|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The season in New York, where Maria lost so much weight the agency wouldn't book her, what did she see every time she looked at food?
(a) Ominous coils.
(b) Disgruntled frowns.
(c) Cheerful smiles.
(d) Enthusiastic lines.
2. How does Maria respond to Carter's statement about always dining out?
(a) She says that he always invites her.
(b) She says that he never invites her.
(c) She says that he always dines out.
(d) She says that he doesn't always dine out.
3. According to Maria, what object signifies that her new sleeping arrangement is just temporary?
(a) The sleeping bag.
(b) The blanket.
(c) The pillow.
(d) The beach towel.
4. As the novel opens, whom does Helene say she does NOT visit Maria at the hospital for?
5. What does BZ do with the first picture that Carter made with Maria that she doesn't like?
(a) He seldom runs it.
(b) He destroys it.
(c) He sells it.
(d) He runs it often.
6. What was the studio cut of the second picture Carter made with Maria?
(a) A close up shot of a motorcycle in a parking lot.
(b) A long dolly shot of Maria strolling across a campus.
(c) A long dolly shot of the motorcycle gang on the freeway.
(d) A close up shot of Maria sitting on a bench.
7. What type of bird does Maria watch at the hospital as the novel opens?
(a) A hummingbird.
(b) A woodpecker.
(c) A sparrow.
(d) A blue jay.
8. What city does Maria have her abortion in?
(b) Los Angeles.
(d) Las Vegas.
9. How many dollars does Maria withdraw in cash from the bank to pay for the abortion?
(a) Three hundred.
(b) One thousand.
(c) One hundred.
(d) Seven hundred-fifty.
10. What does Maria say to the baby after Carter warns her about the baby getting chilled?
(a) "Mommy will take care of it."
(b) "Your father loves you."
(c) "Mommy will be right back."
(d) "Your father wants to talk to you."
11. When BZ comes over, what does Maria ask him about Carter that he doesn't want to answer because he wants him to finish his picture?
(a) How much money he has spent on his mistress.
(b) Who the woman he is sleeping with is.
(c) If the woman he is sleeping with is the star of the picture.
(d) Where he flew with his mistress to.
12. How does everything look to Maria as she leaves the house where she had her abortion?
13. Why does Maria prefer the studio cut of the second picture Carter made with her?
(a) Because the girl on screen seemed not to have a care in the world.
(b) Because the motorcycle gang seemed to get away with murder.
(c) Because the motorcycle gang seemed to be punished for their crimes.
(d) Because the girl on screen seemed to have a knack for controlling her own destiny.
14. According to Maria, why did Carter stop seeing Sidney and Ruth Loomis?
(a) Because a part Ruth had was given to another actress.
(b) Because Sidney didn't write a movie for him.
(c) Because Ruth didn't star in a movie of his.
(d) Because a show Sidney was writing was canceled midseason.
15. What accessory does Helene bring to the hospital for Maria that belongs to her?
(a) A diamond ring.
(b) Gold hoops.
(c) A chiffon scarf.
(d) A leather belt.
Short Answer Questions
1. As the novel opens, what fictional character does Maria say she does NOT ask what makes this person evil?
2. What does Maria eat and drink during her new pastime?
3. At the house where Maria has her abortion, what is the doctor's table NOT fitted with?
4. After Carter stops living in the house in Beverly Hills, where does Maria begin to sleep?
5. What is the name of the second picture Carter made with Maria?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)