|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The author's dialogue and description of the night gives what impression?
(a) It is peaceful and serene.
(b) It is not safe to be out after dark.
(c) It is the most exciting time of day.
(d) It is a perfect time for visiting neighbors.
2. Christy has not been caught for the murder so far because:
(a) Someone else was charged with the murder.
(b) He buried the victim.
(c) A storm destroyed the victim's home.
(d) Murder is not considered a crime is his village.
3. Christy tells Pegeen that his father:
(a) was in an asylum.
(b) had passed on years ago.
(c) was always cursing and assaulting people.
(d) was a God fearing man.
4. There is a rivalry for Christy's attentions between:
(a) Pegeen and the Widow Quin.
(b) Pegeen and Sarah Tansey.
(c) The Widow Quin and Shaneen.
(d) Margaret and Shaneen.
5. In Act 1, Pegeen is engaged to marry:
(a) Christy Mahon.
(b) Shawn Keogh.
(c) Michael James Flaherty.
(d) No one.
6. In his first conversation with Pegeen, Shawn's character is revealed as that of a:
7. A characteristic of Pegeen's personality that appears often is her:
8. Considering the Irish dialect used by the author, the term "da" means:
9. The character of Christy is portrayed as:
(a) A dunce.
(b) Brave and heroic.
(c) Young and naive.
(d) A cold blooded murderer.
10. The most significant conflict at the end of Act 1 is:
(a) Pegeen is flirting with Christy when she is engaged to someone else.
(b) Christy has run away from home.
(c) The Widow Quin wants to take Christy home.
(d) Michael James has had too much to drink at the wake.
11. Christy is served a supper of:
(a) Wine and cheese.
(b) Beer and cheese.
(c) Meat and water.
(d) Bread and milk.
12. The setting of Act 1 takes place:
(a) In a tavern owned by Sheamus Mulroy.
(b) In the country home of Michael Flaherty.
(c) During the wake of Kate Cassidy.
(d) In the village of Mayo.
13. The play was first published in the year:
(c) After the author's death in 1909.
14. Act 1 begins with Pegeen:
(a) Writing a request for wedding supplies.
(b) Giving Shawn a list of wedding supplies.
(c) Daydreaming about her wedding.
(d) Writing a list of supplies for her father's wedding.
15. Pegeen's formal name is:
(a) Pegeen Mike.
(b) Widow Quin.
(c) Margaret Flaherty.
(d) Sara Tansey.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of the first evening, Christy is pleased because:
2. Pegeen attempts to discredit the Widow Quin by accusing her of:
3. Shawn reacts to Christy's employment by:
4. A common greeting amongst the characters is:
5. Shawn is mocked by Pegeen and her father because:
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)