|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Christy tells Pegeen that his father:
(a) had passed on years ago.
(b) was a God fearing man.
(c) was always cursing and assaulting people.
(d) was in an asylum.
2. The ethnic background of the characters in the play is:
(b) First generation American.
3. Pegeen is referred to as "Pegeen Mike" in the story because:
(a) She is bequeathed to Michael O'Donovan.
(b) Her father is Michael Flaherty.
(c) She looks like a boy.
(d) Her middle name is Michelle.
4. As Michael James meets and converses with Christy, he addresses him as:
(a) Divil boy.
(c) Queer lad.
(d) Mister honey.
5. Christy is served a supper of:
(a) Meat and water.
(b) Bread and milk.
(c) Wine and cheese.
(d) Beer and cheese.
6. Pegeen is like her father in that they are both:
(b) Kind hearted.
7. Pegeen's approximate age in the play is:
(a) Twenty five years old.
(b) Fifteen years old.
(c) Fifty years old.
(d) Twenty years old.
8. Which of the following could be considered to have a significant impact on the characters' lives?
9. When Pegeen asks Christy if he is attracting many girls after telling his story, he replies:
(a) "I haven't told my story no place till this night."
(b) "Yes, they won't leave me be."
(d) "No, just the Widow Quin."
10. The character of Christy is portrayed as:
(a) Young and naive.
(b) A cold blooded murderer.
(c) Brave and heroic.
(d) A dunce.
11. The most significant conflict at the end of Act 1 is:
(a) The Widow Quin wants to take Christy home.
(b) Christy has run away from home.
(c) Pegeen is flirting with Christy when she is engaged to someone else.
(d) Michael James has had too much to drink at the wake.
12. Considering the Irish dialect used by the author, the term "da" means:
13. Once she is alone with Christy, Pegeen spends a great deal of time:
(a) Sweet talking him.
(b) Asking him about his old girlfriends.
(c) Discussing her plot to kill her father.
(d) Discussing her engagement with Shawn.
14. Shawn will not stay the night because:
(a) He wants to attend the wake.
(b) He is afraid of Father Reilly.
(c) He is afraid of the person wailing in the ditch.
(d) He is afraid of the peelers.
15. Pegeen's wedding is on hold until her fiance receives:
(a) A job.
(b) Her father's blessing.
(c) Dispensation from the Holy Father.
(d) An endowment.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following characters does not appear in Act 1?
2. The issue of Christy going home with the Widow Quin is resolved when:
3. Christy responds to Pegeen with, "We're alike so" after she tells him:
4. Michael offers Christy a job as:
5. One of Christy favorite pastimes after working hard all day on the farm is:
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)