|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Michael offers Christy a job as:
(a) A pall bearer.
(b) A pot boy.
(c) A delivery boy.
(d) A peeler.
2. The argument between the Widow Quin and Pegeen involves:
(a) The Widow Quin attempting to take Shawn away from Pegeen.
(b) The Widow Quin attempting to stay overnight at Pegeen's.
(c) The Widow Quin attempting to marry Pegeen's father.
(d) The Widow Quin attempting to take Christy home with her.
3. The play was first published in the year:
(b) After the author's death in 1909.
4. The most significant conflict at the end of Act 1 is:
(a) The Widow Quin wants to take Christy home.
(b) Christy has run away from home.
(c) Michael James has had too much to drink at the wake.
(d) Pegeen is flirting with Christy when she is engaged to someone else.
5. Christy responds to Pegeen with, "We're alike so" after she tells him:
(a) She is going to kill her father.
(b) She can't wait to leave town.
(c) She wants to get married.
(d) She wants to marry young.
6. The ethnic background of the characters in the play is:
(d) First generation American.
7. Christy has not been caught for the murder so far because:
(a) A storm destroyed the victim's home.
(b) Murder is not considered a crime is his village.
(c) He buried the victim.
(d) Someone else was charged with the murder.
8. In his first conversation with Pegeen, Shawn's character is revealed as that of a:
9. The responsibility of barkeep in Michael James' establishment falls to:
(c) Michael James
(d) His wife.
10. Pegeen is like her father in that they are both:
(b) Kind hearted.
11. Pegeen imagines that Christy must have the temperament of:
(a) A man filled with blind rage.
(b) A rattle snake ready to attack its next victim.
(c) A plow horse full of patience.
(d) A dead fish.
12. Shawn Keogh's nickname is:
13. Christy committed the murder by:
(a) Strangling the victim.
(b) Stabbing the victim with a knife.
(c) Dropping a loy on the victim's skull.
(d) Shooting the victim.
14. Shawn reacts to Christy's employment by:
(a) Threatening to kill Christy.
(b) Offering to stay with Pegeen.
(c) Calling Christy a liar.
15. The Widow Quin tells Christy that Pegeen is:
(a) Not a christian.
(b) Engaged to be married.
(c) A Widow herself.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of the first evening, Christy is pleased because:
2. The issue of Christy going home with the Widow Quin is resolved when:
3. When the characters use the term "himself" they are referring to:
4. When Pegeen says to Shawn, "Go on, then, to Father Reilly, and let him put you in the holy brotherhoods, and leave that lad to me," what emotion is she displaying?
5. At the beginning of Act 1, Pegeen is complaining because:
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)