|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. A second rivalry in act one involves:
(a) Christy Mahon and Shawn Keogh.
(b) The Widow Quin and Shawn Keogh.
(c) Shawn Keogh and Michael James.
(d) The Old Mahon and Christy Mahon.
2. Shawn reacts to Christy's employment by:
(b) Threatening to kill Christy.
(c) Calling Christy a liar.
(d) Offering to stay with Pegeen.
3. Michael offers Christy a job as:
(a) A delivery boy.
(b) A pall bearer.
(c) A peeler.
(d) A pot boy.
4. The play was first published in the year:
(a) After the author's death in 1909.
5. Christy describes himself to Pegeen and the men as:
(a) A ladies man.
(b) A simple, God fearing, farm boy.
(c) A Godforsaken orphan.
(d) His Mother's favorite.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Act 1, Pegeen is complaining because:
2. The most significant conflict at the end of Act 1 is:
3. The responsibility of barkeep in Michael James' establishment falls to:
4. Pegeen's formal name is:
5. The term "peelers" refers to:
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the mood in Act 1.
2. What items does Pegeen say she requires in the letter she writes?
3. Describe the relationship between Pegeen and her father, Michael.
4. What do Michael and Shaun report has finally arrived?
5. Why does Shawn refuse to stay with Pegeen, even after Michael Flaherty tries to force him to stay?
6. What is a comfort to the Widow Quin at the end of Act 2?
7. What function do Michael Flaherty and his friends, Philly and Jimmy perform at the wake of Kate Cassidy?
8. What does the Widow Quin mean when she calls Christy "The Playboy of the Western World?"
9. What does Pegeen imagine Christy's life must have been like before she meets him?
10. What changes Pegeen's mind about marriage to Christy?
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)