|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character in the story seems to have the most self-doubt?
2. At the end of Act II, Christy is summoned by:
3. What is the most significant plot change in Act II?
4. Why was Pegeen angry with Christy for speaking with the girls and the Widow Quin?
5. When Act II opens, what is the time of day?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the motifs of sanity and insanity in Synge's play. Then write an essay in which you explore a) The general sanity of the villagers; b) Synge's statement about sanity and insanity through the events of the play; or c) The insanity of any one character or situation in the play. Be sure to use examples from the text to support your arguement.
Essay Topic 2
Examples of characters winning and losing occur in different ways in Synge's play. Consider the motifs of winning and losing, and write an essay:
1) Qualifying any character as either "winner" or "loser" through the events of the play.
2) Exploring the significance of the village games as determinants for winners and losers.
3) Discuss three ways characters might "win" or "lose" over the course of the play.
Essay Topic 3
In Act 3, Philly and Jimmy have an extended discussion about skulls. Write an essay in which you consider a) The symbolic meaning of skulls in Act 3; b) The characterization of Philly and Jimmy through their discussion of skulls; or c) The significance of the exposition revealed in Philly and Jimmy's conversation to the theme of the play.
This section contains 1,605 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)