|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In his first conversation with Pegeen, Shawn's character is revealed as that of a:
2. The issue of Christy going home with the Widow Quin is resolved when:
3. Christy has not been caught for the murder so far because:
4. Pegeen's formal name is:
5. Christy responds to Pegeen with, "We're alike so" after she tells him:
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pegeen lament at the end of the play?
2. Why does Old Mahon's story arouse suspicion for Philly?
3. Why does Pegeen say she is the fright of seven townlands?
4. Describe the Widow Quin's character in terms of doing people favors.
5. How does the Widow try to dissuade Philly and Jimmy from following Old Mahon?
6. What is Pegeen's job?
7. Describe the mood in Act 1.
8. What information do Philly and Jimmy reveal about Christy's presence at the games?
9. Why does Shawn refuse to stay with Pegeen, even after Michael Flaherty tries to force him to stay?
10. Why didn't Old Mahon leave town?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider how night and day affect characters and their actions in the play. Write an essay in which you:
1) Compare and contrast the events occurring at night to events occurring during the day, and arrive at a statement about the significance of each time period.
2) Discuss the significance of night and day to the mood of each act.
3) Compare any character's actions during Act 1, which takes place at night, to their actions in Acts 2 and 3, taking place the following day.
Be sure to use examples from the play to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Discussions of courage appear throughout Synge's play. Write an essay in which you:
1) Describe any single character as courageous and use examples to support your ideas
2) Describe any single action as courageous and use examples to support your ideas.
3) Describe the lack of courage displayed by the majority of characters throughout the play, and use examples to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Characters voice and exhibit both rational and irrational fears throughout the play. Considering these fears, write an essay in which you:
1) Identify any common fear among the villagers and qualify it as rational or irrational.
2) Identify any character as the most fearful in the play, supporting your ideas with examples from the text.
3) Identify any fear as the most significant motivating factor in the play, supporting your ideas with examples from the text.
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)