|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Old Mahon insist the Widow Quin examine?
(a) His head.
(b) His mind.
(c) His son.
(d) His hat.
2. A literary term for Pegeen's warning to Christy about what will happen if he keeps telling his story is?
3. The character who is most unbending about his or her religious beliefs is:
(d) Michael Flaherty.
4. The setting change from night in Act 1 to morning in Act II has an effect on what?
5. What is Christy worried about after Old Mahon leaves?
(a) That he will be turned in to the police.
(b) That he will be late for the games.
(c) That Old Mahon will return for him.
(d) What Pegeen will think of him when she hears the story.
6. The Widow Quin enters the scene and suggests that he tell all of them his story while:
(a) She stalls for time.
(b) They make him breakfast.
(c) Pegeen sends for the police.
(d) Michael James sleeps off his hangover.
7. What does Christy see out the window just as he is about to join the races?
(a) Pegeen kissing Shawn.
(b) Old Mahon.
(c) The peelers.
(d) A black cloud.
8. When Christy and Pegeen talk about what their life might be like together, they are:
(c) Preparing to run away together.
9. What does Christy say his father did just before Christy struck him?
(a) Swung a scythe at him.
(b) Grounded him.
(c) Cursed at him.
(d) Punched him.
10. Christy tells the girls and the Widow Quin that his father wanted him to:
(a) Plow his four acres of potatoes without a horse.
(b) Marry an old, overweight, half blind, widow of ill repute.
(c) Move out.
(d) Wed the young girl next door so that he would have a maid.
11. Where is Christy in actuality while the Widow Quin is taking to Old Mahon?
(a) Down below at the races.
(b) Behind the door.
(c) At church.
(d) Under the bed.
12. Why does Shawn say Christy and Pegeen don't suit each other?
(a) They are too much alike.
(b) Pegeen is fickle.
(c) They will be strangling each other in a score of days.
(d) Christy is too short.
13. What does the Widow Quin suggest that Old Mahon do?
(a) Follow Christy quickly before the tide comes in.
(b) Marry her.
(c) Stay and rest for a few days.
(d) Pray for him.
14. Which character tells the village girls about Christy and sends them to meet him?
(b) Father Reilly.
(d) The Widow Quin.
15. What does the mirror at the beginning of the scene symbolize?
(a) Christy's two-faced personality.
(b) Christy's vanity.
(c) Christy's reflective personality.
(d) Christy's habit of always looking back.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the village girls come to meet Christy, the one item they do not bring him is?
2. What is Pegeen's reaction when she enters her home to find the village girls toasting Christy and the Widow Quin?
3. The motivation for sending the girls to meet Christy is:
4. The people of Pegeen's village can be characterized as:
5. During the girls' discussion of the boots, Sara Tansey:
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)