|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Christy and Pegeen talk about what their life might be like together, they are:
2. Which character comes up with the idea of entering Christy into the races and games?
3. A literary term for Pegeen's warning to Christy about what will happen if he keeps telling his story is?
4. Which character can be described as a character foil for Pegeen?
5. The term "whisht" in the character's dialect means:
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The villagers in Synge's play mention religion often. Write an essay in which you:
1) Identify any ironies between the villagers proclaimed religious beliefs and their behaviors.
2) Identify 3 examples in the play where religion influences the actions or dialogue of a character, and describe their significance to the events of the play.
3) Identify Synge's attitude toward religion using 3 examples of religion's influence over characters and events in the play.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the differences between appearance and reality in the play. Write an essay in which you discuss:
1) The difference between Christy's appearance and his reality.
2) The difference between any characters' statements and their behaviors.
3) The significance of appearance and reality to the events of the play.
Essay Topic 3
J.M. Synge said, "On the stage one must have reality, and one must have joy." Write an essay in which you:
1) Describe The Playboy of the Western World as a play about either reality or joy.
2) Identify examples of both reality and joy in the, confirming Synge's assertion.
3) Challenge, Defend, or qualify Synge's assertion using examples from the text to support your argument.
This section contains 1,571 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)