|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Pegeen attempts to discredit the Widow Quin by accusing her of:
(a) Killing her father.
(b) Burying her husband.
(c) Poaching chickens.
(d) Being a spy for Father Reilly.
2. Shawn Keogh's nickname is:
3. Pegeen imagines that Christy must have the temperament of:
(a) A rattle snake ready to attack its next victim.
(b) A plow horse full of patience.
(c) A man filled with blind rage.
(d) A dead fish.
4. Michael offers Christy a job as:
(a) A delivery boy.
(b) A peeler.
(c) A pall bearer.
(d) A pot boy.
5. At the end of the first evening, Christy is pleased because:
(a) He has been fed.
(b) He has found a job.
(c) Two women are fighting over him.
(d) He has found his cousin, Shawn.
Short Answer Questions
1. Pegeen's wedding is on hold until her fiance receives:
2. Pegeen's formal name is:
3. The setting of Act 1 takes place:
4. At the beginning of Act 1, Pegeen is complaining because:
5. The length of time covered in Act 1 is:
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Old Mahon's story arouse suspicion for Philly?
2. Explain the role that religion plays in the story?
3. What does the Widow Quin mean when she calls Christy "The Playboy of the Western World?"
4. What does Philly begin to realize before he leaves to follow Old Mahon?
5. What finally saves Christy from being hanged?
6. How do Philly and Jimmy appear to feel about Christy?
7. What do Michael and Shaun report has finally arrived?
8. What is Christy's reaction when his father enters the pub?
9. What gives Christy "a new arrogance?"
10. What does the Widow learn from Old Mahon about Christy's former love life?
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)