|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the character, Christy Mahon enters the scene, he is:
2. The Widow Quin tells Christy that Pegeen is:
3. A second rivalry in act one involves:
4. The setting of Act 1 takes place:
5. Christy responds to Pegeen with, "We're alike so" after she tells him:
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it not in Christy's best interests to tell everyone the story of how he murdered his dad?
2. Why is dispensation needed for Shawn to marry Pegeen?
3. What finally saves Christy from being hanged?
4. What do Shawn's reservations about staying with Pegeen before their marriage suggest about his character?
5. What is Pegeen's job?
6. What of man if Christy's father, according to Christy?
7. Why does the Widow Quin feel she would be a better fit for Christy than Pegeen?
8. Describe Shawn's reaction to Christy being offered the job as potboy.
9. What is a comfort to the Widow Quin at the end of Act 2?
10. Describe the relationship between Pegeen and her father, Michael.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The villagers in Synge's play mention religion often. Write an essay in which you:
1) Identify any ironies between the villagers proclaimed religious beliefs and their behaviors.
2) Identify 3 examples in the play where religion influences the actions or dialogue of a character, and describe their significance to the events of the play.
3) Identify Synge's attitude toward religion using 3 examples of religion's influence over characters and events in the play.
Essay Topic 2
Discussions of courage appear throughout Synge's play. Write an essay in which you:
1) Describe any single character as courageous and use examples to support your ideas
2) Describe any single action as courageous and use examples to support your ideas.
3) Describe the lack of courage displayed by the majority of characters throughout the play, and use examples to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the various symbols used in the play. Write an essay in which you:
1) Identify any symbol and its meaning in the play; then connect the development of the symbol to the theme of the play.
2) Identify any character as symbolic of Synge's statements regarding Ireland in the preface to the play.
3) Identify any belief the characters espouse as symbolic, and connect the belief to the them of the play.
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)