|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the end of Act 1, Christy thinks to himself:
(a) "Wasn't I a foolish fellow to run this far from home."
(b) "Wasn't I a foolish fellow not to go home with the Widow Quin."
(c) "Wasn't I a foolish fellow to tell these folks of my murderous deed."
(d) "Wasn't I a foolish fellow not to kill my father in years gone by."
2. Pegeen's approximate age in the play is:
(a) Twenty five years old.
(b) Twenty years old.
(c) Fifty years old.
(d) Fifteen years old.
3. When the characters use the term "himself" they are referring to:
(a) A widow's dead husband.
(d) The master of the house.
4. The argument between the Widow Quin and Pegeen involves:
(a) The Widow Quin attempting to marry Pegeen's father.
(b) The Widow Quin attempting to stay overnight at Pegeen's.
(c) The Widow Quin attempting to take Christy home with her.
(d) The Widow Quin attempting to take Shawn away from Pegeen.
5. Pegeen's formal name is:
(a) Pegeen Mike.
(b) Margaret Flaherty.
(c) Widow Quin.
(d) Sara Tansey.
6. Christy committed the murder by:
(a) Stabbing the victim with a knife.
(b) Dropping a loy on the victim's skull.
(c) Shooting the victim.
(d) Strangling the victim.
7. The setting of Act 1 takes place:
(a) In a tavern owned by Sheamus Mulroy.
(b) In the village of Mayo.
(c) In the country home of Michael Flaherty.
(d) During the wake of Kate Cassidy.
8. A characteristic of Pegeen's personality that appears often is her:
9. The responsibility of barkeep in Michael James' establishment falls to:
(b) Michael James
(c) His wife.
10. Shawn will not stay the night because:
(a) He wants to attend the wake.
(b) He is afraid of the person wailing in the ditch.
(c) He is afraid of the peelers.
(d) He is afraid of Father Reilly.
11. The length of time covered in Act 1 is:
(a) The period of Pegeen's youth.
(b) A fortnight.
(c) One evening.
(d) One week.
12. Shawn is mocked by Pegeen and her father because:
(a) He says he is God fearing when he is really just afraid.
(b) He won't go to the wake.
(c) He won't fight Christy Mahon.
(d) Pegeen is smaller than him and can beat him up.
13. In his first conversation with Pegeen, Shawn's character is revealed as that of a:
14. One of Christy favorite pastimes after working hard all day on the farm is:
(a) To poach rabbits in the dark.
(b) Sneaking up on ducks while they are sleeping at night.
(c) To flirt with girls.
(d) Searching for the walking dead.
15. What do both Shawn and Michael James claim to hear from a ditch on the side of the road that evening?
(a) A rabid dog growling.
(c) Someone groaning.
(d) A wolf howling.
Short Answer Questions
1. The issue of Christy going home with the Widow Quin is resolved when:
2. The term "peelers" refers to:
3. At the beginning of Act 1, Pegeen is complaining because:
4. When the character, Christy Mahon enters the scene, he is:
5. At the end of the first evening, Christy is pleased because:
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)