|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Helene, what did the Guatemalan from the employment agency steal from Maria?
2. What does Maria do instead of going to the hospital for the excessive bleeding?
3. In the town where Carter is shooting that is between Death Valley and the Nevada line, why does the boy at the bathhouse know that Maria is with the movie?
4. When Maria runs into Benny Austin at the casino, he tells her, the course of true love is never a straight ______.
5. Who sends Maria two dozen roses when she returns home after being arrested in Vegas?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Maria realize about the day of the audition?
2. What does watching the television and reading the newspaper reveal about Maria's state of mind?
3. What happened the last time Maria saw her mother and how does it parallel Maria's situation?
4. What happens when Maria agrees to meet a director for a new film and what does it signify?
5. What does the hypnotist Maria sees tell her about her problems and how does she react?
6. How does Maria get home from Vegas after being arrested and why is it significant?
7. Why does Maria decline to meet BZ's mother in Pebble Beach?
8. What happens when Maria leaves a party with an actor and they have sex and why is it significant?
9. Why does Carter want Maria to stay with him in the desert where he is shooting and what happens?
10. When Carter tells Maria that his film will be showing at Cannes, how does she respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose two characters and address how they communicate their thoughts and feelings to one another. Are they effective communicators? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the portrayal of marriage in the novel.
Compare and contrast Maria and Carter's marriage with BZ and Helene's marriage. What are their similarities and differences?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relationship between mothers and daughters in the novel.
1. What is the nature of Maria and Kate's relationship?
2. What is the nature of Maria and her mother's relationship?
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)