|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Pegeen punishes Christy for being friendly to the girls by:
(a) Banishing him from her home.
(b) Not speaking to him.
(c) Telling the details of the hanging of a man who killed his da.
(d) Making him scrub the dishes.
2. During the girls' discussion of the boots, Sara Tansey:
(a) Flings the door open and threatens to shoot Christy.
(b) Suggests they wait for Pegeen to return.
(c) Tries the boots on and considers keeping them.
(d) Makes coffee.
3. When the village girls arrive, they interrupt Christy as he is:
(a) Admiring himself in a mirror.
(d) Trying to escape.
4. The people of Pegeen's village can be characterized as:
(a) Religious zealots.
(c) Devil worshippers.
(d) High society.
5. What is poteen?
(a) Potato stew.
(b) Potato alcohol.
(c) Illicit whiskey.
(d) Rancid wine.
6. What does Christy see out the window just as he is about to join the races?
(a) Old Mahon.
(b) Pegeen kissing Shawn.
(c) The peelers.
(d) A black cloud.
7. When Act II opens, what is the time of day?
(b) Afternoon tea time.
(c) Morning light.
(d) High noon.
8. The term "whisht" in the character's dialect means:
(a) Stop talking.
9. The setting change from night in Act 1 to morning in Act II has an effect on what?
10. Which of the following concepts best fit the play?
(a) Love scorned.
(c) Life or death situations.
(d) Good versus evil.
11. The Widow Quin enters the scene and suggests that he tell all of them his story while:
(a) They make him breakfast.
(b) Pegeen sends for the police.
(c) She stalls for time.
(d) Michael James sleeps off his hangover.
12. What is the mood in Act II?
13. What does the mirror at the beginning of the scene symbolize?
(a) Christy's reflective personality.
(b) Christy's habit of always looking back.
(c) Christy's two-faced personality.
(d) Christy's vanity.
14. What is Christy worried about after Old Mahon leaves?
(a) What Pegeen will think of him when she hears the story.
(b) That he will be turned in to the police.
(c) That Old Mahon will return for him.
(d) That he will be late for the games.
15. How does Old Mahon describe Christy's personality?
(a) Hot tempered.
(b) Foolish and timid.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the girls from the village want from Christy?
2. Which character comes up with the idea of entering Christy into the races and games?
3. At the end of Act II, Christy is summoned by:
4. Which character can be described as a character foil for Pegeen?
5. What is the most significant plot change in Act II?
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)