|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Christy is served a supper of:
2. In his first conversation with Pegeen, Shawn's character is revealed as that of a:
3. Michael offers Christy a job as:
4. The argument between the Widow Quin and Pegeen involves:
5. The length of time covered in Act 1 is:
Short Essay Questions
1. What gives Christy "a new arrogance?"
2. Describe the two rivalries that are apparent by Act II.
3. What is Pegeen's job?
4. Why do Jimmy, Philly, and Michael James think that Christy will make a suitable potboy?
5. What is Pegeen's reason for refusing to help Christy escape?
6. What occurs between Christy and Old Mahon when the crowd arrives and learns the truth?
7. Why does the Widow Quin feel she would be a better fit for Christy than Pegeen?
8. Describe how Pegeen gets Christy to tell them why he is running from the police.
9. What finally saves Christy from being hanged?
10. Describe the mood in Act 1.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discussions of courage appear throughout Synge's play. Write an essay in which you:
1) Describe any single character as courageous and use examples to support your ideas
2) Describe any single action as courageous and use examples to support your ideas.
3) Describe the lack of courage displayed by the majority of characters throughout the play, and use examples to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the female roles apparent in Synge's play. Write an essay in which you:
1) List the available roles for females in Synge's play and identify the author's attitude toward each.
2) Describe the roles of the female characters in Synge's play and describe the significance of each to the events of the play.
3) Describe Synge's purpose in developing the female roles present in the play, and the significance of these roles to the themes of the play.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the differences between appearance and reality in the play. Write an essay in which you discuss:
1) The difference between Christy's appearance and his reality.
2) The difference between any characters' statements and their behaviors.
3) The significance of appearance and reality to the events of the play.
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)