|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Christy in actuality while the Widow Quin is taking to Old Mahon?
(a) At church.
(b) Down below at the races.
(c) Under the bed.
(d) Behind the door.
2. What do the girls from the village want from Christy?
(a) To punish Pegeen.
(b) His money.
(c) His advice.
(d) His attentions.
3. Which character can be described as a character foil for Pegeen?
(a) James Flaherty.
(b) The Widow Quin.
4. When Pegeen warns Christy not to tell everybody of his crime or he might have to leave, he surprises her by:
(a) Speaking to her romantically.
(c) Saying that he made it all up.
(d) Telling her she is worrying needlessly.
5. In what way does Christy demonstrate courage in Act II?
(a) He admits his crime to the police.
(b) He tells the Widow Quin to leave him alone.
(c) He strikes a beggar that is bothering Pegeen.
(d) He professes his love for Pegeen.
6. Pegeen's village is located:
(a) In a valley.
(b) In the mountains.
(c) On the coast.
(d) In the desert.
7. What is Pegeen's reaction when she enters her home to find the village girls toasting Christy and the Widow Quin?
(a) She chases them out with a broom.
(b) She tries to get them to take Christy with them.
(c) She is thankful for their help.
(d) She is not pleased.
8. Christy's demeanor as he tells his story can be described as which of the following?
9. When Christy and Pegeen talk about what their life might be like together, they are:
(b) Preparing to run away together.
10. When the village girls arrive, they interrupt Christy as he is:
(b) Admiring himself in a mirror.
(c) Trying to escape.
11. When the village girls come to meet Christy, the one item they do not bring him is?
(c) Duck eggs.
12. Why was Pegeen angry with Christy for speaking with the girls and the Widow Quin?
(a) She was jealous.
(b) He wouldn't pretend to like her to make Shawn jealous.
(c) She was afraid she would lose the bounty for his head.
(d) She was afraid they might hire him for more than she could pay.
13. Who is "The Playboy of the Western World?"
(a) Old Mahon
(b) Michael Flaherty
(c) Shaneen Keogh
(d) Christy Mahon
14. Which character has the most at stake due to the appearance of Christy?
(b) The Widow Quin.
(d) Old Mahon.
15. The term "whisht" in the character's dialect means:
(d) Stop talking.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Christy comes out of the back room, the girls:
2. Which of the following concepts best fit the play?
3. What happens each time Christy tells his story?
4. What does the Widow Quin suggest that Old Mahon do?
5. The villagers seem very religious, yet they treat Christy with:
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)