|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The term "peelers" refers to:
(a) The police.
(b) Renegade soldiers.
(c) Chicken thieves.
2. The argument between the Widow Quin and Pegeen involves:
(a) The Widow Quin attempting to take Shawn away from Pegeen.
(b) The Widow Quin attempting to stay overnight at Pegeen's.
(c) The Widow Quin attempting to marry Pegeen's father.
(d) The Widow Quin attempting to take Christy home with her.
3. The character of Christy is portrayed as:
(a) A dunce.
(b) Young and naive.
(c) Brave and heroic.
(d) A cold blooded murderer.
4. One of Christy favorite pastimes after working hard all day on the farm is:
(a) Sneaking up on ducks while they are sleeping at night.
(b) To poach rabbits in the dark.
(c) Searching for the walking dead.
(d) To flirt with girls.
5. The length of time covered in Act 1 is:
(a) One week.
(b) A fortnight.
(c) One evening.
(d) The period of Pegeen's youth.
6. Pegeen's wedding is on hold until her fiance receives:
(a) An endowment.
(b) Her father's blessing.
(c) A job.
(d) Dispensation from the Holy Father.
7. When Pegeen asks Christy if he is attracting many girls after telling his story, he replies:
(a) "I haven't told my story no place till this night."
(b) "Yes, they won't leave me be."
(d) "No, just the Widow Quin."
8. Christy committed the murder by:
(a) Stabbing the victim with a knife.
(b) Shooting the victim.
(c) Dropping a loy on the victim's skull.
(d) Strangling the victim.
9. Christy describes himself to Pegeen and the men as:
(a) A ladies man.
(b) A Godforsaken orphan.
(c) A simple, God fearing, farm boy.
(d) His Mother's favorite.
10. When Pegeen and the men hear Christy's secret, they are:
11. The setting of Act 1 takes place:
(a) In a tavern owned by Sheamus Mulroy.
(b) In the country home of Michael Flaherty.
(c) In the village of Mayo.
(d) During the wake of Kate Cassidy.
12. Which of the following characters does not appear in Act 1?
(a) Margaret Flaherty
(b) Jimmy Farrell
(c) Philly Cullen
(d) Old Mahon
13. The ethnic background of the characters in the play is:
(c) First generation American.
14. Christy is served a supper of:
(a) Beer and cheese.
(b) Bread and milk.
(c) Wine and cheese.
(d) Meat and water.
15. Pegeen's approximate age in the play is:
(a) Fifteen years old.
(b) Fifty years old.
(c) Twenty years old.
(d) Twenty five years old.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do both Shawn and Michael James claim to hear from a ditch on the side of the road that evening?
2. What does Michael James expect Shawn to do in Michael's absence?
3. The Widow Quin tells Christy that Pegeen is:
4. Pegeen's relationship with her father can be described as:
5. When the character, Christy Mahon enters the scene, he is:
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)