|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Pegeen's village is located:
(a) On the coast.
(b) In the mountains.
(c) In a valley.
(d) In the desert.
2. Although Christy is not there when the girls enter the house, they know he has been there because they find his boots, which are:
(a) Falling apart.
(c) Still warm.
(d) Covered in mud, turf and sea sand.
3. What does Christy see out the window just as he is about to join the races?
(a) Old Mahon.
(b) Pegeen kissing Shawn.
(c) A black cloud.
(d) The peelers.
4. Act II opens with Christy performing what activity?
(a) Polishing his boots.
(b) Polishing Pegeen's boots.
(c) Answering the door to a group of young women.
5. In what way does Christy demonstrate courage in Act II?
(a) He tells the Widow Quin to leave him alone.
(b) He strikes a beggar that is bothering Pegeen.
(c) He professes his love for Pegeen.
(d) He admits his crime to the police.
6. Why has Old Mahon come to Pegeen's home?
(a) To beat his son and bring him home.
(b) To apologize.
(c) To find a wife.
(d) To attend Pegeen's wedding.
7. Which character in the story seems to have the most self-doubt?
(c) Old Mahon.
8. Christy leaves Pegeen's house to go:
(a) To be blessed.
(b) Follow Old Mahon and finish him off.
(c) Find Michael Flaherty.
(d) Down to join in the races.
9. What does the mirror at the beginning of the scene symbolize?
(a) Christy's habit of always looking back.
(b) Christy's vanity.
(c) Christy's two-faced personality.
(d) Christy's reflective personality.
10. Which of the following characters could be described as the most impulsive?
(a) Shawn Keogh
(b) The Widow Quin
(c) Christy Mahon
(d) Old Mahon
11. Christy's demeanor as he tells his story can be described as which of the following?
12. The setting change from night in Act 1 to morning in Act II has an effect on what?
13. Pegeen punishes Christy for being friendly to the girls by:
(a) Not speaking to him.
(b) Banishing him from her home.
(c) Making him scrub the dishes.
(d) Telling the details of the hanging of a man who killed his da.
14. How does Old Mahon describe Christy's personality?
(a) Foolish and timid.
(d) Hot tempered.
15. What does Christy say his father did just before Christy struck him?
(a) Swung a scythe at him.
(b) Punched him.
(c) Cursed at him.
(d) Grounded him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Shawn's plan for Christy?
2. When the village girls arrive, they interrupt Christy as he is:
3. When Act II opens, what is the time of day?
4. During the girls' discussion of the boots, Sara Tansey:
5. The conflict that appears in Act II is:
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)