|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Michael offers Christy a job as:
2. Pegeen's relationship with her father can be described as:
3. The ethnic background of the characters in the play is:
4. The argument between the Widow Quin and Pegeen involves:
5. The Widow Quin tells Christy that Pegeen is:
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Jimmy, Philly, and Michael James think that Christy will make a suitable potboy?
2. What is Shawn afraid of?
3. What function do Michael Flaherty and his friends, Philly and Jimmy perform at the wake of Kate Cassidy?
4. Why is the Widow Quin interested in getting Christy to marry her in order to help Shawn?
5. Describe the relationship between Pegeen and her father, Michael.
6. What is fueling Christy's newfound confidence?
7. Explain how Christy says he murdered his da.
8. How does Christy react when he offered the job as potboy?
9. What is the nature of Christy and Pegeen's conversation after the crowd disperses in Act 3?
10. Why does the Widow Quin feel she would be a better fit for Christy than Pegeen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the contrasting motifs of impulse and caution in the play. Then write an essay in which you a) Identify three examples of impulse or caution that directly affect the course of events in the play; b) Compare and contrast an impulsive character and a cautious character; or c) Directly relate the motifs of impulse and caution to the theme of the play using examples of characters' behavior to support your point.
Essay Topic 2
Discussions of courage appear throughout Synge's play. Write an essay in which you:
1) Describe any single character as courageous and use examples to support your ideas
2) Describe any single action as courageous and use examples to support your ideas.
3) Describe the lack of courage displayed by the majority of characters throughout the play, and use examples to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
J.M. Synge said, "On the stage one must have reality, and one must have joy." Write an essay in which you:
1) Describe The Playboy of the Western World as a play about either reality or joy.
2) Identify examples of both reality and joy in the, confirming Synge's assertion.
3) Challenge, Defend, or qualify Synge's assertion using examples from the text to support your argument.
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)