|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Christy worried about after Old Mahon leaves?
2. In what way does Christy demonstrate courage in Act II?
3. The Widow Quin enters the scene and suggests that he tell all of them his story while:
4. When Act II opens, what is the time of day?
5. The character who is most unbending about his or her religious beliefs is:
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the significance of characters' physical appearance in the play. Write an essay in which you a) Discuss the change in Christy's appearance and its significance to his characterization; b) Discuss the difference between Shaun and Christy's appearance as they are described by the author, and consider the significance of this to Pegeen's actions; or 3) Consider the significance of Pegeen's appearance, as it is described by the author, to the events of the play and the actions of the male characters.
Essay Topic 2
Fathers play a prominent role in The Playboy of the Western World. In an essay:
1) Describe Pegeen's father as either successful or unsuccessful in raising and caring for his daughter.
2) Describe Old Mahon as either successful or unsuccessful in raising and caring for his son.
3) Identify the role Synge has created for fathers in his play.
Use examples from the text to support your essay.
Essay Topic 3
Consider how night and day affect characters and their actions in the play. Write an essay in which you:
1) Compare and contrast the events occurring at night to events occurring during the day, and arrive at a statement about the significance of each time period.
2) Discuss the significance of night and day to the mood of each act.
3) Compare any character's actions during Act 1, which takes place at night, to their actions in Acts 2 and 3, taking place the following day.
Be sure to use examples from the play to support your argument.
This section contains 406 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)