|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Pegeen is referred to as "Pegeen Mike" in the story because:
(a) Her father is Michael Flaherty.
(b) Her middle name is Michelle.
(c) She looks like a boy.
(d) She is bequeathed to Michael O'Donovan.
2. Considering the Irish dialect used by the author, the term "da" means:
3. The character of Christy is portrayed as:
(a) A cold blooded murderer.
(b) Young and naive.
(c) Brave and heroic.
(d) A dunce.
4. The argument between the Widow Quin and Pegeen involves:
(a) The Widow Quin attempting to marry Pegeen's father.
(b) The Widow Quin attempting to stay overnight at Pegeen's.
(c) The Widow Quin attempting to take Christy home with her.
(d) The Widow Quin attempting to take Shawn away from Pegeen.
5. A characteristic of Pegeen's personality that appears often is her:
6. The Widow Quin tells Christy that Pegeen is:
(a) Not a christian.
(c) Engaged to be married.
(d) A Widow herself.
7. Which of the following characters does not appear in Act 1?
(a) Philly Cullen
(b) Old Mahon
(c) Margaret Flaherty
(d) Jimmy Farrell
8. Christy has not been caught for the murder so far because:
(a) A storm destroyed the victim's home.
(b) He buried the victim.
(c) Someone else was charged with the murder.
(d) Murder is not considered a crime is his village.
9. The term "peelers" refers to:
(a) The police.
(c) Chicken thieves.
(d) Renegade soldiers.
10. The responsibility of barkeep in Michael James' establishment falls to:
(c) Michael James
(d) His wife.
11. When the character, Christy Mahon enters the scene, he is:
(a) Looking for the police.
(b) Looking for a bride.
(c) Suffering from a severe gash in his head.
(d) Tired, frightened, and dirty.
12. Shawn Keogh's nickname is:
13. The length of time covered in Act 1 is:
(a) A fortnight.
(b) One evening.
(c) One week.
(d) The period of Pegeen's youth.
14. Michael offers Christy a job as:
(a) A peeler.
(b) A pall bearer.
(c) A pot boy.
(d) A delivery boy.
15. Act 1 begins with Pegeen:
(a) Giving Shawn a list of wedding supplies.
(b) Writing a list of supplies for her father's wedding.
(c) Writing a request for wedding supplies.
(d) Daydreaming about her wedding.
Short Answer Questions
1. Christy Mahon's big secret is that:
2. Pegeen's approximate age in the play is:
3. When Pegeen asks Christy if he is attracting many girls after telling his story, he replies:
4. There is a rivalry for Christy's attentions between:
5. Michael James and his friends Jimmy and Philly are in a hurry to leave so that they can:
This section contains 490 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)