|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was Pegeen angry with Christy for speaking with the girls and the Widow Quin?
(a) He wouldn't pretend to like her to make Shawn jealous.
(b) She was jealous.
(c) She was afraid they might hire him for more than she could pay.
(d) She was afraid she would lose the bounty for his head.
2. A literary term for Pegeen's warning to Christy about what will happen if he keeps telling his story is?
3. Christy tells the girls and the Widow Quin that his father wanted him to:
(a) Move out.
(b) Wed the young girl next door so that he would have a maid.
(c) Marry an old, overweight, half blind, widow of ill repute.
(d) Plow his four acres of potatoes without a horse.
4. How does Old Mahon describe Christy's personality?
(a) Foolish and timid.
(b) Hot tempered.
5. What would the Widow Quin not have Christy do if he came to live with her?
(a) Build a goose house.
(c) Meet wise men.
6. Which of the following would not be offered in trade for a favor by the characters in the play?
7. Pegeen's village is located:
(a) In the mountains.
(b) In the desert.
(c) On the coast.
(d) In a valley.
8. What does the Widow Quin suggest that Old Mahon do?
(a) Pray for him.
(b) Follow Christy quickly before the tide comes in.
(c) Stay and rest for a few days.
(d) Marry her.
9. Which character comes up with the idea of entering Christy into the races and games?
(a) The Widow Quin.
(b) Shawn Keogh
(d) Sara Tansey.
10. Which character tells the village girls about Christy and sends them to meet him?
(c) Father Reilly.
(d) The Widow Quin.
11. Christy tells Pegeen that he doesn't want to leave because:
(a) He is afraid Shawn will hurt her.
(b) He will be lonesome without her.
(c) His blistered feet still hurt.
(d) He is afraid to walk the streets alone.
12. Who is "The Playboy of the Western World?"
(a) Christy Mahon
(b) Michael Flaherty
(c) Old Mahon
(d) Shaneen Keogh
13. The motivation for sending the girls to meet Christy is:
(a) The hope that he will like one of them better than Pegeen.
(b) To ask if he really is a murderer.
(c) To spy on him.
(d) To bring him back to the Widow Quin's house.
14. What is poteen?
(a) Illicit whiskey.
(b) Potato stew.
(c) Potato alcohol.
(d) Rancid wine.
15. What is Christy worried about after Old Mahon leaves?
(a) That he will be late for the games.
(b) What Pegeen will think of him when she hears the story.
(c) That he will be turned in to the police.
(d) That Old Mahon will return for him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the mood in Act II?
2. Which character can be described as a character foil for Pegeen?
3. Although Christy is not there when the girls enter the house, they know he has been there because they find his boots, which are:
4. In what way does Christy demonstrate courage in Act II?
5. What do the girls from the village want from Christy?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)