|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The term "whisht" in the character's dialect means:
(d) Stop talking.
2. Why has Old Mahon come to Pegeen's home?
(a) To beat his son and bring him home.
(b) To attend Pegeen's wedding.
(c) To find a wife.
(d) To apologize.
3. Pegeen's village is located:
(a) In a valley.
(b) In the mountains.
(c) On the coast.
(d) In the desert.
4. Pegeen punishes Christy for being friendly to the girls by:
(a) Not speaking to him.
(b) Telling the details of the hanging of a man who killed his da.
(c) Making him scrub the dishes.
(d) Banishing him from her home.
5. When Pegeen warns Christy not to tell everybody of his crime or he might have to leave, he surprises her by:
(a) Telling her she is worrying needlessly.
(c) Saying that he made it all up.
(d) Speaking to her romantically.
6. What does Old Mahon insist the Widow Quin examine?
(a) His son.
(b) His head.
(c) His mind.
(d) His hat.
7. Why was Pegeen angry with Christy for speaking with the girls and the Widow Quin?
(a) She was afraid they might hire him for more than she could pay.
(b) She was jealous.
(c) She was afraid she would lose the bounty for his head.
(d) He wouldn't pretend to like her to make Shawn jealous.
8. What does the Widow Quin suggest that Old Mahon do?
(a) Marry her.
(b) Follow Christy quickly before the tide comes in.
(c) Stay and rest for a few days.
(d) Pray for him.
9. What does Christy say his father did just before Christy struck him?
(a) Cursed at him.
(b) Grounded him.
(c) Punched him.
(d) Swung a scythe at him.
10. Christy tells the girls and the Widow Quin that his father wanted him to:
(a) Move out.
(b) Wed the young girl next door so that he would have a maid.
(c) Plow his four acres of potatoes without a horse.
(d) Marry an old, overweight, half blind, widow of ill repute.
11. When Christy comes out of the back room, the girls:
(a) Scream and run away.
(b) Condemn him for his lack of Godly morals.
(c) Tell him he should marry the Widow Quin.
(d) Welcome him and offer him food they have brought him.
12. What is Christy's reaction to his father?
(a) Embarrassed about not doing a good job.
(b) Afraid that he will be punished by God.
(c) Guilty for hurting him.
(d) Angry that he pretended to be dead.
13. When the village girls come to meet Christy, the one item they do not bring him is?
(b) Duck eggs.
14. A literary term for Pegeen's warning to Christy about what will happen if he keeps telling his story is?
15. When Act II opens, what is the time of day?
(a) High noon.
(c) Afternoon tea time.
(d) Morning light.
Short Answer Questions
1. The conflict that appears in Act II is:
2. The people of Pegeen's village can be characterized as:
3. The character who is most unbending about his or her religious beliefs is:
4. Which character comes up with the idea of entering Christy into the races and games?
5. What is Christy worried about after Old Mahon leaves?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)