|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Shawn is mocked by Pegeen and her father because:
2. In his first conversation with Pegeen, Shawn's character is revealed as that of a:
3. When Pegeen asks Christy if he is attracting many girls after telling his story, he replies:
4. Shawn Keogh's nickname is:
5. What does Michael James expect Shawn to do in Michael's absence?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is fueling Christy's newfound confidence?
2. What changes Pegeen's mind about marriage to Christy?
3. What is Shawn afraid of?
4. What function do Michael Flaherty and his friends, Philly and Jimmy perform at the wake of Kate Cassidy?
5. How does Christy react when he offered the job as potboy?
6. What gives Christy "a new arrogance?"
7. Why won't Christy run to avoid the crowd that wants to hang him?
8. Why is Christy so upset to see his father in the village?
9. What does Christy discover about himself during the gaming events in the village?
10. Why does the Widow Quin try to convince the others that Old Mahon is crazy?
Essay Topic 1
Discussions of courage appear throughout Synge's play. Write an essay in which you:
1) Describe any single character as courageous and use examples to support your ideas
2) Describe any single action as courageous and use examples to support your ideas.
3) Describe the lack of courage displayed by the majority of characters throughout the play, and use examples to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the contrasting motifs of impulse and caution in the play. Then write an essay in which you a) Identify three examples of impulse or caution that directly affect the course of events in the play; b) Compare and contrast an impulsive character and a cautious character; or c) Directly relate the motifs of impulse and caution to the theme of the play using examples of characters' behavior to support your point.
Essay Topic 3
The villagers in Synge's play mention religion often. Write an essay in which you:
1) Identify any ironies between the villagers proclaimed religious beliefs and their behaviors.
2) Identify 3 examples in the play where religion influences the actions or dialogue of a character, and describe their significance to the events of the play.
3) Identify Synge's attitude toward religion using 3 examples of religion's influence over characters and events in the play.
This section contains 1,929 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)