|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Shawn reacts to Christy's employment by:
(b) Calling Christy a liar.
(c) Offering to stay with Pegeen.
(d) Threatening to kill Christy.
2. Pegeen's father is going out for the evening to:
(a) Visit the Widow Quin.
(b) Go hunting.
(d) Kate Cassidy's wake.
3. The most significant conflict at the end of Act 1 is:
(a) Pegeen is flirting with Christy when she is engaged to someone else.
(b) The Widow Quin wants to take Christy home.
(c) Michael James has had too much to drink at the wake.
(d) Christy has run away from home.
4. The character of Christy is portrayed as:
(a) Brave and heroic.
(b) A cold blooded murderer.
(c) A dunce.
(d) Young and naive.
5. A "shebeen" is a:
(a) Vegetable grown for irish stew.
(b) Female of ill repute.
(d) Makeshift country inn.
6. Pegeen's discussion with Christy after her father leaves is interrupted by:
(a) The peelers.
(c) Old Mahon.
(d) The Widow Quin.
7. One of Christy favorite pastimes after working hard all day on the farm is:
(a) Sneaking up on ducks while they are sleeping at night.
(b) Searching for the walking dead.
(c) To poach rabbits in the dark.
(d) To flirt with girls.
8. When the characters use the term "himself" they are referring to:
(c) A widow's dead husband.
(d) The master of the house.
9. At the beginning of Act 1, Pegeen is complaining because:
(a) She doesn't want to be alone in the house overnight.
(b) Her father is drunk.
(c) She is getting too old to find a husband.
(d) Shawn won't remove his boots.
10. The term "peelers" refers to:
(b) Chicken thieves.
(c) Renegade soldiers.
(d) The police.
11. Pegeen is like her father in that they are both:
(c) Kind hearted.
12. Shawn is mocked by Pegeen and her father because:
(a) He won't fight Christy Mahon.
(b) He says he is God fearing when he is really just afraid.
(c) Pegeen is smaller than him and can beat him up.
(d) He won't go to the wake.
13. Pegeen attempts to discredit the Widow Quin by accusing her of:
(a) Burying her husband.
(b) Being a spy for Father Reilly.
(c) Poaching chickens.
(d) Killing her father.
14. The length of time covered in Act 1 is:
(a) A fortnight.
(b) One evening.
(c) One week.
(d) The period of Pegeen's youth.
15. At the end of Act 1, Christy thinks to himself:
(a) "Wasn't I a foolish fellow to tell these folks of my murderous deed."
(b) "Wasn't I a foolish fellow not to kill my father in years gone by."
(c) "Wasn't I a foolish fellow not to go home with the Widow Quin."
(d) "Wasn't I a foolish fellow to run this far from home."
Short Answer Questions
1. Shawn Keogh's nickname is:
2. Christy tells Pegeen that his father:
3. Once she is alone with Christy, Pegeen spends a great deal of time:
4. When Pegeen and the men hear Christy's secret, they are:
5. Act 1 begins with Pegeen:
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)