|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Pegeen's discussion with Christy after her father leaves is interrupted by:
(a) Old Mahon.
(b) The peelers.
(d) The Widow Quin.
2. The author's dialogue and description of the night gives what impression?
(a) It is peaceful and serene.
(b) It is the most exciting time of day.
(c) It is not safe to be out after dark.
(d) It is a perfect time for visiting neighbors.
3. When Pegeen asks Christy if he is attracting many girls after telling his story, he replies:
(a) "I haven't told my story no place till this night."
(c) "Yes, they won't leave me be."
(d) "No, just the Widow Quin."
4. There is a rivalry for Christy's attentions between:
(a) Margaret and Shaneen.
(b) Pegeen and the Widow Quin.
(c) Pegeen and Sarah Tansey.
(d) The Widow Quin and Shaneen.
5. The Widow Quin tells Christy that Pegeen is:
(a) Not a christian.
(b) Engaged to be married.
(c) A Widow herself.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Michael James expect Shawn to do in Michael's absence?
2. Michael James and his friends Jimmy and Philly are in a hurry to leave so that they can:
3. As Michael James meets and converses with Christy, he addresses him as:
4. Christy responds to Pegeen with, "We're alike so" after she tells him:
5. In his first conversation with Pegeen, Shawn's character is revealed as that of a:
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Christy so upset to see his father in the village?
2. What deal does the Widow Quin offer in exchange for her help with Shaun's problem?
3. What is Christy's reaction when his father enters the pub?
4. Describe the irony in the villagers enthusiasm and acceptance of Christy Mahon.
5. Why is it not in Christy's best interests to tell everyone the story of how he murdered his dad?
6. What occurs between Christy and Old Mahon when the crowd arrives and learns the truth?
7. How does the Widow try to dissuade Philly and Jimmy from following Old Mahon?
8. What is Michael's reaction to Pegeen's change of heart?
9. How does Christy react when he offered the job as potboy?
10. Describe the Widow Quin's character in terms of doing people favors.
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)