|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Shawn reacts to Christy's employment by:
2. In his first conversation with Pegeen, Shawn's character is revealed as that of a:
3. Pegeen's father is going out for the evening to:
4. Pegeen's discussion with Christy after her father leaves is interrupted by:
5. When the characters use the term "himself" they are referring to:
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Philly and Jimmy appear to feel about Christy?
2. Describe Pegeen's personality.
3. What items does Pegeen say she requires in the letter she writes?
4. What does the Widow Quin mean when she calls Christy "The Playboy of the Western World?"
5. Why does the Widow Quin feel she would be a better fit for Christy than Pegeen?
6. What does Pegeen lament at the end of the play?
7. What do we learn about Christy's character from Old Mahon?
8. What function do Michael Flaherty and his friends, Philly and Jimmy perform at the wake of Kate Cassidy?
9. What is Pegeen's reason for refusing to help Christy escape?
10. Why is the Widow Quin interested in getting Christy to marry her in order to help Shawn?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Characters voice and exhibit both rational and irrational fears throughout the play. Considering these fears, write an essay in which you:
1) Identify any common fear among the villagers and qualify it as rational or irrational.
2) Identify any character as the most fearful in the play, supporting your ideas with examples from the text.
3) Identify any fear as the most significant motivating factor in the play, supporting your ideas with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the motif of unknown and unseen dangers in The Playboy of The Western World. Write an essay in which you:
1) Examine the characters' various reactions to unknown and unseen dangers.
2) Examine the possible effects of the motif on the events of the play.
3) Consider the significance of the motif on the theme of the play.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the motifs of sanity and insanity in Synge's play. Then write an essay in which you explore a) The general sanity of the villagers; b) Synge's statement about sanity and insanity through the events of the play; or c) The insanity of any one character or situation in the play. Be sure to use examples from the text to support your arguement.
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)