1) Identify any symbol and its meaning in the play; then connect the development of the symbol to the theme of the play.
2) Identify any character as symbolic of Synge's statements regarding Ireland in the preface to the play.
3) Identify any belief the characters espouse as symbolic, and connect the belief to the them of the play.
Essay Topic 3
Examples of characters winning and losing occur in different ways in Synge's play. Consider the motifs of winning and losing, and write an essay:
1) Qualifying any character as either "winner" or "loser" through the events of the play.
2) Exploring the significance of the village games as determinants for winners and losers.
3) Discuss three ways characters might "win" or "lose" over the course of the play.
This section contains 337 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)