|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Maria's mother ran her car off the highway outside of what town?
2. Before Maria can have the abortion, what does the doctor want to know, according to the man she speaks with on the phone?
(a) How old she is.
(b) If this is her first pregnancy.
(c) How many weeks she is pregnant.
(d) If this is her first abortion.
3. What excuse does Maria tell herself regarding her new sleeping arrangements?
(a) That it is too hot to sleep in the house.
(b) That it is safer to not sleep in the house.
(c) That the house is too big for one person.
(d) That she is waiting for Carter to return.
4. What object does Maria later try to remember if the doctor took with him when he left the bedroom?
(a) A scalpel.
(b) A speculum.
(c) A pail.
(d) A depressor.
5. The season in New York, where Maria lost so much weight the agency wouldn't book her, what did she see every time she looked at food?
(a) Ominous coils.
(b) Enthusiastic lines.
(c) Disgruntled frowns.
(d) Cheerful smiles.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maria throw out in order to insure bleeding?
2. How many dollars does Maria withdraw in cash from the bank to pay for the abortion?
3. Why does BZ tell Maria that they had to shut down the set in the desert?
4. What does Helene see Maria wearing when she visits the hospital as the novel opens?
5. Why does Maria prefer the studio cut of the second picture Carter made with her?
Short Essay Questions
1. As the novel opens, where is Maria Wyeth and why is it significant?
2. In the period before Maria has her abortion, what does she think about her mother's death and why is it significant?
3. Who is Benny Austin and what does he represent in the novel?
4. What does Maria's unannounced visit to her agent, Freddy Chaikin, reveal about her profession as an actress and the business of movie-making?
5. What does Maria do the first month after she and Carter break up and what does it signify?
6. How does Maria feel after her abortion and what does it signify?
7. When Maria thinks of the men that she has been intimate in her life, what conclusion does she come to and how is it important to the novel?
8. What are the two films Maria has starred in that Carter has made and how does she feel about them?
9. How does Maria's mother die and why is it significant?
10. What does Maria do when she arrives in Baker, the location where Carter is shooting, and what does it represent?
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)