|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Widow Quin suggest that Old Mahon do?
2. Which character has the most at stake due to the appearance of Christy?
3. What is poteen?
4. What does Christy see out the window just as he is about to join the races?
5. What does Old Mahon insist the Widow Quin examine?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the various symbols used in the play. Write an essay in which you:
1) Identify any symbol and its meaning in the play; then connect the development of the symbol to the theme of the play.
2) Identify any character as symbolic of Synge's statements regarding Ireland in the preface to the play.
3) Identify any belief the characters espouse as symbolic, and connect the belief to the them of the play.
Essay Topic 2
In Act 3, Philly and Jimmy have an extended discussion about skulls. Write an essay in which you consider a) The symbolic meaning of skulls in Act 3; b) The characterization of Philly and Jimmy through their discussion of skulls; or c) The significance of the exposition revealed in Philly and Jimmy's conversation to the theme of the play.
Essay Topic 3
Synge's use of humor extends to every character in the play. Write an essay considering:
1) The effect of Synge's humor on the more serious events of the play.
2) Any humorous event or line of dialogue that directly affects the outcome of events in the play.
3) The influence of humor on the development of theme in the play.
This section contains 300 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)