|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the girl in the nightgown at BZ and Helene's who asks for coffee and loves New Year's Eve?
2. What is the name of the place where the house slides on the television news that Maria is watching?
3. How many times has Helene been divorced?
4. When a comedian comes into the suite at the casino and makes a comment about Maria being new talent, what does Larry Kulik say?
5. What does the manager at Fountain Avenue mistake Maria for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the girl Maria knew who had an abortion do to obtain one and how does she tell her story?
2. What does the hypnotist Maria sees tell her about her problems and how does she react?
3. How does Maria react when she begins to bleed after the abortion and why?
4. What does Maria drop off at the doctor and why?
5. How does Helene speak during Carter and Maria's divorce hearing and then after and why is it significant?
6. Why does the actor Maria had sex with send her two dozen roses?
7. When Maria wakes up and finds Helene and BZ in the room with her, what vague notion does Maria have and what does it mean?
8. What does Maria remember about meeting BZ for the first time and what does it foreshadow?
9. How does Maria prepare to meet Les in a hotel room and what happens when he arrives?
10. Why do Carter and Helene assume that Maria had something to do with BZ's death and what are the consequences?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the setting of the novel.
1. What role does the setting have in relation to the plot?
2. What is the relationship between the landscape and character development?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss conflict in the novel.
1. What is Maria's conflict with herself?
2. What is Maria's conflict with her friends and family?
3. What is Maria's conflict with society?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the portrayal of marriage in the novel.
Compare and contrast Maria and Carter's marriage with BZ and Helene's marriage. What are their similarities and differences?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)