|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Pegeen's father is going out for the evening to:
(b) Go hunting.
(c) Kate Cassidy's wake.
(d) Visit the Widow Quin.
2. As Michael James meets and converses with Christy, he addresses him as:
(a) Divil boy.
(b) Queer lad.
(c) Mister honey.
3. The term "peelers" refers to:
(a) The police.
(b) Chicken thieves.
(c) Renegade soldiers.
4. A common greeting amongst the characters is:
(a) May the Saints Joseph, Patrick, Bridgid and James have mercy!
(b) God bless you!
(c) The divil a one!
(d) For the love of Almighty God!
5. Pegeen's discussion with Christy after her father leaves is interrupted by:
(a) The peelers.
(b) The Widow Quin.
(d) Old Mahon.
Short Answer Questions
1. The setting of Act 1 takes place:
2. Once she is alone with Christy, Pegeen spends a great deal of time:
3. What do both Shawn and Michael James claim to hear from a ditch on the side of the road that evening?
4. When Pegeen says to Shawn, "Go on, then, to Father Reilly, and let him put you in the holy brotherhoods, and leave that lad to me," what emotion is she displaying?
5. The author's dialogue and description of the night gives what impression?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Widow Quin feel she would be a better fit for Christy than Pegeen?
2. What is Michael's reaction to Pegeen's change of heart?
3. What does the Widow Quin mean when she calls Christy "The Playboy of the Western World?"
4. What do Shawn's reservations about staying with Pegeen before their marriage suggest about his character?
5. Describe the manner in which Pegeen treats Shawn and explain why.
6. What is the nature of Christy and Pegeen's conversation after the crowd disperses in Act 3?
7. What deal does the Widow Quin offer in exchange for her help with Shaun's problem?
8. What is Christy's reaction when his father enters the pub?
9. Why does Shawn refuse to stay with Pegeen, even after Michael Flaherty tries to force him to stay?
10. Describe how Pegeen gets Christy to tell them why he is running from the police.
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)