|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Pegeen is referred to as "Pegeen Mike" in the story because:
(a) She looks like a boy.
(b) Her middle name is Michelle.
(c) Her father is Michael Flaherty.
(d) She is bequeathed to Michael O'Donovan.
2. Michael offers Christy a job as:
(a) A delivery boy.
(b) A peeler.
(c) A pall bearer.
(d) A pot boy.
3. A "shebeen" is a:
(b) Female of ill repute.
(c) Vegetable grown for irish stew.
(d) Makeshift country inn.
4. Which of the following could be considered to have a significant impact on the characters' lives?
5. When Pegeen and the men hear Christy's secret, they are:
6. Act 1 begins with Pegeen:
(a) Giving Shawn a list of wedding supplies.
(b) Writing a request for wedding supplies.
(c) Writing a list of supplies for her father's wedding.
(d) Daydreaming about her wedding.
7. There is a rivalry for Christy's attentions between:
(a) Margaret and Shaneen.
(b) Pegeen and Sarah Tansey.
(c) Pegeen and the Widow Quin.
(d) The Widow Quin and Shaneen.
8. Pegeen's relationship with her father can be described as:
(b) One sided.
9. In Act 1, Pegeen is engaged to marry:
(a) Michael James Flaherty.
(b) No one.
(c) Shawn Keogh.
(d) Christy Mahon.
10. A second rivalry in act one involves:
(a) Christy Mahon and Shawn Keogh.
(b) The Old Mahon and Christy Mahon.
(c) The Widow Quin and Shawn Keogh.
(d) Shawn Keogh and Michael James.
11. The setting of Act 1 takes place:
(a) In the village of Mayo.
(b) In the country home of Michael Flaherty.
(c) In a tavern owned by Sheamus Mulroy.
(d) During the wake of Kate Cassidy.
12. Shawn is mocked by Pegeen and her father because:
(a) Pegeen is smaller than him and can beat him up.
(b) He won't go to the wake.
(c) He says he is God fearing when he is really just afraid.
(d) He won't fight Christy Mahon.
13. Michael James and his friends Jimmy and Philly are in a hurry to leave so that they can:
(a) Tell the peelers about Christy.
(b) Get the Bishops blessing for the wedding.
(c) Collect a bounty for the body in the ditch.
(d) Drink the best stuff at the wake.
14. The issue of Christy going home with the Widow Quin is resolved when:
(a) The Widow Quin decides to stay with Christy and Pegeen.
(b) Christy falls asleep.
(c) Christy says he wants to stay with Pegeen.
(d) Shawn decides to stay with Christy and Pegeen.
15. Once she is alone with Christy, Pegeen spends a great deal of time:
(a) Sweet talking him.
(b) Discussing her engagement with Shawn.
(c) Discussing her plot to kill her father.
(d) Asking him about his old girlfriends.
Short Answer Questions
1. Christy responds to Pegeen with, "We're alike so" after she tells him:
2. At the end of Act 1, Christy thinks to himself:
3. When Pegeen says to Shawn, "Go on, then, to Father Reilly, and let him put you in the holy brotherhoods, and leave that lad to me," what emotion is she displaying?
4. The term "peelers" refers to:
5. Christy Mahon's big secret is that:
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)