|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Pegeen says to Shawn, "Go on, then, to Father Reilly, and let him put you in the holy brotherhoods, and leave that lad to me," what emotion is she displaying?
2. The character of Christy is portrayed as:
(a) A cold blooded murderer.
(b) Young and naive.
(c) A dunce.
(d) Brave and heroic.
3. Pegeen imagines that Christy must have the temperament of:
(a) A plow horse full of patience.
(b) A rattle snake ready to attack its next victim.
(c) A man filled with blind rage.
(d) A dead fish.
4. The ethnic background of the characters in the play is:
(a) First generation American.
5. Pegeen's discussion with Christy after her father leaves is interrupted by:
(a) The Widow Quin.
(c) The peelers.
(d) Old Mahon.
6. Christy tells Pegeen that his father:
(a) had passed on years ago.
(b) was always cursing and assaulting people.
(c) was a God fearing man.
(d) was in an asylum.
7. The length of time covered in Act 1 is:
(a) One evening.
(b) A fortnight.
(c) One week.
(d) The period of Pegeen's youth.
8. A "shebeen" is a:
(a) Female of ill repute.
(c) Makeshift country inn.
(d) Vegetable grown for irish stew.
9. Pegeen's relationship with her father can be described as:
(b) One sided.
10. Pegeen's approximate age in the play is:
(a) Fifty years old.
(b) Twenty five years old.
(c) Fifteen years old.
(d) Twenty years old.
11. When the character, Christy Mahon enters the scene, he is:
(a) Looking for a bride.
(b) Suffering from a severe gash in his head.
(c) Looking for the police.
(d) Tired, frightened, and dirty.
12. The term "pot-boy" refers to:
(a) A boy who collects coins in a pot at a wake.
(b) A young lad paid a meager fee to keep a woman from being alone.
(c) A boy hired to empty the contents of the out house.
(d) A boy hired to bring food home from the market in a pot.
13. Shawn reacts to Christy's employment by:
(a) Calling Christy a liar.
(b) Threatening to kill Christy.
(c) Offering to stay with Pegeen.
14. Michael James and his friends Jimmy and Philly are in a hurry to leave so that they can:
(a) Tell the peelers about Christy.
(b) Get the Bishops blessing for the wedding.
(c) Collect a bounty for the body in the ditch.
(d) Drink the best stuff at the wake.
15. When Pegeen asks Christy if he is attracting many girls after telling his story, he replies:
(b) "No, just the Widow Quin."
(c) "I haven't told my story no place till this night."
(d) "Yes, they won't leave me be."
Short Answer Questions
1. Christy describes himself to Pegeen and the men as:
2. Which of the following characters does not appear in Act 1?
3. Considering the Irish dialect used by the author, the term "da" means:
4. What do both Shawn and Michael James claim to hear from a ditch on the side of the road that evening?
5. When Pegeen and the men hear Christy's secret, they are:
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)