|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is in New York that Helene is so upset about she tells Maria three times?
(a) Her husband.
(b) Her hairdresser.
(c) Her mother-in-law.
(d) Her therapist.
2. According to Maria, the story of the girl who had an abortion, seemed what as she told it?
3. In her dreams of Les Goodwin and Kate, Maria imagines the three of them going to the beach to do what?
(a) Lie on the beach.
(b) Gather mussels.
(d) Make sand castles.
4. Whom does Maria call when the blood become so fast she soaks three pads in fifteen minutes?
5. At the end of the novel, who is with BZ at the time of his death?
(b) No one.
6. When Carter and Helene ask Maria questions at Neuropsychiatric, what three things does she answer about her plans for the future?
(a) Get Kate; live with Kate alone; do some gardening.
(b) Get Kate; live with Kate alone; do some canning.
(c) Get Carter; live with Kate and Carter; do some gardening.
(d) Get Kate; live with Kate and Carter; do some canning.
7. After running into Carter unexpectedly on the street in Beverly Hills, what does Maria imagine in the water that are "translucent as jellyfish"?
8. Who tells Maria, "You're lying in water and it's warm and you hear your mother's voice"?
(a) The hypnotist.
(b) The psychiatrist.
(c) The director.
(d) The astrologer.
9. When Maria attends parties with occasional, third-string "faggots," why is she considered a "modest asset"?
(a) Because she listens to them and understands the marginal distinctions which preoccupy them.
(b) Because she listens to them and knpws lots of famous stars.
(c) Because she is beautiful and understands the marginal distinctions which preoccupy them.
(d) Because she is beautiful and knows lots of famous stars.
10. Why does Helene have a bruise on her cheek the night after Maria drank too much?
(a) Because BZ hit her.
(b) Because she fell.
(c) Because she had an accident.
(d) Because Maria hit her.
11. Why does Maria feel a rush of shame when she tells Benny Austin to come see her in Los Angeles?
(a) Because Benny never goes to Los Angeles.
(b) None of the answers is correct.
(c) Because Maria never goes to Los Angeles.
(d) Because she would not see him if he came.
12. Carter has done a film that Maria has not seen. It is entered in what film festival?
(c) New York.
(d) Edinburgh International.
13. On the set of the television show in which she has a guest appearance, why does Maria pray that the cameramen would be slow with the set-ups?
(a) Because she doesn't know her lines.
(b) Because she is drunk.
(c) Because she is in pain.
(d) Because she is late to meet Les.
14. What did the girl Maria worked with have to do in order to get a legal D & C?
(a) Blackmail the governor.
(b) Sleep with the mayor.
(c) Provide false testimony.
(d) Embezzle money.
15. In the courtroom, Helene confirmed that the defendant, Carter Lang, had repeatedly _______and in other ways _________the plaintiff, Mrs. Maria Lang.
(a) Derided; abused.
(b) Humiliated; derided.
(c) Struck; humiliated.
(d) Yelled at; derided.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Maria tells BZ the she doesn't want to go to Mexico City with him and Helene to see Susannah Wood's interiors, what does BZ say?
2. Whom does Maria want to talk to the night she sleeps with a bottle of gin by her bed because the pain medication isn't working?
3. On the day of the hearing, Helene shows Maria a ring that was a gift from whom?
4. In Maria's dreams of a shadowy syndicate, what does her contact want her to supply information about?
5. How many times has Helene been divorced?
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)