|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Shawn is mocked by Pegeen and her father because:
2. Pegeen's formal name is:
3. What do both Shawn and Michael James claim to hear from a ditch on the side of the road that evening?
4. Christy tells Pegeen that his father:
5. Pegeen's wedding is on hold until her fiance receives:
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Shawn's reservations about staying with Pegeen before their marriage suggest about his character?
2. What does Christy fight with his father about that results in Christy hitting him over the head?
3. What does Christy discover about himself during the gaming events in the village?
4. Describe the manner in which Pegeen treats Shawn and explain why.
5. Why won't Christy run to avoid the crowd that wants to hang him?
6. What changes Pegeen's mind about marriage to Christy?
7. What is the nature of Christy and Pegeen's conversation after the crowd disperses in Act 3?
8. How does Old Mahon finally see Christy?
9. What finally saves Christy from being hanged?
10. Why does Old Mahon's story arouse suspicion for Philly?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the differences between appearance and reality in the play. Write an essay in which you discuss:
1) The difference between Christy's appearance and his reality.
2) The difference between any characters' statements and their behaviors.
3) The significance of appearance and reality to the events of the play.
Essay Topic 2
The villagers in Synge's play mention religion often. Write an essay in which you:
1) Identify any ironies between the villagers proclaimed religious beliefs and their behaviors.
2) Identify 3 examples in the play where religion influences the actions or dialogue of a character, and describe their significance to the events of the play.
3) Identify Synge's attitude toward religion using 3 examples of religion's influence over characters and events in the play.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the title, "The Playboy of the Western World." Write an essay in which you:
1) Identify the titular character and use examples to describe how the title applies to this character.
2) Explain the meaning of the title and describe its significance to the theme of the play.
3) Evaluate the effectiveness of the title and offer an alternate title that better fits the events of the play.
Use examples from the text to support your ideas.
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)