Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Christy say his father did just before Christy struck him?
2. The people of Pegeen's village can be characterized as:
3. Christy tells the Widow Quin:
4. The character who is most unbending about his or her religious beliefs is:
5. Pegeen's village is located:
Essay Topic 1
Consider how night and day affect characters and their actions in the play. Write an essay in which you:
1) Compare and contrast the events occurring at night to events occurring during the day, and arrive at a statement about the significance of each time period.
2) Discuss the significance of night and day to the mood of each act.
3) Compare any character's actions during Act 1, which takes place at night, to their actions in Acts 2 and 3, taking place the following day.
Be sure to use examples from the play to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
In Act 3, Philly and Jimmy have an extended discussion about skulls. Write an essay in which you consider a) The symbolic meaning of skulls in Act 3; b) The characterization of Philly and Jimmy through their discussion of skulls; or c) The significance of the exposition revealed in Philly and Jimmy's conversation to the theme of the play.
Essay Topic 3
J.M. Synge said, "On the stage one must have reality, and one must have joy." Write an essay in which you:
1) Describe The Playboy of the Western World as a play about either reality or joy.
2) Identify examples of both reality and joy in the, confirming Synge's assertion.
3) Challenge, Defend, or qualify Synge's assertion using examples from the text to support your argument.
This section contains 326 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)