|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the most significant plot change in Act II?
(a) Christy receives a new coat from Shawn.
(b) The appearance of Old Mahon.
(c) Christy is arrested.
(d) The Widow Quin helping Shawn.
2. Christy tells the girls and the Widow Quin that his father wanted him to:
(a) Move out.
(b) Marry an old, overweight, half blind, widow of ill repute.
(c) Wed the young girl next door so that he would have a maid.
(d) Plow his four acres of potatoes without a horse.
3. What does the mirror at the beginning of the scene symbolize?
(a) Christy's vanity.
(b) Christy's habit of always looking back.
(c) Christy's reflective personality.
(d) Christy's two-faced personality.
4. Which character can be described as a character foil for Pegeen?
(a) James Flaherty.
(b) The Widow Quin.
5. Pegeen punishes Christy for being friendly to the girls by:
(a) Telling the details of the hanging of a man who killed his da.
(b) Banishing him from her home.
(c) Making him scrub the dishes.
(d) Not speaking to him.
6. What is poteen?
(a) Rancid wine.
(b) Potato alcohol.
(c) Potato stew.
(d) Illicit whiskey.
7. What does Christy see out the window just as he is about to join the races?
(a) A black cloud.
(b) Pegeen kissing Shawn.
(c) The peelers.
(d) Old Mahon.
8. Christy leaves Pegeen's house to go:
(a) To be blessed.
(b) Follow Old Mahon and finish him off.
(c) Down to join in the races.
(d) Find Michael Flaherty.
9. What would the Widow Quin not have Christy do if he came to live with her?
(a) Build a goose house.
(b) Meet wise men.
10. The Widow Quin enters the scene and suggests that he tell all of them his story while:
(a) Pegeen sends for the police.
(b) Michael James sleeps off his hangover.
(c) She stalls for time.
(d) They make him breakfast.
11. How does Old Mahon describe Christy's personality?
(b) Foolish and timid.
(c) Hot tempered.
12. Christy's demeanor as he tells his story can be described as which of the following?
13. The motivation for sending the girls to meet Christy is:
(a) The hope that he will like one of them better than Pegeen.
(b) To ask if he really is a murderer.
(c) To spy on him.
(d) To bring him back to the Widow Quin's house.
14. Which of the following concepts best fit the play?
(a) Love scorned.
(b) Life or death situations.
(c) Good versus evil.
15. Why does Shawn say Christy and Pegeen don't suit each other?
(a) They are too much alike.
(b) They will be strangling each other in a score of days.
(c) Christy is too short.
(d) Pegeen is fickle.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why has Old Mahon come to Pegeen's home?
2. Christy tells Pegeen that he doesn't want to leave because:
3. What is Shawn's plan for Christy?
4. During the girls' discussion of the boots, Sara Tansey:
5. Which character has the most at stake due to the appearance of Christy?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)