|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Old Mahon describe Christy's personality?
(b) Hot tempered.
(c) Foolish and timid.
2. The majority of the characters' dialogues include:
(b) Blessing the Lord.
(c) Fowl language.
3. Which of the following would not be offered in trade for a favor by the characters in the play?
4. Christy leaves Pegeen's house to go:
(a) Down to join in the races.
(b) Find Michael Flaherty.
(c) Follow Old Mahon and finish him off.
(d) To be blessed.
5. A literary term for Pegeen's warning to Christy about what will happen if he keeps telling his story is?
6. When Pegeen warns Christy not to tell everybody of his crime or he might have to leave, he surprises her by:
(a) Telling her she is worrying needlessly.
(c) Saying that he made it all up.
(d) Speaking to her romantically.
7. Which of the following characters could be described as the most impulsive?
(a) The Widow Quin
(b) Old Mahon
(c) Shawn Keogh
(d) Christy Mahon
8. Although Christy is not there when the girls enter the house, they know he has been there because they find his boots, which are:
(a) Falling apart.
(c) Still warm.
(d) Covered in mud, turf and sea sand.
9. Why was Pegeen angry with Christy for speaking with the girls and the Widow Quin?
(a) She was afraid they might hire him for more than she could pay.
(b) She was afraid she would lose the bounty for his head.
(c) She was jealous.
(d) He wouldn't pretend to like her to make Shawn jealous.
10. What is Pegeen's reaction when she enters her home to find the village girls toasting Christy and the Widow Quin?
(a) She chases them out with a broom.
(b) She tries to get them to take Christy with them.
(c) She is not pleased.
(d) She is thankful for their help.
11. What is the mood in Act II?
12. Who is "The Playboy of the Western World?"
(a) Michael Flaherty
(b) Old Mahon
(c) Christy Mahon
(d) Shaneen Keogh
13. Why does Shawn say Christy and Pegeen don't suit each other?
(a) Christy is too short.
(b) They will be strangling each other in a score of days.
(c) They are too much alike.
(d) Pegeen is fickle.
14. What does Christy say his father did just before Christy struck him?
(a) Cursed at him.
(b) Grounded him.
(c) Punched him.
(d) Swung a scythe at him.
15. When the village girls arrive, they interrupt Christy as he is:
(a) Admiring himself in a mirror.
(b) Trying to escape.
Short Answer Questions
1. The villagers seem very religious, yet they treat Christy with:
2. What would the Widow Quin not have Christy do if he came to live with her?
3. The Widow Quin enters the scene and suggests that he tell all of them his story while:
4. Which character tells the village girls about Christy and sends them to meet him?
5. Pegeen punishes Christy for being friendly to the girls by:
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)