|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Larry Kulik invite Maria to do at his place?
(a) Smoke pot.
(b) Attend his party.
(c) Use the sauna.
(d) Swim in the pool.
2. How does BZ die at the end of the novel?
(a) Maria kills him.
(b) Carter kills him.
(c) He commits suicide.
(d) He gets cancer.
3. In the Spring when Maria attends parties with "faggots" she drinks a good deal because when she drinks she does not what?
4. When Maria runs into Benny Austin at the casino, he tells her, the course of true love is never a straight ______.
5. When Maria asks Carter if he wants her out in the desert with him because he thinks she can't take care of herself, how does he respond?
(a) Yes, he does think she can take care of herself.
(b) No, he does not think she can take care of herself.
(c) Maybe, but he wants her to prove it.
(d) He doesn't know because he hasn't seen her in a while.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the girl in the nightgown at BZ and Helene's who asks for coffee and loves New Year's Eve?
2. What does Helene ask Carter as they wait for the papers to be signed at the divorce hearing?
3. What two phrases remain constant in Maria's dreams of a shadowy syndicate?
4. During Christmas dinner, what gift from Felicia does Kate smash against the mirror?
5. Who tells Felicia at Christmas dinner, "You don't know what the f---- you're talking about"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Maria agrees to meet a director for a new film and what does it signify?
2. How does BZ respond to Maria's pleas that he stop hitting Helene the night after she blacks out?
3. When Carter tells Maria that his film will be showing at Cannes, how does she respond?
4. What does Maria do when she runs into Benny Austin at the Flamingo and why?
5. What happened the last time Maria saw her mother and how does it parallel Maria's situation?
6. What does Larry Kulik tell Maria about what people are saying about her and what does it signify?
7. What did the girl Maria knew who had an abortion do to obtain one and how does she tell her story?
8. What fantasy does Maria have about Les and Kate and what does she realize about it?
9. Why does the actor Maria had sex with send her two dozen roses?
10. How does Helene speak during Carter and Maria's divorce hearing and then after and why is it significant?
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)