|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Shawn's plan for Christy?
(a) To take Pegeen off his hands.
(b) To beat fear into him.
(c) To win the games.
(d) To go to America and forever leave Pegeen's life.
2. The setting change from night in Act 1 to morning in Act II has an effect on what?
3. What is Pegeen's reaction when she enters her home to find the village girls toasting Christy and the Widow Quin?
(a) She is thankful for their help.
(b) She tries to get them to take Christy with them.
(c) She chases them out with a broom.
(d) She is not pleased.
4. What does the Widow Quin suggest that Old Mahon do?
(a) Stay and rest for a few days.
(b) Pray for him.
(c) Follow Christy quickly before the tide comes in.
(d) Marry her.
5. Why was Pegeen angry with Christy for speaking with the girls and the Widow Quin?
(a) She was afraid she would lose the bounty for his head.
(b) He wouldn't pretend to like her to make Shawn jealous.
(c) She was jealous.
(d) She was afraid they might hire him for more than she could pay.
6. When Christy and Pegeen talk about what their life might be like together, they are:
(b) Preparing to run away together.
7. Pegeen's village is located:
(a) In the mountains.
(b) In a valley.
(c) In the desert.
(d) On the coast.
8. When Christy comes out of the back room, the girls:
(a) Scream and run away.
(b) Condemn him for his lack of Godly morals.
(c) Tell him he should marry the Widow Quin.
(d) Welcome him and offer him food they have brought him.
9. Where is Christy in actuality while the Widow Quin is taking to Old Mahon?
(a) Under the bed.
(b) At church.
(c) Behind the door.
(d) Down below at the races.
10. Which character tells the village girls about Christy and sends them to meet him?
(a) Father Reilly.
(d) The Widow Quin.
11. What is poteen?
(a) Potato stew.
(b) Illicit whiskey.
(c) Rancid wine.
(d) Potato alcohol.
12. Which of the following characters could be described as the most impulsive?
(a) Old Mahon
(b) Christy Mahon
(c) Shawn Keogh
(d) The Widow Quin
13. Which character comes up with the idea of entering Christy into the races and games?
(a) The Widow Quin.
(c) Sara Tansey.
(d) Shawn Keogh
14. When Act II opens, what is the time of day?
(a) High noon.
(b) Afternoon tea time.
(c) Morning light.
15. What does the mirror at the beginning of the scene symbolize?
(a) Christy's two-faced personality.
(b) Christy's reflective personality.
(c) Christy's habit of always looking back.
(d) Christy's vanity.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the village girls arrive, they interrupt Christy as he is:
2. Which character in the story seems to have the most self-doubt?
3. What would the Widow Quin not have Christy do if he came to live with her?
4. What do the girls from the village want from Christy?
5. What is Christy worried about after Old Mahon leaves?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)