|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After running into Carter unexpectedly on the street in Beverly Hills, what does Maria imagine in the water that are "translucent as jellyfish"?
2. Who sends Maria two dozen roses when she returns home after being arrested in Vegas?
3. At the end of the novel, who is with BZ at the time of his death?
4. When Maria runs into Freddy Chaikin at Caesar's, how long does Maria tell him she's been in Vegas?
5. According to the person who writes the mimeographed letter that Maria receives in care of the studio, Maria's worries may date from when she was a what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Maria and Kate have dinner at Felicia and Les Goodwin's house during the Christmas holiday and why is it significant?
2. Why does the actor Maria had sex with send her two dozen roses?
3. What did the girl Maria knew who had an abortion do to obtain one and how does she tell her story?
4. What happens when Maria leaves a party with an actor and they have sex and why is it significant?
5. What does Larry Kulik tell Maria about what people are saying about her and what does it signify?
6. When Ivan Costello returns Maria's phone call, how does he behave and what does it signify?
7. Why does Maria move out of her house in Beverly Hills to an apartment and what does it signify?
8. What does Maria remember about meeting BZ for the first time and what does it foreshadow?
9. How does BZ respond to Maria's pleas that he stop hitting Helene the night after she blacks out?
10. Why is Maria arrested in Vegas?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the relationship between mothers and daughters in the novel.
1. What is the nature of Maria and Kate's relationship?
2. What is the nature of Maria and her mother's relationship?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the representation of the film industry in the novel.
1. Discuss Maria's, Carter's, and BZ's professions within the industry.
2. How is the business of movie-making portrayed?
3. What is the dominant culture of the film industry?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss mental illness as a theme in the novel.
1. How is treatment of mental illness represented in the novel?
2. What is Maria's familial history with mental illness?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)