|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the characters use the term "himself" they are referring to:
(a) The master of the house.
(c) A widow's dead husband.
2. The author's dialogue and description of the night gives what impression?
(a) It is the most exciting time of day.
(b) It is peaceful and serene.
(c) It is not safe to be out after dark.
(d) It is a perfect time for visiting neighbors.
3. When Pegeen says to Shawn, "Go on, then, to Father Reilly, and let him put you in the holy brotherhoods, and leave that lad to me," what emotion is she displaying?
4. Pegeen is like her father in that they are both:
(b) Kind hearted.
5. The ethnic background of the characters in the play is:
(a) First generation American.
6. The most significant conflict at the end of Act 1 is:
(a) Pegeen is flirting with Christy when she is engaged to someone else.
(b) Michael James has had too much to drink at the wake.
(c) The Widow Quin wants to take Christy home.
(d) Christy has run away from home.
7. Pegeen's father is going out for the evening to:
(a) Visit the Widow Quin.
(b) Go hunting.
(c) Kate Cassidy's wake.
8. A common greeting amongst the characters is:
(a) God bless you!
(b) The divil a one!
(c) For the love of Almighty God!
(d) May the Saints Joseph, Patrick, Bridgid and James have mercy!
9. Pegeen's formal name is:
(a) Sara Tansey.
(b) Pegeen Mike.
(c) Margaret Flaherty.
(d) Widow Quin.
10. Christy has not been caught for the murder so far because:
(a) A storm destroyed the victim's home.
(b) Someone else was charged with the murder.
(c) Murder is not considered a crime is his village.
(d) He buried the victim.
11. The Widow Quin tells Christy that Pegeen is:
(a) A Widow herself.
(c) Engaged to be married.
(d) Not a christian.
12. A second rivalry in act one involves:
(a) The Widow Quin and Shawn Keogh.
(b) Shawn Keogh and Michael James.
(c) Christy Mahon and Shawn Keogh.
(d) The Old Mahon and Christy Mahon.
13. Pegeen's relationship with her father can be described as:
(b) One sided.
14. In Act 1, Pegeen is engaged to marry:
(a) Christy Mahon.
(b) Shawn Keogh.
(c) No one.
(d) Michael James Flaherty.
15. The responsibility of barkeep in Michael James' establishment falls to:
(a) His wife.
(d) Michael James
Short Answer Questions
1. Christy committed the murder by:
2. Michael offers Christy a job as:
3. There is a rivalry for Christy's attentions between:
4. What does Michael James expect Shawn to do in Michael's absence?
5. The term "peelers" refers to:
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)