|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Christy tells the girls and the Widow Quin that his father wanted him to:
(a) Move out.
(b) Wed the young girl next door so that he would have a maid.
(c) Plow his four acres of potatoes without a horse.
(d) Marry an old, overweight, half blind, widow of ill repute.
2. Which of the following would not be offered in trade for a favor by the characters in the play?
3. What does Christy see out the window just as he is about to join the races?
(a) Old Mahon.
(b) A black cloud.
(c) The peelers.
(d) Pegeen kissing Shawn.
4. How does Old Mahon describe Christy's personality?
(a) Foolish and timid.
(d) Hot tempered.
5. When Pegeen rushes out to tend to her sheep crisis, what does Shawn offer to Christy to leave?
(b) The Widow Quin.
(c) His help.
(d) A bribe.
6. Which character tells the village girls about Christy and sends them to meet him?
(c) Father Reilly.
(d) The Widow Quin.
7. Which of the following characters could be described as the most impulsive?
(a) Shawn Keogh
(b) Christy Mahon
(c) The Widow Quin
(d) Old Mahon
8. When Christy comes out of the back room, the girls:
(a) Tell him he should marry the Widow Quin.
(b) Condemn him for his lack of Godly morals.
(c) Welcome him and offer him food they have brought him.
(d) Scream and run away.
9. The motivation for sending the girls to meet Christy is:
(a) To bring him back to the Widow Quin's house.
(b) To spy on him.
(c) The hope that he will like one of them better than Pegeen.
(d) To ask if he really is a murderer.
10. Which character comes up with the idea of entering Christy into the races and games?
(a) Shawn Keogh
(b) Sara Tansey.
(c) The Widow Quin.
11. During the girls' discussion of the boots, Sara Tansey:
(a) Suggests they wait for Pegeen to return.
(b) Makes coffee.
(c) Tries the boots on and considers keeping them.
(d) Flings the door open and threatens to shoot Christy.
12. What is Christy's reaction to his father?
(a) Guilty for hurting him.
(b) Embarrassed about not doing a good job.
(c) Angry that he pretended to be dead.
(d) Afraid that he will be punished by God.
13. Why has Old Mahon come to Pegeen's home?
(a) To attend Pegeen's wedding.
(b) To find a wife.
(c) To beat his son and bring him home.
(d) To apologize.
14. Where does the Widow Quin tell Old Mahon that Christy is?
(a) Back home to turn himself in.
(b) She has never seen him.
(c) Down to the shore to play in the games.
(d) Gone over the hills to catch a steamer.
15. A literary term for Pegeen's warning to Christy about what will happen if he keeps telling his story is?
Short Answer Questions
1. Christy's demeanor as he tells his story can be described as which of the following?
2. What is Pegeen's reaction when she enters her home to find the village girls toasting Christy and the Widow Quin?
3. When Christy and Pegeen talk about what their life might be like together, they are:
4. When the village girls arrive, they interrupt Christy as he is:
5. Who is "The Playboy of the Western World?"
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)