|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Pegeen's village is located:
2. Christy tells the Widow Quin:
3. What does the Widow Quin suggest that Old Mahon do?
4. When Christy and Pegeen talk about what their life might be like together, they are:
5. Why was Pegeen angry with Christy for speaking with the girls and the Widow Quin?
Essay Topic 1
There are several plans for weddings and wakes in Synge's play. Write an essay in which you a) discuss the significance of any plan for a wedding or a wake to the events of the play; b) discuss the significance of any wedding or wake to the theme of the play; or c) discuss the significance of the contrasting motifs to the theme of the play.
Essay Topic 2
Characters voice and exhibit both rational and irrational fears throughout the play. Considering these fears, write an essay in which you:
1) Identify any common fear among the villagers and qualify it as rational or irrational.
2) Identify any character as the most fearful in the play, supporting your ideas with examples from the text.
3) Identify any fear as the most significant motivating factor in the play, supporting your ideas with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Fathers play a prominent role in The Playboy of the Western World. In an essay:
1) Describe Pegeen's father as either successful or unsuccessful in raising and caring for his daughter.
2) Describe Old Mahon as either successful or unsuccessful in raising and caring for his son.
3) Identify the role Synge has created for fathers in his play.
Use examples from the text to support your essay.
This section contains 1,619 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)