|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The play was first published in the year:
(a) After the author's death in 1909.
2. The length of time covered in Act 1 is:
(a) The period of Pegeen's youth.
(b) A fortnight.
(c) One evening.
(d) One week.
3. Christy describes himself to Pegeen and the men as:
(a) His Mother's favorite.
(b) A Godforsaken orphan.
(c) A simple, God fearing, farm boy.
(d) A ladies man.
4. Considering the Irish dialect used by the author, the term "da" means:
5. Christy responds to Pegeen with, "We're alike so" after she tells him:
(a) She can't wait to leave town.
(b) She wants to get married.
(c) She is going to kill her father.
(d) She wants to marry young.
6. The setting of Act 1 takes place:
(a) In a tavern owned by Sheamus Mulroy.
(b) In the village of Mayo.
(c) During the wake of Kate Cassidy.
(d) In the country home of Michael Flaherty.
7. Shawn reacts to Christy's employment by:
(b) Calling Christy a liar.
(c) Threatening to kill Christy.
(d) Offering to stay with Pegeen.
8. Shawn will not stay the night because:
(a) He is afraid of the person wailing in the ditch.
(b) He is afraid of the peelers.
(c) He wants to attend the wake.
(d) He is afraid of Father Reilly.
9. The character of Christy is portrayed as:
(a) Brave and heroic.
(b) Young and naive.
(c) A cold blooded murderer.
(d) A dunce.
10. At the beginning of Act 1, Pegeen is complaining because:
(a) She doesn't want to be alone in the house overnight.
(b) She is getting too old to find a husband.
(c) Her father is drunk.
(d) Shawn won't remove his boots.
11. Shawn Keogh's nickname is:
12. When the character, Christy Mahon enters the scene, he is:
(a) Suffering from a severe gash in his head.
(b) Looking for a bride.
(c) Looking for the police.
(d) Tired, frightened, and dirty.
13. In his first conversation with Pegeen, Shawn's character is revealed as that of a:
14. The author's dialogue and description of the night gives what impression?
(a) It is the most exciting time of day.
(b) It is peaceful and serene.
(c) It is not safe to be out after dark.
(d) It is a perfect time for visiting neighbors.
15. At the end of the first evening, Christy is pleased because:
(a) He has found his cousin, Shawn.
(b) Two women are fighting over him.
(c) He has been fed.
(d) He has found a job.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following characters does not appear in Act 1?
2. As Michael James meets and converses with Christy, he addresses him as:
3. Once she is alone with Christy, Pegeen spends a great deal of time:
4. Pegeen imagines that Christy must have the temperament of:
5. When Pegeen and the men hear Christy's secret, they are:
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)