|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the beginning of Act 1, Pegeen is complaining because:
(a) Her father is drunk.
(b) She is getting too old to find a husband.
(c) Shawn won't remove his boots.
(d) She doesn't want to be alone in the house overnight.
2. The responsibility of barkeep in Michael James' establishment falls to:
(a) Michael James
(c) His wife.
3. The Widow Quin tells Christy that Pegeen is:
(a) Not a christian.
(b) A Widow herself.
(c) Engaged to be married.
4. Christy responds to Pegeen with, "We're alike so" after she tells him:
(a) She wants to get married.
(b) She can't wait to leave town.
(c) She wants to marry young.
(d) She is going to kill her father.
5. There is a rivalry for Christy's attentions between:
(a) Margaret and Shaneen.
(b) Pegeen and the Widow Quin.
(c) The Widow Quin and Shaneen.
(d) Pegeen and Sarah Tansey.
6. Christy is served a supper of:
(a) Bread and milk.
(b) Meat and water.
(c) Beer and cheese.
(d) Wine and cheese.
7. At the end of the first evening, Christy is pleased because:
(a) Two women are fighting over him.
(b) He has found a job.
(c) He has found his cousin, Shawn.
(d) He has been fed.
8. The setting of Act 1 takes place:
(a) In the country home of Michael Flaherty.
(b) During the wake of Kate Cassidy.
(c) In the village of Mayo.
(d) In a tavern owned by Sheamus Mulroy.
9. When Pegeen asks Christy if he is attracting many girls after telling his story, he replies:
(a) "Yes, they won't leave me be."
(c) "No, just the Widow Quin."
(d) "I haven't told my story no place till this night."
10. A common greeting amongst the characters is:
(a) For the love of Almighty God!
(b) The divil a one!
(c) May the Saints Joseph, Patrick, Bridgid and James have mercy!
(d) God bless you!
11. Pegeen's approximate age in the play is:
(a) Fifty years old.
(b) Fifteen years old.
(c) Twenty years old.
(d) Twenty five years old.
12. Once she is alone with Christy, Pegeen spends a great deal of time:
(a) Discussing her engagement with Shawn.
(b) Asking him about his old girlfriends.
(c) Sweet talking him.
(d) Discussing her plot to kill her father.
13. A "shebeen" is a:
(a) Vegetable grown for irish stew.
(c) Makeshift country inn.
(d) Female of ill repute.
14. The character of Christy is portrayed as:
(a) Brave and heroic.
(b) A cold blooded murderer.
(c) A dunce.
(d) Young and naive.
15. Michael James and his friends Jimmy and Philly are in a hurry to leave so that they can:
(a) Collect a bounty for the body in the ditch.
(b) Tell the peelers about Christy.
(c) Get the Bishops blessing for the wedding.
(d) Drink the best stuff at the wake.
Short Answer Questions
1. Considering the Irish dialect used by the author, the term "da" means:
2. When the characters use the term "himself" they are referring to:
3. Pegeen attempts to discredit the Widow Quin by accusing her of:
4. Pegeen's father is going out for the evening to:
5. Christy Mahon's big secret is that:
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)