|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Act 1 begins with Pegeen:
(a) Daydreaming about her wedding.
(b) Writing a request for wedding supplies.
(c) Writing a list of supplies for her father's wedding.
(d) Giving Shawn a list of wedding supplies.
2. The character of Christy is portrayed as:
(a) A cold blooded murderer.
(b) Brave and heroic.
(c) A dunce.
(d) Young and naive.
3. Christy is served a supper of:
(a) Meat and water.
(b) Wine and cheese.
(c) Bread and milk.
(d) Beer and cheese.
4. The term "peelers" refers to:
(a) The police.
(c) Chicken thieves.
(d) Renegade soldiers.
5. A second rivalry in act one involves:
(a) Christy Mahon and Shawn Keogh.
(b) Shawn Keogh and Michael James.
(c) The Old Mahon and Christy Mahon.
(d) The Widow Quin and Shawn Keogh.
6. When Pegeen says to Shawn, "Go on, then, to Father Reilly, and let him put you in the holy brotherhoods, and leave that lad to me," what emotion is she displaying?
7. When the character, Christy Mahon enters the scene, he is:
(a) Looking for a bride.
(b) Looking for the police.
(c) Tired, frightened, and dirty.
(d) Suffering from a severe gash in his head.
8. The play was first published in the year:
(d) After the author's death in 1909.
9. Pegeen imagines that Christy must have the temperament of:
(a) A man filled with blind rage.
(b) A dead fish.
(c) A plow horse full of patience.
(d) A rattle snake ready to attack its next victim.
10. At the end of Act 1, Christy thinks to himself:
(a) "Wasn't I a foolish fellow not to kill my father in years gone by."
(b) "Wasn't I a foolish fellow not to go home with the Widow Quin."
(c) "Wasn't I a foolish fellow to tell these folks of my murderous deed."
(d) "Wasn't I a foolish fellow to run this far from home."
11. When the characters use the term "himself" they are referring to:
(a) A widow's dead husband.
(b) The master of the house.
12. Shawn reacts to Christy's employment by:
(b) Calling Christy a liar.
(c) Threatening to kill Christy.
(d) Offering to stay with Pegeen.
13. Pegeen's approximate age in the play is:
(a) Fifty years old.
(b) Twenty years old.
(c) Twenty five years old.
(d) Fifteen years old.
14. Christy tells Pegeen that his father:
(a) was always cursing and assaulting people.
(b) was a God fearing man.
(c) was in an asylum.
(d) had passed on years ago.
15. The ethnic background of the characters in the play is:
(c) First generation American.
Short Answer Questions
1. The argument between the Widow Quin and Pegeen involves:
2. Christy responds to Pegeen with, "We're alike so" after she tells him:
3. Michael James and his friends Jimmy and Philly are in a hurry to leave so that they can:
4. Considering the Irish dialect used by the author, the term "da" means:
5. The length of time covered in Act 1 is:
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)