|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. One of Christy favorite pastimes after working hard all day on the farm is:
(a) To flirt with girls.
(b) To poach rabbits in the dark.
(c) Searching for the walking dead.
(d) Sneaking up on ducks while they are sleeping at night.
2. The term "peelers" refers to:
(b) Chicken thieves.
(c) The police.
(d) Renegade soldiers.
3. Michael James and his friends Jimmy and Philly are in a hurry to leave so that they can:
(a) Drink the best stuff at the wake.
(b) Get the Bishops blessing for the wedding.
(c) Collect a bounty for the body in the ditch.
(d) Tell the peelers about Christy.
4. Pegeen is like her father in that they are both:
(a) Kind hearted.
5. In Act 1, Pegeen is engaged to marry:
(a) No one.
(b) Christy Mahon.
(c) Michael James Flaherty.
(d) Shawn Keogh.
6. Christy has not been caught for the murder so far because:
(a) Someone else was charged with the murder.
(b) A storm destroyed the victim's home.
(c) He buried the victim.
(d) Murder is not considered a crime is his village.
7. When the characters use the term "himself" they are referring to:
(a) A widow's dead husband.
(c) The master of the house.
8. Christy Mahon's big secret is that:
(a) He is wanted for larceny and killing a soldier.
(b) He killed his father.
(c) He killed his three wives.
(d) He killed his landlord.
9. The Widow Quin tells Christy that Pegeen is:
(a) Not a christian.
(b) Engaged to be married.
(d) A Widow herself.
10. When Pegeen asks Christy if he is attracting many girls after telling his story, he replies:
(a) "I haven't told my story no place till this night."
(b) "No, just the Widow Quin."
(c) "Yes, they won't leave me be."
11. The most significant conflict at the end of Act 1 is:
(a) Michael James has had too much to drink at the wake.
(b) Pegeen is flirting with Christy when she is engaged to someone else.
(c) The Widow Quin wants to take Christy home.
(d) Christy has run away from home.
12. At the beginning of Act 1, Pegeen is complaining because:
(a) Her father is drunk.
(b) She is getting too old to find a husband.
(c) She doesn't want to be alone in the house overnight.
(d) Shawn won't remove his boots.
13. Act 1 begins with Pegeen:
(a) Writing a list of supplies for her father's wedding.
(b) Daydreaming about her wedding.
(c) Giving Shawn a list of wedding supplies.
(d) Writing a request for wedding supplies.
14. The setting of Act 1 takes place:
(a) During the wake of Kate Cassidy.
(b) In the country home of Michael Flaherty.
(c) In the village of Mayo.
(d) In a tavern owned by Sheamus Mulroy.
15. Pegeen's discussion with Christy after her father leaves is interrupted by:
(a) The Widow Quin.
(b) Old Mahon.
(d) The peelers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Pegeen's formal name is:
2. Pegeen is referred to as "Pegeen Mike" in the story because:
3. When Pegeen says to Shawn, "Go on, then, to Father Reilly, and let him put you in the holy brotherhoods, and leave that lad to me," what emotion is she displaying?
4. The ethnic background of the characters in the play is:
5. The responsibility of barkeep in Michael James' establishment falls to:
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)