|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Susannah Wood three weeks after they've been in the desert so that Carter had to shoot around her bruise?
(a) She got kicked by a horse.
(b) She got beat up.
(c) She got in a car accident.
(d) She fell.
2. Carter has done a film that Maria has not seen. It is entered in what film festival?
(c) Edinburgh International.
(d) New York.
3. When Maria runs into Benny Austin at the casino, he tells her, the course of true love is never a straight ______.
4. At three in the morning in the desert, when Maria asks Carter, "Why do you fight," what does he say?
(a) "Because you fight back."
(b) "To see if you love me."
(c) "To find out if you're alive."
(d) "Because I hate you."
5. After running into Carter unexpectedly on the street in Beverly Hills, what does Maria imagine in the water that are "translucent as jellyfish"?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells Felicia at Christmas dinner, "You don't know what the f---- you're talking about"?
2. In Vegas, what does she take that belongs to the actor that she sleeps with?
3. When Maria goes to the hairdresser, a girl comes in and tells her hairdresser that she just had an operation for what?
4. When Maria runs into Freddy Chaikin at Caesar's, how long does Maria tell him she's been in Vegas?
5. At the end of the novel, who is with BZ at the time of his death?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Maria prepare to meet Les in a hotel room and what happens when he arrives?
2. How does Helene speak during Carter and Maria's divorce hearing and then after and why is it significant?
3. What is significant about Maria's meeting with Les Goodwin the day of her abortion?
4. How does BZ respond to Maria's pleas that he stop hitting Helene the night after she blacks out?
5. What happens when Maria and Kate have dinner at Felicia and Les Goodwin's house during the Christmas holiday and why is it significant?
6. What does Maria remember about meeting BZ for the first time and what does it foreshadow?
7. When Carter tells Maria that his film will be showing at Cannes, how does she respond?
8. What does Maria realize about the day of the audition?
9. What does the hypnotist Maria sees tell her about her problems and how does she react?
10. What fantasy does Maria have about Les and Kate and what does she realize about it?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)