|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what way does Christy demonstrate courage in Act II?
2. What is Shawn's plan for Christy?
3. When Act II opens, what is the time of day?
4. What is Christy worried about after Old Mahon leaves?
5. Why does Shawn say Christy and Pegeen don't suit each other?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The villagers in Synge's play mention religion often. Write an essay in which you:
1) Identify any ironies between the villagers proclaimed religious beliefs and their behaviors.
2) Identify 3 examples in the play where religion influences the actions or dialogue of a character, and describe their significance to the events of the play.
3) Identify Synge's attitude toward religion using 3 examples of religion's influence over characters and events in the play.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the significance of storytelling to the events and theme of Synge's play. Write an essay in which you discuss the significance of a) Christy's story about his father; b) Shawn's story about his journey to Pegeen's place in Act 1; or c) Old Mahon's story about his son.
Essay Topic 3
J.M. Synge said, "On the stage one must have reality, and one must have joy." Write an essay in which you:
1) Describe The Playboy of the Western World as a play about either reality or joy.
2) Identify examples of both reality and joy in the, confirming Synge's assertion.
3) Challenge, Defend, or qualify Synge's assertion using examples from the text to support your argument.
This section contains 358 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)