|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Christy Mahon's big secret is that:
2. Act 1 begins with Pegeen:
3. The issue of Christy going home with the Widow Quin is resolved when:
4. When Pegeen asks Christy if he is attracting many girls after telling his story, he replies:
5. The term "pot-boy" refers to:
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Shawn afraid of?
2. What finally saves Christy from being hanged?
3. What gives Christy "a new arrogance?"
4. What does Christy fight with his father about that results in Christy hitting him over the head?
5. What is Michael's reaction to Pegeen's change of heart?
6. Why won't Christy run to avoid the crowd that wants to hang him?
7. Describe Pegeen's personality.
8. What do we learn about Christy's character from Old Mahon?
9. What does Pegeen lament at the end of the play?
10. What deal does the Widow Quin offer in exchange for her help with Shaun's problem?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the significance of characters' physical appearance in the play. Write an essay in which you a) Discuss the change in Christy's appearance and its significance to his characterization; b) Discuss the difference between Shaun and Christy's appearance as they are described by the author, and consider the significance of this to Pegeen's actions; or 3) Consider the significance of Pegeen's appearance, as it is described by the author, to the events of the play and the actions of the male characters.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the motifs of sanity and insanity in Synge's play. Then write an essay in which you explore a) The general sanity of the villagers; b) Synge's statement about sanity and insanity through the events of the play; or c) The insanity of any one character or situation in the play. Be sure to use examples from the text to support your arguement.
Essay Topic 3
Discussions of courage appear throughout Synge's play. Write an essay in which you:
1) Describe any single character as courageous and use examples to support your ideas
2) Describe any single action as courageous and use examples to support your ideas.
3) Describe the lack of courage displayed by the majority of characters throughout the play, and use examples to support your ideas.
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)