|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Pegeen's relationship with her father can be described as:
(b) One sided.
2. The Widow Quin tells Christy that Pegeen is:
(a) Engaged to be married.
(c) A Widow herself.
(d) Not a christian.
3. Shawn will not stay the night because:
(a) He is afraid of the peelers.
(b) He is afraid of the person wailing in the ditch.
(c) He wants to attend the wake.
(d) He is afraid of Father Reilly.
4. Pegeen's approximate age in the play is:
(a) Fifteen years old.
(b) Twenty years old.
(c) Twenty five years old.
(d) Fifty years old.
5. The most significant conflict at the end of Act 1 is:
(a) Christy has run away from home.
(b) Michael James has had too much to drink at the wake.
(c) Pegeen is flirting with Christy when she is engaged to someone else.
(d) The Widow Quin wants to take Christy home.
Short Answer Questions
1. Once she is alone with Christy, Pegeen spends a great deal of time:
2. The play was first published in the year:
3. When Pegeen says to Shawn, "Go on, then, to Father Reilly, and let him put you in the holy brotherhoods, and leave that lad to me," what emotion is she displaying?
4. The argument between the Widow Quin and Pegeen involves:
5. As Michael James meets and converses with Christy, he addresses him as:
Short Essay Questions
1. What items does Pegeen say she requires in the letter she writes?
2. What plan do Christy and the Widow devise when Old Mahon comes to town looking for Christy?
3. Describe the relationship between Pegeen and her father, Michael.
4. What does Philly begin to realize before he leaves to follow Old Mahon?
5. What is Pegeen's reason for refusing to help Christy escape?
6. What does Christy fight with his father about that results in Christy hitting him over the head?
7. What occurs between Christy and Old Mahon when the crowd arrives and learns the truth?
8. What does Pegeen lament at the end of the play?
9. What do Michael and Shaun report has finally arrived?
10. Describe the irony in the villagers enthusiasm and acceptance of Christy Mahon.
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)