|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do both Shawn and Michael James claim to hear from a ditch on the side of the road that evening?
(b) A rabid dog growling.
(c) Someone groaning.
(d) A wolf howling.
2. When Pegeen says to Shawn, "Go on, then, to Father Reilly, and let him put you in the holy brotherhoods, and leave that lad to me," what emotion is she displaying?
3. The author's dialogue and description of the night gives what impression?
(a) It is not safe to be out after dark.
(b) It is a perfect time for visiting neighbors.
(c) It is peaceful and serene.
(d) It is the most exciting time of day.
4. Christy tells Pegeen that his father:
(a) was in an asylum.
(b) had passed on years ago.
(c) was always cursing and assaulting people.
(d) was a God fearing man.
5. When Pegeen asks Christy if he is attracting many girls after telling his story, he replies:
(a) "No, just the Widow Quin."
(b) "Yes, they won't leave me be."
(d) "I haven't told my story no place till this night."
Short Answer Questions
1. Act 1 begins with Pegeen:
2. Christy responds to Pegeen with, "We're alike so" after she tells him:
3. Christy Mahon's big secret is that:
4. The issue of Christy going home with the Widow Quin is resolved when:
5. Christy describes himself to Pegeen and the men as:
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Shawn's reaction to Christy being offered the job as potboy.
2. What do Shawn's reservations about staying with Pegeen before their marriage suggest about his character?
3. Why is dispensation needed for Shawn to marry Pegeen?
4. Explain how Christy says he murdered his da.
5. Describe the Widow Quin's character in terms of doing people favors.
6. What occurs between Christy and Old Mahon when the crowd arrives and learns the truth?
7. What items does Pegeen say she requires in the letter she writes?
8. What does Christy fight with his father about that results in Christy hitting him over the head?
9. What gives Christy "a new arrogance?"
10. Why is Christy so upset to see his father in the village?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)