|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Helene, what is often true of selfish women?
(a) They don't put on weight.
(b) They drink heavily.
(c) They don't smoke.
(d) They drive very fast.
2. According to Maria, "_______always spoke on the telephone as if a spurious urgency could mask her radical lack of interest in talking to anyone."
(b) Her mother.
3. According to Maria, what was "something no one in the city liked to be near"?
4. Why does Freddy Chaikin say to Maria that he was surprised to hear that she wanted to work again?
(a) Because she refused her last part.
(b) Because she was getting a divorce.
(c) Because she didn't return his calls.
(d) Because she walked off set.
5. After learning of her mother's death, what did Maria do for a month?
(c) Not work.
Short Answer Questions
1. After he returns from his film shoot, how does Carter respond to Maria's question if he's going to stay at the house in Beverly Hills?
2. According to Carter, who besides him, Maria, and the possible father, does NOT know about the affair?
3. Maria claimed she was raised to believe that what came in on the next roll would always be _____ than what went out on the last.
4. At the house where Maria has her abortion, what is the doctor's table NOT fitted with?
5. What is the name of the first picture Carter made with Maria that never got distributed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of arrangements does Maria have to make in order to terminate her pregnancy at this time?
2. How do Larry Kulik and BZ behave around the girl in the white halter dress at a party Maria attends and why is it significant?
3. How does Maria feel after her abortion and what does it signify?
4. Why does Kate live in a facility for special needs children?
5. Why does Carter tell Maria tell Kate that it is not good for her to visit Kate unannounced and what does it reveal about Kate's treatment?
6. Who is Benny Austin and what does he represent in the novel?
7. Where did Maria grow up and why is it significant?
8. What is the only time in Maria's day where she does not think about the past nor is overcome with dread?
9. In the period before Maria has her abortion, what rituals does she perform in order to induce menstruation and why does she do them?
10. Where does Maria begin to sleep after her breakup with Carter and why is it significant?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)