|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Maria shows up on Carter's set in the desert, why does he tell her to leave and do something with Helene?
(a) Because she's too nervous.
(b) Because she's making everyone nervous.
(c) Because she's making Susannah nervous.
(d) Because she's making him nervous.
2. Maria receives a mimeographed letter in care of the studio that is from whom?
(a) A psychiatrist.
(b) A director.
(c) A hypnotist.
(d) A fan.
3. According to Helene, who was "shuttling them in and out of that motel like the dailies"?
4. Who at Christmas dinner is "preternaturally attuned to the threat of voices not even raised"?
5. What kind of stories leap out at Maria from the newspaper so that she can no longer read it?
(a) Stories involving dead actresses.
(b) Stories involving children in peril.
(c) Stories involving working mothers.
(d) Stories involving natural disasters.
6. Whom did the girl Maria worked with ask a question regarding getting an abortion?
(a) A friend in the Governor's office.
(b) A friend in the City Commissioner's office.
(c) A friend in the Mayor's office.
(d) A friend in the District Attorney's office.
7. When Maria runs into Benny Austin at the casino, how is he different from what she remembered?
(a) He was taller and more frail.
(b) He was taller and heavier.
(c) He was shorter and more frail.
(d) He was shorter and heavier.
8. Why does Carter tell Maria in the desert where he is filming that she should leave if she feels "that way."
(a) Because she asks if Carter doesn't love her anymore.
(b) Because she asks if Carter is sleeping with Susannah.
(c) Because she asks if Carter stole her money.
(d) Because she asks if Carter beat up Susannah.
9. Maria recalls working with a girl in Ocho Rios who had just had an abortion in what city where it was hard to get one because of arrests?
(a) Los Angeles.
(c) New York.
10. What excuse does Felicia give about Kate smashing her gift against the mirror?
(a) That Kate doesn't like her.
(b) That Kate feels sick.
(c) That Kate is tired.
(d) That Kate misses Carter.
11. What is the charge at Maria and Carter's divorce hearing that is uncontested?
(a) Loss of income.
(b) Emotional alienation.
(d) Mental cruelty.
12. What does Larry Kulik tell Maria he's been hearing about her?
(a) That she's terrific in the show.
(b) That she's having an affair.
(c) That she had an abortion.
(d) That she's ready for the nuthouse.
13. The first time Maria sees Carter after the divorce hearing, what does he mean when he tells her, "Don't get into that"?
(a) He means that she shouldn't do pornography.
(b) He means that she shouldn't starve herself.
(c) He means that she shouldn't sleep with BZ.
(d) He means that she shouldn't do drugs.
14. Whom does Maria call when the blood become so fast she soaks three pads in fifteen minutes?
15. Why does Helene have a bruise on her cheek the night after Maria drank too much?
(a) Because BZ hit her.
(b) Because she had an accident.
(c) Because Maria hit her.
(d) Because she fell.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the street Maria and Kate drive up and down in search of a Christmas tree?
2. When Maria goes to the hairdresser, a girl comes in and tells her hairdresser that she just had an operation for what?
3. What does the bloodied tissue Maria drops off for the doctor turn out to be?
4. Who acts as Maria's witness at Maria and Carter's divorce hearing?
5. When Maria attends parties with occasional, third-string "faggots," why is she considered a "modest asset"?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)