|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. A "shebeen" is a:
2. The ethnic background of the characters in the play is:
3. Considering the Irish dialect used by the author, the term "da" means:
4. Pegeen's approximate age in the play is:
5. Pegeen is like her father in that they are both:
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Pegeen's reason for refusing to help Christy escape?
2. What is the nature of Christy and Pegeen's conversation after the crowd disperses in Act 3?
3. Why does the Widow Quin feel she would be a better fit for Christy than Pegeen?
4. What is Michael's reaction to Pegeen's change of heart?
5. What does Pegeen lament at the end of the play?
6. Describe the relationship between Pegeen and her father, Michael.
7. Why does Shawn refuse to stay with Pegeen, even after Michael Flaherty tries to force him to stay?
8. What deal does the Widow Quin offer in exchange for her help with Shaun's problem?
9. Why is Christy so upset to see his father in the village?
10. What changes Pegeen's mind about marriage to Christy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the contrasting motifs of impulse and caution in the play. Then write an essay in which you a) Identify three examples of impulse or caution that directly affect the course of events in the play; b) Compare and contrast an impulsive character and a cautious character; or c) Directly relate the motifs of impulse and caution to the theme of the play using examples of characters' behavior to support your point.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the title, "The Playboy of the Western World." Write an essay in which you:
1) Identify the titular character and use examples to describe how the title applies to this character.
2) Explain the meaning of the title and describe its significance to the theme of the play.
3) Evaluate the effectiveness of the title and offer an alternate title that better fits the events of the play.
Use examples from the text to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Fathers play a prominent role in The Playboy of the Western World. In an essay:
1) Describe Pegeen's father as either successful or unsuccessful in raising and caring for his daughter.
2) Describe Old Mahon as either successful or unsuccessful in raising and caring for his son.
3) Identify the role Synge has created for fathers in his play.
Use examples from the text to support your essay.
This section contains 1,893 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)