|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Pegeen's wedding is on hold until her fiance receives:
(a) A job.
(b) Dispensation from the Holy Father.
(c) Her father's blessing.
(d) An endowment.
2. The author's dialogue and description of the night gives what impression?
(a) It is a perfect time for visiting neighbors.
(b) It is not safe to be out after dark.
(c) It is peaceful and serene.
(d) It is the most exciting time of day.
3. Pegeen's formal name is:
(a) Pegeen Mike.
(b) Margaret Flaherty.
(c) Sara Tansey.
(d) Widow Quin.
4. The responsibility of barkeep in Michael James' establishment falls to:
(a) Michael James
(c) His wife.
5. As Michael James meets and converses with Christy, he addresses him as:
(a) Divil boy.
(b) Queer lad.
(d) Mister honey.
6. Michael James and his friends Jimmy and Philly are in a hurry to leave so that they can:
(a) Collect a bounty for the body in the ditch.
(b) Get the Bishops blessing for the wedding.
(c) Tell the peelers about Christy.
(d) Drink the best stuff at the wake.
7. The term "peelers" refers to:
(a) Renegade soldiers.
(b) Chicken thieves.
(d) The police.
8. In Act 1, Pegeen is engaged to marry:
(a) Christy Mahon.
(b) Michael James Flaherty.
(c) Shawn Keogh.
(d) No one.
9. Pegeen attempts to discredit the Widow Quin by accusing her of:
(a) Burying her husband.
(b) Killing her father.
(c) Poaching chickens.
(d) Being a spy for Father Reilly.
10. Christy tells Pegeen that his father:
(a) had passed on years ago.
(b) was in an asylum.
(c) was always cursing and assaulting people.
(d) was a God fearing man.
11. Shawn reacts to Christy's employment by:
(b) Offering to stay with Pegeen.
(c) Calling Christy a liar.
(d) Threatening to kill Christy.
12. Considering the Irish dialect used by the author, the term "da" means:
13. Christy responds to Pegeen with, "We're alike so" after she tells him:
(a) She wants to get married.
(b) She can't wait to leave town.
(c) She is going to kill her father.
(d) She wants to marry young.
14. The Widow Quin tells Christy that Pegeen is:
(a) Engaged to be married.
(b) Not a christian.
(d) A Widow herself.
15. Which of the following could be considered to have a significant impact on the characters' lives?
Short Answer Questions
1. Shawn will not stay the night because:
2. A "shebeen" is a:
3. Pegeen's approximate age in the play is:
4. There is a rivalry for Christy's attentions between:
5. A common greeting amongst the characters is:
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)