|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the girls from the village want from Christy?
(a) His money.
(b) His attentions.
(c) His advice.
(d) To punish Pegeen.
2. Pegeen punishes Christy for being friendly to the girls by:
(a) Telling the details of the hanging of a man who killed his da.
(b) Banishing him from her home.
(c) Not speaking to him.
(d) Making him scrub the dishes.
3. Christy's demeanor as he tells his story can be described as which of the following?
4. Where does the Widow Quin tell Old Mahon that Christy is?
(a) Gone over the hills to catch a steamer.
(b) Down to the shore to play in the games.
(c) She has never seen him.
(d) Back home to turn himself in.
5. Who is "The Playboy of the Western World?"
(a) Michael Flaherty
(b) Shaneen Keogh
(c) Old Mahon
(d) Christy Mahon
6. Which of the following concepts best fit the play?
(a) Good versus evil.
(b) Love scorned.
(d) Life or death situations.
7. What is Pegeen's reaction when she enters her home to find the village girls toasting Christy and the Widow Quin?
(a) She chases them out with a broom.
(b) She tries to get them to take Christy with them.
(c) She is thankful for their help.
(d) She is not pleased.
8. How does Old Mahon describe Christy's personality?
(c) Foolish and timid.
(d) Hot tempered.
9. When Christy comes out of the back room, the girls:
(a) Condemn him for his lack of Godly morals.
(b) Tell him he should marry the Widow Quin.
(c) Scream and run away.
(d) Welcome him and offer him food they have brought him.
10. What is Shawn's plan for Christy?
(a) To win the games.
(b) To take Pegeen off his hands.
(c) To go to America and forever leave Pegeen's life.
(d) To beat fear into him.
11. Which of the following would not be offered in trade for a favor by the characters in the play?
12. The villagers seem very religious, yet they treat Christy with:
(a) Pity because he is poorer than they are.
(b) Kindness because his father was cruel.
(c) Awe for his bravery.
(d) Patience because he is not as devout as they are.
13. Christy leaves Pegeen's house to go:
(a) To be blessed.
(b) Down to join in the races.
(c) Find Michael Flaherty.
(d) Follow Old Mahon and finish him off.
14. When the village girls come to meet Christy, the one item they do not bring him is?
(c) Duck eggs.
15. When Pegeen warns Christy not to tell everybody of his crime or he might have to leave, he surprises her by:
(a) Speaking to her romantically.
(b) Telling her she is worrying needlessly.
(c) Saying that he made it all up.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character can be described as a character foil for Pegeen?
2. When Christy and Pegeen talk about what their life might be like together, they are:
3. Which character has the most at stake due to the appearance of Christy?
4. What is the most significant plot change in Act II?
5. The setting change from night in Act 1 to morning in Act II has an effect on what?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)