|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Michael James expect Shawn to do in Michael's absence?
(a) Keep Pegeen company.
(b) Fetch the Widow Quin.
(c) Marry Pegeen.
(d) Attend the wake.
2. Christy is served a supper of:
(a) Beer and cheese.
(b) Wine and cheese.
(c) Meat and water.
(d) Bread and milk.
3. The setting of Act 1 takes place:
(a) In the village of Mayo.
(b) In the country home of Michael Flaherty.
(c) During the wake of Kate Cassidy.
(d) In a tavern owned by Sheamus Mulroy.
4. The term "pot-boy" refers to:
(a) A boy who collects coins in a pot at a wake.
(b) A boy hired to empty the contents of the out house.
(c) A boy hired to bring food home from the market in a pot.
(d) A young lad paid a meager fee to keep a woman from being alone.
5. Pegeen's formal name is:
(a) Margaret Flaherty.
(b) Sara Tansey.
(c) Widow Quin.
(d) Pegeen Mike.
6. Pegeen's wedding is on hold until her fiance receives:
(a) An endowment.
(b) Her father's blessing.
(c) A job.
(d) Dispensation from the Holy Father.
7. Pegeen's relationship with her father can be described as:
(d) One sided.
8. The ethnic background of the characters in the play is:
(c) First generation American.
9. Once she is alone with Christy, Pegeen spends a great deal of time:
(a) Sweet talking him.
(b) Discussing her plot to kill her father.
(c) Discussing her engagement with Shawn.
(d) Asking him about his old girlfriends.
10. The issue of Christy going home with the Widow Quin is resolved when:
(a) Christy falls asleep.
(b) Christy says he wants to stay with Pegeen.
(c) Shawn decides to stay with Christy and Pegeen.
(d) The Widow Quin decides to stay with Christy and Pegeen.
11. The character of Christy is portrayed as:
(a) Brave and heroic.
(b) Young and naive.
(c) A dunce.
(d) A cold blooded murderer.
12. Shawn is mocked by Pegeen and her father because:
(a) He won't go to the wake.
(b) He says he is God fearing when he is really just afraid.
(c) He won't fight Christy Mahon.
(d) Pegeen is smaller than him and can beat him up.
13. Shawn will not stay the night because:
(a) He is afraid of the person wailing in the ditch.
(b) He is afraid of Father Reilly.
(c) He is afraid of the peelers.
(d) He wants to attend the wake.
14. Christy responds to Pegeen with, "We're alike so" after she tells him:
(a) She wants to marry young.
(b) She is going to kill her father.
(c) She can't wait to leave town.
(d) She wants to get married.
15. The length of time covered in Act 1 is:
(a) A fortnight.
(b) One week.
(c) One evening.
(d) The period of Pegeen's youth.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the character, Christy Mahon enters the scene, he is:
2. The term "peelers" refers to:
3. The play was first published in the year:
4. Pegeen is like her father in that they are both:
5. When Pegeen asks Christy if he is attracting many girls after telling his story, he replies:
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)