|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following could be considered to have a significant impact on the characters' lives?
2. The term "peelers" refers to:
(a) The police.
(b) Chicken thieves.
(c) Renegade soldiers.
3. Michael James and his friends Jimmy and Philly are in a hurry to leave so that they can:
(a) Get the Bishops blessing for the wedding.
(b) Collect a bounty for the body in the ditch.
(c) Tell the peelers about Christy.
(d) Drink the best stuff at the wake.
4. Christy committed the murder by:
(a) Strangling the victim.
(b) Stabbing the victim with a knife.
(c) Shooting the victim.
(d) Dropping a loy on the victim's skull.
5. Christy has not been caught for the murder so far because:
(a) Someone else was charged with the murder.
(b) He buried the victim.
(c) A storm destroyed the victim's home.
(d) Murder is not considered a crime is his village.
6. The Widow Quin tells Christy that Pegeen is:
(a) Engaged to be married.
(b) A Widow herself.
(c) Not a christian.
7. Christy Mahon's big secret is that:
(a) He is wanted for larceny and killing a soldier.
(b) He killed his three wives.
(c) He killed his father.
(d) He killed his landlord.
8. Act 1 begins with Pegeen:
(a) Writing a request for wedding supplies.
(b) Writing a list of supplies for her father's wedding.
(c) Daydreaming about her wedding.
(d) Giving Shawn a list of wedding supplies.
9. As Michael James meets and converses with Christy, he addresses him as:
(a) Queer lad.
(c) Mister honey.
(d) Divil boy.
10. Pegeen is like her father in that they are both:
(b) Kind hearted.
11. Christy is served a supper of:
(a) Beer and cheese.
(b) Bread and milk.
(c) Wine and cheese.
(d) Meat and water.
12. Considering the Irish dialect used by the author, the term "da" means:
13. At the end of Act 1, Christy thinks to himself:
(a) "Wasn't I a foolish fellow not to go home with the Widow Quin."
(b) "Wasn't I a foolish fellow to run this far from home."
(c) "Wasn't I a foolish fellow not to kill my father in years gone by."
(d) "Wasn't I a foolish fellow to tell these folks of my murderous deed."
14. The length of time covered in Act 1 is:
(a) A fortnight.
(b) One evening.
(c) The period of Pegeen's youth.
(d) One week.
15. Shawn reacts to Christy's employment by:
(a) Offering to stay with Pegeen.
(b) Calling Christy a liar.
(c) Threatening to kill Christy.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of the first evening, Christy is pleased because:
2. Christy responds to Pegeen with, "We're alike so" after she tells him:
3. The issue of Christy going home with the Widow Quin is resolved when:
4. When Pegeen says to Shawn, "Go on, then, to Father Reilly, and let him put you in the holy brotherhoods, and leave that lad to me," what emotion is she displaying?
5. The author's dialogue and description of the night gives what impression?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)