|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As the novel opens, what fictional character does Maria say she does NOT ask what makes this person evil?
2. Where was Maria born?
(a) Austin, Texas.
(b) San Jose, California.
(c) Reno, Nevada.
(d) Boise, Idaho.
3. After learning of her mother's death, what did Maria do for a month?
(c) Not work.
4. The season in New York, where Maria lost so much weight the agency wouldn't book her, what did she see every time she looked at food?
(a) Ominous coils.
(b) Enthusiastic lines.
(c) Cheerful smiles.
(d) Disgruntled frowns.
5. How does Maria respond to Carter when he says, regarding the baby's father, "I suppose you're going to tell me it's not mine"?
(c) "I don't know."
(d) "It is yours."
Short Answer Questions
1. What excuse does Maria tell herself regarding her new sleeping arrangements?
2. According to Maria, "_______always spoke on the telephone as if a spurious urgency could mask her radical lack of interest in talking to anyone."
3. What kind of pants is the man who takes Maria to the house for the abortion wearing?
4. Why is the volume of the movie that man watches in the next room where Maria has her abortion turned up?
5. How is Maria playing on the lawn with the baby as Carter recalls in the beginning of the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Maria do the first month after she and Carter break up and what does it signify?
2. What memory does Carter have of Maria and the baby and what does it reveal about Maria?
3. Who is Paulette and what is Maria's relationship to her?
4. What is the tone of Helene's recollections of Maria and why is it significant?
5. What is the location of Maria's abortion and what does it represent?
6. When Maria thinks of the men that she has been intimate in her life, what conclusion does she come to and how is it important to the novel?
7. What does Maria do when she arrives in Baker, the location where Carter is shooting, and what does it represent?
8. In the period before Maria has her abortion, what does she think about her mother's death and why is it significant?
9. What are the two films Maria has starred in that Carter has made and how does she feel about them?
10. What kind of man was Maria's father and what impact did it have on Maria?
This section contains 972 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)