Chapters 1 - 3
• The protagonist, Maria Wyeth, is in a mental hospital. She is being asked routine questions about whom she is and why she is there. She is thinking back on her life.
• Maria grew up in Silver Wells, a small town in Nevada that is no longer populated because it is in a missile range.
• Her father either won the town in a bet or inherited it, and it had hundreds of acres of mesquite, a zinc mine, trinket shop, miniature golf course, reptile museum, and a restaurant with some slots and crap tables.
• Being a gambling man, her father won and lost a cattle ranch, a ski resort, and a motel in Silver Wells, and had an affair with a woman who ran an empty restaurant.
• Her father's fortunes turned when a highway that would have brought people to the town was never built.
• Her mother...
This section contains 2,602 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)