|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Maria runs into Carter unexpectedly on the street in Beverly Hills after their divorce, where does she tell him she is going for a few days?
2. How many times has Helene been divorced?
3. On the day of the hearing, Helene shows Maria a ring that was a gift from whom?
4. According to Freddy Chaikin, what is the best medicine for things wrong in the private life department?
5. What does a columnist from the trades call to ask Maria?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Maria remember about meeting BZ for the first time and what does it foreshadow?
2. Why does Carter want Maria to stay with him in the desert where he is shooting and what happens?
3. Why do Carter and Helene assume that Maria had something to do with BZ's death and what are the consequences?
4. How does Helene speak during Carter and Maria's divorce hearing and then after and why is it significant?
5. When Ivan Costello returns Maria's phone call, how does he behave and what does it signify?
6. What does Maria do after she is unsuccessful in her attempt to reach Benny in Vegas?
7. What happens when Maria and Kate have dinner at Felicia and Les Goodwin's house during the Christmas holiday and why is it significant?
8. What does the hypnotist Maria sees tell her about her problems and how does she react?
9. When Carter tells Maria that his film will be showing at Cannes, how does she respond?
10. What happens when Maria leaves a party with an actor and they have sex and why is it significant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the representation of the health industry in the novel.
1. How are medical professionals portrayed?
2. How are patient rights represented?
Essay Topic 2
Choose two characters and address how they communicate their thoughts and feelings to one another. Are they effective communicators? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss conflict in the novel.
1. What is Maria's conflict with herself?
2. What is Maria's conflict with her friends and family?
3. What is Maria's conflict with society?
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)