|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Pegeen's discussion with Christy after her father leaves is interrupted by:
(b) The Widow Quin.
(c) Old Mahon.
(d) The peelers.
2. Christy Mahon's big secret is that:
(a) He killed his landlord.
(b) He is wanted for larceny and killing a soldier.
(c) He killed his father.
(d) He killed his three wives.
3. The argument between the Widow Quin and Pegeen involves:
(a) The Widow Quin attempting to take Christy home with her.
(b) The Widow Quin attempting to stay overnight at Pegeen's.
(c) The Widow Quin attempting to take Shawn away from Pegeen.
(d) The Widow Quin attempting to marry Pegeen's father.
4. A second rivalry in act one involves:
(a) Christy Mahon and Shawn Keogh.
(b) The Widow Quin and Shawn Keogh.
(c) The Old Mahon and Christy Mahon.
(d) Shawn Keogh and Michael James.
5. Considering the Irish dialect used by the author, the term "da" means:
Short Answer Questions
1. Christy tells Pegeen that his father:
2. A common greeting amongst the characters is:
3. Christy is served a supper of:
4. Pegeen is referred to as "Pegeen Mike" in the story because:
5. One of Christy favorite pastimes after working hard all day on the farm is:
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Shawn afraid of?
2. How do Philly and Jimmy appear to feel about Christy?
3. How does Old Mahon finally see Christy?
4. What does the Widow learn from Old Mahon about Christy's former love life?
5. What finally saves Christy from being hanged?
6. What changes Pegeen's mind about marriage to Christy?
7. What is significant about Old Mahon's description of his son?
8. What information do Philly and Jimmy reveal about Christy's presence at the games?
9. Why does Old Mahon's story arouse suspicion for Philly?
10. Describe how Pegeen gets Christy to tell them why he is running from the police.
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)