|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Helene have a bruise on her cheek the night after Maria drank too much?
2. How does BZ die at the end of the novel?
3. What does the hairdresser on the set give Maria?
4. What is the name of the place where the house slides on the television news that Maria is watching?
5. What does Larry Kulik tell Maria he's been hearing about her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Maria leaves a party with an actor and they have sex and why is it significant?
2. Why do Carter and Helene assume that Maria had something to do with BZ's death and what are the consequences?
3. Why does Maria decline to meet BZ's mother in Pebble Beach?
4. What fantasy does Maria have about Les and Kate and what does she realize about it?
5. What happens when Maria and Kate have dinner at Felicia and Les Goodwin's house during the Christmas holiday and why is it significant?
6. Why is Maria arrested in Vegas?
7. How does Maria prepare to meet Les in a hotel room and what happens when he arrives?
8. What does Maria remember about meeting BZ for the first time and what does it foreshadow?
9. What did the girl Maria knew who had an abortion do to obtain one and how does she tell her story?
10. When Carter tells Maria that his film will be showing at Cannes, how does she respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss symbolism in the novel. Compare and contrast highways and plumbing as symbols in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Maria's crisis of identity in the novel.
1. What is her perception of herself?
2. How does she define herself in relation to others?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of friendship in the novel.
1. What is the nature of Maria and Helene's friendship?
2. What is the nature of Maria and BZ's relationship?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)