|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of pants is the man who takes Maria to the house for the abortion wearing?
(a) Plaid pants.
(b) White duck pants.
(c) Dark blue pants.
2. In the elevator of Freddy Chaikin's office, who tells Maria, "The word on Carter's dailies is sensational"?
(a) An actor.
(c) An agent.
3. What does Helene see Maria wearing when she visits the hospital as the novel opens?
(a) A dress.
(b) A bikini.
4. According to Maria, why did her family move to Silver Wells?
(a) Because the weather was nice.
(b) Because they were running from the law.
(c) Because she got a job there.
(d) Because her father owned the town.
5. What does Carter threaten Maria with if she does NOT have an abortion?
(a) He threatens to tell the media.
(b) He threatens to take Kate.
(c) He threatens to kill her.
(d) He threatens to divorce her.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the house where Maria has her abortion, what is the doctor's table NOT fitted with?
2. According to Carter, when Maria responds to his statement about dining out, who continues to look directly at her?
3. According to Maria, why shouldn't she have shown up at Freddy Chaikin's without calling?
4. According to Maria, what do some people in the hospital where she is committed call her?
5. When Helene arrives at the hospital to see Maria as the novel opens, what is she told?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does BZ respond to Maria's inquiries about whom Carter is sleeping with and what does it signify?
2. How do Larry Kulik and BZ behave around the girl in the white halter dress at a party Maria attends and why is it significant?
3. When Maria thinks of the men that she has been intimate in her life, what conclusion does she come to and how is it important to the novel?
4. Where does Maria begin to sleep after her breakup with Carter and why is it significant?
5. When Freddy offers Maria an opportunity for Morty Landau to see film of her, what does her response indicate about her priorities?
6. What does Maria do the first month after she and Carter break up and what does it signify?
7. What does Maria do when she arrives in Baker, the location where Carter is shooting, and what does it represent?
8. What is the tone of Helene's recollections of Maria and why is it significant?
9. In the period before Maria has her abortion, what does she think about her mother's death and why is it significant?
10. What memory does Carter have of Maria and the baby and what does it reveal about Maria?
This section contains 962 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)