|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Pegeen attempts to discredit the Widow Quin by accusing her of:
2. When the characters use the term "himself" they are referring to:
3. As Michael James meets and converses with Christy, he addresses him as:
4. Pegeen's discussion with Christy after her father leaves is interrupted by:
5. A characteristic of Pegeen's personality that appears often is her:
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the irony in the villagers enthusiasm and acceptance of Christy Mahon.
2. Describe Pegeen's personality.
3. Why does Shawn refuse to stay with Pegeen, even after Michael Flaherty tries to force him to stay?
4. What gives Christy "a new arrogance?"
5. What changes Pegeen's mind about marriage to Christy?
6. Why is dispensation needed for Shawn to marry Pegeen?
7. What is Pegeen's reason for refusing to help Christy escape?
8. Describe Pegeen's response when Christy asks twice if she is engaged.
9. What plan do Christy and the Widow devise when Old Mahon comes to town looking for Christy?
10. Describe the manner in which Pegeen treats Shawn and explain why.
Essay Topic 1
Consider how night and day affect characters and their actions in the play. Write an essay in which you:
1) Compare and contrast the events occurring at night to events occurring during the day, and arrive at a statement about the significance of each time period.
2) Discuss the significance of night and day to the mood of each act.
3) Compare any character's actions during Act 1, which takes place at night, to their actions in Acts 2 and 3, taking place the following day.
Be sure to use examples from the play to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the motif of unknown and unseen dangers in The Playboy of The Western World. Write an essay in which you:
1) Examine the characters' various reactions to unknown and unseen dangers.
2) Examine the possible effects of the motif on the events of the play.
3) Consider the significance of the motif on the theme of the play.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the differences between appearance and reality in the play. Write an essay in which you discuss:
1) The difference between Christy's appearance and his reality.
2) The difference between any characters' statements and their behaviors.
3) The significance of appearance and reality to the events of the play.
This section contains 1,901 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)