|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following characters does not appear in Act 1?
(a) Jimmy Farrell
(b) Philly Cullen
(c) Margaret Flaherty
(d) Old Mahon
2. The author's dialogue and description of the night gives what impression?
(a) It is peaceful and serene.
(b) It is not safe to be out after dark.
(c) It is a perfect time for visiting neighbors.
(d) It is the most exciting time of day.
3. The term "pot-boy" refers to:
(a) A boy hired to bring food home from the market in a pot.
(b) A boy who collects coins in a pot at a wake.
(c) A young lad paid a meager fee to keep a woman from being alone.
(d) A boy hired to empty the contents of the out house.
4. The responsibility of barkeep in Michael James' establishment falls to:
(b) Michael James
(c) His wife.
5. What does Michael James expect Shawn to do in Michael's absence?
(a) Marry Pegeen.
(b) Attend the wake.
(c) Keep Pegeen company.
(d) Fetch the Widow Quin.
6. At the end of the first evening, Christy is pleased because:
(a) He has found his cousin, Shawn.
(b) Two women are fighting over him.
(c) He has been fed.
(d) He has found a job.
7. A "shebeen" is a:
(a) Vegetable grown for irish stew.
(b) Female of ill repute.
(c) Makeshift country inn.
8. Pegeen's wedding is on hold until her fiance receives:
(a) Dispensation from the Holy Father.
(b) Her father's blessing.
(c) A job.
(d) An endowment.
9. Pegeen is referred to as "Pegeen Mike" in the story because:
(a) Her father is Michael Flaherty.
(b) She looks like a boy.
(c) She is bequeathed to Michael O'Donovan.
(d) Her middle name is Michelle.
10. Pegeen's approximate age in the play is:
(a) Fifteen years old.
(b) Twenty five years old.
(c) Twenty years old.
(d) Fifty years old.
11. Shawn is mocked by Pegeen and her father because:
(a) He won't fight Christy Mahon.
(b) He says he is God fearing when he is really just afraid.
(c) Pegeen is smaller than him and can beat him up.
(d) He won't go to the wake.
12. Shawn reacts to Christy's employment by:
(b) Threatening to kill Christy.
(c) Calling Christy a liar.
(d) Offering to stay with Pegeen.
13. Michael James and his friends Jimmy and Philly are in a hurry to leave so that they can:
(a) Drink the best stuff at the wake.
(b) Get the Bishops blessing for the wedding.
(c) Tell the peelers about Christy.
(d) Collect a bounty for the body in the ditch.
14. Pegeen imagines that Christy must have the temperament of:
(a) A rattle snake ready to attack its next victim.
(b) A man filled with blind rage.
(c) A plow horse full of patience.
(d) A dead fish.
15. Christy has not been caught for the murder so far because:
(a) A storm destroyed the victim's home.
(b) He buried the victim.
(c) Murder is not considered a crime is his village.
(d) Someone else was charged with the murder.
Short Answer Questions
1. A characteristic of Pegeen's personality that appears often is her:
2. One of Christy favorite pastimes after working hard all day on the farm is:
3. The length of time covered in Act 1 is:
4. When Pegeen asks Christy if he is attracting many girls after telling his story, he replies:
5. The argument between the Widow Quin and Pegeen involves:
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)