|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Shawn Keogh's nickname is:
2. Christy Mahon's big secret is that:
3. A "shebeen" is a:
4. Christy committed the murder by:
5. Pegeen's formal name is:
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Christy so upset to see his father in the village?
2. Why didn't Old Mahon leave town?
3. Describe the Widow Quin's character in terms of doing people favors.
4. What of man if Christy's father, according to Christy?
5. What finally saves Christy from being hanged?
6. Why is it not in Christy's best interests to tell everyone the story of how he murdered his dad?
7. Explain how Christy says he murdered his da.
8. What is Pegeen's job?
9. What is the nature of Christy and Pegeen's conversation after the crowd disperses in Act 3?
10. What deal does the Widow Quin offer in exchange for her help with Shaun's problem?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discussions of courage appear throughout Synge's play. Write an essay in which you:
1) Describe any single character as courageous and use examples to support your ideas
2) Describe any single action as courageous and use examples to support your ideas.
3) Describe the lack of courage displayed by the majority of characters throughout the play, and use examples to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the significance of characters' physical appearance in the play. Write an essay in which you a) Discuss the change in Christy's appearance and its significance to his characterization; b) Discuss the difference between Shaun and Christy's appearance as they are described by the author, and consider the significance of this to Pegeen's actions; or 3) Consider the significance of Pegeen's appearance, as it is described by the author, to the events of the play and the actions of the male characters.
Essay Topic 3
Characters voice and exhibit both rational and irrational fears throughout the play. Considering these fears, write an essay in which you:
1) Identify any common fear among the villagers and qualify it as rational or irrational.
2) Identify any character as the most fearful in the play, supporting your ideas with examples from the text.
3) Identify any fear as the most significant motivating factor in the play, supporting your ideas with examples from the text.
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)