|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The issue of Christy going home with the Widow Quin is resolved when:
2. Which of the following characters does not appear in Act 1?
3. The play was first published in the year:
4. Pegeen's discussion with Christy after her father leaves is interrupted by:
5. Christy is served a supper of:
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Christy react when he offered the job as potboy?
2. What information do Philly and Jimmy reveal about Christy's presence at the games?
3. Describe the manner in which Pegeen treats Shawn and explain why.
4. Why does Shawn refuse to stay with Pegeen, even after Michael Flaherty tries to force him to stay?
5. Why do so many townspeople accompany Christy back to the pub?
6. Describe the relationship between Pegeen and her father, Michael.
7. What is Christy's reaction when his father enters the pub?
8. Why does Pegeen say she is the fright of seven townlands?
9. Why does Old Mahon's story arouse suspicion for Philly?
10. What do Michael and Shaun report has finally arrived?
Essay Topic 1
Fathers play a prominent role in The Playboy of the Western World. In an essay:
1) Describe Pegeen's father as either successful or unsuccessful in raising and caring for his daughter.
2) Describe Old Mahon as either successful or unsuccessful in raising and caring for his son.
3) Identify the role Synge has created for fathers in his play.
Use examples from the text to support your essay.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the characters who act with caution and those who act upon impulse in the play. Write an essay in which you consider:
1) What effect do acts of caution and impulse have on the events of the play?
2) Which characters seem happier in the play: those who act with caution, or those who act upon impulse.
3) Which characters are portrayed as cautious and which are portrayed as impulsive. Why might the author portray them this way?
Be sure to use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
J.M. Synge said, "On the stage one must have reality, and one must have joy." Write an essay in which you:
1) Describe The Playboy of the Western World as a play about either reality or joy.
2) Identify examples of both reality and joy in the, confirming Synge's assertion.
3) Challenge, Defend, or qualify Synge's assertion using examples from the text to support your argument.
This section contains 1,860 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)