Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Pegeen attempts to discredit the Widow Quin by accusing her of:
2. When the characters use the term "himself" they are referring to:
3. As Michael James meets and converses with Christy, he addresses him as:
4. Pegeen's discussion with Christy after her father leaves is interrupted by:
5. A characteristic of Pegeen's personality that appears often is her:
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the irony in the villagers enthusiasm and acceptance of Christy Mahon.
2. Describe Pegeen's personality.
3. Why does Shawn refuse to stay with Pegeen, even after Michael Flaherty tries to force him to stay?
4. What gives Christy "a new arrogance?"
5. What changes Pegeen's mind about marriage to Christy?
6. Why is dispensation needed for Shawn to marry Pegeen?
7. What is Pegeen's reason for refusing to help Christy escape?
8. Describe Pegeen's response when Christy asks twice if she is engaged.
9. What plan do Christy and the Widow devise when Old Mahon comes to town looking for Christy?
10. Describe the manner in which Pegeen treats Shawn and explain why.
Essay Topic 1
Consider the contrasting motifs of impulse and caution in the play. Then write an essay in which you a) Identify three examples of impulse or caution that directly affect the course of events in the play; b) Compare and contrast an impulsive character and a cautious character; or c) Directly relate the motifs of impulse and caution to the theme of the play using examples of characters' behavior to support your point.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the motifs of sanity and insanity in Synge's play. Then write an essay in which you explore a) The general sanity of the villagers; b) Synge's statement about sanity and insanity through the events of the play; or c) The insanity of any one character or situation in the play. Be sure to use examples from the text to support your arguement.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the various symbols used in the play. Write an essay in which you:
1) Identify any symbol and its meaning in the play; then connect the development of the symbol to the theme of the play.
2) Identify any character as symbolic of Synge's statements regarding Ireland in the preface to the play.
3) Identify any belief the characters espouse as symbolic, and connect the belief to the them of the play.
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)