|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Pegeen is like her father in that they are both:
2. Pegeen is referred to as "Pegeen Mike" in the story because:
3. One of Christy favorite pastimes after working hard all day on the farm is:
4. What does Michael James expect Shawn to do in Michael's absence?
5. Christy tells Pegeen that his father:
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Michael's reaction to Pegeen's change of heart?
2. Describe the relationship between Pegeen and her father, Michael.
3. How does Old Mahon finally see Christy?
4. What is fueling Christy's newfound confidence?
5. What function do Michael Flaherty and his friends, Philly and Jimmy perform at the wake of Kate Cassidy?
6. What gives Christy "a new arrogance?"
7. Why does Shawn refuse to stay with Pegeen, even after Michael Flaherty tries to force him to stay?
8. How do Philly and Jimmy appear to feel about Christy?
9. Why does the Widow Quin feel she would be a better fit for Christy than Pegeen?
10. What change occurs in Christy and Old Mahon's relationship by the end of the act?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1Consider the various symbols used in the play. Write an essay in which you: 1) Identify any symbol and its meaning in the play; then connect the development of the symbol to the theme of the play. OR 2) Identify any character as symbolic of Synge's statements regarding Ireland in the preface to the play. OR 3) Identify any belief the characters espouse as symbolic, and connect the belief to the them of the play.
Essay Topic 2Consider the title, "The Playboy of the Western World." Write an essay in which you: 1) Identify the titular character and use examples to describe how the title applies to this character. OR 2) Explain the meaning of the title and describe its significance to the theme of the play. OR 3) Evaluate the effectiveness of the title and offer an alternate title that better fits the events of the play. Use examples from the text to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3Discussions of courage appear throughout Synge's play. Write an essay in which you: 1) Describe any single character as courageous and use examples to support your ideas OR 2) Describe any single action as courageous and use examples to support your ideas. OR 3) Describe the lack of courage displayed by the majority of characters throughout the play, and use examples to support your ideas.
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)