|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the subject of Maria and the man's conversation as they drive to get her abortion?
2. What is the name of the street where the doctor Maria went to see about the pregnancy practices?
3. At Anita Garson's party, what is the young girl Larry Kulik is watching doing?
(a) Swimming in the pool.
(b) Sleeping on a couch.
(c) Dancing on the terrace.
(d) Eating in the kitchen.
4. According to Carter, when Maria responds to his statement about dining out, who continues to look directly at her?
(a) No one.
5. When Maria visits Kate at the hospital and warns the nurse about Kate's nightmares, what does Maria realize about getting an abortion?
(a) That she expected to die.
(b) That she expected she wouldn't go through with it.
(c) That she expected it wouldn't be her last.
(d) That she expected she would get pregnant again.
6. After Carter stops living in the house in Beverly Hills, where does Maria begin to sleep?
(a) By the pool.
(b) At the beach.
(c) In the car.
(d) On the deck.
7. As the novel opens, what meal does Carter like to have out?
(d) Midnight snack.
8. What pastime does Maria begin to do after Carter stops living in the house in Beverly Hills?
(a) Drive the freeway.
(b) Walk through the park.
(c) Swim in the ocean.
(d) Run the boardwalk.
9. What season is it when Carter stops living in the house in Beverly Hills?
10. According to Maria, "_______always spoke on the telephone as if a spurious urgency could mask her radical lack of interest in talking to anyone."
(d) Her mother.
11. Maria states that she may have been holding all the aces but ___________?
(a) What if she lost?
(b) Where would she go?
(c) Who was it for?
(d) What was the game?
12. According to Maria, why did Carter stop seeing Sidney and Ruth Loomis?
(a) Because Sidney didn't write a movie for him.
(b) Because Ruth didn't star in a movie of his.
(c) Because a show Sidney was writing was canceled midseason.
(d) Because a part Ruth had was given to another actress.
13. After he returns from his film shoot, how does Carter respond to Maria's question if he's going to stay at the house in Beverly Hills?
(a) "You weren't supposed to be here."
(b) "I paid for it, didn't I?"
(c) "All my things are here, aren't they?"
(d) "I thought you wanted me to."
14. What does Maria say to the baby after Carter warns her about the baby getting chilled?
(a) "Mommy will be right back."
(b) "Mommy will take care of it."
(c) "Your father loves you."
(d) "Your father wants to talk to you."
15. What was the domestic and foreign gross of the second picture Carter made with Maria?
(a) Way over eight million.
(b) Barely one million.
(c) Just under eight million.
(d) Just at one million.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the elevator of Freddy Chaikin's office, who tells Maria, "The word on Carter's dailies is sensational"?
2. What is the name of the boyfriend Maria had before she met Carter?
3. What is Maria consumed by after her mother's death when she lived in New York?
4. The season in New York, where Maria lost so much weight the agency wouldn't book her, what did she see every time she looked at food?
5. How does BZ respond when Maria asks him if he ever gets tired of doing favors for people?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)