|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. There is a rivalry for Christy's attentions between:
(a) Pegeen and the Widow Quin.
(b) The Widow Quin and Shaneen.
(c) Pegeen and Sarah Tansey.
(d) Margaret and Shaneen.
2. The issue of Christy going home with the Widow Quin is resolved when:
(a) Shawn decides to stay with Christy and Pegeen.
(b) Christy falls asleep.
(c) Christy says he wants to stay with Pegeen.
(d) The Widow Quin decides to stay with Christy and Pegeen.
3. The length of time covered in Act 1 is:
(a) The period of Pegeen's youth.
(b) A fortnight.
(c) One week.
(d) One evening.
4. What do both Shawn and Michael James claim to hear from a ditch on the side of the road that evening?
(a) A rabid dog growling.
(b) A wolf howling.
(d) Someone groaning.
5. Shawn reacts to Christy's employment by:
(b) Offering to stay with Pegeen.
(c) Calling Christy a liar.
(d) Threatening to kill Christy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Pegeen is like her father in that they are both:
2. The term "pot-boy" refers to:
3. Pegeen's wedding is on hold until her fiance receives:
4. Pegeen's relationship with her father can be described as:
5. The play was first published in the year:
Short Essay Questions
1. What finally saves Christy from being hanged?
2. What is Christy's reaction when his father enters the pub?
3. What is fueling Christy's newfound confidence?
4. What does the Widow learn from Old Mahon about Christy's former love life?
5. Why is the Widow Quin interested in getting Christy to marry her in order to help Shawn?
6. Describe the Widow Quin's character in terms of doing people favors.
7. Why is dispensation needed for Shawn to marry Pegeen?
8. Why do Jimmy, Philly, and Michael James think that Christy will make a suitable potboy?
9. What deal does the Widow Quin offer in exchange for her help with Shaun's problem?
10. What of man if Christy's father, according to Christy?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)