|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Act 1, Pegeen is engaged to marry:
(a) No one.
(b) Shawn Keogh.
(c) Michael James Flaherty.
(d) Christy Mahon.
2. Which of the following could be considered to have a significant impact on the characters' lives?
3. A "shebeen" is a:
(a) Female of ill repute.
(c) Makeshift country inn.
(d) Vegetable grown for irish stew.
4. Christy responds to Pegeen with, "We're alike so" after she tells him:
(a) She wants to get married.
(b) She wants to marry young.
(c) She can't wait to leave town.
(d) She is going to kill her father.
5. The term "peelers" refers to:
(a) Renegade soldiers.
(b) The police.
(c) Chicken thieves.
Short Answer Questions
1. Pegeen's formal name is:
2. Pegeen's relationship with her father can be described as:
3. When Pegeen and the men hear Christy's secret, they are:
4. Once she is alone with Christy, Pegeen spends a great deal of time:
5. The play was first published in the year:
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Pegeen's response when Christy asks twice if she is engaged.
2. What change occurs in Christy and Old Mahon's relationship by the end of the act?
3. What does the Widow learn from Old Mahon about Christy's former love life?
4. Why didn't Old Mahon leave town?
5. What plan do Christy and the Widow devise when Old Mahon comes to town looking for Christy?
6. What does the Widow Quin mean when she calls Christy "The Playboy of the Western World?"
7. Describe the irony in the villagers enthusiasm and acceptance of Christy Mahon.
8. What is the nature of Christy and Pegeen's conversation after the crowd disperses in Act 3?
9. Describe the two rivalries that are apparent by Act II.
10. What items does Pegeen say she requires in the letter she writes?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)