|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Maria claimed she was raised to believe that what came in on the next roll would always be _____ than what went out on the last.
2. According to Carter, when Maria responds to his statement about dining out, who continues to look directly at her?
3. How does Maria respond to Carter when he says, regarding the baby's father, "I suppose you're going to tell me it's not mine"?
4. What is the name of the street where the doctor Maria went to see about the pregnancy practices?
5. According to the doctor who gives Maria the abortion, what "should be the sound of music" to her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Paulette and what is Maria's relationship to her?
2. Why does Carter tell Maria tell Kate that it is not good for her to visit Kate unannounced and what does it reveal about Kate's treatment?
3. What are the two films Maria has starred in that Carter has made and how does she feel about them?
4. When Maria thinks of the men that she has been intimate in her life, what conclusion does she come to and how is it important to the novel?
5. How does Maria feel after her abortion and what does it signify?
6. What is the location of Maria's abortion and what does it represent?
7. Who is Benny Austin and what does he represent in the novel?
8. When Maria asks if Carter and she are separated when he returns home, how does he respond and why is it significant?
9. What is the coral snake Maria thinks about as the novel opens a metaphor of?
10. How does Maria's mother die and why is it significant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss symbolism in the novel. Compare and contrast highways and plumbing as symbols in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the use of language in the novel. What is the purpose of profanity and colloquial language? What is the function of dialogue?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss loss as a major theme in the novel. What has Maria lost in her life and how does she cope with loss?
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)