|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Pegeen's formal name is:
(a) Widow Quin.
(b) Pegeen Mike.
(c) Sara Tansey.
(d) Margaret Flaherty.
2. The length of time covered in Act 1 is:
(a) A fortnight.
(b) The period of Pegeen's youth.
(c) One evening.
(d) One week.
3. Pegeen imagines that Christy must have the temperament of:
(a) A plow horse full of patience.
(b) A dead fish.
(c) A man filled with blind rage.
(d) A rattle snake ready to attack its next victim.
4. Act 1 begins with Pegeen:
(a) Daydreaming about her wedding.
(b) Giving Shawn a list of wedding supplies.
(c) Writing a list of supplies for her father's wedding.
(d) Writing a request for wedding supplies.
5. What do both Shawn and Michael James claim to hear from a ditch on the side of the road that evening?
(a) A wolf howling.
(b) Someone groaning.
(d) A rabid dog growling.
6. The term "peelers" refers to:
(a) Chicken thieves.
(c) Renegade soldiers.
(d) The police.
7. The play was first published in the year:
(b) After the author's death in 1909.
8. Pegeen is referred to as "Pegeen Mike" in the story because:
(a) She looks like a boy.
(b) Her middle name is Michelle.
(c) Her father is Michael Flaherty.
(d) She is bequeathed to Michael O'Donovan.
9. The setting of Act 1 takes place:
(a) During the wake of Kate Cassidy.
(b) In a tavern owned by Sheamus Mulroy.
(c) In the village of Mayo.
(d) In the country home of Michael Flaherty.
10. Pegeen attempts to discredit the Widow Quin by accusing her of:
(a) Being a spy for Father Reilly.
(b) Killing her father.
(c) Burying her husband.
(d) Poaching chickens.
11. A common greeting amongst the characters is:
(a) May the Saints Joseph, Patrick, Bridgid and James have mercy!
(b) The divil a one!
(c) God bless you!
(d) For the love of Almighty God!
12. The author's dialogue and description of the night gives what impression?
(a) It is the most exciting time of day.
(b) It is peaceful and serene.
(c) It is not safe to be out after dark.
(d) It is a perfect time for visiting neighbors.
13. Pegeen's relationship with her father can be described as:
(d) One sided.
14. Which of the following could be considered to have a significant impact on the characters' lives?
15. A "shebeen" is a:
(a) Makeshift country inn.
(b) Vegetable grown for irish stew.
(c) Female of ill repute.
Short Answer Questions
1. Christy committed the murder by:
2. Christy is served a supper of:
3. What does Michael James expect Shawn to do in Michael's absence?
4. Christy tells Pegeen that his father:
5. One of Christy favorite pastimes after working hard all day on the farm is:
This section contains 490 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)