|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Helene arrives at the hospital to see Maria as the novel opens, what is she told?
(a) That Mrs. Lang is resting.
(b) That Mrs. Wyeth has been discharged.
(c) That Maria is swimming.
(d) That Maria is sleeping.
2. How does Maria respond to Carter when he says, regarding the baby's father, "I suppose you're going to tell me it's not mine"?
(c) "It is yours."
(d) "I don't know."
3. Maria claimed she was raised to believe that what came in on the next roll would always be _____ than what went out on the last.
(b) The same.
(c) None of the above.
4. What object does Maria later try to remember if the doctor took with him when he left the bedroom?
(a) A pail.
(b) A speculum.
(c) A scalpel.
(d) A depressor.
5. Whom is the New York Times profile about that Helene brings with her to see Maria?
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of pants is the man who takes Maria to the house for the abortion wearing?
2. Besides Carter, who might be the father of Maria's baby?
3. What does the man who doesn't like artificial lemon juice at BZ and Helene's do for a living?
4. What season is it when Carter stops living in the house in Beverly Hills?
5. At BZ and Helene's, why does Maria focus on remembering brushing Kate's hair?
Short Essay Questions
1. What time does Maria want to be on the freeway and why is it significant?
2. When Maria tells Carter that she is pregnant and that he may not be the father, how does he respond and why is it significant?
3. What does Maria do when she arrives in Baker, the location where Carter is shooting, and what does it represent?
4. What does Maria do the first month after she and Carter break up and what does it signify?
5. What is the only time in Maria's day where she does not think about the past nor is overcome with dread?
6. How do Larry Kulik and BZ behave around the girl in the white halter dress at a party Maria attends and why is it significant?
7. What does Maria's unannounced visit to her agent, Freddy Chaikin, reveal about her profession as an actress and the business of movie-making?
8. Where did Maria grow up and why is it significant?
9. What kind of man was Maria's father and what impact did it have on Maria?
10. When Freddy offers Maria an opportunity for Morty Landau to see film of her, what does her response indicate about her priorities?
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)