|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character can be described as a character foil for Pegeen?
(c) James Flaherty.
(d) The Widow Quin.
2. In what way does Christy demonstrate courage in Act II?
(a) He tells the Widow Quin to leave him alone.
(b) He strikes a beggar that is bothering Pegeen.
(c) He professes his love for Pegeen.
(d) He admits his crime to the police.
3. Christy tells the girls and the Widow Quin that his father wanted him to:
(a) Move out.
(b) Marry an old, overweight, half blind, widow of ill repute.
(c) Wed the young girl next door so that he would have a maid.
(d) Plow his four acres of potatoes without a horse.
4. Christy tells Pegeen that he doesn't want to leave because:
(a) He will be lonesome without her.
(b) His blistered feet still hurt.
(c) He is afraid Shawn will hurt her.
(d) He is afraid to walk the streets alone.
5. Pegeen punishes Christy for being friendly to the girls by:
(a) Telling the details of the hanging of a man who killed his da.
(b) Banishing him from her home.
(c) Making him scrub the dishes.
(d) Not speaking to him.
6. What happens each time Christy tells his story?
(a) It becomes more dramatic.
(b) Another village member wants to marry him.
(c) He adds more lies to it.
(d) He cries.
7. The conflict that appears in Act II is:
(a) Pegeen cannot decide between Shawn and Christy.
(b) Old Mahon shows up to take Christy back home.
(c) Pegeen and the Widow Quin are fighting over Christy.
(d) Christy can't decide whether he should tell Pegeen the truth.
8. When Pegeen rushes out to tend to her sheep crisis, what does Shawn offer to Christy to leave?
(b) His help.
(c) The Widow Quin.
(d) A bribe.
9. When Pegeen warns Christy not to tell everybody of his crime or he might have to leave, he surprises her by:
(b) Saying that he made it all up.
(c) Telling her she is worrying needlessly.
(d) Speaking to her romantically.
10. When the village girls come to meet Christy, the one item they do not bring him is?
(d) Duck eggs.
11. What does Christy say his father did just before Christy struck him?
(a) Swung a scythe at him.
(b) Cursed at him.
(c) Grounded him.
(d) Punched him.
12. Which of the following concepts best fit the play?
(b) Good versus evil.
(c) Love scorned.
(d) Life or death situations.
13. The setting change from night in Act 1 to morning in Act II has an effect on what?
14. Why does Shawn say Christy and Pegeen don't suit each other?
(a) They will be strangling each other in a score of days.
(b) They are too much alike.
(c) Pegeen is fickle.
(d) Christy is too short.
15. When Christy and Pegeen talk about what their life might be like together, they are:
(b) Preparing to run away together.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why has Old Mahon come to Pegeen's home?
2. Which character has the most at stake due to the appearance of Christy?
3. Which character tells the village girls about Christy and sends them to meet him?
4. Act II opens with Christy performing what activity?
5. At the end of Act II, Christy is summoned by:
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)