|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Christy say his father did just before Christy struck him?
(a) Grounded him.
(b) Swung a scythe at him.
(c) Punched him.
(d) Cursed at him.
2. What happens each time Christy tells his story?
(a) Another village member wants to marry him.
(b) It becomes more dramatic.
(c) He adds more lies to it.
(d) He cries.
3. A literary term for Pegeen's warning to Christy about what will happen if he keeps telling his story is?
4. Act II opens with Christy performing what activity?
(a) Answering the door to a group of young women.
(b) Polishing Pegeen's boots.
(d) Polishing his boots.
5. Christy tells Pegeen that he doesn't want to leave because:
(a) He is afraid Shawn will hurt her.
(b) He is afraid to walk the streets alone.
(c) His blistered feet still hurt.
(d) He will be lonesome without her.
6. In what way does Christy demonstrate courage in Act II?
(a) He strikes a beggar that is bothering Pegeen.
(b) He admits his crime to the police.
(c) He tells the Widow Quin to leave him alone.
(d) He professes his love for Pegeen.
7. When the village girls arrive, they interrupt Christy as he is:
(c) Trying to escape.
(d) Admiring himself in a mirror.
8. What does Old Mahon insist the Widow Quin examine?
(a) His son.
(b) His mind.
(c) His hat.
(d) His head.
9. Which of the following characters could be described as the most impulsive?
(a) The Widow Quin
(b) Old Mahon
(c) Christy Mahon
(d) Shawn Keogh
10. What does Christy see out the window just as he is about to join the races?
(a) Old Mahon.
(b) The peelers.
(c) Pegeen kissing Shawn.
(d) A black cloud.
11. What does the mirror at the beginning of the scene symbolize?
(a) Christy's two-faced personality.
(b) Christy's reflective personality.
(c) Christy's vanity.
(d) Christy's habit of always looking back.
12. At the end of Act II, Christy is summoned by:
(a) The peelers.
(b) The village girls.
(c) Father Reilly.
13. Which character can be described as a character foil for Pegeen?
(a) James Flaherty.
(b) The Widow Quin.
14. What is poteen?
(a) Illicit whiskey.
(b) Rancid wine.
(c) Potato alcohol.
(d) Potato stew.
15. When Christy comes out of the back room, the girls:
(a) Scream and run away.
(b) Condemn him for his lack of Godly morals.
(c) Tell him he should marry the Widow Quin.
(d) Welcome him and offer him food they have brought him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Christy worried about after Old Mahon leaves?
2. The conflict that appears in Act II is:
3. The villagers seem very religious, yet they treat Christy with:
4. Which of the following concepts best fit the play?
5. What is the mood in Act II?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)