|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. A second rivalry in act one involves:
(a) Shawn Keogh and Michael James.
(b) The Old Mahon and Christy Mahon.
(c) Christy Mahon and Shawn Keogh.
(d) The Widow Quin and Shawn Keogh.
2. Michael offers Christy a job as:
(a) A pot boy.
(b) A pall bearer.
(c) A delivery boy.
(d) A peeler.
3. At the end of Act 1, Christy thinks to himself:
(a) "Wasn't I a foolish fellow to run this far from home."
(b) "Wasn't I a foolish fellow not to go home with the Widow Quin."
(c) "Wasn't I a foolish fellow to tell these folks of my murderous deed."
(d) "Wasn't I a foolish fellow not to kill my father in years gone by."
4. The most significant conflict at the end of Act 1 is:
(a) The Widow Quin wants to take Christy home.
(b) Michael James has had too much to drink at the wake.
(c) Christy has run away from home.
(d) Pegeen is flirting with Christy when she is engaged to someone else.
5. Shawn Keogh's nickname is:
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Michael James expect Shawn to do in Michael's absence?
2. In his first conversation with Pegeen, Shawn's character is revealed as that of a:
3. Shawn reacts to Christy's employment by:
4. Pegeen is referred to as "Pegeen Mike" in the story because:
5. Pegeen's father is going out for the evening to:
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Old Mahon's story arouse suspicion for Philly?
2. What items does Pegeen say she requires in the letter she writes?
3. What function do Michael Flaherty and his friends, Philly and Jimmy perform at the wake of Kate Cassidy?
4. What is significant about Old Mahon's description of his son?
5. What changes Pegeen's mind about marriage to Christy?
6. Why is it not in Christy's best interests to tell everyone the story of how he murdered his dad?
7. Why does the Widow Quin feel she would be a better fit for Christy than Pegeen?
8. What do Michael and Shaun report has finally arrived?
9. What is the nature of Christy and Pegeen's conversation after the crowd disperses in Act 3?
10. Describe how Pegeen gets Christy to tell them why he is running from the police.
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)