|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Maria runs into Benny Austin at the casino, how is he different from what she remembered?
2. BZ tells Maria that Carter is sleeping with someone in the desert. Who?
3. When Maria runs into Benny Austin at the casino, he tells her, the course of true love is never a straight ______.
4. Whom does Maria call after she is arrested for stealing the actor's property in Vegas?
5. When a comedian comes into the suite at the casino and makes a comment about Maria being new talent, what does Larry Kulik say?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Maria do after she is unsuccessful in her attempt to reach Benny in Vegas?
2. What happens when Maria waits for a pay phone at the grocery store and what does it represent?
3. What does watching the television and reading the newspaper reveal about Maria's state of mind?
4. What happens when Maria and Kate have dinner at Felicia and Les Goodwin's house during the Christmas holiday and why is it significant?
5. Why is Maria arrested in Vegas?
6. Why does Maria decline to meet BZ's mother in Pebble Beach?
7. Why do Carter and Helene assume that Maria had something to do with BZ's death and what are the consequences?
8. What is significant about Maria's meeting with Les Goodwin the day of her abortion?
9. How does Maria react when she begins to bleed after the abortion and why?
10. What does Maria remember about meeting BZ for the first time and what does it foreshadow?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the relationship between mothers and daughters in the novel.
1. What is the nature of Maria and Kate's relationship?
2. What is the nature of Maria and her mother's relationship?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the representation of the film industry in the novel.
1. Discuss Maria's, Carter's, and BZ's professions within the industry.
2. How is the business of movie-making portrayed?
3. What is the dominant culture of the film industry?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the Point of View in the novel.
1. Discuss the rotating points of views in the novel:
a. Maria's third person and first person point of views.
b. Helene's point of view.
c. Carter's point of view.
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)