Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Christy say his father did just before Christy struck him?
2. The people of Pegeen's village can be characterized as:
3. Christy tells the Widow Quin:
4. The character who is most unbending about his or her religious beliefs is:
5. Pegeen's village is located:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the significance of storytelling to the events and theme of Synge's play. Write an essay in which you discuss the significance of a) Christy's story about his father; b) Shawn's story about his journey to Pegeen's place in Act 1; or c) Old Mahon's story about his son.
Essay Topic 2
Consider how night and day affect characters and their actions in the play. Write an essay in which you:
1) Compare and contrast the events occurring at night to events occurring during the day, and arrive at a statement about the significance of each time period.
2) Discuss the significance of night and day to the mood of each act.
3) Compare any character's actions during Act 1, which takes place at night, to their actions in Acts 2 and 3, taking place the following day.
Be sure to use examples from the play to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the contrasting motifs of impulse and caution in the play. Then write an essay in which you a) Identify three examples of impulse or caution that directly affect the course of events in the play; b) Compare and contrast an impulsive character and a cautious character; or c) Directly relate the motifs of impulse and caution to the theme of the play using examples of characters' behavior to support your point.
This section contains 1,572 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)