|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Christy tells the Widow Quin:
(a) He negotiates for more gifts.
(b) She is too old for him.
(c) He will think about it.
(d) He only has love for Pegeen.
2. During the girls' discussion of the boots, Sara Tansey:
(a) Flings the door open and threatens to shoot Christy.
(b) Tries the boots on and considers keeping them.
(c) Suggests they wait for Pegeen to return.
(d) Makes coffee.
3. What is the mood in Act II?
4. The villagers seem very religious, yet they treat Christy with:
(a) Awe for his bravery.
(b) Kindness because his father was cruel.
(c) Patience because he is not as devout as they are.
(d) Pity because he is poorer than they are.
5. The motivation for sending the girls to meet Christy is:
(a) To ask if he really is a murderer.
(b) The hope that he will like one of them better than Pegeen.
(c) To bring him back to the Widow Quin's house.
(d) To spy on him.
6. When the village girls come to meet Christy, the one item they do not bring him is?
(a) Duck eggs.
7. Which character in the story seems to have the most self-doubt?
(b) Old Mahon.
8. The character who is most unbending about his or her religious beliefs is:
(b) Michael Flaherty.
9. Which of the following would not be offered in trade for a favor by the characters in the play?
10. What is Christy's reaction to his father?
(a) Angry that he pretended to be dead.
(b) Afraid that he will be punished by God.
(c) Guilty for hurting him.
(d) Embarrassed about not doing a good job.
11. What is poteen?
(a) Potato stew.
(b) Potato alcohol.
(c) Rancid wine.
(d) Illicit whiskey.
12. Christy tells Pegeen that he doesn't want to leave because:
(a) His blistered feet still hurt.
(b) He is afraid to walk the streets alone.
(c) He will be lonesome without her.
(d) He is afraid Shawn will hurt her.
13. When Pegeen warns Christy not to tell everybody of his crime or he might have to leave, he surprises her by:
(a) Speaking to her romantically.
(b) Telling her she is worrying needlessly.
(d) Saying that he made it all up.
14. What is Christy worried about after Old Mahon leaves?
(a) That he will be turned in to the police.
(b) What Pegeen will think of him when she hears the story.
(c) That Old Mahon will return for him.
(d) That he will be late for the games.
15. Which of the following characters could be described as the most impulsive?
(a) Christy Mahon
(b) Old Mahon
(c) The Widow Quin
(d) Shawn Keogh
Short Answer Questions
1. When Christy and Pegeen talk about what their life might be like together, they are:
2. Christy tells the girls and the Widow Quin that his father wanted him to:
3. The setting change from night in Act 1 to morning in Act II has an effect on what?
4. Although Christy is not there when the girls enter the house, they know he has been there because they find his boots, which are:
5. Where does the Widow Quin tell Old Mahon that Christy is?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)