|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through 88c - 95a.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What condition does Cebes put forth for Socrates' conclusion to be valid?
(a) Socrates needs to be happy to die.
(b) The soul lives after death.
(c) One cannot commit suicide.
(d) The gods allow you to die properly.
2. What analogy does Simmias abandon in 88c-95a?
3. What was Socrates aware of according to Phaedo?
(a) The need for more arguments.
(b) That it was time to die.
(c) That Phaedo didn't trust him.
(d) That he needed to leave Athens.
4. In "Phaedo", what is the abstract fact about the world that makes it true that two sticks are of the same type?
(c) Almost the same.
5. What did Socrates decide he should write before his death?
(a) A letter to his students.
(b) A novel.
(d) A plea for his life.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is weaker than the lyre according to Socrates?
2. What are course and moderation part of according to Socrates?
3. What does Socrates think is the highest form of art according to his conversation with Cebes?
4. Why are moderates amongst the masses also moderate out of fear according to Socrates?
5. What is virtue according to Socrates?
This section contains 240 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)