|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The play was first published in the year:
(c) After the author's death in 1909.
2. Christy describes himself to Pegeen and the men as:
(a) A simple, God fearing, farm boy.
(b) His Mother's favorite.
(c) A Godforsaken orphan.
(d) A ladies man.
3. In Act 1, Pegeen is engaged to marry:
(a) Shawn Keogh.
(b) Christy Mahon.
(c) No one.
(d) Michael James Flaherty.
4. Which of the following could be considered to have a significant impact on the characters' lives?
5. When the characters use the term "himself" they are referring to:
(a) A widow's dead husband.
(d) The master of the house.
Short Answer Questions
1. The character of Christy is portrayed as:
2. When Pegeen asks Christy if he is attracting many girls after telling his story, he replies:
3. Once she is alone with Christy, Pegeen spends a great deal of time:
4. Michael James and his friends Jimmy and Philly are in a hurry to leave so that they can:
5. Pegeen's approximate age in the play is:
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pegeen imagine Christy's life must have been like before she meets him?
2. What does Christy fight with his father about that results in Christy hitting him over the head?
3. Describe the mood in Act 1.
4. How does Old Mahon finally see Christy?
5. Explain the role that religion plays in the story?
6. Describe Pegeen's personality.
7. What does Philly begin to realize before he leaves to follow Old Mahon?
8. What occurs between Christy and Old Mahon when the crowd arrives and learns the truth?
9. What does the Widow learn from Old Mahon about Christy's former love life?
10. What is Christy's reaction when his father enters the pub?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)