|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Christy see out the window just as he is about to join the races?
2. What is the mood in Act II?
3. When Christy comes out of the back room, the girls:
4. When the village girls arrive, they interrupt Christy as he is:
5. A literary term for Pegeen's warning to Christy about what will happen if he keeps telling his story is?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The villagers in Synge's play mention religion often. Write an essay in which you:
1) Identify any ironies between the villagers proclaimed religious beliefs and their behaviors.
2) Identify 3 examples in the play where religion influences the actions or dialogue of a character, and describe their significance to the events of the play.
3) Identify Synge's attitude toward religion using 3 examples of religion's influence over characters and events in the play.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the motif of unknown and unseen dangers in The Playboy of The Western World. Write an essay in which you:
1) Examine the characters' various reactions to unknown and unseen dangers.
2) Examine the possible effects of the motif on the events of the play.
3) Consider the significance of the motif on the theme of the play.
Essay Topic 3
Consider how night and day affect characters and their actions in the play. Write an essay in which you:
1) Compare and contrast the events occurring at night to events occurring during the day, and arrive at a statement about the significance of each time period.
2) Discuss the significance of night and day to the mood of each act.
3) Compare any character's actions during Act 1, which takes place at night, to their actions in Acts 2 and 3, taking place the following day.
Be sure to use examples from the play to support your argument.
This section contains 351 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)