|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What Christy offer the Widow Quin if she will help him win Pegeen?
2. A literary term for Pegeen's warning to Christy about what will happen if he keeps telling his story is?
3. Christy leaves Pegeen's house to go:
4. The majority of the characters' dialogues include:
5. Which character in the story seems to have the most self-doubt?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider how night and day affect characters and their actions in the play. Write an essay in which you:
1) Compare and contrast the events occurring at night to events occurring during the day, and arrive at a statement about the significance of each time period.
2) Discuss the significance of night and day to the mood of each act.
3) Compare any character's actions during Act 1, which takes place at night, to their actions in Acts 2 and 3, taking place the following day.
Be sure to use examples from the play to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
There are several plans for weddings and wakes in Synge's play. Write an essay in which you a) discuss the significance of any plan for a wedding or a wake to the events of the play; b) discuss the significance of any wedding or wake to the theme of the play; or c) discuss the significance of the contrasting motifs to the theme of the play.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the female roles apparent in Synge's play. Write an essay in which you:
1) List the available roles for females in Synge's play and identify the author's attitude toward each.
2) Describe the roles of the female characters in Synge's play and describe the significance of each to the events of the play.
3) Describe Synge's purpose in developing the female roles present in the play, and the significance of these roles to the themes of the play.
This section contains 369 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)