|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. There is a rivalry for Christy's attentions between:
(a) Pegeen and Sarah Tansey.
(b) Margaret and Shaneen.
(c) Pegeen and the Widow Quin.
(d) The Widow Quin and Shaneen.
2. When Pegeen says to Shawn, "Go on, then, to Father Reilly, and let him put you in the holy brotherhoods, and leave that lad to me," what emotion is she displaying?
3. The most significant conflict at the end of Act 1 is:
(a) Christy has run away from home.
(b) The Widow Quin wants to take Christy home.
(c) Michael James has had too much to drink at the wake.
(d) Pegeen is flirting with Christy when she is engaged to someone else.
4. What do both Shawn and Michael James claim to hear from a ditch on the side of the road that evening?
(a) A wolf howling.
(b) Someone groaning.
(d) A rabid dog growling.
5. When Pegeen and the men hear Christy's secret, they are:
6. Pegeen imagines that Christy must have the temperament of:
(a) A dead fish.
(b) A rattle snake ready to attack its next victim.
(c) A man filled with blind rage.
(d) A plow horse full of patience.
7. A second rivalry in act one involves:
(a) The Widow Quin and Shawn Keogh.
(b) The Old Mahon and Christy Mahon.
(c) Christy Mahon and Shawn Keogh.
(d) Shawn Keogh and Michael James.
8. Pegeen's wedding is on hold until her fiance receives:
(a) Dispensation from the Holy Father.
(b) Her father's blessing.
(c) An endowment.
(d) A job.
9. Michael offers Christy a job as:
(a) A pall bearer.
(b) A delivery boy.
(c) A peeler.
(d) A pot boy.
10. The issue of Christy going home with the Widow Quin is resolved when:
(a) Christy falls asleep.
(b) Christy says he wants to stay with Pegeen.
(c) Shawn decides to stay with Christy and Pegeen.
(d) The Widow Quin decides to stay with Christy and Pegeen.
11. The author's dialogue and description of the night gives what impression?
(a) It is a perfect time for visiting neighbors.
(b) It is the most exciting time of day.
(c) It is peaceful and serene.
(d) It is not safe to be out after dark.
12. Pegeen's father is going out for the evening to:
(b) Go hunting.
(c) Visit the Widow Quin.
(d) Kate Cassidy's wake.
13. Pegeen's discussion with Christy after her father leaves is interrupted by:
(a) The peelers.
(b) The Widow Quin.
(c) Old Mahon.
14. The argument between the Widow Quin and Pegeen involves:
(a) The Widow Quin attempting to stay overnight at Pegeen's.
(b) The Widow Quin attempting to take Shawn away from Pegeen.
(c) The Widow Quin attempting to marry Pegeen's father.
(d) The Widow Quin attempting to take Christy home with her.
15. Christy Mahon's big secret is that:
(a) He killed his landlord.
(b) He killed his three wives.
(c) He is wanted for larceny and killing a soldier.
(d) He killed his father.
Short Answer Questions
1. One of Christy favorite pastimes after working hard all day on the farm is:
2. Pegeen's formal name is:
3. Michael James and his friends Jimmy and Philly are in a hurry to leave so that they can:
4. What does Michael James expect Shawn to do in Michael's absence?
5. The term "pot-boy" refers to:
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)