|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Maria move out of the house in Beverly Hills?
2. How does Maria get home from Vegas after being arrested?
3. Why does Maria feel a rush of shame when she tells Benny Austin to come see her in Los Angeles?
4. Maria recalls working with a girl in Ocho Rios who had just had an abortion in what city where it was hard to get one because of arrests?
5. What does the hairdresser on the set give Maria?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened the last time Maria saw her mother and how does it parallel Maria's situation?
2. What did the girl Maria knew who had an abortion do to obtain one and how does she tell her story?
3. What happens when Maria waits for a pay phone at the grocery store and what does it represent?
4. What does the hypnotist Maria sees tell her about her problems and how does she react?
5. How does Helene speak during Carter and Maria's divorce hearing and then after and why is it significant?
6. Why is Maria arrested in Vegas?
7. How does Maria prepare to meet Les in a hotel room and what happens when he arrives?
8. What happens when Maria leaves a party with an actor and they have sex and why is it significant?
9. What does Maria realize about the day of the audition?
10. What fantasy does Maria have about Les and Kate and what does she realize about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the Point of View in the novel.
1. Discuss the rotating points of views in the novel:
a. Maria's third person and first person point of views.
b. Helene's point of view.
c. Carter's point of view.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the representation of the health industry in the novel.
1. How are medical professionals portrayed?
2. How are patient rights represented?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss autobiographical elements in "Play It as It Lays". What aspects of Didion's life is portrayed in the novel.
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)