|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Christy say his father did just before Christy struck him?
(a) Cursed at him.
(b) Grounded him.
(c) Punched him.
(d) Swung a scythe at him.
2. A literary term for Pegeen's warning to Christy about what will happen if he keeps telling his story is?
3. The Widow Quin enters the scene and suggests that he tell all of them his story while:
(a) Pegeen sends for the police.
(b) She stalls for time.
(c) Michael James sleeps off his hangover.
(d) They make him breakfast.
4. The conflict that appears in Act II is:
(a) Christy can't decide whether he should tell Pegeen the truth.
(b) Pegeen and the Widow Quin are fighting over Christy.
(c) Pegeen cannot decide between Shawn and Christy.
(d) Old Mahon shows up to take Christy back home.
5. Which character has the most at stake due to the appearance of Christy?
(a) Old Mahon.
(b) The Widow Quin.
6. The majority of the characters' dialogues include:
(a) Fowl language.
(b) Blessing the Lord.
7. What Christy offer the Widow Quin if she will help him win Pegeen?
(b) Prayers that will get her to heaven at the time of her death.
(c) A job at Pegeen's once they are wed.
(d) A path on his property that leads to the river.
8. Which of the following concepts best fit the play?
(a) Life or death situations.
(c) Love scorned.
(d) Good versus evil.
9. Which character can be described as a character foil for Pegeen?
(b) James Flaherty.
(d) The Widow Quin.
10. When Christy comes out of the back room, the girls:
(a) Scream and run away.
(b) Welcome him and offer him food they have brought him.
(c) Condemn him for his lack of Godly morals.
(d) Tell him he should marry the Widow Quin.
11. The villagers seem very religious, yet they treat Christy with:
(a) Patience because he is not as devout as they are.
(b) Awe for his bravery.
(c) Kindness because his father was cruel.
(d) Pity because he is poorer than they are.
12. What is Christy's reaction to his father?
(a) Afraid that he will be punished by God.
(b) Angry that he pretended to be dead.
(c) Embarrassed about not doing a good job.
(d) Guilty for hurting him.
13. Why was Pegeen angry with Christy for speaking with the girls and the Widow Quin?
(a) She was afraid she would lose the bounty for his head.
(b) She was jealous.
(c) She was afraid they might hire him for more than she could pay.
(d) He wouldn't pretend to like her to make Shawn jealous.
14. What does the Widow Quin suggest that Old Mahon do?
(a) Stay and rest for a few days.
(b) Follow Christy quickly before the tide comes in.
(c) Pray for him.
(d) Marry her.
15. What does the mirror at the beginning of the scene symbolize?
(a) Christy's reflective personality.
(b) Christy's habit of always looking back.
(c) Christy's two-faced personality.
(d) Christy's vanity.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Shawn's plan for Christy?
2. Who is "The Playboy of the Western World?"
3. What does Christy see out the window just as he is about to join the races?
4. The people of Pegeen's village can be characterized as:
5. Which character tells the village girls about Christy and sends them to meet him?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)