|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The term "peelers" refers to:
(a) The police.
(b) Renegade soldiers.
(d) Chicken thieves.
2. Pegeen is like her father in that they are both:
(b) Kind hearted.
3. Once she is alone with Christy, Pegeen spends a great deal of time:
(a) Sweet talking him.
(b) Asking him about his old girlfriends.
(c) Discussing her engagement with Shawn.
(d) Discussing her plot to kill her father.
4. The character of Christy is portrayed as:
(a) A cold blooded murderer.
(b) Brave and heroic.
(c) A dunce.
(d) Young and naive.
5. The issue of Christy going home with the Widow Quin is resolved when:
(a) Shawn decides to stay with Christy and Pegeen.
(b) The Widow Quin decides to stay with Christy and Pegeen.
(c) Christy falls asleep.
(d) Christy says he wants to stay with Pegeen.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Pegeen says to Shawn, "Go on, then, to Father Reilly, and let him put you in the holy brotherhoods, and leave that lad to me," what emotion is she displaying?
2. Act 1 begins with Pegeen:
3. Christy Mahon's big secret is that:
4. Considering the Irish dialect used by the author, the term "da" means:
5. Christy is served a supper of:
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Shawn refuse to stay with Pegeen, even after Michael Flaherty tries to force him to stay?
2. What does the Christy promise to do if the Widow helps him?
3. Why do Jimmy, Philly, and Michael James think that Christy will make a suitable potboy?
4. What is fueling Christy's newfound confidence?
5. What function do Michael Flaherty and his friends, Philly and Jimmy perform at the wake of Kate Cassidy?
6. What does Philly begin to realize before he leaves to follow Old Mahon?
7. Describe the Widow Quin's character in terms of doing people favors.
8. What is Pegeen's reason for refusing to help Christy escape?
9. What change occurs in Christy and Old Mahon's relationship by the end of the act?
10. What gives Christy "a new arrogance?"
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)