|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Act II opens, what is the time of day?
(a) High noon.
(b) Afternoon tea time.
(c) Morning light.
2. Pegeen's village is located:
(a) In the desert.
(b) In the mountains.
(c) On the coast.
(d) In a valley.
3. Christy tells the girls and the Widow Quin that his father wanted him to:
(a) Wed the young girl next door so that he would have a maid.
(b) Plow his four acres of potatoes without a horse.
(c) Marry an old, overweight, half blind, widow of ill repute.
(d) Move out.
4. Which character can be described as a character foil for Pegeen?
(a) James Flaherty.
(d) The Widow Quin.
5. What is Pegeen's reaction when she enters her home to find the village girls toasting Christy and the Widow Quin?
(a) She chases them out with a broom.
(b) She is not pleased.
(c) She tries to get them to take Christy with them.
(d) She is thankful for their help.
6. What does the Widow Quin suggest that Old Mahon do?
(a) Marry her.
(b) Pray for him.
(c) Stay and rest for a few days.
(d) Follow Christy quickly before the tide comes in.
7. What happens each time Christy tells his story?
(a) He cries.
(b) It becomes more dramatic.
(c) Another village member wants to marry him.
(d) He adds more lies to it.
8. Christy leaves Pegeen's house to go:
(a) Find Michael Flaherty.
(b) Down to join in the races.
(c) To be blessed.
(d) Follow Old Mahon and finish him off.
9. When Christy and Pegeen talk about what their life might be like together, they are:
(c) Preparing to run away together.
10. Pegeen punishes Christy for being friendly to the girls by:
(a) Making him scrub the dishes.
(b) Telling the details of the hanging of a man who killed his da.
(c) Not speaking to him.
(d) Banishing him from her home.
11. Which character comes up with the idea of entering Christy into the races and games?
(a) Sara Tansey.
(b) The Widow Quin.
(d) Shawn Keogh
12. At the end of Act II, Christy is summoned by:
(a) The village girls.
(c) Father Reilly.
(d) The peelers.
13. Why has Old Mahon come to Pegeen's home?
(a) To find a wife.
(b) To beat his son and bring him home.
(c) To apologize.
(d) To attend Pegeen's wedding.
14. Where does the Widow Quin tell Old Mahon that Christy is?
(a) Gone over the hills to catch a steamer.
(b) Down to the shore to play in the games.
(c) She has never seen him.
(d) Back home to turn himself in.
15. Christy tells the Widow Quin:
(a) He negotiates for more gifts.
(b) He will think about it.
(c) He only has love for Pegeen.
(d) She is too old for him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Christy in actuality while the Widow Quin is taking to Old Mahon?
2. In what way does Christy demonstrate courage in Act II?
3. What Christy offer the Widow Quin if she will help him win Pegeen?
4. Act II opens with Christy performing what activity?
5. What is the most significant plot change in Act II?
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)