|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Maria, the story of the girl who had an abortion, seemed what as she told it?
2. What does a columnist from the trades call to ask Maria?
(a) What she thinks of Carter dating Susannah Wood and if she is starring in anything.
(b) If she is starring in anything and what she thinks of Carter's new picture.
(c) Whom she is dating and what she thinks of Carter dating Susannah Wood.
(d) What she thinks of Carter's new picture and Carter dating Susannah Wood.
3. When Carter and Helene ask Maria questions at Neuropsychiatric, what three things does she answer about her plans for the future?
(a) Get Carter; live with Kate and Carter; do some gardening.
(b) Get Kate; live with Kate alone; do some canning.
(c) Get Kate; live with Kate alone; do some gardening.
(d) Get Kate; live with Kate and Carter; do some canning.
4. Whom does Maria want to talk to the night she sleeps with a bottle of gin by her bed because the pain medication isn't working?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Les Goodwin.
5. At the end of the novel, who is with BZ at the time of his death?
(c) No one.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of stories leap out at Maria from the newspaper so that she can no longer read it?
2. When Maria runs into Carter unexpectedly on the street in Beverly Hills after their divorce, where does she tell him she is going for a few days?
3. What does Larry Kulik tell Maria he's been hearing about her?
4. According to Helene, who was "shuttling them in and out of that motel like the dailies"?
5. When Maria goes to the hairdresser, a girl comes in and tells her hairdresser that she just had an operation for what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What fantasy does Maria have about Les and Kate and what does she realize about it?
2. What does Maria do after she is unsuccessful in her attempt to reach Benny in Vegas?
3. What does Maria remember about meeting BZ for the first time and what does it foreshadow?
4. How does Maria react when she begins to bleed after the abortion and why?
5. What does watching the television and reading the newspaper reveal about Maria's state of mind?
6. What did the girl Maria knew who had an abortion do to obtain one and how does she tell her story?
7. What happens when Maria waits for a pay phone at the grocery store and what does it represent?
8. How does Helene speak during Carter and Maria's divorce hearing and then after and why is it significant?
9. What happens when Maria leaves a party with an actor and they have sex and why is it significant?
10. How does Maria prepare to meet Les in a hotel room and what happens when he arrives?
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)