|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of bird does Maria watch at the hospital as the novel opens?
(a) A blue jay.
(b) A sparrow.
(c) A woodpecker.
(d) A hummingbird.
2. What does the receptionist at Freddy Chaikin's office tell Maria when she arrives without calling?
(a) He's on the phone.
(b) He's in the projection room.
(c) He's left for lunch.
(d) He's with another client.
3. When BZ comes over, what does Maria ask him about Carter that he doesn't want to answer because he wants him to finish his picture?
(a) How much money he has spent on his mistress.
(b) Where he flew with his mistress to.
(c) Who the woman he is sleeping with is.
(d) If the woman he is sleeping with is the star of the picture.
4. What does Helene see Maria wearing when she visits the hospital as the novel opens?
(c) A dress.
(d) A bikini.
5. According to Maria, what object signifies that her new sleeping arrangement is just temporary?
(a) The beach towel.
(b) The sleeping bag.
(c) The blanket.
(d) The pillow.
6. What does the man who doesn't like artificial lemon juice at BZ and Helene's do for a living?
(a) He's a lawyer.
(b) He's a writer.
(c) He's a therapist.
(d) He's a masseur.
7. After learning of her mother's death, what did Maria do for a month?
(a) Not work.
8. According to Carter, who besides him, Maria, and the possible father, does NOT know about the affair?
(a) Maria's sister.
(b) The wife of the possible father.
(c) Carter's sister.
(d) The wife of Maria's uncle.
9. When Maria visits Kate at the hospital and warns the nurse about Kate's nightmares, what does Maria realize about getting an abortion?
(a) That she expected she would get pregnant again.
(b) That she expected it wouldn't be her last.
(c) That she expected to die.
(d) That she expected she wouldn't go through with it.
10. How many days does Maria realize she has not been bleeding?
(b) Fifty one.
(d) Twenty five.
11. At the house where Maria has her abortion, what is the doctor's table NOT fitted with?
12. Maria's mother ran her car off the highway outside of what town?
13. Maria claimed she was raised to believe that what came in on the next roll would always be _____ than what went out on the last.
(b) None of the above.
(d) The same.
14. As the novel opens, whom does Helene say she does NOT visit Maria at the hospital for?
15. According to Carter, when Maria responds to his statement about dining out, who continues to look directly at her?
(b) No one.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Carter, what does the hospital where Kate is staying tell him about Maria's frequent visits to see her daughter?
2. Why does Maria prefer the studio cut of the second picture Carter made with her?
3. How does everything look to Maria as she leaves the house where she had her abortion?
4. What is the name of the street where the doctor Maria went to see about the pregnancy practices?
5. According to Maria, what did Carter do after she married him?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)