|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Benny Austin tell Maria about her mother's health the last time she ever saw her?
(a) That she was in perfect health.
(b) That she had cancer.
(c) That she was too thin.
(d) That she was a little depressed.
2. What excuse does Felicia give about Kate smashing her gift against the mirror?
(a) That Kate is tired.
(b) That Kate doesn't like her.
(c) That Kate feels sick.
(d) That Kate misses Carter.
3. When Maria runs into Carter unexpectedly on the street in Beverly Hills after their divorce, where does she tell him she is going for a few days?
(a) Las Vegas.
(b) San Francisco.
(c) New York.
(d) Mexico City.
4. What does Larry Kulik invite Maria to do at his place?
(a) Attend his party.
(b) Swim in the pool.
(c) Use the sauna.
(d) Smoke pot.
5. At the restaurant with Les Goodwin the day of Maria's abortion, what does she tell Les she wants to order?
(a) A salad and two drinks.
(b) A very large steak and three drinks.
(c) Chocolate pie and one drink.
(d) Nothing but water.
6. At the end of the novel, who is with BZ at the time of his death?
(d) No one.
7. During Christmas dinner, what gift from Felicia does Kate smash against the mirror?
(a) A music box.
(b) A ball.
(c) A train.
(d) A doll.
8. BZ tells Maria that Carter is sleeping with someone in the desert. Who?
(b) A waitress.
(d) An extra.
9. Who tells Maria, "You're lying in water and it's warm and you hear your mother's voice"?
(a) The director.
(b) The hypnotist.
(c) The psychiatrist.
(d) The astrologer.
10. When Carter and Helene ask Maria questions at Neuropsychiatric, what three things does she answer about her plans for the future?
(a) Get Kate; live with Kate and Carter; do some canning.
(b) Get Kate; live with Kate alone; do some canning.
(c) Get Kate; live with Kate alone; do some gardening.
(d) Get Carter; live with Kate and Carter; do some gardening.
11. On the set of the television show in which she has a guest appearance, why does Maria pray that the cameramen would be slow with the set-ups?
(a) Because she doesn't know her lines.
(b) Because she is late to meet Les.
(c) Because she is drunk.
(d) Because she is in pain.
12. Who tells Felicia at Christmas dinner, "You don't know what the f---- you're talking about"?
13. In Vegas, what does she take that belongs to the actor that she sleeps with?
(a) His phone.
(b) His wallet.
(c) His clothes.
(d) His Ferrari.
14. When Maria tells Helene that they don't have to have lunch the day of the divorce hearing, what does Helene say?
(a) "Take it day by day, Maria. Lunch tomorrow."
(b) "Day of days, Maria. Of course lunch."
(c) "A day to forget, Maria. No lunch, of course."
(d) "A day to remember, Maria. Lunch next week."
15. How many times has Helene been divorced?
(a) Three times.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Maria's dreams of a shadowy syndicate, what does her contact want her to supply information about?
2. According to the person who writes the mimeographed letter that Maria receives in care of the studio, Maria's worries may date from when she was a what?
3. Why does Carter tell Maria in the desert where he is filming that she should leave if she feels "that way."
4. What is the name of the casino where Maria runs into Benny Austin?
5. What is the name of the street Maria and Kate drive up and down in search of a Christmas tree?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)