|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is "The Playboy of the Western World?"
(a) Old Mahon
(b) Michael Flaherty
(c) Shaneen Keogh
(d) Christy Mahon
2. When the village girls come to meet Christy, the one item they do not bring him is?
(d) Duck eggs.
3. What does the mirror at the beginning of the scene symbolize?
(a) Christy's reflective personality.
(b) Christy's two-faced personality.
(c) Christy's habit of always looking back.
(d) Christy's vanity.
4. Which character in the story seems to have the most self-doubt?
(c) Old Mahon.
5. What does the Widow Quin suggest that Old Mahon do?
(a) Pray for him.
(b) Follow Christy quickly before the tide comes in.
(c) Marry her.
(d) Stay and rest for a few days.
6. What happens each time Christy tells his story?
(a) It becomes more dramatic.
(b) He adds more lies to it.
(c) Another village member wants to marry him.
(d) He cries.
7. When Pegeen warns Christy not to tell everybody of his crime or he might have to leave, he surprises her by:
(a) Telling her she is worrying needlessly.
(b) Speaking to her romantically.
(c) Saying that he made it all up.
8. Christy's demeanor as he tells his story can be described as which of the following?
9. In what way does Christy demonstrate courage in Act II?
(a) He tells the Widow Quin to leave him alone.
(b) He admits his crime to the police.
(c) He strikes a beggar that is bothering Pegeen.
(d) He professes his love for Pegeen.
10. Which of the following characters could be described as the most impulsive?
(a) The Widow Quin
(b) Shawn Keogh
(c) Old Mahon
(d) Christy Mahon
11. What is Pegeen's reaction when she enters her home to find the village girls toasting Christy and the Widow Quin?
(a) She chases them out with a broom.
(b) She is thankful for their help.
(c) She is not pleased.
(d) She tries to get them to take Christy with them.
12. What is the mood in Act II?
13. Although Christy is not there when the girls enter the house, they know he has been there because they find his boots, which are:
(b) Covered in mud, turf and sea sand.
(c) Still warm.
(d) Falling apart.
14. Pegeen's village is located:
(a) On the coast.
(b) In the desert.
(c) In the mountains.
(d) In a valley.
15. When Act II opens, what is the time of day?
(a) Afternoon tea time.
(c) High noon.
(d) Morning light.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Shawn's plan for Christy?
2. Which character has the most at stake due to the appearance of Christy?
3. The motivation for sending the girls to meet Christy is:
4. When Christy comes out of the back room, the girls:
5. The Widow Quin enters the scene and suggests that he tell all of them his story while:
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)