|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Pegeen imagines that Christy must have the temperament of:
(a) A plow horse full of patience.
(b) A dead fish.
(c) A rattle snake ready to attack its next victim.
(d) A man filled with blind rage.
2. Christy committed the murder by:
(a) Dropping a loy on the victim's skull.
(b) Strangling the victim.
(c) Shooting the victim.
(d) Stabbing the victim with a knife.
3. There is a rivalry for Christy's attentions between:
(a) Pegeen and Sarah Tansey.
(b) Margaret and Shaneen.
(c) Pegeen and the Widow Quin.
(d) The Widow Quin and Shaneen.
4. When Pegeen and the men hear Christy's secret, they are:
5. Christy has not been caught for the murder so far because:
(a) A storm destroyed the victim's home.
(b) He buried the victim.
(c) Someone else was charged with the murder.
(d) Murder is not considered a crime is his village.
6. Shawn is mocked by Pegeen and her father because:
(a) He won't fight Christy Mahon.
(b) He won't go to the wake.
(c) Pegeen is smaller than him and can beat him up.
(d) He says he is God fearing when he is really just afraid.
7. The length of time covered in Act 1 is:
(a) The period of Pegeen's youth.
(b) One week.
(c) A fortnight.
(d) One evening.
8. At the end of Act 1, Christy thinks to himself:
(a) "Wasn't I a foolish fellow not to kill my father in years gone by."
(b) "Wasn't I a foolish fellow to tell these folks of my murderous deed."
(c) "Wasn't I a foolish fellow to run this far from home."
(d) "Wasn't I a foolish fellow not to go home with the Widow Quin."
9. The issue of Christy going home with the Widow Quin is resolved when:
(a) Christy says he wants to stay with Pegeen.
(b) The Widow Quin decides to stay with Christy and Pegeen.
(c) Shawn decides to stay with Christy and Pegeen.
(d) Christy falls asleep.
10. The play was first published in the year:
(d) After the author's death in 1909.
11. Christy tells Pegeen that his father:
(a) was a God fearing man.
(b) was always cursing and assaulting people.
(c) was in an asylum.
(d) had passed on years ago.
12. Pegeen's father is going out for the evening to:
(a) Kate Cassidy's wake.
(b) Visit the Widow Quin.
(d) Go hunting.
13. The term "pot-boy" refers to:
(a) A boy hired to bring food home from the market in a pot.
(b) A boy hired to empty the contents of the out house.
(c) A boy who collects coins in a pot at a wake.
(d) A young lad paid a meager fee to keep a woman from being alone.
14. Once she is alone with Christy, Pegeen spends a great deal of time:
(a) Discussing her plot to kill her father.
(b) Discussing her engagement with Shawn.
(c) Asking him about his old girlfriends.
(d) Sweet talking him.
15. The most significant conflict at the end of Act 1 is:
(a) Pegeen is flirting with Christy when she is engaged to someone else.
(b) Michael James has had too much to drink at the wake.
(c) The Widow Quin wants to take Christy home.
(d) Christy has run away from home.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author's dialogue and description of the night gives what impression?
2. One of Christy favorite pastimes after working hard all day on the farm is:
3. Considering the Irish dialect used by the author, the term "da" means:
4. Pegeen's wedding is on hold until her fiance receives:
5. A common greeting amongst the characters is:
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)