|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the man who doesn't like artificial lemon juice at BZ and Helene's do for a living?
(a) He's a therapist.
(b) He's a masseur.
(c) He's a writer.
(d) He's a lawyer.
2. What is Maria consumed by after her mother's death when she lived in New York?
(a) Questions about the universe, the nature of death.
(b) Questions about what her mother was doing, thinking.
(c) Questions about what her father was doing, where he was.
(d) Questions about working, saving for retirement.
3. After Carter stops living in the house in Beverly Hills, where does Maria begin to sleep?
(a) On the deck.
(b) By the pool.
(c) At the beach.
(d) In the car.
4. What excuse does Maria tell herself regarding her new sleeping arrangements?
(a) That it is too hot to sleep in the house.
(b) That the house is too big for one person.
(c) That she is waiting for Carter to return.
(d) That it is safer to not sleep in the house.
5. Why does Maria dislike the first picture that Carter made with her?
(a) Because the girl on screen had no knack for anything.
(b) Because the girl on screen isn't Maria.
(c) Because the girl on screen is dead.
(d) Because the girl on screen doesn't look like her.
6. According to Helene, what is often true of selfish women?
(a) They don't put on weight.
(b) They drink heavily.
(c) They don't smoke.
(d) They drive very fast.
7. What phrase does Helene's friends who are about ten years older than Helene say to one another?
(a) Heavens to Betsy.
(b) Heaven pajamas.
(c) Lord, have mercy.
(d) God almighty.
8. How does Maria respond to Carter when he says, regarding the baby's father, "I suppose you're going to tell me it's not mine"?
(b) "I don't know."
(c) "It is yours."
9. When Maria lived in New York, what did she do?
(a) She was a teacher.
(b) She was a model.
(c) She was a waitress.
(d) She was a lawyer.
10. How many dollars does Maria withdraw in cash from the bank to pay for the abortion?
(a) Three hundred.
(b) One thousand.
(c) Seven hundred-fifty.
(d) One hundred.
11. When BZ comes over, what does Maria ask him about Carter that he doesn't want to answer because he wants him to finish his picture?
(a) Where he flew with his mistress to.
(b) If the woman he is sleeping with is the star of the picture.
(c) Who the woman he is sleeping with is.
(d) How much money he has spent on his mistress.
12. How does Maria respond to Carter's statement about always dining out?
(a) She says that he always dines out.
(b) She says that he always invites her.
(c) She says that he doesn't always dine out.
(d) She says that he never invites her.
13. At Anita Garson's party, what is the young girl Larry Kulik is watching doing?
(a) Dancing on the terrace.
(b) Eating in the kitchen.
(c) Swimming in the pool.
(d) Sleeping on a couch.
14. What is the name of the boyfriend Maria had before she met Carter?
(a) Ivan Coster.
(b) Ivan Costello.
(c) Isaiah Costello.
(d) Isaiah Coster.
15. According to Helene, what is Maria's manner like when she sees her by the swimming pool at the hospital as the novel opens?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does BZ respond when Maria asks him if he ever gets tired of doing favors for people?
2. According to Carter, what does the hospital where Kate is staying tell him about Maria's frequent visits to see her daughter?
3. According to Carter, when Maria responds to his statement about dining out, who continues to look directly at her?
4. How is Maria playing on the lawn with the baby as Carter recalls in the beginning of the novel?
5. What object does Maria keep in her makeup box that she is careful not to examine?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)