|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The length of time covered in Act 1 is:
(a) One week.
(b) One evening.
(c) The period of Pegeen's youth.
(d) A fortnight.
2. The character of Christy is portrayed as:
(a) Brave and heroic.
(b) Young and naive.
(c) A cold blooded murderer.
(d) A dunce.
3. At the end of the first evening, Christy is pleased because:
(a) Two women are fighting over him.
(b) He has been fed.
(c) He has found a job.
(d) He has found his cousin, Shawn.
4. As Michael James meets and converses with Christy, he addresses him as:
(b) Divil boy.
(c) Queer lad.
(d) Mister honey.
5. Shawn Keogh's nickname is:
6. Christy Mahon's big secret is that:
(a) He killed his three wives.
(b) He is wanted for larceny and killing a soldier.
(c) He killed his father.
(d) He killed his landlord.
7. A "shebeen" is a:
(a) Female of ill repute.
(b) Makeshift country inn.
(d) Vegetable grown for irish stew.
8. Shawn will not stay the night because:
(a) He is afraid of the person wailing in the ditch.
(b) He is afraid of Father Reilly.
(c) He is afraid of the peelers.
(d) He wants to attend the wake.
9. A characteristic of Pegeen's personality that appears often is her:
10. The term "pot-boy" refers to:
(a) A boy hired to empty the contents of the out house.
(b) A boy hired to bring food home from the market in a pot.
(c) A young lad paid a meager fee to keep a woman from being alone.
(d) A boy who collects coins in a pot at a wake.
11. The play was first published in the year:
(d) After the author's death in 1909.
12. Pegeen's discussion with Christy after her father leaves is interrupted by:
(a) The peelers.
(b) Old Mahon.
(d) The Widow Quin.
13. When the characters use the term "himself" they are referring to:
(a) A widow's dead husband.
(c) The master of the house.
14. What does Michael James expect Shawn to do in Michael's absence?
(a) Keep Pegeen company.
(b) Fetch the Widow Quin.
(c) Attend the wake.
(d) Marry Pegeen.
15. Pegeen's father is going out for the evening to:
(a) Kate Cassidy's wake.
(b) Go hunting.
(d) Visit the Widow Quin.
Short Answer Questions
1. In his first conversation with Pegeen, Shawn's character is revealed as that of a:
2. Pegeen is referred to as "Pegeen Mike" in the story because:
3. Act 1 begins with Pegeen:
4. At the end of Act 1, Christy thinks to himself:
5. The issue of Christy going home with the Widow Quin is resolved when:
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)